Here is mine on a 290x stock clocks and a 8350 overclocked to 4.7.

Vr result.PNG

Runs a $650 GPU with a $1000 CPU on a mainboard/RAM platforms that STARTS at $500.

"Occulus is to 'spensive!!!"

First off, I got the gpu and cpu for way less than that. 2nd, yeah $600 for the occulus and $800 for the vive is something I am not willing to shell money out for. So yeah, it is too damn expensive. I'll wait until VR gets cheaper or when I can snag one off CL or something for much cheaper.

Just to clear up my post (35) it is running a 7970 (non ghz)

a 7970 should at LEAST be medium. its still a pretty capable GPU.

you are correct, just as second post which its my old machine running the 280X at stock, its a Gigabyte windforce so of course, that's like a ghz edition, it shouldn't be so huge difference with another 7970.

Mine failed as well...looks like it overloaded the 3GB frameBuffer

that's the thing, why some card fails and why some card pass? you have a 280X with 20mhz gpu clock difference than my old one and, and mine pass with acceptable score and your card no? it have to be some nasty bug.

My system is quite similar to OP and his does way better than mine. Seems too random to be efficient.

that's the thing, why some card fails and why some card pass? you have a 280X with 20mhz gpu clock difference than my old one and, and mine pass with acceptable score and your card no? it have to be some nasty bug.

The test is just horribly buggy. If I have both Afterburner and HWInfo on, the test abruptly ends after about 10-15 seconds in with no warnings or error messages. If I just have HWInfo open, the test will finish, but it won't display the results. Only when I close both AB and HWInfo does the test run properly for me.

FYI, I had to disable GSync in order to get the score I was expecting out of my 980ti. With gsync enabled I was in the middle of the yellow area, without it I pegged the green like everyone else.

Are any of you folks with weird AMD scores using freesync or doing driver stuff like forcing vsync or frame rate limits?

Steam just updated the tool for CF/SLI support...doesn't change single card performance though, notice the GPU line it says (2 GPUs) when in CF/SLI mode. During the CF test, I got a lot of full screen texture flicker on the "right" eye...along with shitty multi-gpu scaling, lol.
VRReady02242016.JPG
VRReadySingle02242016.JPG

AMD seems to be getting the shaft with this tool...

Might be a driver issue. I turned my heater up so that it is 90 degrees Fahrenheit in here and my score dropped to 7.3, but my frames created increased by 200. My temps on my card went from 60c to 63c during the benchmark due to the higher ambient room temperature. I have my CPU set to power saving to limit heat output. I have PowerPlay enabled on my R9 290 so it downclocks to 300 MHz like a stock R9 290. Usually when I let the CPU run at a static 4.7GHz, it will score a somewhat higher in benchmarks, and makes a heck of a difference in encoding video times. This test is GPU bound so I doubt it will make a difference here, and I'm much too lazy to go into the bios and change it. If you overclock your VRAM on your video card too far, it will cause your video cards to "chop" and stutter even though you can't see it. It will significantly reduce frame rates. Also heat is the number one reason that these cards used to throttle with the original AMD cooling solution.

7.5 / 7.3 is the range for my scores. I think that's not bad for what I have. I can lower my card to stock and test again if you like.

Ran the benchmark again after the patch today. Got a 7.3 this time. :)

SteamVRFeb24Patch.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-24_12-57-21.png
    upload_2016-2-24_12-57-21.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 45
So I clocked my R9 290 to 947 core / 1250 memory. Makes a helluva difference! So maybe your score isn't too far off if you're at stock speeds on your GPU. I never dipped below 100 fps even on this test according to the Steam FPS counter that I have enabled.

upload_2016-2-24_13-5-43.png

FYI, I had to disable GSync in order to get the score I was expecting out of my 980ti. With gsync enabled I was in the middle of the yellow area, without it I pegged the green like everyone else.

Are any of you folks with weird AMD scores using freesync or doing driver stuff like forcing vsync or frame rate limits?

I ran with GSync on and my scores look just fine. Make sure you have "vertical sync" sent to "off" in the NVCP if you enable GSync. For some reason it's on by default.

I get a 5.9 if I just increase the memory to 1550 and leave the core at 947. If I increase the core to 1120 and leave the memory at 1250 then it's a 7.0 score.

