Starfield

You can power level like crazy at the industrial workbench so I guess I will put all my hoarded crafting materials to use.

At about 100 hours now. Still enjoying it.

However, I don't think this will ever be a Skyrim for me. I'm enjoying Starfield more than Fallout 4, but something about Skyrim just has me coming back. Might mostly be the soundtrack though TBH.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 have outstanding soundtracks - especially the Far Harbor soundtrack. I enjoy listening to those while working. Starfield's is good to very good but I'm not wowed by it.

Otherwise, I'm up to level 16. The game runs well at 3840x1600, all high settings. Cities rarely yield brief but noticeable framerate drops. Haven't noticed any issues elsewhere. This is on a 5950X, 64GB DDR4-4000, 1TB SN850 SSD, and 4080.

Only encountered one bug, the old ranger on the hospital space station wouldn't get out of his chair to walk me somewhere but I found an easy workaround on Reddit.

The game has made me lol multiple times.

Overall, I'm really enjoying Starfield!

Definitely feeling this now:

View: https://youtu.be/a_lu152g5aM

Constant loading and fast travel screens to accomplish tasks is greatly detracting from the gameplay. Also doing some kind of espionage quest line currently. No one cares where you go. Just stroll into a corporate HQ, walk past security into the CEO's office etc, steal/hack whatever you want in plain sight and walk out without anyone even batting an eye. Same with just stealing half the crap in stores.

Need to just stick to completing the main quest and faction story lines or I'll probably end up stop playing.

Worst part is they plan to use this engine for TES VI in ~2028?

Constant loading and fast travel screens to accomplish tasks is greatly detracting from the gameplay. Also doing some kind of espionage quest line currently. No one cares where you go. Just stroll into a corporate HQ, walk past security into the CEO's office etc, steal/hack whatever you want in plain sight and walk out without anyone even batting an eye. Same with just stealing half the crap in stores.

Need to just stick to completing the main quest and faction story lines or I'll probably end up stop playing.

Did you ever play any previous Bethesda games? Skyrim, fallout, morrowind played just like this. So, this is the norm for these type of games from them.

Did you ever play any previous Bethesda games? Skyrim, fallout, morrowind played just like this. So, this is the norm for these type of games from them.
Do you talk to NPCs and give you a drop down menu of responses? That a thing here? I've never cared for that in the other games because I always thought I'd have a better outcome if I chose a different answer. So I'd be bouncing back and forth any time I spoke to an NPC.

This is what happens when people praise mediocrity. And then you have the faithful attacking anybody for pointing it out. Look at the brainlets attacking Eurogamer for giving an honest review of the game.
So we shouldn't expect Bethesda to make any progress in their game systems after 21 years? The Bethesda brand of RPG was getting tired when Fallout 4 came out, and they made it worse by dumbing down all the RPG mechanics.

This is what happens when people praise mediocrity. And then you have the faithful attacking anybody for pointing it out. Look at the brainlets attacking Eurogamer for giving an honest review of the game.

So we shouldn't expect Bethesda to make any progress in their game systems after 21 years? The Bethesda brand of RPG was getting tired when Fallout 4 came out, and they made it worse by dumbing down all the RPG mechanics.
I do agree with you, but at the same time I know quite a few people did not expect progress. Deep down this game is just Fallout in space. Now, There are issues with the game no doubt. But, the more you play it the more you see that this is a normal Bethesda RPG.

Just lost an hour of progress due to irrepairable bugs with the quest "Ground Pounder".
I tried googling fixes but just found people with a dozen other issues on the same quest. Strong avoid.

edit: I will actually lose about 4 hours of gameplay to roll back so I guess it will sit broken in my quest log for now.

Last edited:
Just lost an hour of progress due to irrepairable bugs with the quest "Ground Pounder".
I tried googling fixes but just found people with a dozen other issues on the same quest. Strong avoid.

Odd. I played through that quest without a single problem.

I find it strange that quest issues like these are not the same for all people. Maybe it depends on equipment you have, levels you have, companion you have with you, or something like that?

Only problem I had with "ground pounder" was...
...that my ship and my ship skills at the time were woefully unprepared for the space combat portion of it.

