Tekken 8

v101.04en.png

I think I'm already prepared to say I prefer Tekken 8 to Street Fighter 6. At least as far as actually playing the core online game (vs. single-player stuff) goes. I feel like I'm winning the matches I should, losing the matches I should, and playing super close in the matches I should. When I lose, I get it. I'm disappointed, but I don't feel like I got robbed by dumb game mechanics or "unga bunga" gone wild. Dare I say I've even had a total blast in most close matches that I lost. I've even enjoyed the times when I've been clobbered by players that are full-on elite level. I've managed to take rounds (and even games) off a few just using my old tried and true tactics. It's fun. With Street Fighter 6 I feel overwhelmed by mechanics that favor going apeshit. In Tekken 8, I'm not getting that at all.

Turns out I was incorrect-----Frosty Faustings is a high profile event. But, it was only hosted on Tampa Never Sleep's channel. FF isn't actually in Tampa.

However! Tampa Never Sleeps has their own tournament. and they posted the top 8 from the "Pools" matches, today:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4FUw1pCDI

On a side note: Twitch now has a multicast feature, for people to send the same stream in different bitrates/codecs/resolutions, to give their audience more options. I think its early days for the features, but Nvidia has partnered with OBS to support it.

In result, I hope this also means OBS will expand the options for doing a local recording, while also streaming. It would be really great if these fighting game tournaments could start doing 1440p or 4K local recordings, while also serving up lower quality streams. So that when they post on youtube, its a high res/higher bitrate local copy. Rather than stream quality, directly downloaded VOD from Twitch.

Tampa Never Sleeps Tekken 8 #2

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8iWI6WCHeo

The first one had some real good stuff. Check it if you missed it!

^ That guy's King is great. I love that King players are able to grab a lot in T8. Breaks are no longer free, and those grabs open so many other things up.

^ That guy's King is great. I love that King players are able to grab a lot in T8. Breaks are no longer free, and those grabs open so many other things up.
King seems to be really strong, this early in T8's life.

Personally, I think the damage for most of his grabs is probably too high Vs. how tough it is to cancel a grab. Especially his multi-part grabs. And some of them don't seem to be cancelable. Such as when you are airborne and he grabs you.

King seems to be really strong, this early in T8's life.

Personally, I think the damage for most of his grabs is probably too high Vs. how tough it is to cancel a grab. Especially his multi-part grabs. And some of them don't seem to be cancelable. Such as when you are airborne and he grabs you.

From what I've read you can't break air grabs, crouch grabs, or the RKO. If those land, you're getting tossed. With the others, I guess there are differing windows of how many frames you have to break them depending on whether they're a counter, a punish, etc. As a counter the window for grab breaks is so small that they're basically gonna happen. I guess there is one unintended thing they're planning to remove, though. Chain grabs are completely unbreakable when used as a punish right now. That doesn't happen too often (they all have a delayed startup from a crouch dash, sidestep, or the hop), but if someone whiffs something big then a death cradle is guaranteed to take off 1/2 their life. Seems that was unintentional and it'll get patched out.

The advice given in this vid applies to way more than just Tekken or videogames.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye0nfViDAZ8

Maximilian Dood has been talking for years about needing to learn from losing and simply putting time/reps/grind. Here's some recent content:

In this one he also adds some perspective about aging and still trying to play games

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMn6c9BLpCc

This one is a reaction to a really good video from IGN. But, Max also spends a lot of time adding his own thoughts about the subjects at hand. While also generally praising the IGN video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsmaDNsOrf8

Tekken is an interesting case because it's a mile deep and a mile wide. There are super basic strategies that work really well, but there's so much more there if you want there to be. Yet once you see Tekken at the highest levels, it's (usually) back to being super basic again. It's unlike most other fighting games in that regard. There's so much there, but it's also kinda optional. You don't really see that with the 2D titles.
With T8, my strategies have mostly involved not letting people get the weird stuff going. I don't have to know how to block/counter everything if there are minimal opportunities for them to even try. When it does happen, I do my best to look for patterns and obvious opportunities to escape/counter. My chances of being an elite player probably disappeared 20 years ago, so I'm just playing to have fun now. Any grinding I'm doing involves playing rando quick matches and trying to improve from match to match.

I've been playing Alisa for the first time for the last week. She's actually a lot of fun to play and very fundamental, I never considered her because on the surface she doesn't seem like a Tekken fighter and appeals to the anime/waifu crowd. She seems to always have the opponent confused, which for match-ups against Hwoarang, Xiayu, Yoshi, etc you feel like you're on a level playing field in the psychological game, it's refreshing.

