• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Anti-Fold Server

unhappy_mage said:
Marty: You'll have to figure out what IP it's getting from dhcp. Look at "ifconfig eth0". It's listed there.

And I guess we can assume that turning on swap fixed the problem. Shut 'em down.

type "cfgfold" to configure. 33 all the way!



at the promt (# thingy I think)--- type cfgfold

It's been awhile since I've played with this. ALT-F1 to ALT-F4 moves you though the "consoles" or screen things/windows.
 
ohh, I think if you do the "top" thing, "q" is how you get out of that screen.
 
Thanks for being on the [H] DC forum at 10pm (or later) on a Saturday night.

Thanks to your help, I got my first crapper computer running. The crapper computer came from you! One of two that you sent me!

Alt-F1 got me to the console.

cfgfold got me to configure ----- which allowed me to enter team name and user name.

Great!

Now I am on to machine number two!
 
Any other commands I should know about?

I have to try EMIII... but I have not done that yet.

Seems like it is working good.

The "top" command seems to show that the box is folding.

Thanks to mage and marty.
 
a couple more questions...

I went thru the BIOS on this P-3 500Mhz machine to turn off any possible hang-ups from errors due to having no monitor connected, or no keyboard or no mouse. But there was no such a thing.

Can I just power off my monitor, and unplug the monitor, without hurting anything? And will it boot itself okay without a KVM connected to it?

Is that why I need EMIII ---- so that I can see if the boxen are really running?

Thanks!
 
Pocatello said:
a couple more questions...

I went thru the BIOS on this P-3 500Mhz machine to turn off any possible hang-ups from errors due to having no monitor connected, or no keyboard or no mouse. But there was no such a thing.

Can I just power off my monitor, and unplug the monitor, without hurting anything? And will it boot itself okay without a KVM connected to it?

Is that why I need EMIII ---- so that I can see if the boxen are really running?

Thanks!

Here is what you are looking for!

unhappy_mage said:
Marty: You'll have to figure out what IP it's getting from dhcp. Look at "ifconfig eth0". It's listed there.

And I guess we can assume that turning on swap fixed the problem. Shut 'em down.

type "cfgfold" to configure. 33 all the way!


 
Pocatello said:
a couple more questions...

I went thru the BIOS on this P-3 500Mhz machine to turn off any possible hang-ups from errors due to having no monitor connected, or no keyboard or no mouse. But there was no such a thing.

Can I just power off my monitor, and unplug the monitor, without hurting anything? And will it boot itself okay without a KVM connected to it?

Is that why I need EMIII ---- so that I can see if the boxen are really running?

Thanks!


Either Mayhem is back smoking the funky stuff or you both posted at the same time.

I'm tired... simple test. Get EM3 setup to monitor the box (from a different box). Pull the plug on the anti box, plug back in. EM3 should complain then if you double click the little red computer looking deal it wil re-sync if it does not automatically it will pick right back up. Don't freak out right away, sometimes EM3 is a touch slow. Make sure on the anti box the PSU fans ect. (NIC lights) spin back up when you plug it in.

98% of all hardware runs just fine w/ no keyboard/monitor. It just takes some getting use to, 99% of my holding and work in general is headless.

Bios- things like power = last state (or always on)--- halt on no error are what your looking for.
 
marty9876 said:
Bios- things like power = last state (or always on)--- halt on no error are what your looking for.


Thanks.

I did change the power always on in the BIOS, but there was nothing that I could find about halting on errors.

Okay, I'm off to d'l EMIII.

Thanks again!
 
ok some help

I got folding working. Every time I start it, I see it start up. Here are a few problems:

1) How do I stop it so I can change the config to my username?
2) How do I get EM3 to work? It says permissions denied every time I try to get into the workgroup.

thanks all
 
magnusvir said:
ok some help

I got folding working. Every time I start it, I see it start up. Here are a few problems:

1) How do I stop it so I can change the config to my username?
2) How do I get EM3 to work? It says permissions denied every time I try to get into the workgroup.

thanks all

--1-- first, you do not need to stop F@H to change the config. Go into the console by pressing ALT-F1, and then change the config by typing "cfgfold"

--2-- EM3 -- can you access the boxen from EM3 at all? If you can find it, don't stop at the first directory with F@H. Go to the next one, with the directory of "1", and there you will find what you need.
 
In a Windows explorer window (My computer, whatever) type \\ip.addre.ss.here and see what comes up. If you don't know what the IP address is, type "ifconfig eth0" on the folding box and look at the first thing on the second line. You should be able to get to it this way. Then add \\ip.addre.ss.here\fold\1 to EM3.

 
ok i did the cfgfold part now here is the tricky stuff

The IP address of the Anti-Fold box is 192.168.1.101. But I dont get anything in EM3 at all. I tried Windows explorer and it says "not found"?

