The Altcoin Thread

Don't run your KAW 24/7 with a large draw. They can get mighty crispy....

They've been in line for about 4 hours now and they're very cool to the touch. I am only running 700w max through them though.

And yeah, this surge protector is pretty beefy and not at all warm. But like I said I will be going with a beefier unit just to be sure.

Nice looking setup there UD218, cheers from the old DFI-Street crew

On another note is anybody cpu mining?, I've got a lot of wasted cpu cycles on these miner boards, new yam miner is supposed to be optimized for newer instruction set , looking at mmc cpu mining now
Hey! Long time no talk. Man it's been a long time. I was 15 when I joined that site... 24 now. Crazy. So much has changed since then. Glad to see you're still around though.

Last edited:
ESOnAbC.jpg

never herd of sgminer before your post. what did you go that route?

Its nothing but CGminer fork wiht some fixes/tweaks

Fork veox/sgminer from ckolivas/cgminer version 3.7.2.
Remove code referencing SHA256d mining, FPGAs and ASICS. Leftovers most probably still remain.
AMD ADL crash fix on R9 chipsets by Benjamin Herrenschmidt.
Maximum allowed intensity increased to 42.
Move documentation to directory doc.
--gpu-threads support for comma-separated values by Martin "Kalroth" Danielsen.
AMD ADL SDK 5 mandatory, preparation for ADL Overdrive 6 support by Martin.
Allow changing TCP keepalive packet idle time using --tcp-keepalive.
Automatic library presence detection by configure.
--scrypt option removed (no other choice now).
--vectors option removed (current kernel only supports 1).
Display per-GPU reject percentage instead of absolute values by Martin.
Do not show date in log by default (switch with --log-show-date).
Fix network difficulty display to resemble that of cgminer 3.1.1.
Forward-port relevant bugfixes form ckolivas/cgminer, up to cgminer version 3.10.0.

Its nothing but CGminer fork wiht some fixes/tweaks

Fork veox/sgminer from ckolivas/cgminer version 3.7.2.
Remove code referencing SHA256d mining, FPGAs and ASICS. Leftovers most probably still remain.
AMD ADL crash fix on R9 chipsets by Benjamin Herrenschmidt.
Maximum allowed intensity increased to 42.
Move documentation to directory doc.
--gpu-threads support for comma-separated values by Martin "Kalroth" Danielsen.
AMD ADL SDK 5 mandatory, preparation for ADL Overdrive 6 support by Martin.
Allow changing TCP keepalive packet idle time using --tcp-keepalive.
Automatic library presence detection by configure.
--scrypt option removed (no other choice now).
--vectors option removed (current kernel only supports 1).
Display per-GPU reject percentage instead of absolute values by Martin.
Do not show date in log by default (switch with --log-show-date).
Fix network difficulty display to resemble that of cgminer 3.1.1.
Forward-port relevant bugfixes form ckolivas/cgminer, up to cgminer version 3.10.0.

And it's buggy as hell imho.

I just moved over to the kalroth version of cgminer and it is awesome!!! I couldn't get 1 of my cards to do over 390kh/s now its doing 410. But the impressive thing is the WU and how much it has gone up. It was generally around 15-20%% lower then my kh/s but now it is around 8% lower than my kh/s.

alright, I think I'm officially done with maxcoin now. I have a few leftover, I'll sit on them until hell freezes over. But I have better things to do with my time then mine this crap.

alright, I think I'm officially done with maxcoin now. I have a few leftover, I'll sit on them until hell freezes over. But I have better things to do with my time then mine this crap.

hopefully you made out well.

hopefully you made out well.

Not really. I did decent relatively speaking - in roughly 2 days my single 7950 made in BTC what it would have in 4 days of scrypt mining. If I had actually been on top of the market and sold quicker, I would have done a bit better, but I wasn't planning on staying up at 3am every night.

Maxcoin was quite literally far more effort than it was worth imho by the time I managed to get mining on it.

