THE A8N32 Build database

do I need to disable the onboard sound in the bios and where do I do that in bios

the sound card is creative labs soundblaster live 24-bit pci

My first build on my own, started at 9:00 o'clock last night and finshed at 3:00AM

Remove old items in my case and installed new items.

All most done

Windows installed and drives install for mother board. i wish i could have finshed but I had to be at work today by 7:00AM

Can wait to get home!!!!!!!

Damn, here's some info. The Promise SuperTrak EX8350 does not fit into the PCI-E x4 slot. The heatpipe angles up right where the back of the card is.

LittleMe said:
Damn, here's some info. The Promise SuperTrak EX8350 does not fit into the PCI-E x4 slot. The heatpipe angles up right where the back of the card is.

Yes, that was certainly a most annoying problem since deliberately bought the EX8350 for its 4x connection over another (better) 8x Card. Now running in the 16x slot. Also: I had no luck installing windows (BSOD) on the Promise RAID5. I expect however, that the ACPI, parallelport, gameport issue was really the issue there.

Mooseifert said:
Yes, that was certainly a most annoying problem since deliberately bought the EX8350 for its 4x connection over another (better) 8x Card. Now running in the 16x slot. Also: I had no luck installing windows (BSOD) on the Promise RAID5. I expect however, that the ACPI, parallelport, gameport issue was really the issue there.

Now I'm kind of stuck. After weeks of work trying to get the NV RAID 5 to work, I couldn't. Windows will install the drivers, the RAID5 array will be detected and installed, it will see the array and put it online for maybe 3 seconds then drop one of the drives. Upon restart, the NV bios will say the array is online and healthy but Windows will never load. I waited for a day and blue bar just kept moving across, it never froze. Not sure what to do from here, I guess maybe looking into putting the drives into a SAN/NAS solution or removing the current cooling solution and putting something else on.

Can someone PM me if they had or knew someone else who had issues with shutting down (windows shuts down but comptuer doesnt turn off) and figured out how to fix it?

that's really the only persisting issue with my whole rig right now. the longer the computer is on after bootup the worse the chance it can fully shut down

Ithe shutdown issue occured once and never again hmm weird. The hardrives are do shutdown though and stop spinning.

The A8N32 does have its issues however it works and its stable, can you believe I have not had a single bluescreen (excluding ACPI) since january when I bought it and even after running SLI for the past month or so.

I also have a problem with a lockup when ever I need to soft reboot my computer (ie a restart in windows or pressing the reset button).

My rig is rock solid overclocked, except for this one issue.

Is it possibly defective somewhere? I hate to RMA it and have the same issue :(

LittleMe said:
Now I'm kind of stuck. After weeks of work trying to get the NV RAID 5 to work, I couldn't. Windows will install the drivers, the RAID5 array will be detected and installed, it will see the array and put it online for maybe 3 seconds then drop one of the drives. Upon restart, the NV bios will say the array is online and healthy but Windows will never load. I waited for a day and blue bar just kept moving across, it never froze. Not sure what to do from here, I guess maybe looking into putting the drives into a SAN/NAS solution or removing the current cooling solution and putting something else on.

I had the same problem. I enabled all the legacy ports (parallel, serial, midi) and used the newest bios for the raidcard. That fixed the problem.

Mooseifert said:
I had the same problem. I enabled all the legacy ports (parallel, serial, midi) and used the newest bios for the raidcard. That fixed the problem.

I'm not at home to check but I think the only legacy port I have disabled is the game port. Do you have that enabled or disabled?

LittleMe said:
I'm not at home to check but I think the only legacy port I have disabled is the game port. Do you have that enabled or disabled?

I enabled it but I cannot say whether that was, what fixed the problem because I changed all of the following:

before:
serial, parallel, midi disabled
Raid bios version: 2.8.0.25
raid driver: 2.8.0.14

after:
serial, parallel, midi enabled
Raid bios version: 2.9.0.15
raid driver: 2.9.0.6

Which of the changes actually fixed the problem, I cannot say.

I'm gonna give it a try again tomorrow. I'm also going to upgrade the BIOS from 1103 to the new 1205. They list enhanced SATA RAID as one of the updates.