I also tried in Firefox and it says "connection refused"

However i tried to see the box in my router DHCP clients table and it shows up.

Help? :confused:
 
Try "ping 192.168.1.101" from a windows machine, and try pinging that machine from the folding box. Also try "smbclient -L 192.168.1.101" on the FAH box. This should give a list of shares, one of which should be "fold".

 
unhappy_mage said:
Try "ping 192.168.1.101" from a windows machine, and try pinging that machine from the folding box. Also try "smbclient -L 192.168.1.101" on the FAH box. This should give a list of shares, one of which should be "fold".


all the pans out but still no access through the windows box. :(
 
Are you using mage's most recent build ? If not, try (on the linux box) "chown -R nobody /fold" and check from windows again.

 
ok figured it out. Stupid me. Apparently my Zonealarm firewall was blocking access.

Now I will just have to check I got the right folder. All seems well for now.

Thumbs up for a truly Linux n00b folding OS, unhappy_mage. :D


P.S. Can I unplug my graphics card since I will be running headless without any grave consequences? The protein is already a third of the way through.
 
You can likely unplug the video card, but NOT WHILE IT'S ON! Restart and look through BIOS for things like "halt on error", and then power down and pull the video card. Turn it back on, then wait a few and see if you can get to the shared folder.

 
On the orginal crapper farm Oldbenwa and I did we left all video in. Just too lazy to fight the issue on this one.

I think many more motherboards won't run w/o video regardless of bios setting than will.

YMMV I think truly applys here.
 
EM3 is working. I see it updating but damn the p4 is slow. Today is a good day. :D

I found out that I have no real place to store my vid card so it will be placed on the mobo. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

I guess the next step would be to build a Fold server farm. Lack of money and space prevents that for now. Also need to bunker down to get good grades this year for applying to grad school. Maybe in a few years.
 
Has anyone installed Anti-Fold on a SATA drive ? I'm getting installation stall when it looks for hard drive and only finds CD/DVD on IDE and wants to make it hda ... when I need it to find the SATA drive & install there... Any ideas?

 
I went through the thread and updated the old links, so now they should point the right place. Oh, and here are my bandwidth test results from a lab computer:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 26291 kbps (3286.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 17824 kbps (2228 KB/sec transfer rate)

Yep, it should be fast. :D :D

 
Dear christ mage. standard Comcast connection. 1000KB/s (yes, that's one megabyte/sec). Now if you could host some pr0......I mean, oh forget being clean, host some pr0n on there.

Great stuff, I'll be trying this on the 1ghz celery soon.

 
I think I can safely say w00+! but I only get 25 mb of space on it (and 11mb are already used!), so the pr0n thing just wouldn't work out. :p

 
Ok, not strictly on topic, but just for S&G: Here is the graphs for the day you got Foldix. I think it's safe to say 1 MB/s is sort of the minimum I'd expect out of this. Here's the network:
umats-11-2004.jpg

See UMBC-GW up in the left corner there? That's me. There's an OC3, 3 T-1s, a gigE link, and an Internet2 link all contributing to give me absolutely befuddling speed. And they're working on another gigE. Now, I'm ONLY on OC-12 so I may not notice the upgrade. In terms of pings, I can't tell you because they filter ICMP, but let's put it this way: I take somewhere between 190 and 52ms to retrieve google.com.

Okay, I'm done bragging for now. I'll check back later.

 
Hey mage, what are you using for bandwith testing? Everything I have tried tops out at 8mbps.
 
Speakeasy's bandwidth test. It's much nicer than others, even if it is flash-based. There's a decent variety of locations, and I've gotten great actual transfer rates out of it.

Of course, maybe it's because my bandwidth pwns yours... :D

 
Could someone please post a listing of the important commands that we need to know. Specifically what commands must we use with the latest version. What commands to set it up and config it to our username, then what commands to get folding started and set to start up right away everytime? How to switch to see the FAHlog.txt? I'm stuck. Folding downloaded but then I can't get anything to work.

-MN Scout
 
Ok I got it working
1. Find a hard drive you are willing to have completly erased without question.
2. Boot to Anti-fold Servier cd.
3. Let run.
4. After a bunch of restarts, take cd out. (it doesn't really say to do this, but it'll look like it's stuck in an infinite loop.)
5. Use login:root password: Fold@on
6. cfgfold - to configure username and team #
7. getfold - to download F@H
8. restart
9. Folding will start up right away. Yay!

