The Altcoin Thread

BTC aint gonna tank, but Gox will.. and that's good.

Gox needs to go. They've been a source of instability from the beginning of 2013. People have always had issues with them. Their rep is worse than Cryptsy's, lol

I sell every day or less
with Doge I get about 10k and sell, I do this non stop.
once I hit .10 I transfer it to an exchange and convert to cash.

Id rather not be holding the bag if it tanks and if I miss out on some spike or pump o well.

Theoretically... and just in some peoples speculative opinions (mine included), there is a good possibility of a pump next Friday when the block reward split comes. If the community is backing their coin and want it to continue like they have been in the past few weeks, then it is quite likely that something will happen. Personally, I don't care if it's a bump up a few points or a massive spike... I'm good with whatever happens.

Block reward split?
Can you link to more info on this or what that means?

Clif notes

Thanks

Block reward split?
Can you link to more info on this or what that means?

Clif notes

Thanks

On Feb. 14, it marks the occasion that the 100,000th block will be mined. According to DOGE's block reward schedule, starting from block 100,001, the coin reward for each solved block from then on will be cut in half. So, it will go from a random reward of 0-1,000,000 coins to a random reward of 0-500,000 coins. This will continue for another 100,000 blocks after which another block reward split will happen (in about 69 days) and so on and so forth.

Theoretically this marks the halving of any future supply of coins. If the community is backing their coin like they have in past weeks, they will want to make it profitable for miners to mine so they can ensure a constant supply in the future. It is, after all, being actually used by various people and groups. If the price does not go up, then the coin will be at least half as profitable to mine as it has been to date. So, it is speculated that the community will theoretically back their coin by helping the price go up.

Last edited:
BTC aint gonna tank, but Gox will.. and that's good.

Gox needs to go. They've been a source of instability from the beginning of 2013. People have always had issues with them. Their rep is worse than Cryptsy's, lol

Yeah I don't mind if Gox is out of the picture, would love to see them gone. In 2011-2012 so many Bitcoin crashes were caused by their incompetence, and it's still happening years later. They've had so many opportunities to fix things, and lack of funding wasn't a issue... it all comes down to poor management at the top.

That said, it really sucks for the people that still have money in there of course, though all the warning signs were there when BTC withdrawls started getting stuck and fiat took forever to get out.

Getting Goxxed again eh. Who the hell still uses that junk. It's like the people who keep using online wallets after all the scams. You are asking for trouble.

Never understood why people used magic the gathering online exchange to exchange Bitcoins.

fwiw, coins-e owes me "$100". They haven't answered my support ticket in a month now.

BTC price is gonna keep doing down. Fell $100 in just the past 3 hours.

Where has it fallen $100 in the past 3 hours? Going by a REAL exchange price (ie. not Gox... BTC-e), I only see it dropping about $21 in the past 3 hours, about half of which it has recovered already.

EDIT: After an additional hour, it has dropped another $20. It may go down more, but I feel it will recover in time.

Last edited:
I still cannot get back on to CoinedUp.
Anyone have any advice for getting/resetting the stupid OpenID to work?

I sell every day or less
with Doge I get about 10k and sell, I do this non stop.
once I hit .10 I transfer it to an exchange and convert to cash.

Id rather not be holding the bag if it tanks and if I miss out on some spike or pump o well.

As much as I want to do that, I don't want to have deal with taxes. I'm only cashing out enough to pay for hardware and electricity costs. That way my net profit on my home business is zero. My real goal is just to outperform daily profit estimates in terms of BTC. So far I've been pretty successful by just rotating among newly alts and holding them for a bit.

It could all crash to zero, but since selling LTC way too early and getting in early on DOGE, I've taken the mindset that either cryptos are going to change my life, or they won't. They only way that is possible is to go long. They certainly won't negatively impact since I'm not like some silly people who put their entire savings into GOX...

only use coinbase for my cash outs/buying BTC. 2 step authentication with authy, trust linking my checking, and payments are always pretty quick (2-3 days) from sell to posted into my account.

So, another question for the MAX folks... with this new Keccak cgminer, can you still put all of the other settings in there you would normally use with scrypt mining like TC, lookup-gap, etc. along with shaders, core and memory speeds, etc. or does one have to start from scratch figuring out precise core/memory speeds, thread concurrency, etc. to get the best hash rate?

So, another question for the MAX folks... with this new Keccak cgminer, can you still put all of the other settings in there you would normally use with scrypt mining like TC, lookup-gap, etc. along with shaders, core and memory speeds, etc. or does one have to start from scratch figuring out precise core/memory speeds, thread concurrency, etc. to get the best hash rate?

I would say that you should just let it auto set everything. The settings would be completely different since the algorithm is way different. It runs my 7950s at either 5 or 6 intensity compared to the 20 I run them at scrypt. I have noticed it will crash after a few hours, so it's a bit of a pain sometimes.

