The Civilization V Thread

Played the demo hoping it would convince me to hold off on buying the game. It did no such thing. Bought it and started the download before heading to class. Its going to be a very long few hours.

Downloading the Demo. If I like it, I will be getting the game. It would be my first Civ game.

Can't wait to get home tonight, annoying I put off exercising yesterday to watch football so I won't even be able to sit my fat ass down to play civ until after 9:00.

I really hate timed demos. Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, now Civ 5. :(

Never played a Civ game before and somewhat followed Civ 5, watching gameplay videos, reading interviews etc. Tried the demo and just after I settled a second city the damn "buy the full game" thing popped up.

Did like what I was able to play though. Probably just going till wait to the Xmas Steam sales to get it, as well as everything else I've skipped so far this year. :p

I really hate timed demos. Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, now Civ 5. :(

Never played a Civ game before and somewhat followed Civ 5, watching gameplay videos, reading interviews etc. Tried the demo and just after I settled a second city the damn "buy the full game" thing popped up.

Did like what I was able to play though. Probably just going till wait to the Xmas Steam sales to get it, as well as everything else I've skipped so far this year. :p

good plan (if you are not yet a civ 4 addict), the steam xmas sale will probably have the deluxe version or some other version with some swag for less than today's cost...

after I play the demo I'll know if I can continue with civ4 for until then too ;)

Played at lunch, which made ma a half hour late getting back to work :D

So far, my review is that it plays similar to old civs, but with better graphics and a better UI.

One gripe so far, I have dual monitors, and when you mouse to the edge of the screen it moves the game map. That is great, but when you mouse to the edge of the screen which borders the 2nd monitor the mouse pops out of the game and onto my 2nd monitor, instead of scrolling the game. I'd prefer for the mouse to be "locked" into the game like it is in WoW.

Speaking of which, raiding is going to suck tonight, because I'll just be thinking about how could be playing Civ V instead :p

Got mine just now from Frys for 39. Comes with basic manual and includes tech tree poster. Full manual is on the disc. Cant wait to play.

Speaking of which, raiding is going to suck tonight, because I'll just be thinking about how could be playing Civ V instead :p

I think my DPS will take a significant hit tonight.. I've got another monitor to play civ on

coming from an Age of Empires stand point, I played Civ 1-4 over time... never could quite get into it... however I'm dl'n the demo to give it another go...... I had a 3.3mb dl speed before I left home for work, I'm pretty sure it was done right after i left.... now I have to wait till 6pm Pst.... =(

2 more hours till I get to try the Demo. Come on. I am looking forward to giving the game a shot.

One gripe so far, I have dual monitors, and when you mouse to the edge of the screen it moves the game map. That is great, but when you mouse to the edge of the screen which borders the 2nd monitor the mouse pops out of the game and onto my 2nd monitor, instead of scrolling the game. I'd prefer for the mouse to be "locked" into the game like it is in WoW.

I've got this problem also, which is kind of annoying. It happened in SupCom 2 also, when you used the second monitor as your map. The mouse would continue onto the secondary monitor instead of being bound to the main game screen. Has anyone found a quick fix yet?

I downloaded the demo...

It does not work in full screen (sets refresh rate at 75 where monitor only supports 60) and crashes in window mode.... Amazing...

Really spoils the taste of the game.

Just had a look at the game for literally five minutes. Really nice.

Only one comment to make so far. The interface felt almost transparent. I was expecting a minimalistic interface but it surprised me how minimalist it actually was. It felt like a more modern, souped up version of Revolution.

From YouTube:

3yYda.jpg

I think I might be a goner. I'm eating my dinner in front of my monitor, always a bad sign.

Has anybody found a summary screen for resources yet? I hope it still exists. I've got the game telling me I have two luxury resources and I should trade one, but I can't seem to find a way to check myself without going into the diplomacy trading screen.

Man, this game is good. I'm playing as Rome, was sneak-attacked by the Ottamans but the way cities can defend themselves now is a godsend. Counter-attack on the Ottamans netted me a city before we made a peace treaty. But that left me vulnerable to the Aztecs who I'm shooing away now. Drama!

I got it on disk and looks like its the same as in Supreme Commander 2 - the disk just unlocks the download from Steam which is getting hammered right now and showing at 45 minute download. This approach annoys me.

I did not have a good first play which kind of worries me.

I was playing on a lower level difficulty and couldn't even keep up with the Barbarians. Every turn I would get 2-3 popups warning me about barbarian settlements. As soon as I wiped one out 2 more would pop up. I just couldn't keep up and they were constantly wiping out my workers and scouts. I couldn't even get my build times down so it was taking me 20+ just to build a worker only to get killed two turns later.