Important commands to know (atleast what I know)

top - gets you to a process page
q - gets you out of the page
Alt+F1 etc will let you view different virtual desktops
ifconfig - will let you see your network ip address for the folding computer. You want the number on the second line. Then you can add this to EMIII. Will end up looking like this \\(your ip address here minus the brackets)\fold\1

added at 11:29 after mage filled me in with more commands
alt+F5 for cpu 1 and alt+F6 for cpu 2 will let you view the folding output since each new core creates a virtual window starting at F5
testnet - will tell you if you can connect out to the internet by trying to ping http://www/google.com

To view FAHlog output txt file if you are to good to use virtual window 5:
1. Go back to the first virtual console by pressing ALT+F1
2. Type "more /fold/CPUNUMBER/FAHlog.txt" use 1,2 etc for CPUNUMBER since this correlates to the instance of F@H that is running
3. FAHlog.txt is displayed!
4. Note: You could hit shift+page up if you never switched off of the first virtual window. shift+page up will work in any of the virtual windows for anything that has gone off of the screen, but it will only display new things that have gone off the screen since the last virtual window switch.

Added 9/28 1pm
"/etc/fold stop" - will stop the folding client
poweroff - shutdown the computer


I'm a total linux noob, but those are the commands that seem to work so far. Edit: I'm learning so much tonight. :D

edit: mage answered, Thanks! :Could anyone explain how one looks at the FAHlog.txt file/folding output after one has made it go off the screen? Thanks.

-Mn Scout
 
Okay, here's the whole list:
  • getfold - just run it by itself. It downloads FAH from Stanford, the latest version. Whatever that happens to be (hopefully).
  • cfgfold - run this, and modify the username/team number. Say "no" to "modify config files manually" unless you want to get different packets than the ones configured. If "yes" is entered, the config files won't be touched; otherwise they're recreated on every boot.
  • testnet - this tests your connection to the internet. If this works, you should be all set to fold.
  • /etc/fold - this is the script that controls all the things FAH can do, and does them in the standard manner. It takes an argument, named fairly obviously; start, stop, restart, status, oneunit (finish the current WU and quit), init (setup FAH directory, used at startup - you probably don't need to do this).
  • /etc/config.sh - this autodetects the processor (speed and number of), memory, SSE capability, and decides what kind of WU is best for your machine. It will assign the largest WU it thinks possible for your machine. Running this will show how what it decided, and how much memory it thinks you'll have free.
That's all I can think of, anyways. Any others can be added to the list when I see your post and smack my forehead.

And to switch to the FAHlog output, hit alt-F5. This switches to virtual terminal 5; hit alt-F1 to switch back. Terminals 1-4 have login: prompts, and FAH starts on terminals after that for MP/HT boxen. Alt-F# switches.

 
And the linux noob completely pwns me at explaining it. :rolleyes: what a surprise...

To view the output of FAH after it's gone off the screen, there's two ways. Easy is to switch back to VT1, and run "more /fold/CPUNUMBER/FAHlog.txt" where CPUNUMBER is 1, 2, etc. Possibly easier is to hit shift+page up, but there's a caveat - if you switch VTs, scrollback is lost. So if you leave it on VT5 with the output, then you'll be able to scroll up, but if you switch back to VT1 for a second, you lose it. In any case, two easy ways to view the log. Sort of.

 
I'm not getting anything with /etc/config.sh

I'm curious to see what packets its requesting because I have 256mb of ram in the machine, but a meg or two is being used for integrated graphics. I'd like to run big wus since it's a pIII 700mhz and should be able to handle it.

-MN Scout
 
I can tell you right off the bat that you're getting big packets in the config file (greater than 400 mHz, has SSE, more than 128 free), but make sure you typed it correctly. Use tab completion - type "/e<tab>co<tab>" but hit tab instead of typing "<tab>". :rolleyes: This will fill in the rest of the filename - neat, no? - and then hit enter. This should do it; if not, look above the login prompt when you start up - it should have something like this:
Code:
~ # /etc/config.sh
Writing normal config file for instance 1
Started 1 instance(s), estimated memory free at peak usage 14192.
And hey, Stanford'll even assign them to you; you need to report 250 or so MB of ram to get bigpackets.

 
Well I just tried to get it working again and for some reason it won't draw an IP address. I tried it with 3 different NICs and everything else on my network pulls DHCP with no problem. When I do a testnet it tells me there is no default route and when I do a ifconfig eth0 it shows that I am sending and receiving packets but no IP anformation. Any ideas?

 
Back
Top