Team 2405 appreciation thread! Pics, a poll, and comments about our baby!

Do you have a 2405?

• Total voters
i got mine via ground shipping BEFORE the initial SHIP date.. so maybe you guys will have similiar luck.

Just ordered mine tonight. schedulaed to be shipped on the 29th. maybe it will come earlier

Robert

evilbyte said:
I ordered mine on September 8 ... according to this, that means that mine won't be shipped until the 20th. Oi!

It's hard to be patient waiting for a new toy ... :p

ib.

Guess we're in the same boat :) Keep us updated...

So yesterday was my Birthday, and knowing how birthdays comes and go, I wasn't expecting too much of a turnaround this time since I pretty am content with what I got, etc... So when Mrs.KrulL lead me to my home office after they did the whole 'SUPRISE!' thing with 95% of the immediate family and friends showing, I almost cried the tears of joy when I saw this sight... :D

110.jpg

OMFG!! IT CAME WITH A NEW DESK AS WELL!! OMFG!! OMFG!! :eek:

112.jpg

First impression was, "Sombody pintch me please!! I'm in a dream right?!!?" hehe...

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

I haven't had much time with it yet, since I am at work now posting this here, and mainly due to the fact that I don't have a good enough Graphics Card to power the thing! I'll be getting a 7800GTX today though to do it justice!

The thing's MASSIVE! I POST my system up to the BIOS to see the thing live, but I can't wait to use it for more 'productivity assesments' (ie: gaming...) activities. I still haven't tested it for dead pixels (crossfingers!!), but backlighting bleeding seems non existent at first impression.

You gotta understand how RARE a 2405 here where I live in Europe, plus the fact that it cost near to/almost DOUBLE from what you spend on it across the pond in the US. Further intel from Mrs.KrulL states that she got it from ebay UK, which from my post to this thread, I was very worried on getting such a high investment PC peripheral prone to dodgy sellers/products. Still am, but from the looks of this 2405, I am utterly impress and so far no doubt that she got it from a genuine ebay seller! PHEW!

Next to the 2405 is a 17" AOC CRT monitor vinyl dyed black borrowed from my sister when my 5 year old 19" Mitsubishi CRT monitor packed it in like 6 or so months ago.

Now this next pic was taken early this morning, 0500hrs to be exact! OMFG! :D

125.jpg

You know that a woman loves and appreciate the geekness inside of you when you get a 2405 AND the table/workbench of your dreams for a birthday present!!

Absolutely the BEST PRESENT EVER!!! :cool:

Next stop, the IWILL SLI Dual Opetron SFF system, and another TWO 2405's with an HD LCD arm from Ergotron!!

EDIT: Further intel from Mrs.KrulL -- She got it from this Ebay UK seller. This was the 2405 item listing.

- KrulL

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I love how I sent creative 1 Subwoofer to be repaired, they send me a whole new system :p

I just ordered my 2405 and I expected to receive it next week (SHOULD HAVE READ THIS THREAD B4 ORDERING!!?!?!) but now I check my order status and get:

Delivery Estimate: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - Friday, October 07, 2005
This information is current as of Friday, September 16, 2005.

Order Processing: Friday, September 16, 2005
Pre-production: Friday, September 16, 2005
In Production: Friday, September 16, 2005
Kitting
Build
Testing
Boxing
Shipping Prep: Friday, September 30, 2005
Estimated Ship Date: Friday, September 30, 2005

NOOOooOooOoooooOOOO I didn't know there was a wait time...Dell didn't prompt me with anything saying "your shit will be late" WTF!

Oct 5-7th?! I won't even be in town that whole week!

omfg /cry

*****Does anyone know what my BFG6800 OC will be able to do with WoW?
*****Can anyone post some pics of what WoW looks like on this beautiful LCD?

thx

Atti2d said:
I just ordered my 2405 and I expected to receive it next week (SHOULD HAVE READ THIS THREAD B4 ORDERING!!?!?!) but now I check my order status and get:

Delivery Estimate: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - Friday, October 07, 2005
This information is current as of Friday, September 16, 2005.

