THE A8N32 Build database

hey guys,
my first post here even though I've been lurking close to two years here :)
I've come over here from ABXzone as I wasnt able to completley resolve the following issue.

SPECS:
BIOS: 1103
FX-60 stock
2GB corsair 3500LL pro
2xASUS 7900gtx
OCZ 600W PSU
Audigy 2 ZS
2x74Gb RAPTORs in RAID O of the nVidia controller
NEC 16x dual layer DVD burner
Liteon DVD player
Koolance EXOS cooling with CPU block

PROBLEMS:
1. Intermitent LAN connectivity of the Marvell port. 2. Not sure about this one. Cannot use LifeGuard diagnostics tool(DOS floppy version) from WD to test drives pre-windows load up. The proggy will not read either tool , I get a 0139 error. Now keep in mind that these are connected to SATA 3 &4. The same happens to SATA 1&2. BUT when I plug the drives into the Silicon Image port towards the back of the mobo both drives are recognised and test out fine ????????? A guy at ASUS tech support said that the nVidia controllers are loaded up AFTER Windows load up so thats why prior to that the drives are not being read. It is interesting to note that while the program immediately generates an error before testing the drives it does recognize them as WD740Gd and even reads their s/n.....

SOLUTIONS:
1. RMAd the blasted thing now its fine. 2. waiting for some one to help me here please

CURRENT STATUS:
mine - counting the increasing gray hairs on my head. PC - semi-gutted and chillin in the basement. Could some one that has Raptors connected to the nVidia Raid controllers please try to run that program on their PC and tell me if you get the same results >PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE. I need to know if its just my mobo or all of them.

how does one turn off the nVidia IDE drivers and install the MS ones ??

After spending last night and today working on mine I think I finally got it. I was getting the ACPI BSOD's on installing but after flashing to 903 and disabling the game port it appears to be working. My parallel port was enabled from the get go but the board came with 1103 on it. On the first try, I was able to install XP on 1103 but a few minutes after being in, it BSOD'd and I couldn't get anything installed until now.

I've had my new A8N32 system up and running for a week now. Here is my info:

HARDWARE:

Motherboard: A8N32SLI
CPU: FX-60
Memory: OCZ Platinum XTC DDR400
Video Cards - BFG 7900GTX OCs in SLi
Hard Drives - 2 WD Raptor 150GBs RAID 0
Power Supply: Enermax EPS12V 660W
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Elite Pro
Shipped BIOS: 1103
Current BIOS: 1103

REVISION 1.01G (pictures here )

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
1) Warm boot problems while OCed just like the A8N32 I got in November... they still havn't fixed it.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
1) I had to lower my CPU speed and raise voltages.

CHANGED/REPLACED HARDWARE:
None

CURRENT STATUS:
Waiting for my BFG 7900GTXs to come back from an RMA. Otherwise the system is working great.

I see some people are having some network issues with this board, here is a fix that worked flawlessly for me:

What I did to fix the download corruption was fully install the nvidia firewall and after it is installed I turned it off. If you don't install parts of the nvidia firewall appears to stay on by default.

Also, if you check the system event viewer and you see DCOM error 16 give this a try(this is from an internet post by someone else, it may be a little hard to follow):

You can correct the error by adding the NTAUTHORITY/SERVICE user to launch and activation permissions for app_filter with local launch and activation permissions.

To do this go to Administrative tools-component services, in the treeview expand component services-computers-my computer-DCOM Config, right click on app_filter select properties, on the security tab select customize for launch and activation permissions and hit the edit button to open the launch permissions page, click the add button to open the user and group selection page, click advanced to open the select user or group page, click the find now button then scroll down through the list of users and groups untill you find SERVICE in the list and highlight it then click ok to return to the select users or groups page, click ok again to return to the launch permissions page, now you should see SERVICE in the list of users and groups for app_filter, highlight SERVICE and check local launch and local activation in the permissions for SERVICE, click ok again to return to app_filter properties page and click ok again, now you should be all the way back to the component services page and the SERVICE user has permissions so you wont get any more DCOM errors............

nvtcp.sys is usually the culprit...........

I hope this helps a few of you.

I tried to run the Win version and it only recognized my RAID as logical drives, so no test results.

Anybody have any problems with the onboard audio? I'm only getting audio out of the left channel. I've checked the balance and what not, if I set the balance to right only, I get nothing. I hope it's something else so I don't have to RMA the board.

Opie said:
I tried to run the Win version and it only recognized my RAID as logical drives, so no test results.

now were you able to actually click/select any of the drives ?thats where I run into a problem. I can see my logical partitions but I cant actually click on either of the RAPTORS to get get like a serial # of them ?

