Tesla Model S Hits 300,000 Miles in Two Years, Saving $60,000 on Fuel Costs

On the flip side though, if you were prepared and had a full tank of gas before the flood, and then got caught in the quickly rising water, which vehicle would have a better chance of getting you out of the flooded area and away to a place that might have gas and electricity available? I have seen regular vehicles drive through water 6-12 inches above the floor boards with no problems, would the Tesla batteries be safe in those conditions?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/model-s-floats_us_57693e6fe4b0fbbc8beba142

But many of those people in Texas would have to drive through water above the bottom of the vehicle to get anywhere, would a Tesla be safe to drive in deep water?

Granted that is my personal vehicle, along with the 85 Jeep Cherokee I still have going that I drive to work each day. At work we have many F150s that travel all across the state each day and rack up 300k-400k miles in three to four years and we usually get rid of them at the time of first major maintenance such as transmission failure. Most of them last the full miles with only regular tires and oil type maintenance on them. The only ones in the past that would wear out more quickly were the ones dedicated to routes that took them into the active coal mines, the grit from those areas would kill just about anything at 150k miles. All of our sample pickup vehicles travel a mix if highway and gravel roads, so they probably see more severe conditions than the Teslas mentions in the article.
You and those around you must be sooooo lucky to have such reliable cars.. wow

Tesloop is a inter-city service:

http://www.tesloop.com/pricing

With modern engines and 8+ speed transmissions, the typical sedan can easily go 35 mpg or more on pure highway driving.
IN good traffic, sure. Have you driven the highways between SD and LA (assuming they're making that long commute and not commutes on surface streets)? I've done it a few times, and the traffic sucks balls in the middle of the day. During rush hour it's even worse. And luxury cars do NOT typically get 35mpg on the highway. I've got a Lexus ES and it tops out at 27...maybe 28. A large Mercedes or BMW is not typically doing that.

i'm not speculating bro, it's in the freaking article. READ IT!!!! they spent that entirely on repairs and maintenance.

Electricity could fall under maintenance. (I was actually corrected earlier, they used free supercharging for electricity) If they did have to include it in the cost big deal - they still saved at least $60,000. Still a hell of a lot better than old fashioned gas and it'll have payed for itself by the third year.

TBH dont need to read the article as anyone who knows/drives/owns an EV has already realized how inferior ICE automobiles are.

Last edited:
Didn't read the article did you? Tesla has these things called Super Chargers. They're free to use and they used them.

Nope, didnt read it. Didn't have to.

In either case it's good to show people how to break cost per mile down for EVs. Best way to compare savings between gas and electric vehicles based on fuel/energy consumption.

Electricity could fall under maintenance. (I was actually corrected earlier, they used free supercharging for electricity) If they did have to include it in the cost big deal - they still saved at least $60,000. Still a hell of a lot better than old fashioned gas and it'll have payed for itself by the third year.

TBH dont need to read the article as anyone who knows/drives/owns an EV has already realized how inferior ICE automobiles are.

Not really, but math is very elusive to the fanboi.

Nope, didnt read it. Didn't have to.

In either case it's good to show people how to break cost per mile down for EVs. Best way to compare savings between gas and electric vehicles based on fuel/energy consumption.
But not in this case, because they're using a Supercharger. And I'll add that if you live in an area with a lot of super chargers, you may not charge at home that often. For me, there aren't many, but if I wasn't in a condo, Electricity is cheap. For me it's free from 8pm to 6AM. I don't know if I could get away with using that in a house though. In here, I can shut the AC off all day and the place rarely gets to 78 (currently 75 inside and 97 outside), but even if I couldn't, TX has great electric rates thanks in part to deregulated energy (but it wasn't super expensive before that either...I've got bills from 20 years ago to compare)

If I was in L.A. I'd seriously consider a Tesla. I think they also get to ride in the carpool lane, so that's another bonus.

Is this topic real? People comparing a 100k sedan with a 50k one??????

You compare a 100k ICE to an electric 100k one. Jeez christ, the lack of logic is killing me.

