Supreme Commander Thread!

after reading about this game quite a bit... I need to upgrade my computer... :/

sorta sucks hearing about people with almost top 0 the line computers and still the game is slow.

The only thing that will slow down a high end computer will be 8 AI opponents and 1k unit limits. Even on my system, the FPS stay constant unless I zoom in on 6 overlapping shields. However units do tend to become unresponsive when you order 300+ units to move. which is more annoying this single digit fps.

Theres a fantastic mod that allows up to 10,000 units.
Awesome for 81k x 81k maps :).
Frame drops, anyone?

Anyone have, or know of someone playing on a 64bit OS? To pass "Games for windows" certification, it just needs to run, but i want to know if it runs well.

Anyone have, or know of someone playing on a 64bit OS? To pass "Games for windows" certification, it just needs to run, but i want to know if it runs well.

I am playing it on Windows XP x64 Pro, and it plays fine. I am guessing you wanted to know more about vista x64 edition.

Hey I didn't do the tests at Tech report or Extreme tech, just reporting that they saw nill affect from quad.

If you have SLI 8800GTX I guess you won't be GPU limited and can exercise those Quads. Clear that graphics card is where the money should go first is it not?

Has gas powered games announced anything about optimizing the game more for quad cores? In an upcoming patch or anything?

seems like quad cores really only uses 2 cores mainly , then the other 2 get very little use.

Hey I didn't do the tests at Tech report or Extreme tech, just reporting that they saw nill affect from quad.

If you have SLI 8800GTX I guess you won't be GPU limited and can exercise those Quads. Clear that graphics card is where the money should go first is it not?
I think youd get better results running a G80GTS and a quad than a e6600 and a GTX. Higher resolutions at least. A GTS like mine isn't exactly a slouch. I suggested in the genmay thread to run a quick test with a lower GPU, if he does it'll be a few days.

ok i just got this game off the hardforums (i'm a little late to SupCom party).. and i have to say this game is amazing..

Especially the Dual Monitor Support..

when i first loaded it up and the way the game uses both monitors is absolutely fantastic..

if you have this game and have a 2nd monitor (even some crappy small 14" CRT) hook it up....

i am running it on my Westy37" @ 1920x1080 for the main and my 2005FPW @ 1680x1050 as my secondary and its amazing.. runs smooth as can be on my X1900XTX..

seamlessly selecting units on one screen then issuing the commands on the main screen

having 2 different zoom levels of the same area or having 2 different areas zoomed in..

one of hte few games that was actually written to take advantange of dual monitors..

Newegg is giving out FREE copies of the OEM version of the game with purchases of E6600 CPUs. Shame I already have one!

I've been back at school for 3 weeks, and haven't had SC on here because I formatted. My brother (KINDLY!) sent the DVD to me, and I should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday. I freaking loved this game when I was playing it over spring break.

I've been back at school for 3 weeks, and haven't had SC on here because I formatted. My brother (KINDLY!) sent the DVD to me, and I should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday. I freaking loved this game when I was playing it over spring break.
im kinda in the same boat, my PC sorta died right on release day of Sup Comm, and i haven't had it fixed yet :( just gotta hang in there

I just finished the UEF campaign. Awesome game, but damn each mission takes ages.. I guess I need to recall my TA times, when the winning strategy was a set of Big Berthas with good air defense.

I just finished the UEF campaign. Awesome game, but damn each mission takes ages.. I guess I need to recall my TA times, when the winning strategy was a set of Big Berthas with good air defense.
mid mission saves!
Each mission is what would be called a campaign in other games...

No wonder my SupComm was dragging, apparently SLI + SupComm is bad! I put my nVidia control back to "Single GPU" and saw framerates go up. Sad...

The game is absolutely awesome though, and runs fine on my sig rig (overclock is gone for now, too many problems that I can't trace to anything, guessing it's OC related)

One problem I've noticed, and this has nothing to do with my PC hardware, is that I can't play online with more than 4 people (4-way FFA or 2v2 is the max I can do). Apparently I don't have enough upstream bandwidth. I've heard that SupCom requires about 24Kbps for each person in the game not counting yourself, so assuming that is accurate, an 8-way game should only require 168Kbps of upstream bandwidth (24Kbps x 7).

