The Altcoin Thread

The Worldcoin Foundation behind WDC has plans to open their own exchange to make it easier for the regular Joe to buy WDC with USD. Apparently, the Worldcoin Foundation also has some other major plans for their coin to actually make it useful. However, things aren't going so well. It sounds like there are some regulatory hurdles that are tripping up some of their plans. The exchange was supposed to be opening Feb. 20th but some people seem to think that might not happen. The devs and any spokespeople for the Worldcoin Foundation have been strangely silent as of late which is what has a bunch of people questioning the legitimacy of their motives. So, it's actually been on a steady decline for the past couple weeks... but could still rebound a bit if their plans for their exchange happen on schedule.

The whole Scharmbeck thing is a joke and the reason I sold all of my coins. Not only have they never responded to any of my inquiries about increasing my level on their site, even after following all the steps required, the fact that they have tweeted and erased tweets among the ridiculous 500 btc bounty, it was enough to drive me to sell them. Sucks because I had high hopes for the coin but it's shady at best. Couple that and you have members of the team leaving to pursue creating their own coins and it just doesn't look good. Not saying it can't pull itself out of this mess, but there were too many things that seemed strange to make me feel uncomfortable holding.

The whole Scharmbeck thing is a joke and the reason I sold all of my coins. Not only have they never responded to any of my inquiries about increasing my level on their site, even after following all the steps required, the fact that they have tweeted and erased tweets among the ridiculous 500 btc bounty, it was enough to drive me to sell them. Sucks because I had high hopes for the coin but it's shady at best. Couple that and you have members of the team leaving to pursue creating their own coins and it just doesn't look good. Not saying it can't pull itself out of this mess, but there were too many things that seemed strange to make me feel uncomfortable holding.

Ya, it started off great, then all this happened... Even as of last week I was wanting to put in more time mining some WDC just to have a few more than I already do in case something happened, but I have supreme doubts now.

Sticking with DOGE until the split, then after that, who knows.

Just about done with Max. It isn't much more profitable than mining scrypt anymore. It's around ~2x, which is still good, but by tomorrow night I'll just be going to back to looking for newly released alts to mine early on.

Oh and LOL at $300 270x on Newegg. These are overclocked 7870s we're talking about here.

Last edited:
Apparently Vertcoin is still doing OK. I may give it a shot after this weekend.

Damn, now is the time I wish I had at least 2 more rigs. I may have to see if I can swindle my way into getting a couple more dedicated 20A circuits installed in the house.

So many coins to try, but I don't want to subdivide my hash power too much amongst too many coins.

Damn, now is the time I wish I had at least 2 more rigs. I may have to see if I can swindle my way into getting a couple more dedicated 20A circuits installed in the house.

Couple of breakers and some 12/2 romex. golden!

I need to get a 200 amp service box, the one I'm on is close to maxing , no room left and need space for more rigs and maybe some air just in case it's still profitable this summer.

WHere do you order those risers from china from? I might just have to grab a bunch

I take it you are no longer sticking to the 2 cards per board rule, I've got 5 rigs going based on this concept. I have parts for a couple more just no time yet to build.
I have seen some nice racks lately...hmmm.

I take it you are no longer sticking to the 2 cards per board rule, I've got 5 rigs going based on this concept. I have parts for a couple more just no time yet to build.
I have seen some nice racks lately...hmmm.

2 cards per board rule?

That's just crazy talk. I've only got two rigs with only 2 cards, my desktop with 2x 7970's, and a weak psu powering another 2x 7970's. I'll be putting all 4 in the single rig with an additional psu when I get more 290's.........for my desktop.

If you are going to do custom electrical drops for mining rigs be sure to pay an electrician to do 220v

220v will give you a few extra percent of efficiency, up to 5% I think, which really adds up at 1000+ watts

AMD drivers will do 5 cards reliably in Win8.1, 4 cards reliably in 7.

I've seen plenty of reports of people doing 6 cards in Win8.1 / Win7, but ive personally tried on many boards and its virtually impossible.

