The Civilization V Thread

Change 'SkipIntroVideo = 0' to 1 in the " UserSettings" in the my games\civ V folder

Do you have an inkling as to why you were attacked by all the other civilizations simultaneously, or are you in the dark about that?

Well the timeline went like this:
1) I wiped out the Ottomans in said 3000-year bloodfeud. Never did combat with any other Civ, all was peaceful and some allied with me against the Ottomans but didn't really participate.
2) A penninsula had 2 city-states; 1 I was ally with and 1 the city wanted me to kill. I attacked it to take over that city and keep my ally. This caused a bunch of Civs to drop our open borders.
3) Aztecs, Germans went hostile on the same turn. This was maybe 10 turns after the city-state thing. Siam followed a few turns later after complaining about how I was so warlike.
3) Before the wars started I built a city about 10 squares from the border with France. After the other wars started France declared war a few turns later.

So now its France coming in from the north-east, aztecs from the south (by far the nastiest), germans on the south-east. Siam sent like 2 units but hasnt really been a factor yet.

My civ spawned next to france and china. Napoleon keeps asking me to declare war on china but never seems to move his units into her boarders.

The second time we declared war on her I took the capital city, which is really hard without siege units, and napoleon has yet to move a single troop into her territory or back me in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if he declares war on me while 80% of my units are fighting someone else.

is it just me or does tech tree take forever? I'm playing a game with the quick settings and I'm in the 20th century and I barely into the industrial age...i remember previous Civ game that I had the Atomic bomb in the 1800s :D

is it just me or does tech tree take forever? I'm playing a game with the quick settings and I'm in the 20th century and I barely into the industrial age...i remember previous Civ game that I had the Atomic bomb in the 1800s :D

I would prefer it the way you are noticing it now instead of getting the atomic bomb in the 1800's.

i've been utilizing great people to take a couple tech trees really far, then training the other ones that i really don't car about much later so it's a 3 turn deal.

My first playthrough of Civilization V went as follows:

Played a standard game with the Romans. I encountered the French and the Songhai in the beginning, but just ignored them. I focused on expanding and developing my cities, while making allies with all the (many) city-states in my area.

Not soon after, the belligerent French decided to declare war on me, claiming that they needed room to expand. :rolleyes: Big mistake. Once they did that, my six city-state allies declared war on the French and basically attacked any French units near their cities. I quickly shifted my development to building legion units. The two city-states that were "militant" even gifted me with some swordsman units. :)

With my legion units, I basically conquered all of the French cities (I offered a peace treaty, along with demands for gold as compensation for declaring war on me, but they rejected the proposal :p). I was on a roll, so I decided to declare war on the Songhai not soon after. I easily overwhelmed their forces, conquered their cities, and became the sole power on my continent. Now I'm focusing on expanding to other continents and dealing with the powers that exist there. ;)

--

So far, I enjoying Civ 5 quite a bit. Yes, there are quite a few changes from previous Civs (such as cultural policies, removal of religions, no stacking of units, etc.) but there are enough gameplay concepts that were left unchanged, enough that an experienced Civ player can easily jump into Civ 5 without getting lost.

My civ spawned next to france and china. Napoleon keeps asking me to declare war on china but never seems to move his units into her boarders.

The second time we declared war on her I took the capital city, which is really hard without siege units, and napoleon has yet to move a single troop into her territory or back me in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if he declares war on me while 80% of my units are fighting someone else.

Actually, that would be pretty impressive if the AI thought that way. Nice strategy.

Actually, that would be pretty impressive if the AI thought that way. Nice strategy.

I would actually be rather pleased to find out they were that smart. All the french seem to do is move their units back and forth. Also Siam has a scout between two of my cities that just switches between the same 2 tiles over and over. I've felt like killing it cause it's mildly annoying, or buying up the tiles around it to trap it for laughs.

Well the timeline went like this:
1) I wiped out the Ottomans in said 3000-year bloodfeud. Never did combat with any other Civ, all was peaceful and some allied with me against the Ottomans but didn't really participate.
2) A penninsula had 2 city-states; 1 I was ally with and 1 the city wanted me to kill. I attacked it to take over that city and keep my ally. This caused a bunch of Civs to drop our open borders.
3) Aztecs, Germans went hostile on the same turn. This was maybe 10 turns after the city-state thing. Siam followed a few turns later after complaining about how I was so warlike.
3) Before the wars started I built a city about 10 squares from the border with France. After the other wars started France declared war a few turns later.

So now its France coming in from the north-east, aztecs from the south (by far the nastiest), germans on the south-east. Siam sent like 2 units but hasnt really been a factor yet.

This sounds great.