HARDWARE
A8N32 Deluxe SLI
Opteron 170 @ 2.6Ghz
2 x 1GB Corsair XMS3200
75GB WD Raptor 10000RPM
250GB Maxtor 7200RPM SATA
eVga 7900GTX
Onboard sound
PC P&C 510 SLi
BIOS 1205

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
None

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
None to solve

CHANGED REPLACED HARDWARE:
None

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and Running

OBSERVATIONS:
OC options are alot different then my previous A8N SLi Premium mobo :( ..still trying to figure them all out

[F]old|[H]ard

HARDWARE

A8N32-SLI
AMD64 X2 4800
SAMSUNG DVDR
NEC DVDR
2GB CORSAIR PC3200
74GB WD Raptor
250GB WD SATA
ATi X1950XTX
CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 GAMER
CORSAIR 620HX

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
Onboard NIC would cutout at times, replaced with a NIC card. This is the 3rd Asus board that has done this.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Added NIC Card

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and Running

j3ttblack said:
I also have a problem with a lockup when ever I need to soft reboot my computer (ie a restart in windows or pressing the reset button).

My rig is rock solid overclocked, except for this one issue.

Is it possibly defective somewhere? I hate to RMA it and have the same issue :(

I also have this very same issue. Once booted however, its rock solid.

I haven't flashed to 1205 yet, because I don't want to risk losing my raid array. Can anyone confirm/deny that 1205 resolved the issue, or is there any known solution?

HARDWARE:
mobo A8N32SLI
cpu X2 - 4800
memory2 X 1gb Hyper X KHX3200AK2 - wouldn't recommend this ram for this mobo as far as I can tell
hard drive(s)2 X 320 Seagate Barracuda 2x WD 250s
graphics card: x1900xtx
sound card: Creative Audigy 2
power supply: Modsteam 520
03s
current bios 12s

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
Put the biuld together and forgot to move an ide drive, it was in the way of the pci connnector
ACPI non compliant issues.
Pool Header
Lockups during install
Extra Floppy drive
IE: Script errors

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Eject the driver disk right away so the dos driver does not create a secondary floppy.
Silicon Image must be enabled for acpi not to appear for windows to install.
Sata 2 and 3 must be disabled, for two floppies not appear
new nforce drivers, marvel lan must be used, script errors disappear once these are installed.
Install the amd driver before the optimizer.

CHANGED/REPLACED HARDWARE:
None

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and running

HARDWARE

A8N32-SLI BIOS REV. 1303
AMD X2 4200+
SONY DUAL LAYER DVDR
2GB KINGSTON
300GB SEAGATE SATA 16MB BUFFER
250GB MAXTOR SATA 16MB BUFFER
120GB WESTERN DIGITAL
eVGA (2) 7900GT KO SLI
CREATIVE AUDIGY
ZALMAN COPPER CPU COOLER
3 120MM FANS
250WATT THERMAL TAKE GPU PSU
500WATT X-CONNECT PSU
COOLERMASTER CENTURION CASE
21" GATEWAY WIDESCREEN LCD

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
NONE

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
NONE

CURRENT STATUS:
UP AND RUNNING

HARDWARE
ASUS A8N32 SLI-DELUXE
AMD X2 4600+
2 gig Gskill
EVGA 7900 GTKO
WD RAPTOR 150
HIPER 580 psu
ARMOUR CASE
ARCTIC COOLER PRO64 hsf

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD
Cpu idled at 48, updated bios to 1303. Killed usb ports on mobo. Cpu overheats 71 running prime for 10 min. This is at 50% load. Re-installed HSF so many times I can do it blindfolded. Finally wont boot at all. Overheats and shuts down when entering bios. Lowered cpu voltage to 1.31 no change.

PROBLEMS SOLVED BY
?

CURRENT STATUS
RMA

Thought I'd try here first.

Rig:
A8N32-SLI Bios 1303
Opteron 165 @ 2.5ghz (HTT 280, mulitplier x9, k8>NB x4, mem lim 166) - Overclock is stable
1gb Corsair DDR400LL @ ~233 (timings relaxed)
2xWD74gb Rapto - Raid-0 (via nforce4)
Creative X-Fi
7800GTX

The problem I'm having is when testing the raid-0 performance something seems very off. HDtach shows an average read of 14.3MB and a burst of 20MB. Compared to what others have shown in this test I am way off (read should be around 110 and burst 197). Using the latest Nvidia drivers. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

*Update*
Stumbled across the culprit thanks to some other forums. Read caching was causing huge performance loss. With that disabled (devicemanager>raid/sata controller properties) everything is where it should be.