LittleMe said:
Anybody have any problems with the onboard audio? I'm only getting audio out of the left channel. I've checked the balance and what not, if I set the balance to right only, I get nothing. I hope it's something else so I don't have to RMA the board.

it may seem obvious but just checking but did you make sure your speakers were setup correctly under Windows AND the AC97 (or whatever) codec program ?

alien resident said:
now were you able to actually click/select any of the drives ?thats where I run into a problem. I can see my logical partitions but I cant actually click on either of the RAPTORS to get get like a serial # of them ?

I had the same exact experience. I could not select the drives at all.

Opie said:
I had the same exact experience. I could not select the drives at all.

hhmmmmmm very interesting. Now do you think thats a quirk with Nvidia or do we both gotsteh bad mobohs ???

alien resident said:
it may seem obvious but just checking but did you make sure your speakers were setup correctly under Windows AND the AC97 (or whatever) codec program ?

Yes, I did. I've now confirmed it's a problem with the port. I hooked up the front audio ports using the header on the mobo and plugged the speakers into there. I had both left and right. I'm going to debate if it's worth RMA'ing at this point.

LittleMe said:
Yes, I did. I've now confirmed it's a problem with the port. I hooked up the front audio ports using the header on the mobo and plugged the speakers into there. I had both left and right. I'm going to debate if it's worth RMA'ing at this point.
you paid good money for it. Why settle for less than good quality.

besides do you want your speakers connected to the front header. It'd look tacky if you ask me ...

here is a simple question for most of you. When you all got your mobos do you recall seeing a funny sticker on the BACK of the mobo where the STACk cool 2 is supposed to be located ?

alien resident said:
here is a simple question for most of you. When you all got your mobos do you recall seeing a funny sticker on the BACK of the mobo where the STACk cool 2 is supposed to be located ?

Not that I recall. Why, did you have something different there?

alien resident said:
you paid good money for it. Why settle for less than good quality.

besides do you want your speakers connected to the front header. It'd look tacky if you ask me ...

Yes but is it worth giving it up for around 2 weeks for a silly little header that I can just as easy re-route the front connectors for to the back or just plug it into the front?

LittleMe said:
Not that I recall. Why, did you have something different there?

yeah. mine had this funny sticker that looked like it was kind of made of a thin foam like material. i called ASUS and they said leave it on. I just never heard anyone else talk about it so i thought i'd ask .

alien resident said:
yeah. mine had this funny sticker that looked like it was kind of made of a thin foam like material. i called ASUS and they said leave it on. I just never heard anyone else talk about it so i thought i'd ask .
Yeah, I have that. I left it on too. It says something like "StackCool" or something. . . right?

Don't worry about it. It's supposed to be there. :)

hi i i made a move to pci express with the a8n32 had some problems though started with a fresh install of xp pro not slipstreamed with sp2 got the bluescreen saying bios not acpi compliant so pressed f7 and started to install getting numerous bluescreens messages from my hard drive to disable video cache and others..also random reboots while installing windows..i did however get into windows for awhile got sp2 and video drivers..strange thing my computer would restart on every reboot but it never rebooted by itself when i was acually in windows acually it was stable inside only one every reboot..the bios was the latest 1103 but i still couldnt install asus live update kept giving me (biosinfo.dll)error and some other errors in chinese..anyway i had a hard time with this board so i rma it waiting for another..also i couldnt install windows with my audigy 2 zs had to take it out or it would give me an error about vga cache or something..i am going to try a slipstream sp2 install when i get my board back..anyone having this issue?..i had my memory and hardrive and cpu from my last build all running great for a year in an asus a8vdeluxe..does anyone have any tips ...here are my specs

AMD 3500+ WINCHESTER
ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE
NEW SILVERSTONE 560 WATT ZEUS
2x512 CORSAIR 3200 XLL 2.2.2.5 STOCK
IDE 80GD HARD DRIVE 8MB CACHE
EVGA 7900 GT CO
AUDIGY 2 ZS

bup23 said:
hi i i made a move to pci express with the a8n32 had some problems though started with a fresh install of xp pro not slipstreamed with sp2 got the bluescreen saying bios not acpi compliant so pressed f7 and started to install getting numerous bluescreens messages from my hard drive to disable video cache and others..also random reboots while installing windows..i did however get into windows for awhile got sp2 and video drivers..strange thing my computer would restart on every reboot but it never rebooted by itself when i was acually in windows acually it was stable inside only one every reboot..the bios was the latest 1103 but i still couldnt install asus live update kept giving me (biosinfo.dll)error and some other errors in chinese..anyway i had a hard time with this board so i rma it waiting for another..also i couldnt install windows with my audigy 2 zs had to take it out or it would give me an error about vga cache or something..i am going to try a slipstream sp2 install when i get my board back..anyone having this issue?..i had my memory and hardrive and cpu from my last build all running great for a year in an asus a8vdeluxe..does anyone have any tips ...here are my specs