Very tempted to get the game. Having the 100 turn limit on the demo sucks. :p First time playing a Civ game, now I can see why it's so addicting...

bah I'm stuck working late, I was in the middle of wiping the japanese off the face of the continent

The game just crashed, and I can't remember how long it's been since I've saved.

100 turn limit sucks? That's plenty to get a feel for the game.

It didn't seem like I had progressed that far or anything. Only met one other nation and what not. Felt like I barely scratched the surface.

First time playing though, thinking I might pick it up at Fry's for $39.99 and add it to Steam.

It didn't seem like I had progressed that far or anything. Only met one other nation and what not. Felt like I barely scratched the surface.

First time playing though, thinking I might pick it up at Fry's for $39.99 and add it to Steam.

Yeah, this is kind of cool, I've bought a couple of games physically and then added them to Steam.

Yeah, this is kind of cool, I've bought a couple of games physically and then added them to Steam.

I was hoping there would be more that could do that. Wanted to add Crysis and BC2 to Steam but can't. There is a list of games on the Steam Support that says what games can be.

Srsly. Last game I bought retail was DoW2 Chaos Rising and only because I could register it with Steam. Also when you reformat it's nice to just turn Steam on and leave it on all night to get all your games, no more baby sitting discs and carefully punching in CD Keys.

Why not just copy your steam folder to another drive or something and run when copied back, done, no donwloading needed :D

I love the game and have already played more hours than I care to admit to but I am somewhat surprised by the poor performance I am experiencing. I am running a slightly long in the tooth, but very OCd Q6600 and 8800GT (w/ 2gb ram). Not sure where the problem is, but I definitely get much better performance if I run on DX9 mode, except that it crashes after a few minutes of play in this mode.

DX10/11 mode runs very awkwardly, it is sometimes smooth and then gets very slow as if it's loading stuff in the back ground, whenever a leader wants to talk there is a long delay as it loads their avatar. I have not been able to find where the bottleneck is, or which setting could be turned down to improve things.

I was able to run Crysis very well on this machine, got better FPS than most with similar hardware, but this game is kicking my ass. Any ideas?

i5 750 (currently at stock) and GTX 460 SLI @ 1920x1200. Starts to stutter REALLY BADLY and the turns take forever after ~100-200 turns.

:(

Sucks, because I'm enjoying it.. immensely...

I got home from "work" yesterday (played the tutorials while there since I'm deployed) and fired up the game and was having a blast. I made it a few hundred turns in (about 4 hours straight) before I was barely able to stay awake any longer and had to quit. I can now understand the "just one more turn" mentality of this series. I started playing Civ 4 for the first time about a week ago and I already like 5 better. I'm running in DX11 mode at 1920x1080 mostly high settings on my G73 notebook and haven't had any issues.

I find the new golden age system somewhat odd. I'm playing as the Persians (where I get +50% inherent GA length) and I feel like I've spent half the game 150 turns in in a golden age with only two great people used to start them. Consequently I have a metric shit ton of gold and nothing really to spend it on even with buying up tiles and giving tons of gold to city states to earn their favor. I just don't see anything else to spend it on, and perhaps I missed the part where I get to allocate resources towards science or culture and away from gold (like in Civ 4).

I find the new golden age system somewhat odd. I'm playing as the Persians (where I get +50% inherent GA length) and I feel like I've spent half the game 150 turns in in a golden age with only two great people used to start them. Consequently I have a metric shit ton of gold and nothing really to spend it on even with buying up tiles and giving tons of gold to city states to earn their favor. I just don't see anything else to spend it on, and perhaps I missed the part where I get to allocate resources towards science or culture and away from gold (like in Civ 4).

What difficulty level are you playing on?

Also, do you have any extra GA length modifiers from your government?

Set the focus of the cities to different things instead of balanced. You can also convert gold into research and stuff. You can also use the gold to buy buildings and units instead of just waiting for them to be built.

You don't have any choice but to add this game to Steam. It forces it during the install.

Yeah it's tied to Steam DRM, however you don't have to buy the game from Steam and thus take advantage of 3rd party sales which is what I did with a couple of games.

The game is nothing but fantastic. That said, I've come across random minor bugs and minor missing features (such as being able to disable forced auto-play for that stupid opening movie). Can't wait for them to release the World Builder stuff (which of course is free and through Steam).

The game is nothing but fantastic. That said, I've come across random minor bugs and minor missing features (such as being able to disable forced auto-play for that stupid opening movie). Can't wait for them to release the World Builder stuff (which of course is free and through Steam).

The movie issue was covered in a previous post, the setting is available in the user settings ini.

as for CPU threads the game uses up to atleast 8 it seems based on the INI

running with system in sig iam having no issues game does nto seems slow either even in late turns /shrug

Back