The Altcoin Thread

Out of boredom, I decided to cut up some old cases to make some open air mining cases.

I turned this:
miner01.jpg

Into this:
miner02.jpg

miner03.jpg

miner04.jpg

Damn Bitcoin is continuing its free fall.

Not much of a free fall as much as a steady roll down a bit. I don't think it will go that far... it is, after all, Sunday... this happens every week. By tomorrow, it will be back to where it started as if nothing ever happened.

On a side note, after this whole Gox thing, and recent events in the BTC world, now I'm not sure I want Gox to go away. I was visiting BTC-e to check on the BTC price there and read the troll box... with Gox out of the picture, it appears that some of the users there feel that BTC-e now controls the price of BTC. Given how much douchebaggery is displayed there in the troll box by the hour, I'm not sure I want that. I was happy when Gox sat off side silently controlling the price while all of the BTC-e ass hats would sit and moan about it or talk conspiracy theories in the troll box. Now, the ass hats are in control. I fear for the future of the Bitcoin.

no reputable business ever has a troll box.. hopefully bitstamp or someplace else takes over

Coinbase seems to be the most professional of all the exchanges, but currently they only support Bitcoin. If that add a few of the more popular altcoins, that would go a long way towards stabilizing and legitimizing cryptocoins

Coinbase seems to be the most professional of all the exchanges, but currently they only support Bitcoin. If that add a few of the more popular altcoins, that would go a long way towards stabilizing and legitimizing cryptocoins

That's where I do all my business.

Killing it as in making good coin? Yes.... yes it is.

Well, let me rephrase that.... Yes it appears to be doing well today in comparison to other days. This is my first actual full day there, but given the previous days' stats, it appears that today is actually really good.

Wafflepool hit 3Gh/s... There appears to be 1 miner responsible for at least 1.43Gh/s of that... I assume it's one of those guys who is running a large mining setup as a business. Either that, or it's another pool of some sort.

I'd like to think that the increased hash rate helps the pool out because pool luck would not have as great an effect. More blocks found equals more payout for everyone. Even though I started using Wafflepool only a day and a half ago, with a lower hash rate there were periods where it seemed sorta stagnant like we hadn't found a block in forever. And of course, it doesn't help if the pool switches to a different coin in the middle of a block without waiting to solve it first.

EDIT: The one miner is up to over 2Gh/s... so it's either a business or a botnet.

Last edited:
Dogecoin just did an accidental fork.

Stop mining and don't do any transactions with it until they make some kind of announcement.

I finally got around to some scrypt mining on my 270x DC2T cards. At first they were maxing out at ~420 kH/s, which was kind of disappointing. Then I saw a bios update available (from last month), and now after flash the cards get 470-475 kH/s ea. So I'm pretty happy about that. Maybe later I'll be see if one can get the magical 500 kH/s some have claimed to reach on this series of cards.

Now I'm curious if I can flash my Sapphire 7870s with a different vendor bios to improve hash rate. I've already tried to flash a Sapphire 270x bios onto a Sapphire 7870, and that did not work (card did not boot). But on Litecoin wiki comparison, there is a claim of "7870 GHz Edition, GV-R787OC-2G" doing pretty well (425 kH/s at 1000mhz, and 475 kH/s at 1140mhz), so I'll be trying that later today. Gigabyte has bios files on their site.

I finally got around to some scrypt mining on my 270x DC2T cards. At first they were maxing out at ~420 kH/s, which was kind of disappointing. Then I saw a bios update available (from last month), and now after flash the cards get 470-475 kH/s ea. So I'm pretty happy about that. Maybe later I'll be see if one can get the magical 500 kH/s some have claimed to reach on this series of cards.

Now I'm curious if I can flash my Sapphire 7870s with a different vendor bios to improve hash rate. I've already tried to flash a Sapphire 270x bios onto a Sapphire 7870, and that did not work (card did not boot). But on Litecoin wiki comparison, there is a claim of "7870 GHz Edition, GV-R787OC-2G" doing pretty well (425 kH/s at 1000mhz, and 475 kH/s at 1140mhz), so I'll be trying that later today. Gigabyte has bios files on their site.

You CAN cross-flash cards... sometimes.

The biggest issue with cross-flashing is the voltage regulation and the memory. Not every manufacturers uses the same VRM's, power management chips and memory vendors, so your results may vary from a bricked card to worse performance.

I've bricked a card to the point where I had to solder a wire to short the bios chip, so atiflash could at least see it. Then I cut the wire when while in atiflash, and successful brought it back to life.

This was after I accidentally flashed a Sapphire 270x bios to a MSI 7790 (meant to do it to a 7870 obviously). So I'm not too worried about cross vendor flashing. :p

I've bricked a card to the point where I had to solder a wire to short the bios chip, so atiflash could at least see it. Then I cut the wire when while in atiflash, and successful brought it back to life.

This was after I accidentally flashed a Sapphire 270x bios to a MSI 7790 (meant to do it to a 7870 obviously). So I'm not too worried about cross vendor flashing. :p

Does a 270x bios help a 7870?

Does a 270x bios help a 7870?

