TF2 "Mann-Conomy" Update.

I'm probably in the minority here but I like the item updates. The more stuff to kill people with the better. Other than one or two melee weapons, all the stock weapons are better than their newer, shinier alternatives. The different playstyles that certain items promote makes fights more interesting as you can't deploy the same tactics every time. I think they were right on the money in saying that the TF2 universe is the perfect place to try out new ideas and concepts and I'm all for it.

I was really hoping for something cool for the Soldier but I guess I'm sticking to my Direct Hit. Spent most of my night on the trade forums getting the Vintage Troublemaker's Tossle Cap, Vintage Soldier's Stash, and Vintage Demoman's Fro :D.

Some of the items, like weapons, can be purchased and do have an affect on the game.

Unless something changed in TF 2 from what I remember the weapons, which affect game play, take almost no time at all to get. And they had advantages/disadvantages, none was really "better." (some were arguably better in every way) I think I got every weapon in 2 weeks or so when I bought the game a few months ago. It was just the decoration items that were "rare." I haven't played much since SC 2 came out, so I wouldn't know if something changed in that regard.

And all of those are dropped as well. Buying is for those poeple that want instant gratification.

Dropped being the operative word. I've played TF2 since release and have only ever got the Ghibus, Cheater's Lament, and the wanky little badge doodad (the three guaranteed fluff drops, not counting weapons). Not complaining, mind. Just best to bear in mind that people don't have them.

Buying cosmetic fluff I can see being a moot point, but buying weapon unlocks is dirt and period blood mixed up in a bucket of Germans and sick.

Unless something changed in TF 2 from what I remember the weapons, which affect game play, take almost no time at all to get. And they had advantages/disadvantages, none was really "better." (some were arguably better in every way) I think I got every weapon in 2 weeks or so when I bought the game a few months ago. It was just the decoration items that were "rare." I haven't played much since SC 2 came out, so I wouldn't know if something changed in that regard.

Item drops are completely "random." Some stuff can be crafted, but not a lot of the newly released purchasable items.

So player A buys his items and has them right away while player B waits for the drop.

Now you would say that there is no real advantage here because of the different weapons, pros and cons, etc. But this is simply not true. Since all of these class updates there are definite imbalances going on in this game. Some of them might not be drastic, but it exists nonetheless.

My point stands. Only the stupid cosmetic shit should be buy-able.

I pretty much agree there, drops are very slow for me and some of the weapon imbalances are just awful.

Item drops are completely "random." Some stuff can be crafted, but not a lot of the newly released purchasable items.

So player A buys his items and has them right away while player B waits for the drop.

Now you would say that there is no real advantage here because of the different weapons, pros and cons, etc. But this is simply not true. Since all of these class updates there are definite imbalances going on in this game. Some of them might not be drastic, but it exists nonetheless.

My point stands. Only the stupid cosmetic shit should be buy-able.

If that is the case then I would also be against those changes to an extent. When the game was sold there was no mention of game play advantages for those that pay more. I personally do not play f2p FPS games for this reason (among others). I do play f2p MMOs, but I knew about these advantages before hand.

I would however not have any issue with cosmetic content. Extra separate content (new maps akin to what old expansion packs would be). Or even game play items that were essentially easy to get. Like I mentioned if it just takes you 2 weeks to get everything without paying, whatever, couldn't care less that people pay extra to get it faster. If you are talking dozens to hundreds of hours or months in a terms of an advantage, then yes I think people are right to be upset, since the game was not advertised as such.

But I haven't played TF 2 since SC 2 came out really, so I can't say first hand what the drop rate or balance issues are.

I think it's awesome. Why should I spend hours and hours of my precious time hoping for some drop if I can just spend a fraction of my disposable income to buy it. I wish more games would go this way and put the value of entertainment square on the player instead of sticking to some rigid system that favors those who's RL time is worthless.

Shame, I was just starting to get back into the game... oh well, plenty of other games to play. :(

Now that they are done (temporary if the sales of these game items are good) I wish they'd get to fooking work on that new demo player/format they were talking about 2 years ago, I'm sick of demos breaking

YES! Finally, I have a way of being able to easily identify and target smacktards for rocket launcher annihilation! Yes, please do don your exclusive hats. They won't save you.

I think it's awesome. Why should I spend hours and hours of my precious time hoping for some drop if I can just spend a fraction of my disposable income to buy it. I wish more games would go this way and put the value of entertainment square on the player instead of sticking to some rigid system that favors those who's RL time is worthless.

Yes lets not have to work for anything. Instant gratification go!

Money shops for games aren't my thing, but to be fair most people work for their money.

When I played WoW and worked 60 hours a week, the only way to spend my limited time playing actually having fun was to buy gold. Yeah, I don't quite agree with it, but the fact that one hour of my real life job would basically cover a month of repairs/supplies etc. was difficult to pass up, when the other option was to spend 1 out of every 2 hours I had free 'farming' to enjoy the game.

/shrug

Money shops for games aren't my thing, but to be fair most people work for their money.

When I played WoW and worked 60 hours a week, the only way to spend my limited time playing actually having fun was to buy gold. Yeah, I don't quite agree with it, but the fact that one hour of my real life job would basically cover a month of repairs/supplies etc. was difficult to pass up, when the other option was to spend 1 out of every 2 hours I had free 'farming' to enjoy the game.

/shrug

The only issue I have is it depends on the game. If the game out right from the start mentions real cash for game play advantages, that is perfectly fine. It is a valid business model, and people can choose to partake in it.

If however the game itself is not specifically said to be designed that or designed that way at all from the developers intention (such as WoW gold buying), is what people have an issue with.