I just recently built my new system.

A8n32 Sli deluxe
AMD X2 4800
Corsair XMS pro 3200 3-3-3-8 2 gigs
Raptor 150
Plextor 760
View sonic VX922
Evga 7900 Gt 512 Mb
SoundBlaster Xfi Fatality
PC Power Cooling silencer 750

After I got everything put together, I went to power on the system and nothing, the motherboard light was on so I new there was power. Fixxed by redoing the front panel connectors, I really wish some company would make a universal one connecter version of those stupid little wires.

Powered on, no signal to the monitor, I reseated everything, still nothing. so I switched my memory from the blue Dimms to the Black ones, and it worked. Installed windows in about 20 minutes, realized I had the card reader plugged in so my main hard drive was "I"

Reformated with out the card reader plugged in and the system harddrive is now "C" as it should be.
Everything else went well. Doing some cable management and looking to order some shorter sata cables. Over all went well.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 1205
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 Gigs Corsair TwinX PC3200 CP2T (4 sticks all matched)
SB Live! 5.1
Evga Geforce 7900 GT KO 256mb
120gig WD caviar(IDE) + 74gig Raptor (SATA)
600w Enermax Noisetaker II

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
ACPI BSOD during windows install.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
USB legacy off. Parallel enabled.

CURRENT STATUS:
UP AND RUNNING

A8N32-SLI Deluxe Bios 1303
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
4 Gigs Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G (4 sticks)
SB Live! Value
ATI AIW X800 XL
2 x Fujitsu SUN18G SCSI 18GB HDD
Maxtor 6Y080M0 PATA HDD
Maxtor 6Y200P0 PATA HDD
Maxtor 6Y080L0 SATAI HDD
2 x WD3200KS SATAII HDD
360W Enermax PSU
CPU watercooled, Storm G5 W/B (copy), 2900MHz, Vcore=1.425V

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:

1) Windows XP X64 Pro can't finsih boot up when Memory Hole is enabled, recognizes only 3GB of RAM when it is not enabled.

2) WD discs do not work on nForce4 SATA controller, they both work on Silicone image controller though.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Problems not solved yet

CURRENT STATUS:
Up and running with only 3GB of RAM and only one WD 3200KS HDD

Any help much appreciated!

See Signature

Problems During Build: Intermittent loss of DVD burner.

Current Status : Still intermittent.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2 Gigs Corsair TwinX PC3200 CP2T
Evga Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
2 x 320 GB Seagate SATA II & 1 80GB Seagate SATA I
500w Thermaltake SLI PSU

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
Memtest was kicking out errors left and right, all different. System would freeze, and not start. Random beep codes at startup. Ringing beep, one long & three short.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Replaced the bad memory with another set of the same from newegg.com and this set came back good. When I installed it in the system it passed memtest with no issues at all. My system freeze and beep codes, et al are beign caused by my case. I have a thermaltake Armor case which is amazing, BUT the PCI expansion cars won't sit flush against their slots. It's like the slot opening is too high and the bend in the faceplate of the PCI card hangs up the PCI card from sitting flush... I haven't decided what I plan on doing at the moment regarding that. Since the case has retention clips for pci cars, I'm considering using metal shears and cutting the screw down part of the face plates off...
UPDATE: My case has extra long standoffs and I didn't use them and used my own standoff's instead. This created the problem with my expansion cards. I took the mobo out and put in the standoffs that came with the board and now they sit flush.

So in all, it took some advanced troubleshooting skills to get this rig up and running and stable, but it was well worth it to me as an enthusiast. Others may not find this suitable however.

CURRENT STATUS:
RIG UP and running now just shy of 24 hours no issues.

UPDATE: I've had to RMA the board. I started having an issue where the machine would post with one long beep and three short beeps (1 long, 3 short) which according to AMI indicates a Memory above 64KB error. However windows continues to load, et al. The monitors show no display or signal.

To correct this problem I have to pop the top and reseat the memory every time. This happens 7 out of 10 times attempting to restart. Hopefully the new board will be stable.

rael said:
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2 Gigs Corsair TwinX PC3200 CP2T
Evga Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
2 x 320 GB Seagate SATA II & 1 80GB Seagate SATA I
500w Thermaltake SLI PSU

PROBLEMS DURING BUILD:
Memtest was kicking out errors left and right, all different. System would freeze, and not start. Random beep codes at startup. Ringing beep, one long & three short.