Last edited:
Alisa's wild. Her moves come from all sorts of crazy angles, including a lot of moves from the air. Definitely a "knowledge check" character if you give her any space. Whenever I play against her, you'd better believe I'm trying to stay close and not give her any space to start flying around with her weird high/low stuff. King's new armored flying front kick move seems to be useful against her.

Making my way through this. The fight between Victor (Hornzisbadgg) and Asuka (KingRey Jr) is good. KingRey has some pretty interesting style with Asuka. With an incredible combo extension at 18:10. And another similar moment, later in the fight.
Definitely some great combo and move knowledge, in this event. KingRey's Asuka impresses even more. And its really apparent in his fighting style, that Asuka's heat activation has better range than some other characters.

Dastry's Xiaoyu also has some neat extensions going on. And overall, solid knowledge of Xiaoyu's incredibly varied moveset.

Granted, I didn't put that much time into the last few, but it seems like they weakened King's kick counter at some point. I remember being able to snuff out Hwoarang's kick mashing mid-string. That doesn't seem to work in 8 at all. I think they added some additional startup frames or something. It works in those slower/deliberate strings like Jin's, but Hwoarang can seemingly kick with wild abandon if King doesn't snag that first kick in a sequence. On the other hand, it seems like my b+3 can just armor through almost any high/mid string immediately...which is way less skillful and kinda lame by comparison.

I love that even with Jesandy not playing every event (he seems to win every event he plays in) there are still other King players doing well. I even saw Lil Majin pop up in a big event last week. Seems like he's been online-only for the last couple years.

Pluggers are getting so annoying, Bandai-Namco has to address this. Over the last few days I've been plugged on about 20 times. I have noticed it a lot more playing Alisa than playing Reina. I think I was plugged 3 times the entire 80 hours I played Reina. Literally been plugged on like 20 times as Alisa and only have played her about 40 hours, just got into the Ruler Ranks last night and its getting more and more common the higher I get. Also the higher you get the less likely you are to get a BO3. The devs should incentivize Bo3 by awarding more points for the complete set or something. To address the pluggers I hope they give them temporary bans.

Last edited:
I've only been playing quick matches, so it's super rare that anyone disconnects. It does happen, but when people don't have imaginary points on the line they rarely care.

My goal was to get a decent rank then play quick matches while I learn Alisa fully, since quick match opponents are typically people around your same rank, but of course I get addicted to ranked. I have like 600 ranked matches so far across my fighters, probably more.

No clue how many matches I've played, but it's definitely a bunch. I unlocked something for getting 500 wins with King, lol.
Player skill seems to be all over the place. Some of the best players I've gone against seem to be (like me) just playing quick matches with the lowest rank possible. I've bodied most players under 150,000 points although I did run into a Yoshi that wouldn't let me breathe for 6 straight rounds that had a rando 25,000 points. Not sure if King just struggles with them or if I do, but Steve and Bryan have given me the most trouble overall. Leo annoys me the most, but I've generally faired well against him. Ling is the most fun to play because unbreakable crouch throws eat her alive.

I saw a Yoshi main on Reddit yesterday complaining about the Yoshi mirror match. I think just about everyone struggles against him. 2 days ago I ran into 5 Yoshi players in 6 games, I lost pretty much all of the rounds, I went on tilt and ended up getting demoted down to red ranks. Then yesterday I played for about 4 hours and was doing pretty good until about 2 hours in I ran into Yoshi players back to back, it went downhill from there and got demoted further (still red ranks).

Personally I'm finding Yoshi, Jun, Jin and to a lesser extent King and Dragunov the hardest matchups. I do think I'm getting better at the Jin matchup though, I've seen more success in the past few days, it's just he's so aggressive now, that 7 years of Tekken 7 muscle memory always thinks he's going to play ultra conservative, but he's the complete opposite in Tekken 8. I disagree with a lot of players that Jin is honest in Tekken 8, he's the least honest I've ever seen him. Another thing that is frustrating is when I get completely smashed by a Jin who is using the button assists lol, puts me on tilt everytime.

BTW anyone know when that patch is coming?

I generally don't give Jin any room to breathe and I haven't fought that many. Devil Jin tends to throw me off for the first round/match, but I feel like I can mostly figure out his tricks if they don't bail after one match. He and Alisa are like the Blanka of Tekken. Jun is a total bitch, although I find people using her love using that low multi-sweep that I can block and hop-kick for huge damage. Feels like her damage against the wall is excessive, though. Her, Bryan, Yoshi, Steve, and Dragunov seem to ignore damage scaling against the wall. With King, his combos scale waaaay down off walls, but he has a lot of wall-specific moves and setups.