But that wasn't a bug, just me getting in over my head.

The only real bug I've had in this game thus far in ~60 hours of gameplay is that for no reason out of nowhere "UC Navy" were red when I came across them, and attacked on sight. I hadn't done anyhting to upset the UC in my playthrough, and the funny part was it only impacted "UC Navy" vessels, not "UC Vanguard", "UC Sysdef" or "UC Security".

Only way I found to fix it was a console command I found online:

player.paycrimegold 0 0 0005BD93

This console command is apparently considered a "console cheat" though, so its one of those that disables achievements. I've put in some 20 hours since I issued the command, and just noticed a little while ago that no new achievements were registering.

I don't really care about the achievements though, so I guess it is not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Turns out there's a bug that prevents ships from spawning enemies, both boarded in space or when they land on a planet.
Bug is permanent unless you start NG+.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16f6t3g/npcs_not_spawning_on_planets_or_ships/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16ctp1a/bug_empty_enemy_ships/

I first noticed it happening after I met the starborn a few days ago. I was wondering why their ships were empty.

Hmm. I've pretty much stopped boarding ships, so I haven't seen this. Turns out after registration fees there is only a pittance to be made from selling them, so destroying them has been worth more from the perspective of unlocking my characters ship skills.

I've only run into the one starborn ship thus far (the first one), and when I knocked out its engine, I wasn't able to dock with it. The boarding button never popped up after I disabled the ship.

I think I have boarded ships with no one on board, but I also remember reading that critical hits during battle can kill all the crew, and I guessed something like that had happened (one would expect to find bodies, but I don't know how perfect the game is in that regard)

Early in the game (~level 8) I did board and seize a ship (which I in highly modified form am still using) and there were NPC's on board, but that wasn't just a combat ship I encountered. It was a random "sensor contact" ship event with a distress call from a captain being boarded by spacers or pirates (can't remember which) (and by the time I got there and cleared them out, the spacers had already killed the crew)

I'll have to board some ships from actual random combat and see if there are any NPC's on board.

One of the things I like about using Games Pass is the ability to go between platforms which allows you to bypass some of the bugs based on the way they save their games slightly different.

Last edited:
Total garbage on gamepass for PC, will not let you save key bindings or graphics settings. Uninstalled useless game. Runs fine FPS wise on a 3080 @ 1440 p. Not doing the notepad editing and locking of config file shit.

Total garbage on gamepass for PC, will not let you save key bindings or graphics settings. Uninstalled useless game. Runs fine FPS wise on a 3080 @ 1440 p. Not doing the notepad editing and locking of config file shit.
It's saving everything perfectly fine on Game Pass, for me. The game crashes when I try to toggle V-Sync with the DLSS mod installed, is the only issue I've had, so I turned it off in the .ini file instead.

Oh yes.

Started with Oblivion. After FO3, swore I wouldn't get another one of their games until they made an entirely new engine or something drastically changed. Skyrim, FO4, and SF later...still a glutton for disappointment I guess. Sucks when other developers have made massive strides throughout their releases, and Bethesda is just stuck in the past. Only get away with it because we keep buying it :(.

That's why I described the Bethesda as being like the Mcdonald's of video game developers. Incredibly wealthy, massive budget to play with, great marketing and hype but they are satisfied churning out mediocre product without innovating their own formula.

Oh yes.

Started with Oblivion. After FO3, swore I wouldn't get another one of their games until they made an entirely new engine or something drastically changed. Skyrim, FO4, and SF later...still a glutton for disappointment I guess. Sucks when other developers have made massive strides throughout their releases, and Bethesda is just stuck in the past. Only get away with it because we keep buying it :(.
I don't think it is that bad. Sure other devs may take 10 steps forward when Bethesda takes 5 forward then 3 back. But they do make some improvements.
I've enjoyed most of the quest this time around. The main one is typical for them but the faction quest were great. Combat is better. It is less buggy compared to previous ones.
Too me they are slightly above average and the mods make the games great. I'm fine with that formula.

That's why I described the Bethesda as being like the Mcdonald's of video game developers. Incredibly wealthy, massive budget to play with, great marketing and hype but they are satisfied churning out mediocre product without innovating their own formula.
Ubisoft is the mcdonalds of game developers.
Say what you want about bethesda but nobody else makes games like them.

