• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Anti-Fold Server

Arkaine23 said:
Mage!! Can't you just use su -c in your script? In my fold services on Overclockix, I always launch folding with-

chown -R some_user:some_user /foldirectory
su -c "/path/to/FAHConsole -options -options > /dev/null &" some_user


So while root launches my fold service as part of init, it is launching the folding client under some user's credentials. No need for sudo. For while root su's * ls well with the /world.
HAHA! What do you get when two Linux people speak? I......I......I don't understand what they said. :confused: I think I will just keep lurking in other posts now.

Feel free to continue your posting. My pathetic attempt at a hyjack has ended. Nothing more to see here. :eek:
 
ICE_9 said:
HAHA! What do you get when two Linux people speak? I......I......I don't understand what they said. :confused: I think I will just keep lurking in other posts now.

Feel free to continue your posting. My pathetic attempt at a hyjack has ended. Nothing more to see here. :eek:


you know, that some_user deal, he's really talking about me in a bad way... I think.... who know could be the cure for cancer for all I know...

I'm with ya Ice on this one.
 
ICE_9 said:
HAHA! What do you get when two Linux people speak? I......I......I don't understand what they said. :confused: I think I will just keep lurking in other posts now.

Feel free to continue your posting. My pathetic attempt at a hyjack has ended. Nothing more to see here. :eek:




./FAH502-Linux.exe -superchargedtag


:D

 
In linux how do you manually force a static ip address on eth0?

I got 2 boxen ready to upload WUs, but my DHCP server blew up and they don't have any ip addresses :(
 
budec: "ifconfig eth0 static.ip.address"
"route add default gw your.default.gw" (may not need this)
Then try it.

Arkaine23: the version of "su" I'm using is the one built into busybox, it doesn't have the -c option. I'll try with a different version... it uses PAM as well. Time to keep going on that, I guess.

Ah well, there's no place like ~me.

 
upriverpaddler said:
Isn't the overclockix distro made by the overclockers.com team. You should call this

[h]ardocpix

It is made by another team but it's put out for anyone to use and thus, it's advertised in this forum also since there we are obviously one of the biggest folding teams out there. The distro is not specific to that one team and includes many other things other than just folding on it. There's a reason the distro is so big.

I have personally tried it but on the one machine I might use it on it doesn't like too much. I never could get it installed on the hard drive and work properly. It was mostly okay when run off the CD, though. If I knew much about Linux I'd probably be okay by changing some stuff, but as things sit, WinXP actually runs on the system better. If I had a more up to date system to run it on, I would probably be fine. I think it would be a good starter Linux distro since it includes about everything you would need and everything is pretty much setup from the beginning.

 
Arkaine23- Author of Overclockix is very prompt on questions for all on his distro. PM him over at ocforums.com if anybody ever needs any help.

mage on the other hand, provides no support what so ever. I installed his fold server on my alarm clock and now I can find my cat....still...
 
marty9876 said:
I installed his fold server on my alarm clock and now I can find my cat....still...
No comment.

Still working on it. No luck yet. PAM isn't easy to get going.

 
My distro's not cooked from scratch but from a lovingly prepared stew consisiting mostly of Knoppix, with dashes of pure Debian, Kubuntu, Kanotix, and KDE-look.org. Also, mage was a big help taking my linux-client based folding service to the next level. And its my co-developer that works out the wine-based folding service and LTSP stuff. One of these days I oughtta learn perl....
 
Woot ! I can't believe I got this working on my first try.. Thanks Mage for your big contributions. And special thanks to Marty. I must be your linux twin... the only way I figured it out was by looking for the answers to the questions you posted !!

Gotta go put this on the other 25 boxen before the Monday contest start (well, mehbe 2 boxen...)
 
unhappy_mage said:
If you run "chown -R nobody /fold" it should do all of them; adding "-R" to a chown or chmod command means to apply it recursively. This means all the directories lower than this will also be changed, all the files lower will be changed, everything.

Wow, Mage, this solved a ton of problems I've been having. I've been dabbling in GUI type linux distros... but this shows me that I need to know the underlying processes better. Thanks one more time ...