I'd assume the patch is probably at least a month out. They showed Eddie's character portrait, but no actual game footage. Once some footage of him starts showing up is when the patch will likely be imminent.

I generally don't give Jin any room to breathe and I haven't fought that many. Devil Jin tends to throw me off for the first round/match, but I feel like I can mostly figure out his tricks if they don't bail after one match. He and Alisa are like the Blanka of Tekken. Jun is a total bitch, although I find people using her love using that low multi-sweep that I can block and hop-kick for huge damage. Feels like her damage against the wall is excessive, though. Her, Bryan, Yoshi, Steve, and Dragunov seem to ignore damage scaling against the wall. With King, his combos scale waaaay down off walls, but he has a lot of wall-specific moves and setups.

I'd assume the patch is probably at least a month out. They showed Eddie's character portrait, but no actual game footage. Once some footage of him starts showing up is when the patch will likely be imminent.
They demonstrated several moves with Eddie, for like 15 minutes.

The worst Devil Jin's to fight, are the ones whom use his laser beams a whole lot.

At this stage, my controversial change would be to make the generic single hit heat engage no longer work to extend a juggle. So basically, if they do that heat engager while an opponent is in a launched/juggle state, it comes out as simply the passive heat engage, with no attack.

Because it can be used to extend juggles, people can very cheaply get a juggle which spans a large distance. On the smaller stages, they can take you all the way to a wall, using basic juggle tactics, plus that heat engager. So, usually repeat a jab 2 or 3 times, follow up with the other hand, do some kind of kick, heat engage, repeat jabs, you are often now near a wall. And then maybe get a wall blast----which then allows them to juggle you again----all the way back across the arena, etc. And you can't do anything about it.

If it couldn't be used to extend juggles, it would force people to dig deeper into movesets, to figure out how to actually construct complex combos and have a long juggle.

I think it is the single biggest problem with the gameplay, by a mile.

Does using a heat engager during a combo give you another tornado or something? I don't see how it would extend a combo otherwise. I haven't done this myself, so I'm genuinely curious.

I've only been playing King, but I don't really even use his heat engager as a combo tool very often. His heat meter is basically a mixup tool with grabs in nearly every scenario...even if they block. When I use it, that's what I have in mind. I'd rather have that mixup in my pocket instead of another couple hits that are heavily scaled. When dealing with other people, I guess my major gripe is how high-priority heat bursts are. They're like an instant mega-reversal that technically work twice via a single button. Rage isn't as prevalent in T8 (they're mostly already dead), but some of those heat bursts are strong as hell. Especially the ones that seem to beat other heat bursts no matter who was first/last.

Does using a heat engager during a combo give you another tornado or something? I don't see how it would extend a combo otherwise. I haven't done this myself, so I'm genuinely curious.
Here's an example. People do this all the time. Its pretty much a standard tactic. Basic combo, extend with generic heat engager, basic combo.

View: https://youtu.be/GZI3fXZWeRE?si=AEvm-LiD9q2gTTch&t=12001

And again they use it, to keep you pinned. It essentially resets your character, so that you can do more moves. If your opponent is in a juggle state, it juggles them more. And if the timing isn't exactly right to keep the juggle statie, you have reset yourself to keep adding cheap pressure. Rather than actually needing to know a deep combo string.

View: https://youtu.be/GZI3fXZWeRE?si=o1A80fVQX8vsBccj&t=12699

This one, they actually do a nice combo-----and are also able to extend that, for even mooooore, which allows then to carry to the wall. And then they get some wall smash damage, as well...
I think this needs to be fundamentally changed, so its not possible. People should only be carrying a juggle most of the way across a stage, if they really know some deep strings with their character.

View: https://youtu.be/GZI3fXZWeRE?si=rAIzwqNxWGuaJwGr&t=12736

Last edited:
Ok I see what you mean, especially after that wall blast, the 1st and 3rd video just looks like straight up abuse of an exploit. Personally I can't recall if I encountered anyone who does this, but I will pay more attention going forward, I bet it happens more than I think.

I don't think I will incorporate it into my strategy just so I don't build the muscle memory of doing bullshit, unless Bandai Namco says it's intended.

I definitely get it, but it seems like it's more of an issue with damage scaling than anything else. It's like the scaling seems to be working fine and then when they hit the wall - BAM, it goes back to normal.

https://www.tekken-official.jp/tekken_news/240228.php

▼ Version
Ver.1.02.01

▼ Date and Time of Update
[PST] February 28th (Wednesday) 18:00 approx
[UTC] February 29th (Thursday) 2:00 approx
[JST] February 29th (Thursday) 11:00 approx

▼ Server Maintenance Schedule
[PST] February 28th (Wednesday) 17:30 - 24:00
[UTC] February 29th (Thursday) 1:30 - 8:00
[JST] February 29th (Thursday) 10:30 - 17:00* During server maintenance, all online content will not be accessible.