That's sort of what I figured when I started looking into maxcoin. I put about an hour of research into it then realized it would be a gamble anyways. Just driving with tmb until I get everything up and fully automated.

Last edited:
the spike in DOGE today is surprising... im only sitting on maybe 150K coins right now.... tempted to sell

If it were me, I'd wait until Friday. I'm pretty sure the price will continue rising all week.

Personally, I'm predicting DOGE to be between 300 and 400 Satoshis by the end of the week. It may not stay there, but I think it has the momentum and the community backing to get at least that high. However, in order for it to stay profitable to miners, it will most likely have to settle down somewhere around the 300 Satoshi mark.

Just a warning as well, if you're going to deposit to Cryptsy, generate a new DOGE address before you do. They just added another wallet to take the strain off the old wallet. Old wallet addresses are still usable, but because DOGE is very much in the spotlight right now, deposits will take awhile to process... usually up to 24 hours. Depositing to the new wallet may reduce that wait time significantly.

If it were me, I'd wait until Friday. I'm pretty sure the price will continue rising all week.

Personally, I'm predicting DOGE to be between 300 and 400 Satoshis by the end of the week. It may not stay there, but I think it has the momentum and the community backing to get at least that high. However, in order for it to stay profitable to miners, it will most likely have to settle down somewhere around the 300 Satoshi mark.

Just a warning as well, if you're going to deposit to Cryptsy, generate a new DOGE address before you do. They just added another wallet to take the strain off the old wallet. Old wallet addresses are still usable, but because DOGE is very much in the spotlight right now, deposits will take awhile to process... usually up to 24 hours. Depositing to the new wallet may reduce that wait time significantly.
Hope your right. Should be sitting on close to 200,000 doge by then.

Can someone tell me if there is a benefit for someone to start yet another whateverCoin but link it directly with a SWIFT code? I have my own SWIFT number like.

Knew I should waited, converted some to BTC at 190 because I figure it'll go back up by end of week.

I just moved over to the kalroth version of cgminer and it is awesome!!! I couldn't get 1 of my cards to do over 390kh/s now its doing 410. But the impressive thing is the WU and how much it has gone up. It was generally around 15-20%% lower then my kh/s but now it is around 8% lower than my kh/s.

Yeah their build is what the other builds wait for to take code from (like sgminer)

What I like most about kalroth is the WUE is right there.

The higher numbers you are seeing are probably from a different default scypt130511.cl file that is more efficient

My take on the whole pile right now:

- I'm going long on BTC right now.
- I'm sitting on Doge until it's over 9000 :D
- There's likely to be a huge play on some of the markets here in the coming days, I've been seeing a ton of market manipulation lately
- WorldCoin: Scam or For Real; either go long or get out right now - there's no better time.
- My darling KlondikeCoin needs community support. It's the perfect miner's coin, but if it had a community it becomes LiteCoin 2.0.
- MaxCoin, I hate you.
- MtGox needs to go away. The BitCoin Foundation needs to pull their membership NOW. For MtGox to try to blame their issues on a long-standing "bug" that's been widely known and easily preventable ON THEIR END on the BitCoin wallet code is bullshit. MtGox's liquidity issues are of their own doing, and for them to try to drag down the entire world along with it is ... well ... par for the course I guess.
- I need to start looking at stratum code. Because I have time for yet more side projects - since I haven't even built my primary mining rig yet.
- Anyone have spare USB risers for cheap? I don't want to order from China.
- I miss my LGA2011 rig. :(

Last edited:
I don't think it was all Gox...we have the Russians, Indians and Chinese to thank as well.

Appearently in Russia, you cannot put BTC in a paper envelope, hence it is outlawed. ;)

Not me, BTC has some major design flaws, and on top of that their community sucks more balls than Richard Simmons. BTC is king for now, I don't see that being the case forever.

Not me, BTC has some major design flaws, and on top of that their community sucks more balls than Richard Simmons. BTC is king for now, I don't see that being the case forever.

Sorry - I meant to say "I'm going long on MY BTC for now".

