The Elder Scrolls Online

"wow is finally bleeding subs" "wow is hemorrhaging subs" -- says everyone for the past 2-3 years... funny how they're still around :p

I tired this game during the stress test and over the weekend and it just didn't grab me at all... the mechanics were either confusing or just ugly and it put me off in a big way...

if anything it just made me want to play Skyrim... in the meantime I'll just go back to that 'other beta' ;)

First thing I thought when it loaded: "7 years and hundreds of millions for this?!"

I'd rather re-purchase all of the Elder Scrolls games for $80 in that new retail SKU than even believe this game will be an enjoyable success. Either way I'd be wasting money.

I'm the opposite, if I go to play an MMO I want one that I'll be in for many months if not a few years hopefully, when doing so. I therefore have a fairly small history of MMO games I've played too much since most of them didn't make the cut past the first week or two with me :eek: . WOW didn't make it, as an example, during Burning Crusade (gear treadmill pve with a hollow easily-manipulated economy and meaningless pvp, for example). There are a lot of gems in the MMO genre but, they don't get huge press since like with FPS or other genres, people tend to discuss the "heavy hitter mainstream" games the most.

TESO isn't something that actually fits that description except for having a major brand name to it, but you'll see many people arguing it does with extremely limited perspective and experience playing it.

I don't think that's what I was saying. I was saying that for the moment, most games seem to have that particular effect on me, where I don't seem to give a hoot after a month or two. Unable to hold my attention really.

Now, I WISH I an MMO could hold my attention like WoW did back in the day, but that just isn't really happening now, outside of FF14, but I don't feel the NEED to want to play it, unfortunately, though I do like it more than the rest.

Stiler, another shining example of outright misinformation masquerading as truth of the game there. TESO is far more sandbox than themepark but only playing low level as a stress test warm body, you wouldn't know and have no way to know ;).

BiH, I misunderstood your post then :). My bad.

GoldenTiger do you realize what you are right now? Responding to every post you don't agree with, often times with huge walls of text?

Sorry dude, but the majority has spoken. Welcome to reality. All signs point to flop.

You are just another example of a rabid fanboy trying to ward off any contrary opinion towards his chosen game of poopsocking.

Maybe you should go look up some old dead threads regarding hyped MMO releases of yore (Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Aion, Rift, Tera, TOR, etc). Compare those long-since silent fanboys with yourself. See any resemblance?

The game will still garner some subs but it's not going to be a resounding success. It'll probably have decent initial sales based off name alone and then, after a month, a severe drop-off in players. With this competing against WoW's new expansion and EQNext beta in March... what does this POS have to offer other than a franchise name? It does nothing new or innovative. And what it does do, it does badly. Terrible animations, sound, etc... It has all the trademarks of garbage.

TESO is far more sandbox than themepark but only playing low level as a stress test warm body, you wouldn't know and have no way to know ;).

Then Zenimax better get off their asses and start marketing this game properly because the impression people have of it at this point is apparently not in-line with reality. If the game flops because gamers have an inaccurate understanding of what to expect, that's not the fault of the consumer.

Why are we even arguing if it will fail? Who cares? Do you get a prize if it does?

Simple fact of the matter is there is no way to tell how successful or how much of a failure a game will be until release.

Remember WoW beta with everyone talking how bad it would fail next to EQII? How the shitty graphics, cartoonish world, lack of endgame, and bug ridden it was?

Remember how unanimous the reviews were for AoC? Then once you hit 20 and got into the meat of the game it sucked?

As long as Zenimax creates an engaging world, excellent story, decent combat, decent social options, a competent UI, and gets rid of fedex quest style objectives, and has enough content ready for a solid 6 months to a year of playtime they'll have a hit on their hands.

Why are we even arguing if it will fail? Who cares? Do you get a prize if it does?

Simple fact of the matter is there is no way to tell how successful or how much of a failure a game will be until release.

Remember WoW beta with everyone talking how bad it would fail next to EQII? How the shitty graphics, cartoonish world, lack of endgame, and bug ridden it was?

Remember how unanimous the reviews were for AoC? Then once you hit 20 and got into the meat of the game it sucked?

As long as Zenimax creates an engaging world, excellent story, decent combat, decent social options, a competent UI, and gets rid of fedex quest style objectives, and has enough content ready for a solid 6 months to a year of playtime they'll have a hit on their hands.

It's funny that you bring up AoC, because I remember that vividly. I also remember that every game that came out after it had even less content and polish after their respective starting zones. It's amazing how a little perspective can your thinking, but AoC content after level 20 was fine by today's standards, save for a few grinding spots.

Meh, the complete lack of endgame for the first 6-9 months is really what did it in. No raids, no sieges, nadda, nothings...

I just now realized I completely forgot about the beta event this weekend.

ESO is far more sandbox than themepark

Could you explain this? What exactly is "sandbox" about ESO? I am seeing nothing sandbox-like in my experience with beta, descriptions of the game's content, nor its advertising.

I also do not see anything like what EQ:Next is supposed to have, which is pretty much unmistakeably sandbox (to the far extreme where its as if the devs aren't even bothering making content themselves).

So what is "sandbox" about ESO? At what point does it become like this?

It's funny that you bring up AoC, because I remember that vividly. I also remember that every game that came out after it had even less content and polish after their respective starting zones. It's amazing how a little perspective can your thinking, but AoC content after level 20 was fine by today's standards, save for a few grinding spots.

and AoC still sucked.

all I know is I'm looking forward to WildStar and EQNext more than anything else in the MMO-genre

and AoC still sucked.

all I know is I'm looking forward to WildStar and EQNext more than anything else in the MMO-genre

MMOg become easy themeparks.
The social aspects of MMO was lost somewhere in between Everquest and WoW.
I dont expect the elder scrolls to change this either.
I hope but not much.