SOLVED PROBLEM BY:
Not solved yet.

CURRENT STATUS:
I've RMA'd the memory to newegg.com before I found this thread and tried a few different bios settings. So I cross shipped a new set, same memory and it should be here tomorrow for me to try to get the system up and running.

did you disable USB legacy? that is know to cause mem test errors.

robble said:
did you disable USB legacy? that is know to cause mem test errors.

Not yet. I had RMA'd the memory before I found this thread. I have a new set coming in today that I'm going to try in the system and have about 6 or 7 things from this thread that I'm going to try. I'll update my thread above with results as they come in.

bup23 said:
so all i need is the file a8n32903.rom its called and burn it to a cd thats all the files i need?

CORRECTION: It looks for the file named A8N32SLI.ROM

So, which ever BIOS rev you DL, rename it to what I placed above in all caps and it'll work just fine. :)

Nice not having to have a seperate flash util and having a flash util built into the system.

My floppy drive is ALMOST DEAD!!! Now to slipstream the NV Raid drivers into Windows XP SP2. :)

Hey everyone

First post to the forums!!!! Also I am sort of a newbie...I have built a system before from scratch and fried my processor on the 1st attempt. I think I had the voltage settings incorrect at boot up. Anyway my system is old. I am still running an Athalon 1700XP and pc100 memory on a K266 board.

Well needless to say I have to upgrade...my system wont even play certain games now. Tried to fire up MSFT's FABLE and got all kinds of errors!!!

This is what I am lookin at. The A8N32-SLI MOBO, Corsair TWINX1024C2 (2x512), AMD 64 4000+ (single core).

That is the base setup.

Then comes 1 GPU...I am thinking that I will get:
1. XFX PVT71PUDD3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB since it is already oc'ed from the factory 600MHZ MEM clock 1600MHz.
2. ASUS EN7900GS TOP/2DHT/256M GeForce 7900GS also factory oc'ed.

Tell me what you think of this setup...should it rock??? It will cost me $600.00 even out the door.

Also I need this motherboard because I have 3 ULTRA DMA hard drives and this is the most up to date motherboard that still provides 2 EIDE ports. I am NOT going to reformat my C drive...I am just going to put the system together and fire it up with WIN XP pro. I will clean up my driver first though.

Okay guys ANY CONCERNS about my setup and would it be fairly easy to fire up????
Lastly I have seen, what to me would be tons of issues. I have never flashed a BIOS before...I heard it can be tricky. It seems that some of these boards are also coming out of the factory bad!!!

Brasscorpion

Sir, this system should as you say fly. The only real troublesome thing mentioned is not doing a clean installation of windows.This is very foolish with all these top line parts coming together.You really need to rethink the issue. For a single core cpu the 4000 is fine if your not o/clocking but if your going to o/clock the opteron would be a better choise.
No o/clocks you go for the highest cpu mhz you can afford. O/clocks you buy a cheaper cpu and clock the hell out of it. Anyway just a suggestion.
What p/supply are you running with this rig. Remember choose a quality power supply with plenty of power.that video card is power hungry. You have a very nice system here,one that anyone would be proud of for sure. That is a very nice motherboard and your cpu for a single core and 1 meg of cashe is good too. The opteron 140 series is good for o/clocking like mad on stock volts. But if your running stock speeds after frying 1 cpu I can understand why you might want to go with a stock spees cpu.
Well good luck with your build and take your time. You can always refer to these forums for advise on how to set things up so you dont fry anything else....I wish i had that board and cpu. Oh by the way asus boards seem to love corsair xms ram .my a8n-e o/clocks real well with my xms ram and at stock.

I will be running a 500W power supply that i just bought. It is the Ultra V Series. Cost me about 50.00.

Okay on to the issue of not doing a clean INSTALL.

I have SOOOOO many programs on my C drive that it would be impossible to go out and load them all back up...it would take days. I don't want to hijack this thread since it is specific to this MoBo's setup and configurations. I will post a new thread in a different forum.

Please look for it and explain my foolishness t me there...much appreciated thanks

Brasscorpion

Question..why when I disable USB legacy support in the bios my usb mouse doesnt work? Is this normal? I have the usb settings to hi-speed. Thanks guys.