 
4 info's & 2 questions for Mage...
1. Installed the "Anti-Fold Server" on a single thread AMD machine fine & using EM3 to monitor from my xp box (all working fine)
2. Installed on a hyperthreaded P4 machine & maybe messed with it too much, but when I found one FAHclient.exe running in the Fold directory, and another each in the 1 directory and 2 directory (maybe i did that...) I ended up with 3 clients running , so I stopped & deleted the client from the Fold directory, but now seem to have to run the remaining 2 clients from terminal commands . So I figure I killed the service installation somehow.

>>>3. What is the correct way to install for a double threaded machine ?

>>>4. If I run multiple boxen on the same lan with this installation, do I need to change anything other than the network box name ?

5. From #2 above, EM3 sees the FAHclient in both directories, & gets the protein & points info, but shows no progress even though I can tell the work unit is progressing on the box. I figure this relates to the way I messed with the installation.
6. I like the lean & mean folding distro that you have developed for us. I replaced Fedora Core 3 on 2 boxes so far ! & Planning on replacing another if I can get the installation ironed out for a hyperthreaded P4.



Gotta go now, I've got 12 pallets of Pentium2 crappers to send on to Marty !
 
RPhArrow said:
Gotta go now, I've got 12 pallets of Pentium2 crappers to send on to Marty !

I *almost* hope your kidding. I've go crappers everyplace...
 
1) Good...
2) Probably easiest to reinstall...
3) It *Should* install itself ready-to-run with 2 clients. No mucking about required.
4) Shouldn't need to; if you're using DHCP especially.
5) This is probably a problem with permissions. Try "chown -R nobody /fold" and see if it works. If so, it's a known problem and I'm working on it. Still.
6) Thanks! Still a lot of work to be done, but I'll get there eventually.
Gotta go now, I've got 12 pallets of Pentium2 crappers to send on to Marty !

I *think* he's kidding...

 
marty9876 said:
I *almost* hope your kidding. I've go crappers everyplace...
Well , since I figure 12 pallets of P2 are equal to 6 pallets of P4's :)eek:) I guess I should hang on to them... I don't wanna overload your crapper dock ! Maybe next time :D

 
unhappy_mage said:
1) Good...
2) Probably easiest to reinstall...
3) It *Should* install itself ready-to-run with 2 clients. No mucking about required.
4) Shouldn't need to; if you're using DHCP especially.
5) This is probably a problem with permissions. Try "chown -R nobody /fold" and see if it works. If so, it's a known problem and I'm working on it. Still.
6) Thanks! Still a lot of work to be done, but I'll get there eventually.
Thanks mage ! I already tried the chown command as indicated, but no change at EM3. I also figured a reinstall on that P4 box is in order, but since the contest started, I guess I'll have to wait for a propitious moment.... when I'll lose the least amount of points !

I don't think Marty bought my argument that 12 pallets of P2 = 6 Pallets of P4 :D

 
Honestly, all joking aside, running QMD's on a p4 it's about 25 P2's to one P4.

Not kidding... P2's running normal WU's
 
I think the best way to do this is run the "oneunit" thingy. Try "/etc/fold" and see what it tells you the options are. If it mentions "oneunit", then run "/etc/fold stop", followed by "/etc/fold oneunit". This will just finish the WU it's working on, and then stop. Then you can shut it down without losing progress.
RPhArrow said:
I don't think Marty bought my argument that 12 pallets of P2 = 6 Pallets of P4 :D
Me neither. Mary isn't the greatest at math.

 
marty9876 said:
Honestly, all joking aside, running QMD's on a p4 it's about 25 P2's to one P4.

Not kidding... P2's running normal WU's
Whoah -- I thought they (Stanford) pulled all the QMD's.... How do I get configured to get one ? Can I run QMD on 2 threads with 1GB RAM ?

Sorry to pull your chain about 12 pallets of crappers.... next time I want to make a joke, I guess I'll have say 120 pallets !!

 
RPhArrow said:
Whoah -- I thought they (Stanford) pulled all the QMD's.... How do I get configured to get one ? Can I run QMD on 2 threads with 1GB RAM ?

Sorry to pull your chain about 12 pallets of crappers.... next time I want to make a joke, I guess I'll have say 120 pallets !!


I'm pretty sure you don't want to run 2x QMD's on a HT chip. Memory bus is flooded, slows down everything tons.
 