AMD 3500+
ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE
NEW SILVERSTONE 560 WATT ZEUS
2x512 CORSAIR 3200 XLL 2.2.2.5 STOCK
IDE 80GD HARD DRIVE 8MB CACHE
EVGA 7900 GT CO
AUDIGY 2 ZS

Downgrade your BIOS. I moved back 903 and things have been ok for a couple of days now.

ok i might try that if my next board gives me problems hopefully asus live will install next time cause i dont use a floppy drive but i have one..i have bad memories of the flashing in dos ended up with a bad bios chip a few years ago trying it..as fir asus live update installing i found out you had to delete a registry entry called awow or wow64 or something.. anyway i didnt have that entry so oh well..thx for the help :)

you don't have to have a floppy. rename the bios rom to A8NSLI.ROM I believe and hit Alt+F2 at bootup. It'll scan the CD and floppy for the image and flash for you. If I got the file name wrong, it tells you what file it's looking for when you do it.

so all i need is the file a8n32903.rom its called and burn it to a cd thats all the files i need?

bup23 said:
so all i need is the file a8n32903.rom its called and burn it to a cd thats all the files i need?

Yes, but make sure you rename to the file it's looking for.

got my board back got everything installed did the same thing as before so i ran memtest and got about 700 errors on test #6 so im freakin out that i gota get new memory but i flash to bios 903 still seems not much different and the irq,s are all basically on irq 10 im thinkin because the bios isnt acpi compliant?so next i reformat using the 903 bios evrything seems great especially since it is acpi compliant and there is no errors on the install then i get to windows and see my irq,s are all good...now no errors and i ran memtest and did 1 pass and no errors so i think the 1103 bios causes memtest errors in my case..so after 3 weeks and lots of grief i have rock solid system now..thx for the help little me 8)

bup23 said:
got my board back got everything installed did the same thing as before so i ran memtest and got about 700 errors on test #6 so im freakin out that i gota get new memory but i flash to bios 903 still seems not much different and the irq,s are all basically on irq 10 im thinkin because the bios isnt acpi compliant?so next i reformat using the 903 bios evrything seems great especially since it is acpi compliant and there is no errors on the install then i get to windows and see my irq,s are all good...now no errors and i ran memtest and did 1 pass and no errors so i think the 1103 bios causes memtest errors in my case..so after 3 weeks and lots of grief i have rock solid system now..thx for the help little me 8)
glad to hear you have everything up and running now.
1103 is known to cause errors in test six...
the way to fix it is disable usb legacy support in the bios. a weird bug...

Haste266 said:
glad to hear you have everything up and running now.
1103 is known to cause errors in test six...
the way to fix it is disable usb legacy support in the bios. a weird bug...

ty..i did disable all my usb devices when i installed windows and used p2 mouse but i didnt didnt know that was exact problem cool 8)

darkjedi said:
HARDWARE
Case: Lian-Li PC777 "Snail" case
PS: Silverstone "Strider" 600W
MoBo: A8N32-SLI Deluxe (BIOS 1009)
CPU: AMD FX-60 (currently OC'd to 2940 - 14x210)
HSF/FAN: Zalman 9500 (currently using Zalman HS paste)
RAM: (2) Corsair XMS3500LL 1GB (2GB total running at 210 FSB)
HD: (1) WD Raptor 150 GB (using nVidia IDE drivers)
Vid: (1) ATI Radeon X1900XTX (OC'd to 698core 797mem) using CAT 6.2's
Snd: onboard
NIC: onboard nVidia
Mon: Dell 2405
KB: Saitek "Eclipse"
Mse: Logitech G5

Prob's During Build
Niether my Zalman 7700Cu or Thermaltake Big Typhoon would fit with the tall Corsair RAM.

Solution
Ran to Fry's Electronics during install and picked up the Zalman 9500.

Current Issues
The temps on this board are just way too high. My FX-60 idles at 48C and loads at 60C :(
I have tried three different heatsink greases - AS5, generic white stuff, and the Zalman white stuff that came with the 9500... all have the same temps within 1C. Also, these temps go down by 1C if I do not OC. It will run games for hours, and will do dual Prime95 runs (1 for each core) for 36 hours with no issues. I am at the point where I think the BIOS is just reporting the temps wrong.

My thoughts
Other then then the high temp readings, this system is solid! No issues at all. Very fast boot, very overclockable, all games look awesome - HL2 (with HI-rez pack), SWG, WoW, FEAR all play and look amazing with all the options turned on at 1920x1200... The temps do bother me though... may try water cooling.

Could you tell me your timmings ram in bios ? I got the same hardware (Corsair 3500, FX60...)