A8N32 SLI Deluxe
Athlon64 3700+ San Diego
2x512MB DDR500 CL2.5 Twinmos Twister
2xGF6800GS 256MB (one Gigabyte, one MSI) with NV silencer
Asus Vento 3600 case with Asus branded 450W power supply
old 80GB seagate HD
LG 16x DVD-burner
LS120

Ripped out the faulty A8N-SLI, in came the A8N32, windows recognized the new hardware and that was it. Running rock solid, got 9010 3dmarks in 3DM2K5 without any overclocking at all (that was the fastest speed for a non-overclocked system with this configuration in the ORB).

Will upgrade to 2x1GB if I can find some ram with decent prices and performance. 4x512 is a no-no since the Twisters are double-sided.

A8N32 SLi Deluxe
Athlon64 3500+ Venice
2 x 1gb Corsair XMS PC3200
Radeon X800XL
Hauppauge WinTV PVR150 MCE tv tuner
SB Audigy 4 sound card
Corsair 520w power supply
1 x 320gb Seagate 7200.10 HD (primary)
1 x 250gb Western Digital HD (secondary)
NEC dvd burner
Lian Li PC-7B case

Everything seems to be running fine, but the board is not being recognized. I tried installing Asus Update from the install CD and it wouldn't install because it said that no Asus board was detected. I looked in Everest home edition and it also cannot ID the board correctly.

Any ideas on fixes?

new problem: When I turn on my PC I get one long beep followed by three short beeps which leads to a memory code, but I just replaced this memory and it ran through memtest without any errors.

Any ideas?

See my specs above.

new problem: When I turn on my PC I get one long beep followed by three short beeps which leads to a memory code, but I just replaced this memory and it ran through memtest without any errors.

Any ideas?

See my specs above.

Uhh, isn't 3 a video card problem? Try reseating the card.

System:
AMD X2 4200+
A8N32-SLI DLX
4x512mb DDR400 (mushkin)
evga 7800GT 256mb
Seagate 320gig 7200.10rpm
WD 120gig 7200rpm
Sony 16x DVD-+R/W
PowMax 480W PSU

Problems during build:
* First boot came up with BOOT BLOCK
* System ran my DDR400 @ DDR333
* Long post time, bios didn't see Seagate 320gig HD, Windows XP install wouldn't see Seagate 320gig.

Solved problems by:
* Moved CMOS clear jumper over.
* Forced DDR rate limit to 200MHz
* Unplugged WD 120gig HD that was on Primary IDE, leaving Sony DVD burner as slave, moved Seagate 320gig HD to Sata 2 from Sata 1. Once windows XP installed plugged in WD 120gig and all was great.

Current status:
System working great, been running 4 days now just great, Stock CPU speed, idle 30c, load 47c (stock HSF)

Uhh, isn't 3 a video card problem? Try reseating the card.

System:
AMD X2 4200+
A8N32-SLI DLX
4x512mb DDR400 (mushkin)
evga 7800GT 256mb
Seagate 320gig 7200.10rpm
WD 120gig 7200rpm
Sony 16x DVD-+R/W
PowMax 480W PSU

Problems during build:
* First boot came up with BOOT BLOCK
* System ran my DDR400 @ DDR333
* Long post time, bios didn't see Seagate 320gig HD, Windows XP install wouldn't see Seagate 320gig.

Solved problems by:
* Moved CMOS clear jumper over.
* Forced DDR rate limit to 200MHz
* Unplugged WD 120gig HD that was on Primary IDE, leaving Sony DVD burner as slave, moved Seagate 320gig HD to Sata 2 from Sata 1. Once windows XP installed plugged in WD 120gig and all was great.

Current status:
System working great, been running 4 days now just great, Stock CPU speed, idle 30c, load 47c (stock HSF)

Since we have AMI BIOS, one long beep and three short beeps is memory, not video.

I know the memory is good though. It passes all the memtest tests just fine.

When I press the power button, the system cycles through and then beeps with nothing displayed on screen.

I have to, and this may be entirely unrelated, pop the cover of the system and reseat the memory sticks and pull the power on the machine and then power it back up and then only once every ....10 times will it work.

I'm going to check memory voltage and timings when I get home later tonight.

So frustrating.

Back