The Altcoin Thread

Is there a specific reason you want to run Windows for the miners? I've got a Windows rig and an SMOS/BAMT rig and so far the linux rig is so much more stable and easier to maintain, runs perfectly off a cheap USB stick, and I can install it on multiple sticks with different configs to swap out settings easily by just swapping the USB keys.

Not speaking for blade, but Windows sure makes it easier to undervolt/overclock than Linux does.

Not speaking for blade, but Windows sure makes it easier to undervolt/overclock than Linux does.

Possibly, I've actually found that BIOS flashing is way easier than trying to do it in software, and then you don't have to worry about config issues. The cards will just use the appropriate voltage for themselves as you've set them.

I guess maybe there are some manufacturers of cards where this might not work, but so far I've gotten lucky and the BIOS flash has been really easy.

Possibly, I've actually found that BIOS flashing is way easier than trying to do it in software, and then you don't have to worry about config issues. The cards will just use the appropriate voltage for themselves as you've set them.

I guess maybe there are some manufacturers of cards where this might not work, but so far I've gotten lucky and the BIOS flash has been really easy.

You don't have to worry about bricking a card when you do it with software.:(

You don't really have to worry about bricking a card if you have multiple cards in a system either. ;)

It is easier however to tune the voltage in windows before flashing.

Using cg watcher in windows also make it easier to switch between tons of coins as well as solo mining quickly.

Thanks to warrior for those settings, I modded my bios, OC'd a bit more, ran the auto thing a few times and I wasn't getting much of an increase on the new version of cudaminer, but with his 7x32 I'm rocking out at 348kh/s, very stable too :)

So lately I've been having some issues with "Failed to create post-calc hash thread" or something along those lines. Mostly with the ketchup(keccak, but ketchup is funnier) cgminer. Anyone know of any fixes?

well now that doge coin is less profitable to mine than litecoin who can suggest another coin to mine that might be the next big thing? Mind you I only have about 800 kh/s of mining power

Edit: I think ill try bitbar for a few days

Last edited:
well now that doge coin is less profitable to mine than litecoin who can suggest another coin to mine that might be the next big thing? Mind you I only have about 800 kh/s of mining power

Check out vertcoin. I'm pretty impressed with the technical features of this coin. Multi-pool resistant and ASIC resistant.

So I'm trying to understand these USB risers. Do they just use the wires in the USB instead of the ribbon cable, or do they actually have electronics in there to encode/decode the data and send them over the USB3 protocol?

KDC, NOBL, and DGB are great at the moment.

LEAF has its moments.

So I'm trying to understand these USB risers. Do they just use the wires in the USB instead of the ribbon cable, or do they actually have electronics in there to encode/decode the data and send them over the USB3 protocol?

Just the wires, that's all. They use the PCIe protocol.

In other news, operation flash the third 6950 to unlocked shaders appears to be a success. Yay free hashes!

Just uses the wires vs the ribbon cable.

If your interested in a new coin to try, I'm doing pretty good at SunnyD's AKC pool, of course no idea what they'll be worth yet.

I'd try SunnyD's AKC pool, but then I'd probably be branded a turncoat because I'm currently mining MAX (and sorta liking it).

BTW, MAX just went live on Cryptsy.

I have a Windows and BAMT rig. I figured I'd try BAMT with a single 7970 to see what all the hype was about. Was all over the place when I was trying to set it up (crashing, card not detecting, etc.) I finally got it to hash at 720kh/s and figured I'd let it run a while and if it kept crashing/etc I'd just install Windows and go that route.

That was 3 days ago. It's not had a single issue since. In fact I started getting mad cause I thought it locked up or something just showing 720kh/s (I'm used to seeing the hash rate in windows bounce around +/-5kh/s) Probably gonna move the rest of my 7970s to the BAMT rig and put my 6970's on the Windows machine. Or hell, I might just have them both run BAMT. I understand 1.5 has some web features or something where I can check all my rigs at once?

I sold my 190K of Dodge. Decide I rather go through solid daily gains. I am not sure Doge will go much past 300 anyways. Sill made a tiddy profit. On to Waffle pool. So far looking good with rejection rate of just 1.3%

I have a Windows and BAMT rig. I figured I'd try BAMT with a single 7970 to see what all the hype was about. Was all over the place when I was trying to set it up (crashing, card not detecting, etc.) I finally got it to hash at 720kh/s and figured I'd let it run a while and if it kept crashing/etc I'd just install Windows and go that route.

