Tekken 8

One more week. I really like Azucena, but the other new characters (Reina and Victor) feel so phoned in. Hopefully the rest of the roster has some personality to their fighting styles. If nothing else, T7's new characters had personality in spades. At least other than Shaheen, who is generic AF.

One more week. I really like Azucena, but the other new characters (Reina and Victor) feel so phoned in. Hopefully the rest of the roster has some personality to their fighting styles. If nothing else, T7's new characters had personality in spades. At least other than Shaheen, who is generic AF.
I think Reina might be great to actually play. A fresh spin on Mishima style.

Several medium-dives into characters. Looks like Xiaoyu will be a lot easier to play for someone whom isn't REALLY knowledgeable. And for people whom are, she's going to be fantastic. As they made her stances much more fluid, with a lot more transitions to get into the stances.

In the build used for this stream, some of the characters still don't have all of their moves in place (based on what was shown in their official intro trailers). I guess those move are either being tweaked, or they may not make it into the game?

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/x88i64-z-Do?si=0jqTXOQhUKb8VOra

**Victor gets a deep dive and I gotta disagree again. He doesn't seem "phoned in" at all. He seems pretty technical. but, fun with 3 stances, good options to cover distance, move cancels, and some good lows which track really well and can act as sort of fakeouts for the oponent. As much of Victor's style looks like he's simply fighting in straight lines. But, that can be a setup. Also some interesting buffs on heat. I may actually try playing this character.

Reina also has stances. Looks like for Tekken 8, they have given many characters "stances". And they have much more useful access to the stances, than in past Tekkens.

My general impression about Tekken 8 so far, is that they tried to make each character as fun and full of options as possible. And similar to Tekken 7, probably more so: Any character will be viable when in good hands. Tier lists probably won't matter much.

***At 1 hour and 28 minutes, Cuddle-Core and Super Akouma do an exhibition match. Cool match and interesting to see these high level players be unfamiliar with all of the moves and mechanics in T8.

Last edited:
Several medium-dives into characters. Looks like Xiaoyu will be a lot easier to play for someone whom isn't REALLY knowledgeable. And for people whom are, she's going to be fantastic. As they made her stances much more fluid, with a lot more transitions to get into the stances.

In the build used for this stream, some of the characters still don't have all of their moves in place (based on what was shown in their official intro trailers). I guess those move are either being tweaked, or they may not make it into the game?

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/x88i64-z-Do?si=0jqTXOQhUKb8VOra

**Victor gets a deep dive and I gotta disagree again. He doesn't seem "phoned in" at all. He seems pretty technical, but, fun with 3 stances, good options to cover distance, move cancels, and some good lows which track really well and can act as sort of fakeouts for the oponent. As much of Victor's style looks like he's simply fighting in straight lines. But, that can be a setup. Also some interesting buffs on heat. I may actually try playing this character.

Reina also has stances. Looks like for Tekken 8, they have given many characters "stances". And they have much more useful access to the stances, than in past Tekkens.

My general impression about Tekken 8 so far, is that they tried to make each character as fun and full of options as possible. And similar to Tekken 7, probably more so: Any character will be viable when in good hands. Tier lists probably won't matter much.

***At 1 hour and 28 minutes, Cuddle-Core and Super Akouma do an exhibition match. Cool match and interesting to see these high level players be unfamiliar with all of the moves and mechanics in T8.

Exhibition match between Gosain and Sephiblack, at 2 hours and 23 minutes

**Exhibition between Anakin and Joka, at 3 hours 47 minutes and 45 seconds.

**Exhibition between AyoRichie and Joey Fury, at 4 hours 39 minutes and 40 seconds

Jack 8 seems to have quite high average damage, for individual hits. Combined with his reach, and that he's also not at all slow; he's gonna be a tough character to fight against. It looks like his combos may scale a little more than some other characters, to try and balance it out. But, it will be interesting to see if they make any tweaks by launch or with future patches.