Order Processing: Friday, September 16, 2005
Pre-production: Friday, September 16, 2005
In Production: Friday, September 16, 2005
Kitting
Build
Testing
Boxing
Shipping Prep: Friday, September 30, 2005
Estimated Ship Date: Friday, September 30, 2005

NOOOooOooOoooooOOOO I didn't know there was a wait time...Dell didn't prompt me with anything saying "your shit will be late" WTF!

Oct 5-7th?! I won't even be in town that whole week!

omfg /cry

thx

\I ordered mine today too ad said it wil SHIP the 29th od sept.

Did it tell you that they were out of stock? I wouldn't have purchased it now if it would have...those sneaky bastids

I have ordered from dell more times than I can count, and whenever you order something...it pops up saying "just so you know...this shit's out of stock"...so I didn't even look to see if it said that. BAH BAH BAAAH! Well i guess I'll have to drool over everyone else's 2405...

yeah it will be just like as a kid waiting for christmas morning to come. i cant wait thats for sure.

Robert

I ordered mine from Dell's website last friday (Sep-09-2005) and I received it YESTERDAY via DHL and I live in Puerto Rico, so I am one happy camper!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

All I have to say is, THIS LCD IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The image quality and size is just jaw dropping. I got it for $1000 + $30 s/h.

I had to also purchase a xFx GeForce 7800GTX OC so I could run this puppy without a problem. Luckily or perhaps, ironically, I ordered both the LCD and videocard the same day and both arrived the same day!

For those that already have one, ENJOY AND TAKE MUCH CARE OF IT! For those that don't have it, try to get one. I highly recommend it.

Atti2d said:

thx

is yours a 6800nu? well when i get home i can post picks of what it'll look like on my machine. 6800gt+2405fpw

Can't wait for mine I will be getting my parts for my new rig (in sig) this monday or tuseday, but then have to wait to really see it shine untill I get my 2405FPW!

Off hand I can tell you, the monitor def. makes everything look great, but like high speed fps (might be just for me) I get tearing. I think like, my Frames persecond is higher then the refresh rate can handle therefore you see some tearing.. :confused: anyways, now would be a good time to turn on V-Sync right?

PRCop said:
I ordered mine from Dell's website last friday (Sep-09-2005) and I received it YESTERDAY via DHL and I live in Puerto Rico, so I am one happy camper!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

All I have to say is, THIS LCD IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The image quality and size is just jaw dropping. I got it for $1000 + $30 s/h.

I had to also purchase a xFx GeForce 7800GTX OC so I could run this puppy without a problem. Luckily or perhaps, ironically, I ordered both the LCD and videocard the same day and both arrived the same day!

For those that already have one, ENJOY AND TAKE MUCH CARE OF IT! For those that don't have it, try to get one. I highly recommend it.
Welcome...to...the...dark...side...of...the...force... :p

RailGunRiz said:
Off hand I can tell you, the monitor def. makes everything look great, but like high speed fps (might be just for me) I get tearing. I think like, my Frames persecond is higher then the refresh rate can handle therefore you see some tearing.. :confused: anyways, now would be a good time to turn on V-Sync right?

Anything behond 60fps, you will get tearing as its locked at 60hertz.

Pinipig523 said:
I'm sure your report will be positive. :)

Unforunately, not.

Right when it was booting up, I could see a dead pixel about 1/2" up from the "D" in Dell. When I did the backlight test, my backlight looked like Ice's backlight with leakage from the top right and bottom left corners. Something else, and I suspect its from the backlight issue, when I have a Windows background set to black, its not really black at all, its dark gray. This is when the "brightness" is set to zero, btw. Black, in windows boxes, like this webpage, are pure black however, as long as I don't go full screen.

I could live with the single dead pixel, but not bad blacklevels. Not problem with "buzzing" or much cursor lag that others have reported however.

hagbard said:
Unforunately, not.

Right when it was booting up, I could see a dead pixel about 1/2" up from the "D" in Dell. When I did the backlight test, my backlight looked like Ice's backlight with leakage from the top right and bottom left corners. Something else, and I suspect its from the backlight issue, when I have a Windows background set to black, its not really black at all, its dark gray. This is when the "brightness" is set to zero, btw. Black, in windows boxes, like this webpage, are pure black however, as long as I don't go full screen.