Content today is worhtless as you run trough it to fast and you could set raid content first and have people not have anything new for 50 levels or remove the 50 levels of progression and just do raid.

MMOg become easy themeparks.
The social aspects of MMO was lost somewhere in between Everquest and WoW.
I dont expect the elder scrolls to change this either.
I hope but not much.

Content today is worhtless as you run trough it to fast and you could set raid content first and have people not have anything new for 50 levels or remove the 50 levels of progression and just do raid.

EVE seems to get it right
but i think for some of the to come back you would need a model like EVE where things can be permanently lost
and most things are player made

I filled the survey out that I just got in my email. I'm glad they waited this long to email the survey. I found I was able to be much more objective. I gave high marks for gfx/world/atmosphere, but they scored mediocre everywhere else. I would have scored this game higher if it had been my first MMO. Scoring the game as someone who has been playing mmo's since the 1st generation I wasn't able to give it high marks. I'm hoping to see some true innovation in the genre and bring back that awesome large scale world again. Less instanced worlds/areas, more freedom in progression, and lore built through gameplay and not walls of text. EQNext? Star Citizen? World of Darkness? That new announced open world Star Wars game? Heres hoping I get something soon.

The Elder Scrolls Online launches on PC and Mac on April 4th 2014, Bethesda has announced...the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions follow in June 2014

Bethesda released a new gameplay trailer, War in Cyrodiil, designed to highlight the game's PvP system, which lets hundreds of players fight together and against each other...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcQCkJFsG0#t=1

The Elder Scrolls Online launches on PC and Mac on April 4th 2014, Bethesda has announced...the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions follow in June 2014

Bethesda released a new gameplay trailer, War in Cyrodiil, designed to highlight the game's PvP system, which lets hundreds of players fight together and against each other...

Nothing in that video really made the combat look cool :(

I wasn't impressed during my first round of beta. I hope my second experience is better.

Just what people want, silly Elder Scrolls combat.

With 2006 graphics and animations. This screams FLOP, F2P in 6 months.

I honestly cannot believe they thought this was a good idea. I wonder if it was just one of those upper management ideas "MMOs are all the rage, just look at WoW, we could make billions!!!". Elder Scrolls is about an immersive, single player experience. I never wanted, nor do I know anyone who wanted, an Elder Scrolls MMO.

I'd much rather have a Skyrim that had co-op play somehow in it (maybe along the same lines of Borderlands 2 coop)....

I'd much rather have a Skyrim that had co-op play somehow in it (maybe along the same lines of Borderlands 2 coop)....

I think this is what everyone who played any elderscrolls game and wanted multiplayer wanted. No one, or very few, were wanting an MMO. People just wanted to explore Tamriel with their friends. My brothers and I would imagine running around Tamriel together every time an elderscrolls game was released (expansions too), since Morrowind. Never did we think, "Hey, I want to pay a subscription fee for a game that vaguely resembles elderscrolls gameplay and is populated with hundreds of people I don't care to interact with."

Elder Scrolls Co-Op is all they need to make. That's what people would buy. : )

I think this is what everyone who played any elderscrolls game and wanted multiplayer wanted. No one, or very few, were wanting an MMO. People just wanted to explore Tamriel with their friends. My brothers and I would imagine running around Tamriel together every time an elderscrolls game was released (expansions too), since Morrowind. Never did we think, "Hey, I want to pay a subscription fee for a game that vaguely resembles elderscrolls gameplay and is populated with hundreds of people I don't care to interact with."

This summed up my feelings. At this point, most MMOs take the same core gameplay and dress it up with decorations from a franchise.

For me, Elder Scrolls is always going to be the First Person RPG. Just let me run around the game with someone else, don't try to drape Elder Scrolls skin over a WoW skeleton.

Is this for sure going to be a $15 monthly fee? I for some reason thought it was a flat $60.
What we know so far:

• $15 monthly fee
  • Releases next year (Pretty damn fast if you ask me given its current state)
  • Coming to Windows PC, XONE, PS4, and OSX
  • XONE does NOT cross-platform play with PS4, OSX, and PC. *
  • PS4 does NOT cross-platform play with PC, OSX and XONE. *
  • Windows folks get to explore Tamriel with Apple folks.
* Bethesda calls it [cross-platform] a nightmare, but given that FFXIV is on PC, PS3, and soon PS4, and FFXI is on PC, PS2, and 360, I have no idea what kind of bullshit Bethesda is smoking. :rolleyes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ext-gen-cross-platform-play-just-a-nightmare/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-not-have-cross-platform-play/

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/

This summed up my feelings. At this point, most MMOs take the same core gameplay and dress it up with decorations from a franchise.

For me, Elder Scrolls is always going to be the First Person RPG. Just let me run around the game with someone else, don't try to drape Elder Scrolls skin over a WoW skeleton.

You can just wait, I'm sure it will be free to play after 6 months or so.

Considering that 99% of the people wanted a simple co-op mod or feature, i'd say this is a winning bet. Hopefully ESO's failure will make bethesda cash in on the co-op feature. Seriously--make the next ES game without Co-Op, then sell a co-op DLC. Rake in the cash. I'm not saying I like the idea of having to pay for a feature that could be included in the game, but shit if they want to get greedy with it, fine. Just take my money and give me fucking co-op.

Back