Tesla Model S Hits 300,000 Miles in Two Years, Saving $60,000 on Fuel Costs

I'll take your word for it. I see articles about increasing rates earlier this year, but I didn't find anything about when they kick in. If T2 is really 300kwh, that's insane. Even t3 seems low, but I will say that if you're in an apt or a 1500sq ft house, you may be able to do t3 (esp if it's 1000 kwh or higher). I guess if you've got a big house, you've got a lot of incentive to go solar (esp in So. Cal where it's sunny most of the time).

According to PG&E, baseline (end of tier 1) is 50% of the average usage for a household.

If you want to do solar, PG&E charges you the equivalent of 25-50% of your monthly rate to remain on their network, plus capital costs for special metering equipment and so on. It's all a sham unless you're an almost tier 3 or above user, or opt for standalone with backup batteries.

According to PG&E, baseline (end of tier 1) is 50% of the average usage for a household.

If you want to do solar, PG&E charges you the equivalent of 25-50% of your monthly rate to remain on their network, plus capital costs for special metering equipment and so on. It's all a sham unless you're an almost tier 3 or above user, or opt for standalone with backup batteries.
Sounds like CA needs to either change the law or deregulate and increase competition. The latter works well in TX, but we have lots of natural gas and 10% of our power comes from Wind. The only down side is that there are so many plans that it can be confusing and for the best rates you do have to sign a 1 year contract, but I'm fine with that. My bill last month was 22 bucks and I run the AC at 67 over night (except from 3am to 6am when I go to 65)...then 78 during the day (which it rarely reaches). Why? Electricity is free from 8PM to 6AM. That won't work for everyone, but it works for me. If you use much power during the day, it's probably better to go with a different plan.

Sounds like CA needs to either change the law or deregulate and increase competition. The latter works well in TX, but we have lots of natural gas and 10% of our power comes from Wind. The only down side is that there are so many plans that it can be confusing and for the best rates you do have to sign a 1 year contract, but I'm fine with that. My bill last month was 22 bucks and I run the AC at 67 over night (except from 3am to 6am when I go to 65)...then 78 during the day (which it rarely reaches). Why? Electricity is free from 8PM to 6AM. That won't work for everyone, but it works for me. If you use much power during the day, it's probably better to go with a different plan.

PG&E has bought their way into every politician's pockets over here so I don't see much chance of that happening.

Back