I could live with the single dead pixel, but not bad blacklevels. Not problem with "buzzing" or much cursor lag that others have reported however.

Call tell and gripe about the backlighting and how you can't stand it, they will overnight you a new one free of charge. Continue to do this until yiou get a perfect one.

IceWind said:
Call tell and gripe about the backlighting and how you can't stand it, they will overnight you a new one free of charge. Continue to do this until yiou get a perfect one.

But at some point, won't they start shipping refurbs? Wonder if they'll do the same for me here (Canada) as they do for you?

Hey Hagbard: Didn't I see you over on RFD? ;) Anyway, sorry to hear about your lcd. You need to give Dell a call to get a replacement. To get a new lcd (and not refurb.), you need to do the following: Call tech support and explain your problem and how it really bothers you, etc. They'll put notes down on your account saying that you are returning the monitor. However, DO NOT get tech support to send you out a new one. Tech support can only send out refurbs. Just tell them you want a NEW one, and they'll Xfer you over to customer care. Its customer care that can send you a new one. They'll send you out a new one right away and also include shipping labels to put on the old one to send it back. Shipping both ways is also free! Hope this helps

Sparrow_69 said:
Hey Hagbard: Didn't I see you over on RFD? ;) Anyway, sorry to hear about your lcd. You need to give Dell a call to get a replacement. To get a new lcd (and not refurb.), you need to do the following: Call tech support and explain your problem and how it really bothers you, etc. They'll put notes down on your account saying that you are returning the monitor. However, DO NOT get tech support to send you out a new one. Tech support can only send out refurbs. Just tell them you want a NEW one, and they'll Xfer you over to customer care. Its customer care that can send you a new one. They'll send you out a new one right away and also include shipping labels to put on the old one to send it back. Shipping both ways is also free! Hope this helps

Do they pickup the one being replaced at the same time, or send it back later? Would be useful to compare the two.

I would have ordered one of these monitors except for the fact I absolutely loathe dell's shipping procedures. I ordered an NEC 17in LCD from them two years ago and it was supposed to be here within a week. I thought that was fine and I waited. One week disappeared and it turned into 3 more days. I waited another 3 more days and they added on another week and said they didn't know approximately when it was going to be in. So I cancelled the order and purchased a Samsung 191T from Newegg and got it in 2 days. Fucking Dell still shipped my monitor and charged me for it. I wish another company would come out with a 2405 style monitor.

On a lighter note, any backlighting problems like with the 19 and 20in lcds? My 191T came perfect to me and I didn't want to risk upgrading to the 20in when they first came out. The 2405s look fantastic and would like to get one when Dell's shipping doesn't turn into the gay delay games.

I should ask, what is the problem with bleedthrough? I notice is easily with a black background but not otherwise. I do notice, however, that my photos are somewhat washed out and this this is incredibly bright (I've turned the brightness all the way down, and even more in the ATI software). I can't get decent black levels at all. I run a DVD and I have gray bars top and bottom, not black. Run a black background and I get gray. Is this caused by the bleedthrough?

dell2405fpw5py.jpg

Just got it yesterday. No dead pixels, no backlight bleeding or whatever... it's so god damned nice. Huge, bigger than I expected.

Strangely HDTV content looks better than DVD content (takes up more of the screen), though I guess that's not really that odd since HDTV is higher res than DVD natively.

Sin City/24/Lost look awesome on it.

evilbyte said:
I ordered mine on September 8 ... according to this, that means that mine won't be shipped until the 20th. Oi!

It's hard to be patient waiting for a new toy ... :p

ib.

The original prediction was right on the money ... shipped today ... it took 12 days to have it shipped.

ib.

got my 2405fpw today and i'm very happy w/ my purchased.. will post some pics tomorrow. :)

Got mine today, no dead pixels, no backlight/bleedthrough (whatever you call it) issues, but I do have about 1/8" sagging. Don't think I am too worried about that, not annoying yet, should it get annoying I will prop it up with something.