If you are going to do custom electrical drops for mining rigs be sure to pay an electrician to do 220v

220v will give you a few extra percent of efficiency, up to 5% I think, which really adds up at 1000+ watts

don't forget about the heat reduction from the reduced waste. The amperage is significantly lowered as well

I wonder if there's any way to alter existing Scrypt coins to include some of those parameters that would keep them GPU only, rather than having to come up with new ones. So far, I'm most interested in LTC (though I've not mined it much..wondering if it is worthwhile to do so), DOGE (What I've mined the most and I'm pleased with its success) and ANC (AnonCoin - also solidly profitable and unlike many scrypt clones of ltc, it actually has additional features built in such as i2p and Tor darknet support. Even better, it will be implementing the Zerocoin protocol which is basically a built-in distributed mixer right in the blockchain, for even greater anonymity without giving up the security of the currency itself). I've been keeping my eyes on WDC (WorldCoin) but the Scharmbeck foul up is really annoying...seems like a big bloody scam there perhaps, but the idea behind WorldCoin is sound and the coin itself seems viable, but there needs to be a public (perhaps even non profit) managed financial services operation, to get WDC going in terms of actual transactions and exchanging for goods and services besides commodity markets!

Has anyone been following coins (maxcoin? Though I hear that's a nightmare now... ) that utilize something other than SHA256 or Scrypt? I hear some use SHA3 etc...and I wonder if any of them would be resistant to ASIC even better than Scrypt.

I think I'm going to build a proper mining rig for a bit of supplementary income. Looks like GPUs are still the place to be. I'm aiming for 3-5+ Mh/s, which I understand should be able to make a tidy profit monthly. I just need to decide on a couple of things.

Has anyone used an "add2psu"? I was wondering if a combination of this Corsair HX1000 + a Corsair HX620 would be satisfactory for my mining rig, planning for 4-6 GPUs? I know they are a bit older, but they've always been quality power for me and I figure 1620w should be more than enough

Next, what sort of case or chassis are you using? Everyone on an open test bench? I have this Corsair 800D that I could use for this mining build if it would work, but if I really need something else I'll have to see. I know that some are offering pre-fab mining platforms/testbenches made specifically for mining... anyone have a link to some of the better ones? Ideally, I'd like to have some way to enclose the rig if at all possible just to protect it, but if having it completely open is the only way to go then so be it. I did have the crazy idea of buying a CaseLabs Magnum TX10-D and run my main rig out of one side and my mining rig on the other, but I doubt that's a good idea ultimately.

Another big choice is trying to decide on a platform - Intel, AMD AM3+, or AMD FM2+ ? On the Intel side, has anyone tried that ASRock BTC mining-designed motherboard? I rather like the idea that someone made a board specifically for mining - wish they'd offer one for FM2+ as well. AM3+ looks kinda promising because perhaps some of its components can be found used and perhaps things will be cheaper than Intel. FM2+ seems like another promising setup, cheaper than Intel overall, but I'm still poking around for what would be the best way to go. I don't suppose using a FM2+ kit with a APU and AMD cards would provide some sort of boost thanks to hybrid crossfire?

GPU wise, I'm wondering if it is better to go with 270/270x, versus 280x or 290/290x. I've heard everything from "its actually cheaper to build 2 whole rigs loaded with 270/270x , than a single rig with 4-6 280/x or 290/x series cards" . Likewise, I am guessing that getting ahold of 7950/7970 is good if you can get them at a major discount, but with current prices even used they seem to be expensive. At start, I'm going to leave my rigs air-cooled most likely...unless I'm doing really, really well financially I can't see the justification for liquid cooling, but perhaps as things tend towards summer that will change.

For an operating system, I'm thinking of running either BAMT or SMOS linux mining OSes. Seems like the best way to go. Anyone have an experience running one of these sort of distros versus another, or vs a more "full featured" linux distro?

So now one step closer to making a ~$3000 investment...

I should probably take my own advice. I could swear I remember there is a 220v outlet in the a/c closet but it is like 15-20 feet away from my rig.

Do you think a 20 foot 220v extension cord is safe?

I should probably take my own advice. I could swear I remember there is a 220v outlet in the a/c closet but it is like 15-20 feet away from my rig.

Do you think a 20 foot 220v extension cord is safe?

sure, if it's high gauge

edit: or rather low gauge, high diameter. (still drinking my coffee)

Last edited:
So now one step closer to making a ~$3000 investment...

I've never used an add2psu. I just jumper the correct pins on the atx connector to power on the PSU.

No chassis, waste of money. Get a cheap wire rack from home depot or lowes. Or build one out of aluminum angle.