I don't think it is that bad. Sure other devs may take 10 steps forward when Bethesda takes 5 forward then 3 back. But they do make some improvements.
I've enjoyed most of the quest this time around. The main one is typical for them but the faction quest were great. Combat is better. It is less buggy compared to previous ones.
Too me they are slightly above average and the mods make the games great. I'm fine with that formula.
Combat is absolutely better than all prior games with this one. Yes - it doesn't have VATS anymore, but that's largely due to them fixing how guns feel and general hit detection. Apparently, they got some assist from iD to improve the shooting feel, and I think it shows.

does the game give you the ability to fully remap all controls (kb/m)?

I ahve not come across any controls that cannot be remapped. There are A LOT of controls in this game though. It will take a little time to get custom controls right (and not interfering with each other)

Having spent some more time in game, I can better answer this question now.

So while most things can be remapped and bound as you please, I have found one key that can't.

That is the "hold your breath" key when aiming with a scoped rifle. it seems to only work on left shift.

Might be able to be rebound in config file, but it can't be rebound from the settings menu.

I might just remap it using something like sharpkeys. I use a rather unusual keyboard map by modern standards (It is closer to the old school quake mappings, using arrow keys on the right side of the keyboard for navigation, enter for use, and remapping all other keys to keys near the arrow keys, so left shift is completely impossible for me to use for that purpose.

Haven't had a single issue on my end outside of the vsync crash.

Haven't had a single issue on my end outside of the vsync crash.

That's the part that is really interesting about this title.

I mean it happens with every piece of software, but it seems like - more than with most titles - different people are having very different experiences with Starfleld.

I wonder why that is.

Combat is absolutely better than all prior games with this one. Yes - it doesn't have VATS anymore, but that's largely due to them fixing how guns feel and general hit detection. Apparently, they got some assist from iD to improve the shooting feel, and I think it shows.
Certainly makes sense. Swore I was getting a Q3 vibe with the combat, which ain't a bad thing.

what about the mouse buttons?...can I remap most actions to all 5 mouse buttons?

I've only tried to map mouse1, mouse2, mouse3 and that has worked fine for me.

The game doesn't appear to have a current/previous weapon dynamic, so I haven't bound the scroll wheel to anything, so I couldn't tell you if the scroll wheel is bindable, but I think it must be.

Also have not tried my two side buttons (forward/back) as I am not a huge fan of these buttons. I run rather high sensitivity by modern standards (what used to be approximately standard sensitivity back in the Quake days, from center position, as far as I can move my mouse, without moving my forearm or taking my wrist off the table, to one side or the other, is 180 degree rotation) so trying to press the side buttons causes the mouse to move sideways, which I find undesirable.

No idea if they are mappable. I presume they are? I can't test right now, but I might later.

Some remnant of VATS still exists, just not in FPS combat.

The Tracking mode in space ship combat appears to at least draw some inspiration from VATS, slowing things down a little. and allowing you to set different ship systems as targets.

I usually use it for two reasons, to unlock skill levels that require ship kills in tracking mode, AND to help slow down time a little bit, so I notice and don't forget to use ship repair parts and blow up.

It is also useful if you want to knock out engines and dock a ship to take it.

I was hoping I could find the Bethesda office on earth kind of like FO3. Also maybe finding a destroyed Todd Howard statue and bug worship cult that prays for his enternal destruction.

I wonder if it ever occurred to Bethesda that fighting a bunch of different human factions all feel the same.
Spacer, pirate, crimson? They're all just dudes in space suits, I can never tell who I'm shooting at. The game has like 5 enemy types total.

They really should have dropped the whole "realistic" thing and added alien races like ME. I guess it would have been too much work, or they were worried about being called an ME ripoff.

So many lazy aspects of this game, I find myself constantly wondering wtf Bethesda has been doing the last 8 years. Is it really that hard to write a bunch of dialog? Because that's all I can really see. Outposts are worse, crafting is worse, the map/UI/quest log is worse. Why are there so many downgrades in this game. I thought stuff was supposed to get better, not worse.