However, I can't seem to get DVI to work. I have a 5900XT which does 1920x1200 just fine and obviously has a DVI port, but the screen doesn't respond to the DVI input. Thoughts?

EDIT: Yes, I know where to change the input settings. Once I switch to 2, the screen goes all black, then the green 2 changes into a deep orange 2, and that is that. Hewp!

@Thuleman:

Probably you have got mine. :eek:

Had the same problems:
Analog ok
DVI absolut no signal with any vga-card
minimal sagging
no dead signals or backlight problem.

Had to RMA mine and got a functional one.

KrulL said:
The thing's MASSIVE! I POST my system up to the BIOS to see the thing live, but I can't wait to use it for more 'productivity assesments' (ie: gaming...) activities. I still haven't tested it for dead pixels (crossfingers!!), but backlighting bleeding seems non existent at first impression.
I'm a proud owner of ONE Dead/Stuck Pixel! :rolleyes: Only shows on Black... I could even say it's a sub-pixel really, since its really, really small.

The thing is I am pretty sure it wasn't there before when I first checked my 2405. I am hoping it's just a stuck pixel. Good thing is it's on the lower-right-center so its not really obvious unless you really put your face next to the LCD. I'm telling myself NOT to get annoyed by it... it sure takes alot of discipline! heh..

I got this video from http://www.jeffpatch.com/?postid=98

Seems like a pixel exerciser to me... do no if it does anything...

- KrulL

hey KrulL, I am in the same boat as you!
Im on my 3rd Dell Monitor, and the 1st thing I did was load Dead Pixel Buddy to check for dead pixels, and like you, no dead pixels, then later on, did a check again, found a GREEN ONE!!!!!!! Which is the same as my 2nd refurb replacement they sent me. Pity now I have to make dell send me a 4th one. Also, the 3rd one has very bad backlight leakage, this time the bottom right corner and ALSO the TOP MIDDLE. My 1st one had a red defect pixel, but the backlight was the best so far out of the 3. A 4th one is on its way and Ill call it quits on the 5th.

Got my DVI issue fixed. Uninstalled Forceware, reboot, install latest Forceware, reboot, done! It would NOT work by just installing the latest Forceware over the old one (as in just running the installer), I had to once boot into a setup without any real gfx driver installed.

1/8" sag remains, I am thinking to counter it by jamming some folded paper into the tilt mechanics. Don't really want to prop it up, and since the display is perfect I don't want to RMA it either, who knows what I would get.

lil^mac said:
hey KrulL, I am in the same boat as you!
Im on my 3rd Dell Monitor, and the 1st thing I did was load Dead Pixel Buddy to check for dead pixels, and like you, no dead pixels, then later on, did a check again, found a GREEN ONE!!!!!!! Which is the same as my 2nd refurb replacement they sent me. Pity now I have to make dell send me a 4th one. Also, the 3rd one has very bad backlight leakage, this time the bottom right corner and ALSO the TOP MIDDLE. My 1st one had a red defect pixel, but the backlight was the best so far out of the 3. A 4th one is on its way and Ill call it quits on the 5th.
Lucky for you you can RMA the sucker to DELL... Since I live in Europe, It would suck to do what you do returning it to DELL UK, etc... :(

What's the pixel policy for DELL Monitors anyways? You mentioned you only had 1 or 2 dead pixels and they issued replacements?

So I ordered mine on the 19th...and received TODAY!!!!!

Of course I called up dell and compained my ass off about the wait...

I'm at work...so I connected it up to my laptop just to see what the dealie is with it...and it appears to be ok. Couldn't see any dead pixels/green pixels. I did, however, notice that when I turned it on...before it actually got video signal...it was gray...not black. SO...I am a little worried about that...but I will do more testing when I get home.

Sorry no pics, since my wife left me last weekend and took the camera...doh!

BUT NEW LCD W()()T~!~

What kind of resolution should I be able to get w/my 3000+, 1GB RAM, and BFG6800 OC on WoW? Hopefully I can pull 1600x1200 with decent fps...we'll see tonight.

Sucky part is I leave tomorrow to go out of town on business :( :( :(

So there...at home...it shall wait...

*tear

Back