Last edited:
Just finished the stream. That last Exhibition between AyoRiche and Joey Fury was really awesome.

Cuddle Core Vs Super Akouma was great too. If only to see how cool Alisa is in Tekken 8. She's way better and Cuddle Core really shows her off.

Last edited:
The first few things I've noticed are that King's Giant Swing and Tijuana Twister are back to coming out like they did in the old (before T7) days. No more doing the motion and nothing comes out. I've been buffering them off all sorts of stuff and they always come out. That's much appreciated. At the same time, it also seems like King's multi-throws just kinda work just by pressing random buttons. You just pick 1 or 2 and I guess your opponent does, too. I guess they do more damage if you do the old button sequences, though. The leglock and death cradle sequences seem untouched, though. I'm still trying to figure out how King's heat moves work, though. Seems like it activates off his F1, 2 but I can't really tell what the legit follow-ups are.

Either way, I'm having for so far. I'm gonna try playing around with the story mode tomorrow.

A couple more observations:

• The game features HDR. That's kinda surprising since it's a fighting game where every frame matters and lots of monitors introduce lag when HDR is in the mix. That said, I'm not noticing any issues whatsoever, so it's probably using Nvidia's low latency mode. At the same time, I'm not sure HDR adds much to the game, so I doubt I'm going to use it very much.

• When you max everything out and don't use any upscaling, the game will give your PC a workout. My video card and CPU fans are definitely firing up when playing. I'm just rolling with the Catmull-Rom at 100% for now. One of the other options might be cleaner looking, but I haven't messed around that much yet.

• Maybe Tekken 7 was just hyper sensitive to inputs or something, but all moves that required lots of motion inputs are coming out much more often than in 7. It feels like the older games, and that's VERY welcome to me.

• I don't think there are any stages without walls. I'm old school and never really got that good with walls, so this is going to take some adjustment on my part.

The input issue in Tekken 7 may have been due to quirks with UE4 that were worked out with UE5, or the team just now having more experience working with UE. 7 was the first game that didn't use their proprietary engine.

A couple more observations:

• The game features HDR. That's kinda surprising since it's a fighting game where every frame matters and lots of monitors introduce lag when HDR is in the mix.
Really? I don't recall an RTings test where 10 bit HDR introduced any meaningful lag. Maybe one extra millisecond?

• I don't think there are any stages without walls. I'm old school and never really got that good with walls, so this is going to take some adjustment on my part.
Correct, no infinite stages. However, there are some which are really large. Larger than ever.

I went into this game thinking I was going to play Azucena, Bryan or Leo, but I think I'm settling in with Reina and possibly Jin or Jun as a backup. Reina has weak low game like Heihachi but it seems like she can handle just about any situation regardless and she is a bigger troll than Heihachi, very fun to play. I don't see her being a top tier fighter but definitely in the top 20.

Really? I don't recall an RTings test where 10 bit HDR introduced any meaningful lag. Maybe one extra millisecond?

It's not HDR itself, it's mainly TV's from a few years ago that have no option for gaming mode available with HDR on. That's before typical sets came with VRR, HDMI 2.1, Gsync, and such. (I have to swap between 2 sets - one older one from Samsung and one newer one from LG. Unlike most games, both seem to play almost identically well with HDR on...but I'm not sure either actually looks any better)

The CPU still seems programmed to always get hit by rage arts, just like in Tekken 7. If you have a rage art built up, there's a 95% chance the computer will beeline right at you and run into it.

Final game double confirms my feelings from the demo: best feeling Tekken ever. The low input lag and reworked animations, it all feels really nice. I think I'm gonna get a hitbox for this.

Leo is my fave so far, could be my main. Suprisingly, Nina is sticking with me from the demo, as well. I think maybe because she still inputs and moves similar to Tekken 3/5. And it makes me feel nostalgic.