I'm on a 6Mbps cable connection that is supposed to have 384Kbps upload speed. However when I test it the best I can measure is about 220Kbps upload. That should still be enough for an 8-way game, but whenever I try to join a game with more than 4 people I see my ping in-game start to spike up to 2000+ ms and then drop down to normal, then spike up again in a very regular oscillating pattern, makes the game unplayable.

Either the 24Kbps estimate is way off, or my cable connection has serious upload issues.

I've tried using the console command ren_showbandwidth but the chart is shows isn't clear in regards to the scale or which lines mean what. Anyone here up to speed on SupCom networking?

Hehe...Try this guys...build a strategic launcher using about 30-40 level 3 engineers....then use those engineers to assist building the nukes....25 second launches...one missle does not even hit the ground before the next one is in the air....SHOCK AND AWESOME!!!!

Hehe...Try this guys...build a strategic launcher using about 30-40 level 3 engineers....then use those engineers to assist building the nukes....25 second launches...one missle does not even hit the ground before the next one is in the air....SHOCK AND AWESOME!!!!

My favorite was my 2 minute Mavor, lol. 3 v 3 game i had my other two players help with my third mavor build, there were about 50 sub commanders building it, lol

I ordered an 8800 GTS with this game free, should be here next week. I can't wait - I loved the demo.

One problem I've noticed, and this has nothing to do with my PC hardware, is that I can't play online with more than 4 people (4-way FFA or 2v2 is the max I can do). Apparently I don't have enough upstream bandwidth. I've heard that SupCom requires about 24Kbps for each person in the game not counting yourself, so assuming that is accurate, an 8-way game should only require 168Kbps of upstream bandwidth (24Kbps x 7).

I'm on a 6Mbps cable connection that is supposed to have 384Kbps upload speed. However when I test it the best I can measure is about 220Kbps upload. That should still be enough for an 8-way game, but whenever I try to join a game with more than 4 people I see my ping in-game start to spike up to 2000+ ms and then drop down to normal, then spike up again in a very regular oscillating pattern, makes the game unplayable.

Either the 24Kbps estimate is way off, or my cable connection has serious upload issues.

I've tried using the console command ren_showbandwidth but the chart is shows isn't clear in regards to the scale or which lines mean what. Anyone here up to speed on SupCom networking?

Sounds like the other players can be causing the problems with lag as well. Everyone in the game should have good upload and computers to bypass any game lag when the game is +6 players.

is the single player really that short?

i played through the UEF compaign, did the last mission and that was it?

i thought i'd go through the other 2 campaigns but they start you off at the very beginning (the build 3 of this 3 of that)..

is that really all there is to the single player(like the 5 or 6 missions)?

wow talk about disappointing..

Instead of writing out a long story, let me summarize my lesson from the other night: Make sure you remember to build strategic missile defense platforms! Hahaaaaa.....what a scare that was.

I'm a huge fan of artillary. Nothing like finally finishing the experimental artillery that the UEF has and just pointing it at each of the enemy bases...

BTW what is everyone's favorite map? Mine is the 80x80 km island map.

I'm a huge fan of artillary. Nothing like finally finishing the experimental artillery that the UEF has and just pointing it at each of the enemy bases...
Sure there is. teleporting in 2 SCUs just when the beams end and killing said artillery just before it finishes aiming...

Are SCU's really that powerful? I haven't used them too much...
Anything with 20k HP is powerful when it does 750dps and teleports within meters of the mavor...They only have to survive for a combined 8 seconds (plus aim time) to kill the mavor.

10,400 + 1,320,000 (plus 2x teleport energy cost)
vs
378,000 + 11,250,000

You do the math. Only decently reasonable way to defend against a couple of these guys is overlapping heavy shields which cover just to far side of the mavor. 2 per side of the gun and a shitload of triads around the complex to kill within a few seconds. Even that is dangerous as the triads have a (small, but existant) AoE effect to them. And even then its likely for the SCUs to survive the 8 seconds needed to blast the mavor to death if the complex isn't designed perfectly.

As to the question in general, yeah. SCUs are damn powerful. Especially when upgraded. I was playing an AI that liked to build spiders. 6 Aeon SCUs (admittedly with mobile stealth gen cover, yay capturing enemy tech) built a large complex of cybran TML-4s and then a GC that waltzed over like 5 spiders before getting killed. SCUs are strong AND versatile. They should replace engineers on any hour+ game almost completely.