No. The 7870 didn't work with a 270x bios, even though it was probably the "closest" 270x bios - I tried to flash a Dual-X Sapphire 7870 with a Dual-X Sapphire 270x bios. It didn't boot and I had to "blind flash" (not really blind when you have other cards to power the display) it back to the 7870 bios. But hopefully the "best 7870 bios" cross vendor flash will work later today. Based off 270x performance, 7870s should have no problem crossing 400 kH/s, but the majority of them them cannot even reach that number. But there are a few 7870s out there that do perform well in mining, and that's why I'm going to test a cross vendor flash later today. I have one rig running 4x7870s, and I will flash one of them and then report back the results.

Also, does anyone know why AMD drivers are retarded? Why does hash rate go so low after a driver crash and recovery, and not get fixed until the entire machine is rebooted? It makes tweaking a pain in the ass sometimes. Nvidia cards don't do this stupid crap.

Also, does anyone know why AMD drivers are retarded? Why does hash rate go so low after a driver crash and recovery, and not get fixed until the entire machine is rebooted? It makes tweaking a pain in the ass sometimes. Nvidia cards don't do this stupid crap.

Yeah it's annoying.

Seems to work for games though.....

It's not the drivers methinks. I have issues with cgminer in general - if I mine on my 7950, stop mining, then go do something, anything different with it (for example: watch Youtube), then try to go back to mining I get absolutely horrible hash rates - like 20KH/s. No driver crash, no nothing. I have to reboot in order to be able to mine again.

I'm fairly certain cgminer isn't flushing the shaders properly, at least on some versions of cards, and it causes issues when trying to restart it. Actually, it's probably a combination of card + driver + cgminer.

It's not the drivers methinks. I have issues with cgminer in general - if I mine on my 7950, stop mining, then go do something, anything different with it (for example: watch Youtube), then try to go back to mining I get absolutely horrible hash rates - like 20KH/s. No driver crash, no nothing. I have to reboot in order to be able to mine again.

I'm fairly certain cgminer isn't flushing the shaders properly, at least on some versions of cards, and it causes issues when trying to restart it. Actually, it's probably a combination of card + driver + cgminer.

The only time I have that is when I don't open cgminer with a .bat that includes the setx commands.

Mind explaining what all this "fork" means?

From what I understand when people were downgrading to 1.4, it created a disagreement between 1.4 and 1.5 as to what the correct blockchain was. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I gathered. It's been decided to use the 1.5 version blockchain.

Mind explaining what all this "fork" means?

It means that there's two disparate versions of the blockchain on the network starting at a given block going forward. There's many reasons for this, but the reason really doesn't matter. What matters is the result...

Each version of the blockchain are identical to a certain point (block number), but from that point forward one half (fork) of the chain differs from the other, and they are mutually exclusive. If a person on blockchain fork A tries to send funds to person on blockchain form B, it generally won't work because the transactions from one fork don't show up on the other. For all intents, it's almost like it's a brand new coin at that point.

Also, does anyone know why AMD drivers are retarded? Why does hash rate go so low after a driver crash and recovery, and not get fixed until the entire machine is rebooted?

Instead of rebooting have you tried logging out of Windows then back in?

Instead of rebooting have you tried logging out of Windows then back in?

Windows? LOL One of these days I'll get around to moving the last of my miners over to linux. They run so much more stable its just stupid to bother with windows. I generally use windows to test things like driver versions. I know for sure that 14.1 blows and have tried it on linux also but 14.1 is absolutely horrible for mining on either. I have too many R9's in various rigs at this point.

To all those running on Middlecoin, I'm urging you to bail on them are go to wafflepool or hashcow. They are screwing everyone over royally. .002 BTC in the last 10 hours mining at 2.8mh with them (with only .001 unexchanged increase as well). Not sure whats going on with them, with their hashing power they should be the most profitable auto switching pool out there but the past week has just sucked completely. I've only averaged .07 per mh there now the last 7 days. They need to be taught a lesson, lose atleast 1/2 their hashing power and maybe they'll stop screwing us over.

To all those running on Middlecoin, I'm urging you to bail on them are go to wafflepool or hashcow. .

I've been trying clevermining.com

Verdict is still out.

They claim 0.01321 BTC/day per MH/s for past month, so 2.8mh/s would fetch 0.036 per day

Yeah you should be closer to 0,002 BTC ...PER HOUR. (i would think close to 0,0018 BTC/per hour with 2800khash, right now)

To all those running on Middlecoin, I'm urging you to bail on them are go to wafflepool or hashcow. They are screwing everyone over royally. .002 BTC in the last 10 hours mining at 2.8mh with them (with only .001 unexchanged increase as well). Not sure whats going on with them, with their hashing power they should be the most profitable auto switching pool out there but the past week has just sucked completely. I've only averaged .07 per mh there now the last 7 days. They need to be taught a lesson, lose atleast 1/2 their hashing power and maybe they'll stop screwing us over.

in the past every time something like this has happened the dude imports some "manual trades" and a killer payday happens. My stats have been sitting with north of .1 unexchanged all the time. He's earned enough credit with me to be given a few more days. Go ahead and jump to another pool but everytime I do he keeps paying me for a week with oddball past payments and in the big picture middlecoin always averages out to be the best for me even when I give others a chance. If I were to start a brand new account and put half my power there and half my power at another pool 9 weeks out of 10 middlecoin will win.

I can't speak specifically about right now but in the PAST things like this happen and it gets made up in the big picture but I've quit having knee jerk reactions over a few weird days.

Back