Hopefully I just got screwed on my starting area.

I did not have a good first play which kind of worries me.

I was playing on a lower level difficulty and couldn't even keep up with the Barbarians. Every turn I would get 2-3 popups warning me about barbarian settlements. As soon as I wiped one out 2 more would pop up. I just couldn't keep up and they were constantly wiping out my workers and scouts. I couldn't even get my build times down so it was taking me 20+ just to build a worker only to get killed two turns later.

Hopefully I just got screwed on my starting area.

building warriors instead of scouts might help.

I was doing that also. I was trying to scout my area quickly to find out where the barbarians kept coming from to focus my attacks to stop them from building settlements. I didn't have much choice since it was 36 turns to build a warrior versus 13 or so for a scout. The only thing helped was the ability with the archers to attack from a distance but it still took 2 turns or so to kill each barbarian group while they kept establishing settlements.

I have just never run into this before in any Civ game.

Never played a Civ game before so I went through all the tutorials which were set up pretty well. I beat the main tutorial mission without really knowing what I'm doing but I just burned Moscow down cause the Russian chick was giving me attitude :D.

I started the single player game but it seems like it just assigns you a random leader and throws you on a random map? I thought there would be a campaign mode for each leader that explores the pivotal events of their rule. I figured the single player would be something along the lines of the Age of Empires campaign or am I totally wrong :(.

Never played a Civ game before so I went through all the tutorials which were set up pretty well. I beat the main tutorial mission without really knowing what I'm doing but I just burned Moscow down cause the Russian chick was giving me attitude :D.

I started the single player game but it seems like it just assigns you a random leader and throws you on a random map? I thought there would be a campaign mode for each leader that explores the pivotal events of their rule. I figured the single player would be something along the lines of the Age of Empires campaign or am I totally wrong :(.
Nah, Civ is pretty much completely sandbox. You make up your own story for your Civ through your actions. That's the beauty of it to it's fans, but admittedly it's not for everyone.

There's a tutorial mission? I just kind of clicked start, didn't see any options for a tutorial.

The default difficulty seems a bit odd ( think it's the second from the easiest). I started next to napolean and he's yet to try and attack me (though he did ask me to attack china with him). He hasn't even complained about cities near his borders.

What's the reason you can't stack units together? That's annoying.

That was by design, saw the YouTube video explaining that apparently players though it overweighted things. I've dabbled with Civ IV, not much of a strategy game player but this actually might be something to pick up. Does it work with multi-monitor?

I'm liking it so far, and have a few thoughts.

Hexes. originally I thought they would be a detriment to the game because of only 6 possible movement directions instead of 8 that squares have, but really it isn't that big of a difference.

Combat. I'm one of the few people it seems that actually LIKED stacks of doom, but honestly, the strategic options are much more diverse with one unit per tile. kuala lumpur ended up being placed right behind a mountain on the coast so it only had two hexes that I could attack from. When Singapore wanted them gone, it was actually a decent challenge to take them out.

I wish that happiness was not global, I feel that it lost significant depth now that it isn't per city, not to mention how annoying it is that captured cities are essentially useless for 40-50 turns until you build courthouses. It's really easy to stagnate your empire if you don't raze most cities you conquer.

I'm also not that big of a fan of the way that culture/civics work now. It's essentially turned into another research tree, just like science. Does anyone know if we can even culture flip cities anymore? Don't get me wrong, its still fun, but I miss the depth that culture and happiness gave me in Civ 4.

On a side note, does anyone know if we can trade world maps? I'd really love a peek at whats going on across the pond without sending a few scouts or military units over.

All in all its a pretty fun game and still addictive. I really have to tear myself away from the screen because I have to get up early tomorrow. :(

That was by design, saw the YouTube video explaining that apparently players though it overweighted things. I've dabbled with Civ IV, not much of a strategy game player but this actually might be something to pick up. Does it work with multi-monitor?

Been told yes it does, there is a demo on Steam now that should also support it if you want to see how your particular system looks.

What's the reason you can't stack units together? That's annoying.

I hope you know about combined arms tactics - or else you might be in trouble. I haven't played a full game yet, but if combat does play like Panzer General, then you're going to have to combine, tank type units, artillery type units, infantry type units, and air type units, and have them work in unison.

Panzer General was about knowing which units to move first, and how to use them once moved - it could get extremely complicated.

Stacking units was the worst thing about the previous civ games because it meant there was no need for combined arms, and therefore no need for tactics.

Back