No performance improvement on my 7970 with the latest version, it did however introduce a ton of artifacting. GPU/MEM at default speeds.

I ran with GSync on and my scores look just fine. Make sure you have "vertical sync" sent to "off" in the NVCP if you enable GSync. For some reason it's on by default.

I'm pretty sure I always have it off or "use application setting", but I'll double check. Someone I know had the same issue and they have the same monitor as me (which is the same as yours).

I can't find anyone else on the internet complaining about it so it seems likely that I was doing something wrong

I don't think this is very representative of anything.Apart maybe from your being able to run portal in VR.

glad to see my system is still able to meet the requirements although i won't be able to afford any vr kit anytime soon :(
my i7 960 is at stock settings, r290x @ 1050mhz core 1350mhz mem
vrtest.jpg

sad to see everyone that posted their scores in this thread except me using Windows 10...you guys need to turn in your [H] card :(

sad to see everyone that posted their scores in this thread except me using Windows 10...you guys need to turn in your [H] card :(

Black-Guy-Meme-Question-Marks-01.jpg

So using the latest OS is -S-oft? buying an OS that represents an ACTUAL improvement to all previous versions is -S-oft?

I updated and re-ran the test but it did not pick up my SLI...

sad face.

I don't care what I do Cageymaru, my scores don't come close to yours. Clock doesn't seem to affect the outcome either, from 1050 to 1130 core 1250 to 1350 mem no extra voltage. Something seems off but I cant put my finger on it.

Well I run the Steam Beta client. Maybe the regular client is affecting it in some way? Just go into your Steam settings and under Account you can opt into the Beta client for Steam.

Otherwise I'm just running 16.1.1 drivers for Win 10 64. I even have my Malwarebytes, Origin, Skype, etc running as usual. I exited the AMD Gaming Evolved app as it sometimes tries to hook into my apps.

Here are my settings if it helps. My card is one of the worst overclockers on the planet, so I have to increase the voltage a ton to get this out of it. I use the +100 Core voltage and the +100 on the Aux voltage to get stable.

upload_2016-2-24_20-10-29.png
MSI Afterburner.png

Well I run the Steam Beta client. Maybe the regular client is affecting it in some way? Just go into your Steam settings and under Account you can opt into the Beta client for Steam.

Otherwise I'm just running 16.1.1 drivers for Win 10 64. I even have my Malwarebytes, Origin, Skype, etc running as usual. I exited the AMD Gaming Evolved app as it sometimes tries to hook into my apps.
Thx maybe the beta. Outside of that I run 16Gb ram @1600 not 1866 like you. I have HDD no SSD. And 290 mem 1350 not 1550 like yours (haven't tried higher Elpida memory on mine). 8350 @4.6Ghz 2530CPUNB. So you can see why I say our systems are quite similar.

According to AMD, a R9 390 should score a 7.0 and a R9 390x should score a 7.8. The chart is listed here in this article.
Valve Releases SteamVR Performance Test - Is Your Rig Ready? | PC Perspective

Also AMD released new Crimson Edition 16.2 Hotfix drivers for the benchmark and Ashes of the Singularity tweaks. Has Crossfire profiles for some upcoming games. Maybe this will fix everyone's issues?
Desktop

Here are the Release Notes for the new drivers.
AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2

Last edited:
Had some fun and tried 1140 / 1550 on the old R9 290 with the new drivers. /yawn :)

upload_2016-2-25_2-1-24.png

R9 290 Stock w/ Gelid Icy Vision Rev 2
5820K @ 4.5GHz
DDR4 2750

upload_2016-2-25_21-27-30.png

I'll have updated benchmark results once I install the newly arrived 980 Ti

16.2 drivers and my Average Fidelity went up .1 in both single and CF modes. Interestingly, I noticed that I had a CPU bound frame...even though I have an above spec processor...

VRReadySingle02252016.JPG
VRReadyDual02252016.JPG

Benchmark on system in sig hit 11.0 with 13221 frames tested. I didn't have time to post the snip, but I'll do it later.
It ran fine for me with G-Sync on, too, even with V-Sync cap on. But I don't have windowed G-Sync enabled. The benchmark hit around 190 FPS at its peak.

Back