HARDWARE:
mobo A8N32SLI
cpu Opty 170 Dual Core
memory2 X 1gb 3200 G.Skill
hard drive 1 X 80gb WD
graphics card 1 X 7900 GT KO
sound Onboard
power supply Thermaltake XP550 NP
shipped bios 903
current bios 1009

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
None.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
None.

None

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and running

HARDWARE
A8N32 Deluxe SLI
Opteron 165 @ 2.4Ghz
Corsair XMS3500LL Pro
120gb WD HDD 7200rpm
1x XFX 7600GS
Onboard sound
Seasonic S-12 600 watts
BIOS 1009

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
None

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
None to solve

CHANGED REPLACED HARDWARE:
None

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and Running

OBSERVATIONS:
Observed that this mobo runs HOT! After reading this thread, I removed the metal sticker thing on the SB and NB and it dropped my temperatures from 42C idle to 39C idle.

HARDWARE:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3800+ X2
1.5 gig of kingston generic ram
4 Maxtor 7200 250GB SATA in raid 0
Plextor PX-740A
Sound Blast Xfi Platinum
Antec Neo He A3.1 build 550 SLI
Windows XP Pro SP2 Slipstream
2 X Evga 7900GT
PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:

None

CURRENT STATUS:

Loaded windows and drivers fine. Will try to overclock some more. Right now only 10% AI overclock.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Opteron 165 @ 1800mhz (no OC yet)
2x 1GB Corsair XMS4000 (DDR500)
1x 150GB Raptor (System drive)
1x 320GB Cavier (Data drive)
Enermax 600W NoiseTaker II
Koolance PC3-724+, Koolance CPU cooler

Problems:
Motherboard/Chipset temps are wayyyy high. Even with the optional fan on the heatpipe (the CPU is watercooled). At idle the chipset temps are touching 47-51C, which is way higher than they should be. Some folks at the Asus forums mentioned plastic on top of the heatsinks, but I can't find any to remove.

Solution:
Not really sure yet. I don't want to even think about overclocking the machine until I get the chipset temps under control.

Maybe you guys can answer this question for me... I have an Asus A8N-E board but I'm thinking of upgrading to the A8N32 for the passive chipset cooling, but will I have to reinstall windows if I do?

HARDWARE
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD FX-57
2x 1GB G.Skill DDR500
150GB Raptor (system drive)
4x Maxtor 500GB (aren't hooked up yet)
2x eVGA 7900GTX in SLI
PCP&C 1kw Quad-SLI PSU
BIOS 1103

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
First install went perfect but started BSODing a crap load
Spent several days after that with BSOD's during install.
Couldn't get RAID5 on NV controller to work in XP.

SOLVED PROBLEMS BY:
Disabled game port
Manually set ram to 200 from 250
Will install on a PCI-E x4 8-port RAID card I'll order

CHANGED REPLACED HARDWARE:
Adding PCI-E x4 8-port RAID card instead of using onboard NV raid. Windows would never load, the blue bar would scroll for atleast a day(I tested). Upon restarting with last known good config(without the RAID setup) it would pop right into windows.

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and running

scrawnypaleguy said:
Maybe you guys can answer this question for me... I have an Asus A8N-E board but I'm thinking of upgrading to the A8N32 for the passive chipset cooling, but will I have to reinstall windows if I do?
yes you'll have to reinstall windows. different board, different chipset, different drivers.

HARDWARE:
mobo A8N32SLI
cpu AMD Athlon64 3800+ X2
memory Corsair XMS 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
hard drive(s) WD Raptor 74GB 10K RPM & Maxtor 120GB 7200 RPM
graphics card xFx GeForce 7900GT Extreme (520MHz) PCI-E
sound card Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
power supply Antec TruepowerII 550W P/S
shipped bios 1103
current bios 1103

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
Occasionally does not turn off after shutdown procedures completed.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Not solved

None

CURRENT STATUS:
Runs like a champ otherwise

HARDWARE:

Mother Board: ASUS A8N32-SLI Delux Edition
CPU: Athalon 64 x2 3800+ Manchester
Memory: 2x 1GB OCZ DDR400 Platinum Edition (2-3-2-5)
Hard disks: Seagate 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA II NCQ
Graphics: XFX Geforce 7900GT Extream (520MHz/1500MHz)
Sound: On Board Sound
Power Supply: OCZ Power Stream 520 watt
Shipped Bios: 1009
Current Bios: 1009

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:

After first build computer would not boot at all, all components powered. Beep code was two short one long. Tried unpluging graphics, and all drives, and one ram stick, no luck. Cycled between the two different ram sticks.

PROBLEM SOLVED BY:

One stick of ram was Dead on Arrival, one booted fine, other did not. Did NOT boot with both sticks in.

Ordered new RAM, installed and works like a charm (same type). RMA'd old ram for money back! <3 Newegg

CURRENT STATUS:

Working like a charm! Time to OC a little bit maybe :p

Back