TF2 "Mann-Conomy" Update.

Azazel90x

2[H]4U
fek5h.jpg

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1

One of the interesting side effects of shipping free updates for Team Fortress 2 over the years has been a large and devoted group of people who write us asking if they can simply buy game items directly. We also get regular feedback from the bean counters on our fourth floor, who -- after watching with tooth-grinding irritation as we shipped over 120 free updates to a three-year-old game -- gently suggested that we "make some f$*&ing money already."

Then it hit us: it'd make everybody happy if we really DID let players buy items directly. Players'd be happy because we actually listened to them for once, and the bean counters would be happy because in-game stores are the future of everything, including making some f$*&ing money already.

Seems like a great way to make money off dumb players, and before everyone starts bitching, read the FAQ - http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/FAQ/

Murdoc in the Steam forums said it best. And now I completely understand why Valve did it
At first I was pretty disappointed by this apparent sell out behaviour but after a little think it is pretty obvious why they are doing it...

If trading was implemented without the option to buy things then people would head straight to ebay and start buying/selling things anyway, keeping valve completely out of the loop. As I believe happens in every online RPG ever.

Selling things officially is a way to put a price cap on things and stop trading sending everything all black market.

Besides, you can still craft all these items by using the usual 2 item community items method anyway. (http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/FAQ/)

Yes, some people will just buy everything, but would you rather they did it via ebay or Valve?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448350

Last edited:
It says that any items which provide an actual advantage can be found as well as bought. Only items which are purely cosmetic are purchase only.

Well, in that case they should have a purely cosmetic hat which says SUCKER on it. :D

Even after reading the FAQ, I'd say the same thing.

Items are no longer a symbol of how lucky you are or how much you've played; its a symbol of how much money that 15yr old kid's mom gave him.

This is going a little overboard.

horse armor... err i meant bunny ears and a big gun?
But no, i think this is fine as long as they offer a good value. let me put it another way, typically accessories cost something, for most people, the cost is time. For some, who have the money, it could be money. A lot depends on how many items will they sell and what the price will be.

imagine playing for days, and you still havent been able to get that one item that you wanted. I can see someone spending a buck or so to get a bundle of items.

You can still craft the polycount items in the same way you used to craft other community items. Which is good for me, because I've been saving my garbage duplicates for the past two months for this very purpose.

What is Valve doing? I know nothing is forced but man I miss the days of no unlocks, no hats just vanilla

They need to give us a damn vanilla cvar or something already

lol I wonder how much some sucker would pay for the pre-order medal? :D or some on the special 'one time only' items?

I haven't picked TF2 up in a while... might have to check it out later.

Remember when TF2 was TF2? Good times.

having played the orange box (and specifically, TF2) on the PS3 recently, I'm gald it went in the direction it did. TF2 in it's vanilla form was pretty dull

What is Valve doing? I know nothing is forced but man I miss the days of no unlocks, no hats just vanilla

There are server side cvars for this I believe. I've played in a few that wouldn't let you use your items/hats or anything other than stock weapons

Yay, new toys to play with. Is it me or does "The Shortstop" seem overpowered as hell? That's a beastly upgrade to the pistol unless there's some undocumented downside to it.

Feels like the game has almost become some kind of experiment.

Feels like the game has almost become some kind of experiment.

that's because it is... :)

PCGamer said:
Team Fortress 2 isn't just a for shooting spies and torching scouts, it also lets Valve try things it couldn't do anywhere else.

Valve co-founder and managing director Gabe Newell says that class-based, multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2 is a great place for the developer to experiment and try out new ideas, without upsetting fans.

Newell said that because TF2 was a more stylized game than the likes of Half-Life or Left 4 Dead, it was possible to do all kinds of crazy stuff without "destroying" it. He used the example of the funny hats that Valve has added to the game, saying that it would have been nearly impossible to try that on something like Counter- Strike, but that it was something that TF2 could easily absorb.