Part of the reason people spend money to buy the game initially is an expectation of a level playing field, to change that, it changes what they paid for.

Take for instance Starcraft 2, if they suddenly added better units for real cash, I would be upset. Why? Because when I initially purchased the game it was based on an expectation that something like that would not happen. Had I known, I would never have bought it in the first place.

You are confused.
I work for RL money, which is actual work as opposed to spending countless hours in a video game "working" on getting a particular item.

I can afford to drop cash on entertainment (movies, games, bars, dinners, concerts, etc.) because I am financially successful IRL. To me it makes no sense to farm something in-game for 10 hours of grind if I can just pay $15 for it and move on.

It's like you are asking me to raise a pig before I am eligible to have a pork chop for dinner because only then I actually worked for that pork chop, otherwise I just used instant gratification of exchanging money for food.

You are confused.
I work for RL money, which is actual work as opposed to spending countless hours in a video game "working" on getting a particular item.

I can afford to drop cash on entertainment (movies, games, bars, dinners, concerts, etc.) because I am financially successful IRL. To me it makes no sense to farm something in-game for 10 hours of grind if I can just pay $15 for it and move on.

It's like you are asking me to raise a pig before I am eligible to have a pork chop for dinner because only then I actually worked for that pork chop, otherwise I just used instant gratification of exchanging money for food.

I'm not confused. And you probably use cheat codes whenever possible because you can't be bothered with dying or having to collect items, stock ammo, etc.

I'm not confused. And you probably use cheat codes whenever possible because you can't be bothered with dying or having to collect items, stock ammo, etc.

Wait, did you just post a logical fallacy?

You are confused.

The difference is that up until now the only real use hats had was to show everyone else how much time you'd put in to the game, they were hard to get and so desirable.

Simply being able to pay for them negates any real point in having them in the first place.

just yesterday I played TF2 ctf_doublecross map for about four hours, I’m addicted to this map. I only played Engi and hardly used the shotgun, I just love building the sentry gun, dispenser, and the teleporter and keep fixing them.

I hardly know what are the items I have and I don’t care about using or crafting them so the idea of paying money to get more of them is a joke for me and I wouldn’t do it even if buying all of this game items costs $1 because I simply don’t care. but I don’t think the whole idea of this mann thing is that bad

Last edited:
The difference is that up until now the only real use hats had was to show everyone else how much time you'd put in to the game, they were hard to get and so desirable.

Simply being able to pay for them negates any real point in having them in the first place.

That's why Valve re-classified all the traditional dropped and crafted items as "Vintage".

My TF2 Backpack

They wanted to ensure that items acquired through the "ole-fashioned way" were always set apart from purchased items. And you CANT trade or craft purchased items- so Vintage has tangible value.

Some of the items, like weapons, can be purchased and do have an affect on the game.

None of the TF2 items (purchased or earned) have "Sword of a Thousand Truths" power. (save for Robin Walker's Valve Rocket Launcher :)

Any "buffed item" has consequences, and any "buffed items" can be countered.

I can't believe anyone cares about this. It is such a non-issue. The weapons you can buy are are all craftable or can be easily found through drops. On top of that, none of the items are "upgrades"; they are all "lateralgrades" at best (some are clear downgrades). The weapons don't give anyone a leg up, they just change the play style. Who cares if people buy them? In 1 month everyone will have found everything anyway.

In the end, Valve gets a little money to support the updates (which have been generously given for free), without making everyone pay. On top of that, the balance of the game isn't affected in the slightest.

Dont forget some of the main bonuses require an entire set. Sniper can be immune to headshots but with the ENTIRE SET not just the hat or something.

I can't believe people still play this awful game. It's more of an MMORPG than anything.
I remove the "casual gamers" from my STEAM friends who I still see keep playing the stupid thing. Mediocre at best.

I can't believe people still play this awful game. It's more of an MMORPG than anything.
I remove the "casual gamers" from my STEAM friends who I still see keep playing the stupid thing. Mediocre at best.

lmao 0mg ur so l33t

Sniper can be immune to headshots but with the ENTIRE SET not just the hat or something.

Which sounds amazing until you realize that one of the items takes away the Sniper's own ability to headshot people.

TFC > TF2 any day of the week. TF2 got old really damn fast, I miss the old days (in TFC) when the game was fun as hell. I knew from the get go as soon as they announced the cartoonish characters that this game would gay out sooner or later.

I guess I was right.

Just loaded up the game. Have not played in a few months. Noticed 0 difference and while playing for about an hour got one of the new weapons....big whoop. As long as they are still dropped every now and then it makes no difference.

Lol I logged on to check out the store. 17.49 USD for an alligator hat -- excuse me? haha.

Just loaded up the game. Have not played in a few months. Noticed 0 difference and while playing for about an hour got one of the new weapons....big whoop. As long as they are still dropped every now and then it makes no difference.

Oh, thank christ for that. It's ok guys, anecdotal evidence based on an hour's play says it's all fine.

Oh, thank christ for that. It's ok guys, anecdotal evidence based on an hour's play says it's all fine.

My point was the drops for new stuff are still coming so it matters very little that someone can buy stuff. In one single payload map I saw 2 drops for new items. I guess its more productive to whine about changes though. Have fun kid.

Guys the new weapons are incredibly easy to make. Takes usually one weapon + reclaimed metal = new weapon. I haven't had any problems still having fun, I don't feel like paying for any hats so I won't; big deal.

I bought the rocket jumper (got the hat for free) waiting for the keys to drop about $2.24 in price so I can open 1 of the 3 crates I have which if I didn't hit the drop limit in a few hours I'm sure I would've had more crates...lets not give him one of the 50 items he doesn't have, lets give him a crate which needs a key which costs $2.49

Back