I would say that you should just let it auto set everything. The settings would be completely different since the algorithm is way different. It runs my 7950s at either 5 or 6 intensity compared to the 20 I run them at scrypt. I have noticed it will crash after a few hours, so it's a bit of a pain sometimes.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a tip to try starting at intensity 9. They then said if it crashes, remove the intensity setting.

But other than that, what you're basically saying is that we each have to start the crap shoot again to try to find the optimal settings for our cards. Have you tried finding better settings at all? It might go a long way to alleviate the crashing... though I can't speak to the stability of the client itself.

Though if stability is an issue for the new client, then that may prevent me from mining MAX. I can't be around to babysit my miners all day and I have no outside access to them.

Last edited:
With the dynamic intensity cgminer would crash every 2-3 hours for me, I set it to 14 and no crash so far, going on 6 hours now. This is on a pair of 7970s.

dogecoin difficulty is losing its mind, I'm down to only 500/hour

and it is about to break 1500

guess everyone is realizing only 5 days left

I'm very curious to see the difficulty and network hashrate exactly one week from now, if all the big rigs run away, it's going to crash hard

actually on second thought, if half the network rate goes away, the difficulty will cut in half too, meaning you would make the same amount of coins as right now

Last edited:
Coinbase is F.T.W.

As for Doge, my prediction is that the block reward split will cause many miners to jump off it. This will cause the diff to plummet, and then at that magical point where it is profitable to mine again given the block reward, mining will resume as usual. Happens to every single coin i've ever seen.

Maxcoin is just another pump n dump crapcoin. Cheers if you got in early, mined out a ton and made some $$$ on the exchanges. That's how you do it.

Maxcoin freefall. Guess I'll just hold em now.

It is a Sunday and weekend though. If anything is going to happen I feel like it will be next week. But this has always been a gamble.

I'm glad I kept selling my coins as I got them last night after the exchange came back online for ~0.0035. It was still 5x more profitable to mine then. Right now it's around 2-3x. I was planning to buy back some MAX soon as it continuously approaches DOGE profitability, but the announcement of a "StacyCoin" (it's on his Twitter) has me rethinking that. Because if that actually launches I'm sure the MAX network will lose a lot of hash power temporarily, difficulty will fall, and it will cause MAX price to fall further. If that releases I am obviously switching to that and mining and dumping again.

I don't have the time or patients to do many alt coins. Although I should have bought some BTC yesterday when it fell really low on coin base. Could have a few bucks. oh well :)

The pump and dump activity should mean another pretty good day of mining. Just need to wait for those pumps to make some extra. :)

Did you sell at .0025 or before? :D

Slightly before. I ended up selling between pumps at around .0022 I think. But had I waited about 10 minutes or so I would have ridden it to about .003. But I firmly expect that it will shoot back up to about .01 now.

Well you guys were right, that APC didn't stand a chance. It immediately overloaded after launching sgminer, lol. So for now I'm running an APC surge protector. I ordered one of the big beefy Trip Lite ULTRABLOKs though.

Currently running at stock clock speeds at about 720Kh/s a card. I'll start bringing speeds up once I've validated that it is stable. I'm using sgminer 4.1 in the middlecoin pool.

I still need to make some tweaks to the setup to make it cleaner, but I'm waiting on some cables to do so.

The final setup is:

Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H
AMD A6-5400K
12GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Sandisk 32GB SSD
4x Sapphire R9 280x
2x Corsair CX750 PSUs
Windows 8.1 Pro

20140209_122524_zps44e483b7.jpg

20140209_122551_zpsaec3636d.jpg

Nice looking setup there UD218, cheers from the old DFI-Street crew

On another note is anybody cpu mining?, I've got a lot of wasted cpu cycles on these miner boards, new yam miner is supposed to be optimized for newer instruction set , looking at mmc cpu mining now

Last edited:
What do you guys all think about the China and Russia stuff with the current price drop? Seems to be making a lot of people nervous...

Slightly before. I ended up selling between pumps at around .0022 I think. But had I waited about 10 minutes or so I would have ridden it to about .003. But I firmly expect that it will shoot back up to about .01 now.

Where's the best place to sell em? I left it running overnight a couple nights ago (on ypool right before they bombed and dropped max) and got about 5 coins that I just want to unload.

I'd be more worried about running 1.3kW through a surge protector like that, unless it's a super beefy one.

Hell even running two 7970's on a rig before - I've had cheapo AT power cables get "warm" since it was a crappy gauge wire.

Are you on 20A circuits? I guess I've just had to be more cautious since my house seems wired to be 15A and I like to follow the 80% rule.

Don't run your KAW 24/7 with a large draw. They can get mighty crispy....

I just felt mine, it's cold to the touch and it's been getting 650-780 watts through it for like a month now.

What do you guys all think about the China and Russia stuff with the current price drop? Seems to be making a lot of people nervous...

you can only be nervous if you have personal funds tied up. I try to stay at break even point at all times so worst case I have a ton of free computer stuff. I'm currently in the hole a bit but thats primarily from amazon shipping me a bunch of stuff without warning

Back