Intel or AMD doesn't particularly matter. I wouldn't bother with the BTC boards unless you are just looking for a cheap 6 x pcie board. I use the MSI Z77A-GD65 (intel) for my 6 card systems. Damn near plug and play. I think I had to put a keyboard and monitor on it to accept the bios defaults, after that never touched it again.

Picking 270 vs 280x depends on how much power and heat you want to deal with. 270s are pretty tame and I actually am currently getting away with 6 of them on one 1000watt evga p2, outstanding psu btw. If you go with the 280x, you'll need two beefy psus. my 280x systems pull down ~1000w or so.

Go with BAMT 1.3 or 1.5. Put it on a usb flash key and call it good.

Oh and best advice, don't spend money you can afford to lose. :D All of this could fall apart tomorrow.

DOGE to the moon!!!! :)

(0.00000245 currently)

yeah almost hitting a new high record -- tempted to sell - but at the same time I wanted to hold till AFTER the block split and see what happens to the price. I'm only sitting on 200k DOGE though, so not that much

Loving the huge price spike -- big question will it keep going after the block split, or crash due to everyone dumping?

Yes but the difficulty is the highest it's ever been pretty much too.

Anyone mining any keccah coins? been thinking about mining some maxcoin, profitability is very good I'm hearing.

Anyone mining any keccah coins? been thinking about mining some maxcoin, profitability is very good I'm hearing.

Keccak... "SHA3". Maxcoin profitability is pretty much inline with scrypt now given the difficulty.

Did it jump recently? Like 2 days ago several people told me their profitability was about 60% better than scrypt.

Did it jump recently? Like 2 days ago several people told me their profitability was about 60% better than scrypt.

At last check my 7950 generated about 1.5 coins in a day of mining compared to the 5 or so it made the previous day. The current exchange rate is something like 0.0018 right now, so roughly 0.002 BTC per day.

That same card is making me between 0.005-0.008 in BTC mining scrypt right now depending on how aggressive I am in picking my coins during the day.

Ouch yeah that's a huge decrease all of the sudden. Makes me glad I didn't make the switch yet then.

I'll probably just wait until there's an auto switching pool for keccah coins, wait to see how profitable it is, then possibly switch.

I'm still just using middlecoin right now. Pretty much .01 BTC per mh average per day.

Litecoin network hashrate is absolutely tanking.

About to be lowest since November.

I guess everyone is working on other coins.

Litecoin network hashrate is absolutely tanking.

About to be lowest since November.

I guess everyone is working on other coins.

Yeah with the decrease in price it's not nearly as profitable as it was back in the November time frame when everyone went apecrazy and wanted to get in (myself included).

CASH is still looking pretty nice if you don't do an auto sell and set it for a high area. I'm still sitting on a few coins fairly long term though

CASH is still looking pretty nice if you don't do an auto sell and set it for a high area. I'm still sitting on a few coins fairly long term though

Remember, CASH is Proof-of-Stake as well. If you sit on it for 30 days in your wallet, it starts minting new coins by itself.

I wonder what Potcoin has going for it, prices have fluctuated heavily in the past few weeks and its still not well known or on any major exchanges.

I wonder what Potcoin has going for it, prices have fluctuated heavily in the past few weeks and its still not well known or on any major exchanges.

Supposedly you can buy actual cannabis and related products with it from certain vendors.

Remember, CASH is Proof-of-Stake as well. If you sit on it for 30 days in your wallet, it starts minting new coins by itself.

crap, I might have to point all my power at it for a few days. I just sold it all

It does seem like I only mined half as much Doge in the same period as the day b4.

Actually I'm quite surprised the DOGE difficulty isn't higher than it is. 1527 currently... looks like those gaming the system are still doing a great job of keeping the difficulty low.

EDIT: BTW, 269 right now.. At this rate I might have to raise my prediction.

Last edited:
Man its hard to decide which coin to mine, I kind of want to mine DOGE until the halving but also wanna get in on some CASH... decisions decisions, splitting up my rigs might be an option...

Man its hard to decide which coin to mine, I kind of want to mine DOGE until the halving but also wanna get in on some CASH... decisions decisions, splitting up my rigs might be an option...

I think I may have to flip one of my miners back to my CASH pool to get more coins to stake with. It's hard to do anything in particular "investment-wise" when you have the voice in the back of your head that is trying to simply generate funds to pay bills and whatnot though.

Back