Newell says that Team Fortress 2 isn't the only place that Valve tries out new ideas, adding that every game presents opportunities to try different things, but he admits that the range of interesting ideas is a lot more limited with more realistic games. "[E]ach time we look at it, [we ask] 'What are the things we evaluate?'" he said. "'What are the things we want to learn from this? What are the things we want to try out? And what are the safe things that we can try out that won't screw our customers?'"

It's fascinating to think that the additions to Team Fortress 2 aren't just about making that game better, but about making all of Valve's games better. Kind of makes you wonder exactly what it's learning from us.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/08/interview-gabe-on-valves-big-surprises/

^^ Ah. There we have it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Yeah, I stopped playing when all that shit started coming out.

I hate hats because they really detract from any enjoyment I may have had playing the game.

Oh wait.

I hate hats because they really detract from any enjoyment I may have had playing the game.

Oh wait.

I enjoy my games when they aren't used as goofy experiments. Just because they're adding content doesn't mean you should always eat it up and say "Yes, more please.". Adding maps makes sense, adding more achievements somewhat makes sense. Adding hats, weapon drops, crafting, and now cosmetics-for-cash is just fucking stupid any way you slice it.

It's so far from the original Team Fortress now it's unbelievable. Eagerly (not) awaiting raid bosses.

$17.50 for a hat?! $5 for a weapon? Screw that! Look at the prices in the store, freaking absurd. I predict this will at worst be the end of TF2, and at best end up like dynamic weapon pricing in CSS.

$17.50 for a hat?! $5 for a weapon? Screw that! Look at the prices in the store, freaking absurd. I predict this will at worst be the end of TF2, and at best end up like dynamic weapon pricing in CSS.

Sounds like an easy way to determine how much your TF2 character is worth on the open market. Maybe we'll see Chinese item farmers show up in TF2 now.

And I say this as a joke, as I really don't find the additions too distracting....although it does upset me how much scrap metal it takes to make most things. Especially after I was deleting items back when they first added crap because they didn't add crafting for months and it was constantly asking me to delete things so I cleared out my extras back it was driving me nuts.....then a week later they added crafting. That pissed me off and has tainted my view of their additions since then related to crafting.

But if these prices are true, they are absurd.

I'm fine with all the addons and what not. Adds a little twist to the classes as time goes by, keeps things fresh. Who cares if it is far from the original Team Fortress? Move on, things change. If you want to play the original, play the original.

As far as the prices, they are higher than what I would be willing to pay. Hats are $5-18 each. Weapons are $.50-1.50 for the old ones and $2.50-5 for the new. I would have purchased a hat or two if they were $1 each, but other than that, I'm fine waiting for one to drop or simply crafting them.

Honestly, this shit is all just gravy.

The game is still super-fun and pretty well balanced at it's core. You can tweak your play-style with items and I find the whole hat-mania to be absolutely hilarious. The vanilla items are just as good if not better than the new ones, so what's the problem?

TF2 is imo, the funnest, most unique and humorous game ever made.

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB} said:
Honestly, this shit is all just gravy.

The game is still super-fun and pretty well balanced at it's core. You can tweak your play-style with items and I find the whole hat-mania to be absolutely hilarious. The vanilla items are just as good if not better than the new ones, so what's the problem?

TF2 is imo, the funnest, most unique and humorous game ever made.

Agreed, love this game so much, you don't like the extra shit, go to a vanilla server.

geez why are ppl crying?
if Valve wants to make money off of gamers willing to pay for cosmetic items, fine with me

this only is a problem if they start selling maps and items that give an actual value but they clearly stated they wont do that

I cannot believe people can complain about this. It does not change the gameplay.

Idling just became really, really profitable. I'm guessing idling will increase at least 3x in the next few weeks. Once more of the set items make it onto the market Valve will have to adjust it's pricing accordingly. It's supply/demand.

Idle 4 Profit!

I could care less. TF 2 died to me as soon as they added the RPG elements.

There is something to be said for "If you don't like it don't buy it." The game's still pretty fun, even though I'm fairly terrible at it.

Back