The Altcoin Thread

The only thing i see missing on that rig above me is ducktape.

Well done :cool:

Funny, I just re-did my rig the other night and it's very similar. I like those USB risers, I may end up replacing my current risers for those ones as they're a bit cleaner.

Here's how it was on my first attempt during setup, only shown with one card but was running all 3 before I changed it. They were too close together so they got too hot.
IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

Here's the rack, the cardboard is just from the box that the rack came in. The ribbon cables are pulling the motherboard to be a little crooked, but it's supposed to run cool not look good. :)
IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

My doge miner and my doge helping.

Anyone elses stats been frozen for most of the day on middlecoin? Whatsup with that. Usually when the stats are frozen on my individual page I can go to the main stats and search my number and get up to date stats. But those are frozen too.

Edit- Looks like he tweeted the stats will update in an hour or so....an hour ago. So should update any minute.

Anyone elses stats been frozen for most of the day on middlecoin? Whatsup with that. Usually when the stats are frozen on my individual page I can go to the main stats and search my number and get up to date stats. But those are frozen too.

Edit- Looks like he tweeted the stats will update in an hour or so....an hour ago. So should update any minute.

3 hours after his tweet they're still frozen LOL

How about I brag that I don't even have my mining rig set up yet.

Still need a decent PSU and some risers.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that everyone is opting for 290's over 280X's? Just finding them on sale or something?

Yup. Those aren't the exact same ones I have but serve the same function. I paid like $34 each for mine to get them shipped from California instead of waiting to get them from China.

Thank you! Yes it's pretty cool there as the window isn't very efficient. The cards run at around 60*c.
Ouch. If you (or anyone else here) get some go to Buyahash.com. $25 with free 2 day shipping. Plus the owner is a cool guy. :)

Cooler, less power, more hash rate, doesn't cost much more.

Mkay... some of that seems surprising, but if you say so.

I'm in the process of planning some upgrades. Trying to decide if I wanted to stick with 280X's or if I wanted to go bigger.

It's not gonna happen at least until next month... but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Stupid question for you owners of 290's but you think an EVGA 1300G2 will run at least 3 of them? possibly 4?

I'm in the process of planning some upgrades. Trying to decide if I wanted to stick with 280X's or if I wanted to go bigger.

It's not gonna happen at least until next month... but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Stupid question for you owners of 290's but you think an EVGA 1300G2 will run at least 3 of them? possibly 4?

Yes you can run at least 3 of them easy, you could do 4 if you're smart about it and tweak them well, undervolt etc. you don't want to rape the PSU.

Great! I don't usually run more than 3 cards on a board anyway mainly because I don't like taxing the PSU too much.

This thread is getting pretty unruly, I wonder if we should ask for a dedicated subform for mining?
Yeah, a subforum to mining would work under Distributed Computing.

The mods could also move that Bitcoin thread from the Video Card forums to that subforum as well.

I posted a picture of my rig a few pages back, but I finally had the time this weekend to clean the whole thing up and mount a fan above the cards. So far, it's working great! I mine about 3MH/s with this which equates to about .03-.04 BTC per day (Middlecoin).

The motherboard is sitting atop an anti-static bag.

I'd get it off the bag - they're anti static because they're conductive ......

H.

I'd get it off the bag - they're anti static because they're conductive ......

H.

Just set the motherboard on a dish towel or cut some cardboard to size :)

The pic of the DOGE helper is cool -- I just wanna pet him! I demand MOAR pics :)

You see the power consumption on the 280x OC editions? Same power consumption as most of the 290's. 290's are readily available in reference cooler form and those are so much better for mining. If I could find reference 290's for a reasonable price I would replace every single card I have including the 270's.

This thread is getting pretty unruly, I wonder if we should ask for a dedicated subform for mining?

I've started some extra threads. It is stupid to confine every conversation to this thread. Just start new topics and we'll be able to find things easier. Keep this thread as a general BS about coins but start making some dedicated topics.

You see the power consumption on the 280x OC editions? Same power consumption as most of the 290's. 290's are readily available in reference cooler form and those are so much better for mining. If I could find reference 290's for a reasonable price I would replace every single card I have including the 270's.

You see, that's surprising to me because the reference cooler was tagged by many who reviewed those cards as one of the worst pieces of crap for actually cooling the card. People who owned them for mining were reporting bad hash rates because their GPU started throttling because they hit the temperature ceiling. Everyone was wishing the non-reference coolers would come out soon because anything would be better than the reference cooler. When a card runs constantly in the 90's, it's not healthy. Besides that, they were extremely noisy. And the fans can't possibly last long when they're pegged at 100% all the time.

If I do upgrade to 290's they'll be non-reference coolers all the way... like XFX DD or something.

You see, that's surprising to me because the reference cooler was tagged by many who reviewed those cards as one of the worst pieces of crap for actually cooling the card. People who owned them for mining were reporting bad hash rates because their GPU started throttling because they hit the temperature ceiling. Everyone was wishing the non-reference coolers would come out soon because anything would be better than the reference cooler. When a card runs constantly in the 90's, it's not healthy. Besides that, they were extremely noisy. And the fans can't possibly last long when they're pegged at 100% all the time.

If I do upgrade to 290's they'll be non-reference coolers all the way... like XFX DD or something.

agreed after doing some research I went with the 280 instead, and it wasn't about the initial cost of the card at all. Very happy with the decision, think the 270 is also a great buy. Wasn't really interested in the 290's at all.

The pic of the DOGE helper is cool -- I just wanna pet him! I demand MOAR pics :)

I'll post a handful, don't want to derail the topic too much. :)

He's such a little asshole, adorable and wants to cuddle for about 30 seconds, then he gets bored with it and barks at you and runs away. Totally weird.

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

I asked about it probably 2 months ago. I was informed that this is the place for the mining topics. Its frustrating too because there are still mining topics going on up in the video cards as well.

I asked about it probably 2 months ago. I was informed that this is the place for the mining topics. Its frustrating too because there are still mining topics going on up in the video cards as well.

report post and tell them to move them here

I just put this together... pretty cheaply, about 32$ for the aluminum and then some screws/standoffs that I bought bulk of. I need to put a couple braces of flat aluminum for holding a PSU on each size and then I'm done and can transition a rig over.

It's 30x14x10, will hold 6 GPUs with 4" gap between each.

mUuPvg1l.jpg

Back