Well, I don't have an issue, if that is what they were saying. A $100k EV could very well be better than a $100k ICE in any number of metrics.

Instead, a lot of people are stretching that, and implying "Because a $100k EV is less expensive to operate than a $100k ICE, therefore EV's in general are better than ICE" -- which isn't a sound logical conclusion.

I don't really get the debate here. Seems tesla fanbois are hellbent on proving their superiority to the workd, even when no one cares.
Quasi-Social Justice Warriors have all been told by their teachers and professors that electric cars and autonomous cars are the future and will revolutionize our lives. All the disadvantages are conveniently ignored. They all believe superior people can see the emperors new clothes...

The kicker is any of the EV's with batteries actually have a worse effect on the environment due to the mining of ores for batteries and the coal fired electricity plants. Not to mention the disposal of said toxic battery once its usefulness has been reached. If people were concerned about the environment they'd be driving PZEV's (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) getting 35-40 mpg (e.g. Fiestas, Honda Fit, etc.). Anything else comes down to preference, driving habits, and cost/benefit to you.

Quasi-Social Justice Warriors have all been told by their teachers and professors that electric cars and autonomous cars are the future and will revolutionize our lives. All the disadvantages are conveniently ignored. They all believe superior people can see the emperors new clothes...

I knew we could do it, SJWs mentioned in a car thread. Well done everyone.

The $11K doesn't include electricity. That was $6,900 scheduled maintenance and $3500 to replace the headlights. Electricity is free on their planet.

Twelve days in the shop, new motor, new battery pack...I would have been close to leaving it a burning heap on the side of the road having to miss that much time from work. Fortunately, I doubt my local credit union will spot me a loan for a $100K car, so all good.

Tesla gives you a loaner when your car is in for repairs, so you would not have missed 12 days of work.

Hahahahahahaha, know what I did a couple months ago? Drove from las vegas to lake havasu, drove around for 2 hours looking for trailer plug, then towed my friends boat for 6 hours to Long beach, CA. All of that for maybe 20 minutes at gas stations.

Go ahead and show me an electric vehicle that can do that. Hell, show me an electric vehicle that I can take a weekend trip somewhere without having to plan the trip around where to charge the vehicle instead of planning a trip I want to take.

Most expensive gas in the USA is Pennsylvania (believe it or not) It even beats Hawaii as we have the highest gas tax in the USA. For the last two years, the most it's been is $2.75/gallon

This is why when I drive from NJ to OH I fill up at the borders. I can just make it across PA with fumes in my tank. It used to be an even bigger deal before they jacked up our gas tax in NJ last year.

Your math is wrong, it assumes perfect efficiency.

example: If you have a 100kwh battery, it takes more than 100kwh's to charge it...

Yawn

If you want to be truly pedantic about it fine. Efficiency of charging a battery is about 85-95%. We'll take 90 as the number. Taking the total numbers i came up with in my previous post the changes are:

12 cents/kWh: $10,800 * 1.1 = 11,880

Wow that totally breaks my argument (no it doesn't as it's still basically a $60k savings in gas)

0.08 cents/kWh: 7,200 * 1.1 = 7920

Again doesn't change my argument one bit. Before you waste any more air (electricity in this case), think before you make idiotic arguments

holy shit those numbers are horrible.
You just validated the math in my eyes.
Plus is not like big sedans are cheap, model S might be 90k or whatever, but a big ICE sedan climbs very high real fast, and no doesn't have to be a Rolls.

If I had big sedan money, Model S is a a no brainer.

Everyone has big sedan money, cause you can get them for $35k. Obviously, they can go much higher in price, doesn't mean you have to get those higher priced models. A Toyota Avalon starts at $33,500 and fully loaded is $41k.

Not for local driving, you're not going to get anything above 18mpg.

This is a local carpool service, lots of stop and go, and no babying the gas pedal. and lots of passenger weight. And it doesn't sound like they wanted to be a Prius carpool service, considering their price model.