▼ Scope of Update
The application of the update data will result in the following impact on each mode and feature.

• ・「DOWNLOADED REPLAYS」「MY REPLAY & TIPS」
    Replay data from before the update will be unavailable for playback.
  • ・「ONLINE REPLAY」
    Replay data from before the update will be deleted.
  • ・「SUPER GHOST BATTLE」「GHOST MATCH」
    Character behavior and move properties will reflect that of the post-update state.

▼ Update Contents

• ・In-game collaboration “UT×TEKKEN”
  • ・New feature "TEKKEN SHOP" will be implemented.
  • ・Measures against players discovered cheating in RANKED MATCH
  • ・Functional improvements.
  • ・Bug fixes.
  • ・Behavior/properties of moves will be adjusted for some characters.

Details as follows:

• ・In-game collaboration “UT×TEKKEN”
    • - Customization items with the same design as the UT collaboration T-shirts commemorating the 30th anniversary of TEKKEN, sold at UNIQLO stores, will be available for free in the TEKKEN SHOP. These items include customization items for playable characters (2 types) and avatar customization items (1 type).
  • ・New feature "TEKKEN SHOP" will be implemented.
    • - In the TEKKEN SHOP, you can obtain various customization items such as popular legacy costumes for playable characters and avatar skins for specific characters. We plan to add new categories and items every month.
    • - Various items in the TEKKEN SHOP include both free and paid items. Paid items can be obtained by spending "TEKKEN COINS" purchased in each platform's store.
  • ・Measures against players discovered cheating in RANKED MATCH
    • - High ranking players who were reported multiple times and were found to have cheated were removed from the LEADERBOARD, and their ranks were reset to BEGINNER.
  • ・Functional improvements.
    • - In TEKKEN FIGHT LOUNGE, the matchmaking waiting state now continues after finishing a match in Match Anywhere without needing to select it again.
    • - In TEKKEN FIGHT LOUNGE, My Profile can be selected when accessing the customization shop's staff or terminal.
    • - Status of members in a GROUP in PLAYER MATCH is now displayed.
    • - Maximum number of consecutive wins displayed increased from 99 to 999.
  • ・Bug fixes.
    • - Fixed an issue in which some titles wouldn’t unlock via ARCADE QUEST progression. *affected players can obtain those titles automatically next time they enter ARCADE QUEST.
    • - In TEKKEN BALL, fixed an issue where Panda and Leroy couldn’t do a long back dash.
    • - Fixed an issue where in certain instances a color unavailable in Character Customization was selectable when saved in Saved Colors.
    • - During an online match, selecting Rematch and then the opponent declining would sometimes cause the game to become unresponsive for a certain amount of time, however this issue has been fixed.
  • ・Behavior/properties of moves will be adjusted for some characters.
v1.02.01en_1.png

v1.02.01en_2.png

Last edited:
Today I learned that Jun's reversal stops grabs. She snags your arms almost like you were punching her. I guess they full-on removed the "chicken" reversal counter in Tekken 8, too. This is wack.

Today I learned that Jun's reversal stops grabs. She snags your arms almost like you were punching her. I guess they full-on removed the "chicken" reversal counter in Tekken 8, too. This is wack.
I feel like many of the things which youtube videos have been pointed out as "broken"-----don't seem to matter much. Maybe its too early, but, its not like tournaments are being dominated by Jun or Xiaouyu, etc.

Additionally, I think on the face of it, its good that characters have some unique abilities. Maybe those abilities will prove too effective, eventually. We will see!

At this point, it seems that all characters are good and in the hands of a skilled player, can win.

I feel like many of the things which youtube videos have been pointed out as "broken"-----don't seem to matter much. Maybe its too early, but, its not like tournaments are being dominated by Jun or Xiaouyu, etc.

Additionally, I think on the face of it, its good that characters have some unique abilities. Maybe those abilities will prove too effective, eventually. We will see!

At this point, it seems that all characters are good and in the hands of a skilled player, can win.

I don't think it's unbalanced or broken, I just think it's lame. Throws were the designed hard counter to people who were attack reversal happy. Worst case, you could chicken them to keep them honest, too. It's a style of play I strongly dislike and it doesn't seem like there's a designed way to stop it in T8. It's a scenario where I'm just trying to make her guess A or B wrong or hope her timing is bad. I've never been a fan of mechanics that involve players mistiming things to balance them.

Back