Hey mage -- I'm the noob here, but your folding linux installation has matured quickly & I think we need to start a clean thread & ask for a sticky... I think this is a great tool for [H]ardFolders and others if you want to put it out there. Aahh, I can see the downsides already... but so far nobody outside of readers of this thread are aware.. What do you think ?

RPhArrow
 
What, an on-topic thread?

I want to get it up to my standards before I ask for stickage. Right now it isn't, believe it or not. Samba shares are still a little precariously balanced. Easy to break ;)

 
unhappy_mage said:
What, an on-topic thread?

I want to get it up to my standards before I ask for stickage. Right now it isn't, believe it or not. Samba shares are still a little precariously balanced. Easy to break ;)

Yah - I understand where you are coming from.. So I just now noticed that since I went back and ran the chown command again 10 minutes ago, that EM3 is pulling in my 2 threaded "Anti-Fold Server" with full updatage ! BTW that is a pretty bulky anti-descriptive name for your efforts, do you have a better alternative ?
And if you need anyone other than marty to try and break things, I'm your guy !

 
RPhArrow said:
BTW that is a pretty bulky anti-descriptive name for your efforts, do you have a better alternative ?
Nope. You?
RPhArrow said:
And if you need anyone other than marty to try and break things, I'm your guy !
Hooray! Another guinea pig!

I mean, beta tester.

 
They never called me a marketing genius, but how about "Small Fold", or "TinyFoldx" , or just plain HardFoldx (too localized I guess) , or "Foldux" , or "FullDucks"... :rolleyes:

Yep, I do alpha testing at work, I might as well do beta testing at home !

RPhArrow
 
Yeah, it's good, but the last thing I need is a copyright infringement suit.

How about "Foldows"?

No wait... Maybe DamnSmallFolder isn't so bad. The DSL guys don't have as much moolah as MS.

 
unhappy_mage said:
Yeah, it's good, but the last thing I need is a copyright infringement suit.

How about "Foldows"?

No wait... Maybe DamnSmallFolder isn't so bad. The DSL guys don't have as much moolah as MS.
I still like "Foldux"

RphArrow
 
[H]ardux ..... when the [H]orde mates with pengiuns

[H]ardest ..... because it's easier then the rest

[H]older ..... = [H] + Folder




 
How about FOS (Folding Operating System), it can also be something else when you are mad at it.
 
Does Samba work now with the current version. I don't want to spend the time installing it if I can't see the computer. It's headless so I need to be able to see it on the network. Thanks for all your work.

-MN Scout
 
I think it's sorta working. What this means is that if you do the chmod thingy it fixes it temporarily, but as soon as FAH checkpoints it breaks again. This means that it's pretty hard to keep it going.

I will start working on this again now. Why not. Maybe I'll come up with a different tack.

 
unhappy_mage said:
I think it's sorta working. What this means is that if you do the chmod thingy it fixes it temporarily, but as soon as FAH checkpoints it breaks again. This means that it's pretty hard to keep it going.

I will start working on this again now. Why not. Maybe I'll come up with a different tack.

EXACTLY what I've been experiencing, but didn't think anyone would believe me if I tried to describe it !!! I attributed it to linux user error... HA :p I thought if Marty figured it out, I must be a REAL dumbaxx not to figure it out too ! :D Fold on Marty -- you are kickin' a few butts !

 
Still no luck getting PAM going. It's an absolute cast-iron fireproof waterproof to 50 meters stainless B!TCH to get going. I've spent literally a week trying different ideas, and all of them have failed. Either I'm missing something obvious, or there is Great Magic at work here. I may just give up and have it fold and run samba all as root. This is a potentially huge security hole, but the way it is now is a big PITA.

And yes, I'm a little discouraged. This has taken me longer to get going than SSH did. That was only 5 days.

 
Stick with it mage, we have faith. My thoughts on a huge security hole are 99% of these I'd assume would be behind a NAT device (small Linksys router or what not). Would this not provide enough basic security for all? At least against the internet. I guess a college dorm room would not fall under this and you butt would be wide open (to others in the dorm maybe?)

FYI- I've not played with this since ohhh....page 6 or so? I forget, since the core issues were done I've not tackled any of the share/EM3 stuff of late.

Back to work...

Thanks again mage!
 
Back
Top