I'm light on the throttle, and my lexus v6 can't even top 19mpg. But I drive all local roads.

Here's something about statements with nothing to back them up. Everyone can say well...anything.

"My Lexus LFA with me flooring it all the time from every red light, in city traffic gets 50 mpg."

You can look at just price for mile for energy, or price per mile for maintenance, but either of those only tell part of the story. You need to look at total cost of ownership: energy, maintenance, insurance, cost of the vehicle, incentives, everything. EV's are getting closer but I think ICE still wins out there.

I think the problems for Teslas (not EVs) is their lack of facilities around the US. I'm from Idaho. If I bought a Tesla and it broke down (they all break in some fashion), I have to take the car 3 1/2 hours away (220 miles). Seriously, that's the closest Tesla service center. Also because there are so few service centers, they're always booked solid for at a minimum of a week.

Wait until more Model 3 hit the roads. Those few service centers are going to be super crowded. They're already crowded as is, it'll just get worse. As more Teslas hit the road, certain aspects of Tesla's service will be changed for the worst. To the customer that is. Tesla Rangers $100 fee has long since changed. Free charging isn't available for new cars. The warranty has gotten worse for new cars. Next to go will be Tesla's tax break. Expect zero tax break by mid to late 2018.

Yawn

If you want to be truly pedantic about it fine. Efficiency of charging a battery is about 85-95%. We'll take 90 as the number. Taking the total numbers i came up with in my previous post the changes are:

12 cents/kWh: $10,800 * 1.1 = 11,880

Wow that totally breaks my argument (no it doesn't as it's still basically a $60k savings in gas)

0.08 cents/kWh: 7,200 * 1.1 = 7920

Again doesn't change my argument one bit. Before you waste any more air (electricity in this case), think before you make idiotic arguments

My only argument is your math is shitty, and it was.

85% is more realistic, so your calculations were 15% off... 15% is pretty awful, not sure how you made it through high school.

Floating away is not necessarily ideal. But a short stint being submerged will shutdown a gas engine. Electric motors assuming they have some resistance to water intrusion don't need 02 to run. So they can't be smothered. It's unavoidable for Engines. Fully submerged both systems would get water intrusion eventually and mess everything up. A guy in a hybrid commented just a few weeks ago his hybrid made it through the flooded underpass while another car next to him stalled and got stuck. the motors in the hybrid would keep the car moving and help purge the engine of water if he got through which is probably why he made it.

of course if you float, the wheels come off the ground and you don't plow through shit. I would really want my $100,000 car floating like an aimless boat in a flooded underpass next to other cars or concrete walls.

^ the water would have to completely cover the grill of my car before it would stop lol (not that I am going to try)... Subaru places their air intake right above the radiator... FTL? ahaha j/k

as for that hybrid, he will start having issues as if you submerge enough of the car, water WILL get in through the trunk vents

My only argument is your math is shitty, and it was.

85% is more realistic, so your calculations were 15% off... 15% is pretty awful, not sure how you made it through high school.

And all i hear is "Whine... why are things changing mommy? Whine"

You were making an argument that my argument regarding savings would be invalidated with your idiocy. It wasn't. You're using a Straw Man style of arguing which is very ineffective to those who live in a logical reality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I'm pretty sure no matter what car you have, unless it's an offroad with snorkel, your pretty F'd if it gets flooded.

Rather you can drive off or not doesn't have so much to do with ICE vs EV, it has a lot more to do with sheer dumb luck.

And all i hear is "Whine... why are things changing mommy? Whine"

You were making an argument that my argument regarding savings would be invalidated with your idiocy. It wasn't. You're using a Straw Man style of arguing which is very ineffective to those who live in a logical reality. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I think you need to figure out what constitutes an argument before tossing out logical fallacies.

You seem pretty spry at googling :)

Pretty sure gas in CA is generally a lot more than $3.00/gallon and given that they're driving people in a Model S, I'd assume they were going to buy another luxury car. Maybe a Mercedes, BMW or Audi Sedan. ON the cheap end those are probably at least 60 grand and it's pretty easy to get over 6 figures. Looking at the A7, S class and e Class the city MPG is rated not much over 13mpg and we all know those ratings are generally better than the cars actually get...so if they're fudging the numbers, it's not by much.