Last edited:
I appreciate that my moves come out when I want. That doesn't mean I'm not going to get annihilated anyway, but at least I don't find myself losing because my inputs disappeared into the ether.
King's new running kick sequences are pretty wild. I need to get better at executing them at the right moments, but his diamond cutter is unbreakable and hits hard.

I appreciate that my moves come out when I want. That doesn't mean I'm not going to get annihilated anyway, but at least I don't find myself losing because my inputs disappeared into the ether.
King's new running kick sequences are pretty wild. I need to get better at executing them at the right moments, but his diamond cutter is unbreakable and hits hard.
Heat mode also loosens the timings on inputs for many character's moves and also makes some grabs unavoidable. Reina's electrics, for example, are much looser in Heat.

I don't understand how to download a ghost from another player anyone understand how this works? I've tried going to the leaderboards and checking player profiles for an option to download the ghost but I don't see any way to do it.

Nevermind, figured it out: All you need to do is go to the leaderboard, select a player, then press profile menu.

Last edited:
Have about 8 hours in so far. Finished Story Mode, finished Arcade Quest, couple char stories done, unlocked all the Ghost battles chests and played some ranked/quick matches. I'm definitely enjoying this one.

Story mode starts off amusing, but by the end is a ridiculous "you haven't even seen my final form!" cut rate anime battle between devils, angels, fighting in space, and the destruction of the universe. It's tough to rationalize a semi-realistic martial arts fighting game with that schlock. Luckily it doesn't look like I'll ever need to touch it again. I did like the brief Tekken Force style battles, but those seemed to only be a quick nod to the older games.

On the online side of things, I've noticed that the level you choose seems to seriously impact latency. I've been playing with a buddy on the other side of the country and it's mostly pretty smooth as long as we choose one of the large/open arenas. Yet those compact ones with lots of break-away walls and floors can get laggy. The volcano level especially. That's with 4090's and gigabit internet on both ends, too. We tried lowering the details and such for the hell of it, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Story mode starts off amusing, but by the end is a ridiculous "you haven't even seen my final form!" cut rate anime battle between devils, angels, fighting in space, and the destruction of the universe. It's tough to rationalize a semi-realistic martial arts fighting game with that schlock. Luckily it doesn't look like I'll ever need to touch it again. I did like the brief Tekken Force style battles, but those seemed to only be a quick nod to the older games.

On the online side of things, I've noticed that the level you choose seems to seriously impact latency. I've been playing with a buddy on the other side of the country and it's mostly pretty smooth as long as we choose one of the large/open arenas. Yet those compact ones with lots of break-away walls and floors can get laggy. The volcano level especially. That's with 4090's and gigabit internet on both ends, too. We tried lowering the details and such for the hell of it, but it doesn't seem to matter.
The fight between good and evil has been a part of the series since the beginning, including literal devils and angels.

The fight between good and evil has been a part of the series since the beginning, including literal devils and angels.

I get that, but have you SEEN the final battles in this game? It's ridiculous. I've played through all the other ones, and on the "ridiculous anime trope" scale they're like a 4-5. This is an 11.

I never pay any attention to Fighting game stories and never play story modes.

If the arcade mode still has video endings, I have always treated those as little one-off vignettes. Sometimes they are goofy.

In terms of the ebb and flow of matches, it feels like there is less emphasis on getting off the ground and more emphasis on blowing through attacks. You have to be really careful with people in heat or rage, even with your fastest attacks. Side and back rolls seem to work pretty well and getting up with an attack is riskier than ever. The juggles that go on and on and on aren't as ever-present as they were in 7, too. Things still hit really hard, but I no longer feel like I'm playing Marvel when I get hit with a launcher. It's definitely still an evolutionary step (and it's still 85% the same as T7), but I enjoy it way more already.