That was 3 days ago. It's not had a single issue since. In fact I started getting mad cause I thought it locked up or something just showing 720kh/s (I'm used to seeing the hash rate in windows bounce around +/-5kh/s) Probably gonna move the rest of my 7970s to the BAMT rig and put my 6970's on the Windows machine. Or hell, I might just have them both run BAMT. I understand 1.5 has some web features or something where I can check all my rigs at once?

Honestly, try SMOS. It's pre-set up for scrypt mining and it's been extremely stable for me. I'd also be interested in hearing your comparisons. Grab a cheap USB stick (anything over 2GB) and install it on that so if you don't like it you can just pop your BAMT install back in.

I sold my 190K of Dodge. Decide I rather go through solid daily gains. I am not sure Doge will go much past 300 anyways. Sill made a tiddy profit. On to Waffle pool. So far looking good with rejection rate of just 1.3%

been doing it for awhile, not sure if I'm getting more from that or middlecoin, but I'm happy with the results using my 7750 and 6400k for it, and my 280x for middlecoin. Wafflepool seems to be a little better for lower hash rates than middlecoin in my experience.

I hear a lot of anti pool arguments which have some merit, but they are switching around a good bit and giving a variety of coins more exposure than they would get otherwise. I think they are good for the community.

Well, now I know why that 6950 was a 6950 and not a 6970... she runs HOT. :(

Doesn't help that it's supposed to be in the 70's this week after snowing two days ago.

Oh well, as soon as I get some risers in they'll have plenty more air to cool them down.

Not interested in Vert due to having to retune my cards since it uses a different mining program. Ran my miner over night and only earned .02 bitbar coins so not interested in doing that coin either. Guess ill read up on max and AKC

Guys - quick note about AKC...

There's supposed to be an update for the coin coming out today regarding the difficulty adjustment and block retargeting issues. It will also be getting renamed to "FairKeiserCoin". I'll be updating the pool as soon as I have a change/get info.

Not interested in Vert due to having to retune my cards since it uses a different mining program. Ran my miner over night and only earned .02 bitbar coins so not interested in doing that coin either. Guess ill read up on max and AKC

Agree with this, Vert setup is a pain and my hash rate was tiny compared to all the big hitters on there.
Bitbar is a decent profit coin, it just takes forever to confirm anything. I earned a good return there but it took about 5 days to get all my rewards paid out.
I'm just too impatient to wait that long while prices go up and down :)

Guys - quick note about AKC...

There's supposed to be an update for the coin coming out today regarding the difficulty adjustment and block retargeting issues. It will also be getting renamed to "FairKeiserCoin". I'll be updating the pool as soon as I have a change/get info.

whats the address for your AKC pool? can it be mined with cgminer? Any idea if it will show up on cryptsy?

MAX also requires a different cgminer. Not a lot of extra retuning though.

yeah figured that out right after trying it out. said fuck it and now Im mining AKC over at sunnyd's pool.... his is "poolminewith.us" right? if so @SunnyD I'm sending my whopping 800kh/s to your pool :D

I posted a picture of my rig a few pages back, but I finally had the time this weekend to clean the whole thing up and mount a fan above the cards. So far, it's working great! I mine about 3MH/s with this which equates to about .03-.04 BTC per day (Middlecoin).

The motherboard is sitting atop an anti-static bag.

20140215_142445_zpse81e3f4c.jpg

20140215_142234_zpscfb67581.jpg

20140215_142244_zpsf8ebda68.jpg

Yup. Those aren't the exact same ones I have but serve the same function. I paid like $34 each for mine to get them shipped from California instead of waiting to get them from China.

That's about as clean as you can get it. Pretty chilly over by the window I hope?
Thank you! Yes it's pretty cool there as the window isn't very efficient. The cards run at around 60*c.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you all using to secure the video cards to the wire racks? Zip ties I assume?

Yeah I can see the zip ties in his pic pretty clearly.

uncledavid218- Thanks for the pic, gives me a good idea on what to do for my mining farm :)

Back