And electricity here is .41/kWh soooo....

That's way WAY over the average in CA. CA's avg $0.12/khw. Certainly not as cheap as TX, but less than 1/3 what you're paying.

Ummmmm no, unless you like living in the dark with no lights, or tv, or maybe AC...

image.jpg

I was off, because I didn't realize that the data was 6 years old, but even using the summer averages it's way less than that.

41786.gif

Or more broadly for CA it's just under .19/kwh https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state/

Not sure why yours is so much higher. .41/kwh is insanely expensive.

That only looks at tier 1 rates. No one is able to stay under tier 1 unless they only use electricity for the bare necessities. PG&E tier 2 is .28/kwh, and tier 3 is .40/kwh. Any electric car charging will be in tier 2 or 3. Tier 2 starts at 200-300 kwh, tier 3 starts at 800-1200 kwh, depending on area and rate plan.

SDG&E moved to a two tier ass raping. 2nd tier(.41kwh) starts after 400kwh

That only looks at tier 1 rates. No one is able to stay under tier 1 unless they only use electricity for the bare necessities. PG&E tier 2 is .28/kwh, and tier 3 is .40/kwh. Any electric car charging will be in tier 2 or 3. Tier 2 starts at 200-300 kwh, tier 3 starts at 800-1200 kwh, depending on area and rate plan.
I'll take your word for it. I see articles about increasing rates earlier this year, but I didn't find anything about when they kick in. If T2 is really 300kwh, that's insane. Even t3 seems low, but I will say that if you're in an apt or a 1500sq ft house, you may be able to do t3 (esp if it's 1000 kwh or higher). I guess if you've got a big house, you've got a lot of incentive to go solar (esp in So. Cal where it's sunny most of the time).

Solar also got butt fucked by the PoCos. TOU rates and worse NEM agreements. :mad:

I predict a small "100mile" portable battery extender, like a tiny Uhaul 2 wheeler. If you are traveling across country, you can just pull in to a fueling station and swop out the pack. 2-3 minutes and your off to another 100 miles. Make it universal, to plug into any electric or plug-able vehicle.

I so eagerly await all the new super charger stations and big wonderful parking lots with chargers in them. High voltage power lines everywhere! Progress!

That's about $17,000 in electricity where I am (this will be in addition to my regular usage throwing me into the next tier). And 300K miles at 36 mpg at $3/gal is $25K, bringing the electric to a $8K win, except for the crap refueling speed. It certainly isn't a $60K-90K savings, jiminey crickets.

That's about $17,000 in electricity where I am (this will be in addition to my regular usage throwing me into the next tier). And 300K miles at 36 mpg at $3/gal is $25K, bringing the electric to a $8K win, except for the crap refueling speed. It certainly isn't a $60K-90K savings, jiminey crickets.
The article lumps fuel and estimated maintenance / repair costs into that $60,000 figure. Since we all know electric vehicles don't require basic maintenance and they got all their recharges for free it makes sense. /s

The title is pure clickbait, no way in hell they saved $60,000 in fuel costs. Of course once you read their "math" it gets worse. The idea of keeping a luxury sedan past 100,000 miles (in a business setting) is ludicrous - given that the vast majority of those 300,000 miles are freeway miles (basic maths, they're driving ~410 miles per day in that tesla) only someone truly "special" would keep a luxury sedan being driven that often (and for business to boot) outside of warranty. Why do you think there are so many 2-3 year old bmw / porsche / audi cars with ~60,000 miles available? (Pro-tip: It's not because service is infrequent and affordable.) When the dealer gives you a loaner cayman for a simple oil change (gotta love dry sump) you KNOW it's time to sell.

I'd like to see some "real" math - cost of ownership (fuel + consumables + depreciation after sale) of a panamera driven to 100,000 miles vs their tesla.

Back