I find that I encounter far more bugs on my desktop than on my laptop for whatever reason. It really is pretty crazy we're playing a game on this engine in 2023, though I can't say I'm not enjoying myself. One complaint I have is that I don't think there are enough hostiles in general, you can play this game for hours and never encounter anything to shoot, and shooting things I enjoy quite a lot here.

edit: I will actually lose about 4 hours of gameplay to roll back so I guess it will sit broken in my quest log for now.
That sucks, just went thru that flawlessly.

I find that I encounter far more bugs on my desktop than on my laptop for whatever reason. It really is pretty crazy we're playing a game on this engine in 2023, though I can't say I'm not enjoying myself. One complaint I have is that I don't think there are enough hostiles in general, you can play this game for hours and never encounter anything to shoot, and shooting things I enjoy quite a lot here.

I did some story and side quests early game with some epic battles, but mid game (i presume I must be at mid game at this point) - for me - it has indeed slowed down considerably.

I haven't joined any of the other factions though. There are quite a few of them in addition to Constellation, maybe you get more battles if you join one?
  • Constellation
  • United Colonies
  • Freestar Collective
  • Crimson Fleet
  • Ryujin Industries
  • House of the Enlightened
  • Sanctum Universum
  • The Va'ruun
  • Either of the gangs on Neon
  • Mercenary groups
  • Trade Authority
  • Trackers
  • Galbank
  • and many more depending on where the blurred lines between larger side quests and factions start/end.

I'm not sure what I want to do personally.

I general terms, I probably wouldn't like any story or side quest that would cause Sarah Morgan to "dislike that". Though she seems more into UC than I am. Not because of any particular appreciation for Sarah Morgan, but rather because that's just the kind of character I like playing. Always good, always beyond reproach, no grey zones.

I guess that is just my personality. I don't like even playing or fantasizing about doing anything I would find objectionable in real life :p So, no criminal activity (unless against a corrupt/criminal/evil regime), no hurting innocents, no fighting for "bad guys". :p

I always play as a "good guy" in every game I play. If that isn't an option, I usually don't play a game at all. I have no interest in playing as anything but a law abiding good citizen. I don't smuggle, I jettison all contraband I come across, and I always do my best to help and/or avoid harming innocents. I didn't even like that one main story mission where with Stroud on Neon you had to kill innocent security guards working for a rival corp to get your ship released.

So, playing the Crimson Fleet quests is straight out (even though I have heard they are some of the best in the game), as is supporting either of the Neon gangs. I guess I could do the UC or Freestar quests, but they seem so political (hippie libertarian vs civilized control). I don't know enough about Ryujin Industries yet, but they are giving me serious evil corp vibes, so I'll probably avoid them as well.

This kind of limits the many choices.

A quest series I would love to take on would be if you could start a revolution on Neon to take down the corrupt government there. Now that's the kind of quest I would love. And who knows, maybe it is in the game, but I just haven't come across it yet. (don't spoil it if this does happen :p )

As far as bugs go, I mist be one of th eluckier players. As previously mentioned I've only come across one thus far (UC Navy inexplicably being hostile and always attacking) which I was able to solve with a console command, but it counted as a "cheat" and disabled all my achievements.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I finally hit a quest breaking bug. Supposed to follow someone but the dude never gets oit of his chair.

I finally hit a quest breaking bug. Supposed to follow someone but the dude never gets oit of his chair.

I'm going to be honest here.

I'm not thrilled with the system performance of this title, but from a quest perspective it is remarkably low on bugs compared to other recent releases.

I've played other similar games years after release, and some of them have still had a few sprinklings of these types of quest bugs in them AFTER they are done with all the patching.

I think it is evident they tried to refine this pretty well before launch, which is admirable. (its sad that this is noteworthy, but it is true)

I'm going to be honest here.

I'm not thrilled with the system performance of this title, but from a quest perspective it is remarkably low on bugs compared to other recent releases.

I've played other similar games years after release, and some of them have still had a few sprinklings of these types of quest bugs in them AFTER they are done with all the patching.

I think it is evident they tried to refine this pretty well before launch, which is admirable. (its sad that this is noteworthy, but it is true)

Part of a main quest also. I havent had any issues other wise.

Back