Anyone have any tips for better performance in Vista 64? On my rig (see sig) with Vista it will run well at first but then it appears as if there is a memory leak. The game will just slow to a crawl. This usually doesn't happen in SP, but it does in an 1on1 MP game and also in skirmish with more than one AI.

On a separate HDD I have a copy of XP SP2 which I can boot from and playing on that HDD in XP the problems don't appear as severe.

Let me also add that in Vista I am playing on 1280x1024 with all settings high, AA and VSYNC set to off and shadows low or off. When the choppiness starts even setting the settings to 1024x768 and all low it doesn't help at all.

Especially the Dual Monitor Support..

when i first loaded it up and the way the game uses both monitors is absolutely fantastic..

if you have this game and have a 2nd monitor (even some crappy small 14" CRT) hook it up....

i am running it on my Westy37" @ 1920x1080 for the main and my 2005FPW @ 1680x1050 as my secondary and its amazing.. runs smooth as can be on my X1900XTX..

seamlessly selecting units on one screen then issuing the commands on the main screen

having 2 different zoom levels of the same area or having 2 different areas zoomed in..

one of hte few games that was actually written to take advantange of dual monitors..

Nice...I will be running this game on 2x 37'' westy's here in a couple days. Will have to hook them both up then :)

Anybody else running dual monitors?

Needs more CPU.

..How can I download that? (lol joking...i wish.)

Seriously though. That's pathetic. Considering the Recommended system requirements are:

* 3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor or better
* 1GB RAM or better

I have a 3.6 P4 running Vista 64 and 2gigs of RAM.

Seriously though. That's pathetic. Considering the Recommended system requirements are:

* 1GB RAM or better

It's not you, though. This game beats down sucker PCs...and to it we all have sucker PCs.

Now, having said that, here's a quote from Squidbot (dev/support team) over at the GPG forums about the upcoming uber-patch:

There have been radical changes to the code, with parts which have been completely rewritten or majority over hauled. With large changes we needed to test the patch thoroughly so caused a longer release envelope than originally thought.

* 1GB RAM or better

Well, there's your problem right there. :p

So here it is...Here is what I told you guys I would take pictures of. Supreme Commander on both my 37w3's playing dual-screen... :p

I know my cable management sucks, but hey I bring in new stuff all the time so I get tired of reorganizing them...

And this is how it normally is...because my other one goes in the living room for the TV and other 360...

Yeah I hope they change the code around. I'm tired of getting like 20fps with a E6600 @3ghz and a 7900gs @ 600/800

I mean wtf lol....

Instead of writing out a long story, let me summarize my lesson from the other night: Make sure you remember to build strategic missile defense platforms! Hahaaaaa.....what a scare that was.

BTW what is everyone's favorite map? Mine is the 80x80 km island map.

One thing i found out about the strategic missile defense, is that it does not guard against ally nukes, lol. I ended up nuking a friend just messing around but i didn't think it would land, well it did.

The mavor is great for compstomps, its a commander killer but for PvP it just takes way to long to build, you would be better off building several mobile factories in that time.

I am loving this game!
But I found the best way win is to slow play it.
Build up large amounts of Tech 3 Power plants and Energy converters as fast as possible while you just tank up you base, toss shields as you go. After that just slowly creep out of your base making sure to cover your assests with anti-Nuke defense. I played on that 80 x 80km map with all the others set on HARD and as long as you just keep building Heavy Artilery and Point Defense and back them with the proper covereage, nothing can stop you.

Granted it's a sloppy and slow way to win, but it really is a lot of fun defending your self from dozens of heavy ships, then tossing nukes out to clear a path for your SCU's to just walk into every situation and OWN!

So here it is...Here is what I told you guys I would take pictures of. Supreme Commander on both my 37w3's playing dual-screen... :p

I know my cable management sucks, but hey I bring in new stuff all the time so I get tired of reorganizing them...

And this is how it normally is...because my other one goes in the living room for the TV and other 360...

Nice. One thing I would lovvvvvve in this game....touch screen support. Ohhhh ohhhhh ohhhhh ahhhhhh. I just hurt myself.

Back