If anyone cares, it's pretty easy to get all of the trophies/achievements in T8. I noticed I had all but 4 just playing normally. One is a little tricky (you have to lose the final round of the final story battle), but the rest I got just playing normally. I only have a handful of "perfect games" with all achievements on Steam, but T8 is now one of 'em.

High profile local tournament outta Tampa.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8ab0jo8Ts

Turns out I was incorrect-----Frosty Faustings is a high profile event. But, it was only hosted on Tampa Never Sleep's channel. FF isn't actually in Tampa.

However! Tampa Never Sleeps has their own tournament. and they posted the top 8 from the "Pools" matches, today:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4FUw1pCDI

On a side note: Twitch now has a multicast feature, for people to send the same stream in different bitrates/codecs/resolutions, to give their audience more options. I think its early days for the features, but Nvidia has partnered with OBS to support it.

In result, I hope this also means OBS will expand the options for doing a local recording, while also streaming. It would be really great if these fighting game tournaments could start doing 1440p or 4K local recordings, while also serving up lower quality streams. So that when they post on youtube, its a high res/higher bitrate local copy. Rather than stream quality, directly downloaded VOD from Twitch.

Last edited:
I just realized I already have 80 hours played. This is probably my favorite Tekken and I was a pretty big fan of Tekken 3, Tag1 and Tekken 7
Yeah, it's pretty dang great.

My only small gripe is a couple of characters probably do a little too much damage, overall. And that's about it.

But. I also do not care about fighting.game stories, character costume customization, etc.

I'm having fun with 8 so far. I've just been doing a bunch of quick matches, and it seems to pull a wide variety of players and skill levels. I've run into some players that border on tournament-level, and some that are clearly playing their first Tekken ever. It's a bit like rolling up to the arcade in that regard, which I like. The SF community seems obsessed with ranked match, while Tekken people clearly don't seem to give a damn.
I still prefer the older games before the move lists went bonkers, though. 3, Tag, and 5/DR are my faves. I'd definitely put 8 above the last three titles already, though. If nothing else, the controls feel like the older games and I appreciate that.

I still prefer the older games before the move lists went bonkers, though. 3, Tag, and 5/DR are my faves. I'd definitely put 8 above the last three titles already, though. If nothing else, the controls feel like the older games and I appreciate that.
IMO, the movelists have been huge since 3. Its just that more of the moves have specific uses and overall more of them are usable.

If you are really nostalgic for the older games, I recommend playing Nina. She still feels a lot like she did in those older games. And even her new moves fit pretty well with the style. She's also just a dang good character to play with. I mean, all of them are. But IMO, Nina is a bit of a sleeper character right now.

IMO, the movelists have been huge since 3. Its just that more of the moves have specific uses and overall more of them are usable.

If you are really nostalgic for the older games, I recommend playing Nina. She still feels a lot like she did in those older games. And even her new moves fit pretty well with the style. She's also just a dang good character to play with. I mean, all of them are. But IMO, Nina is a bit of a sleeper character right now.

I feel like the rest of the cast kinda morphed into Nina. She was one of the only two (along with King) characters with a huge list of moves in the old days. There are very few single moves anymore. Everything has a canned follow-up, and usually in the form of an automated mid/low mix-up. In many cases, more than one. To me, that's the overwhelming part. Not doing these things, but knowing how to block and deal with all of them when someone else does. Especially with reset situations in play and you aren't sure if you're being juggled or just looped thanks to an overhead that doesn't look like an overhead. Think you have it down? Great, but after your 3 matches online you'll probably never see that sequence again because other players have 20 others to choose from instead. It makes Tekken a hell of a desert island game, but it's tough to hop into casually without refusing to play neutral. In Street Fighter they talk about tricky looking sequences being a "knowledge check." IMO, Tekken 5 is when the entire game kinda became a knowledge check. I do pretty well based on knowing how to defend the old moves rather well, but I readily admit that I cheat my way out of playing neutral with King. Basically everything is counter-hit, grab, and low.

Back