There's no other coin that is a viable alternative. And yes, there are a few flaws imho, but no other coin currently has any remedy for them either.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That dualminer was talked about before... seems pretty weak unless you live in an area where power is very expensive (then it might be a good deal). GPUs are still viable, for now :).

- I'm sitting on Doge until it's over 9000 :D
- There's likely to be a huge play on some of the markets here in the coming days, I've been seeing a ton of market manipulation lately
- WorldCoin: Scam or For Real; either go long or get out right now - there's no better time.
- My darling KlondikeCoin needs community support. It's the perfect miner's coin, but if it had a community it becomes LiteCoin 2.0.
- MaxCoin, I hate you.
- MtGox needs to go away. The BitCoin Foundation needs to pull their membership NOW. For MtGox to try to blame their issues on a long-standing "bug" that's been widely known and easily preventable ON THEIR END on the BitCoin wallet code is bullshit. MtGox's liquidity issues are of their own doing, and for them to try to drag down the entire world along with it is ... well ... par for the course I guess.
- I need to start looking at stratum code. Because I have time for yet more side projects - since I haven't even built my primary mining rig yet.
- Anyone have spare USB risers for cheap? I don't want to order from China.
- I miss my LGA2011 rig. :(

I've been following WDC lately thinking about jumping in and test the water, what makes you think this could jump.

KDC I love for some reason , maybe community feeling but also I like mining it. Would love to see it take off.

I went all in on BTC at about 6am after some bank deposits, but I also traded doge and wish it would have been about half as much.

iirc they're $87 or so on bitcointalk

So 700 kH/s for $870.

I believe I spent somewhere around $5,500 in total to get 9.3 MH/s (going to see if I can tweak this to 10 MH/s). This includes all computer parts, but not including electricity. To get the same amount off these ASICs, I'd have to spend over $11,000! I think it would take 1-2 years of mining to make up that extra $5500 in electricity.

But yes, it is a start of things to come. But hopefully these Scrypt ASICs progress much slower than the SHA256 ASICs did.

I've been following WDC lately thinking about jumping in and test the water, what makes you think this could jump.

KDC I love for some reason , maybe community feeling but also I like mining it. Would love to see it take off.

I went all in on BTC at about 6am after some bank deposits, but I also traded doge and wish it would have been about half as much.

lol, KDC just had a major market tank because the "investors" are pissed the dev didn't capitulate to their demands of a block change to make it more attractive (presumably so that the price would spike and they could sell off). The dev all but (politely) told them to screw off.

Great time to buy in to KDC, not that I'm suggesting it. Hell, I'd rather just mine it.

I wish CASH hadn't dropped so far, I would have used that to get more KDC.
I'm gonna hangt tough on Doge 'til the half anyway.

"Anti-Keiser-Coin" has been announced.

I'm thinking I pretty much MUST set up a pool for this one.

The Worldcoin Foundation behind WDC has plans to open their own exchange to make it easier for the regular Joe to buy WDC with USD. Apparently, the Worldcoin Foundation also has some other major plans for their coin to actually make it useful. However, things aren't going so well. It sounds like there are some regulatory hurdles that are tripping up some of their plans. The exchange was supposed to be opening Feb. 20th but some people seem to think that might not happen. The devs and any spokespeople for the Worldcoin Foundation have been strangely silent as of late which is what has a bunch of people questioning the legitimacy of their motives. So, it's actually been on a steady decline for the past couple weeks... but could still rebound a bit if their plans for their exchange happen on schedule.

But yes, it is a start of things to come. But hopefully these Scrypt ASICs progress much slower than the SHA256 ASICs did.

This is why I'm glad coin developers like those of Vertcoin (?) and Maxcoin are experimenting with new clients. Nothing is going to change if we stick to scrypt. I know we've still got some time before the ASIC invasion, but I had read there are a number of changes that could be made to the coins themselves that would essentially make them GPU only. I'm hoping more devs start experimenting with that in mind.

Back