Starcraft II

I read your post and it's still very confusing.

I am in Bronze league, and it's putting me against near-the-top Gold players (I am #6 in Bronze though..). I faced one player today with a 51-34 record who was Gold (who I beat btw. :D)! I guessed it was just because of the time of night, but when I read your post, it looks otherwise. Do you know when you advance leagues? It seems I've been stuck in Bronze, even though since I've been in bronze league, I've only lost a couple games, and won a handful. If I'm playing against higher rated Gold people, shouldn't it advance me to Gold?

Thanks for your explanations and help, Intel. Helps everyone around here out. :)

I suspect it is testing you some more before it bumps you up. How many games total have you played? My friends that went from platinum to diamond had to play quite a bit (at least 50 games or so I think) before they were promoted.

Does competition get better later in the night? Or are my skills just deteriorating as I get more tired?

I went 7-0 yesterday afternoon (2 to 5 with a couple custom games mixed in) and pretty much dominated every game, whether it was against platinum or diamond players in 1v1. I got on later that night from about 11 to 2 and played some 2v2 and 3v3 with some buddies and I think we went 1-5 and the ones we lost weren't even close. My friends are good players too. Is it stiffer competition after 10pm?

Battle.net 2.0 is awesome. It matches arranged team players with random team players.

wait..

nvm

nah as you approach late night to early morning
only the hardcore players from plat to diamond are playing
like earlier the morning only diamond players are playing
it is so fun when blizzard mark me as silver when every night I get to play plat and diamond players and I bat .600 when I win I get +35 pts but when I lose I get -10 pts it is awesome that means I will always be kept down so fun to be graded certain way and never ever jump or move up faster I have played about 75 games now.:rolleyes:

nah as you approach late night to early morning
only the hardcore players from plat to diamond are playing
like earlier the morning only diamond players are playing
it is so fun when blizzard mark me as silver when every night I get to play plat and diamond players and I bat .600 when I win I get +35 pts but when I lose I get -10 pts it is awesome that means I will always be kept down so fun to be graded certain way and never ever jump or move up faster I have played about 75 games now.:rolleyes:

oh and I have never ever played a bronze/ silver/ gold player yet in any of my matchups.

I read your post and it's still very confusing.

I am in Bronze league, and it's putting me against near-the-top Gold players (I am #6 in Bronze though..). I faced one player today with a 51-34 record who was Gold (who I beat btw. :D)! I guessed it was just because of the time of night, but when I read your post, it looks otherwise. Do you know when you advance leagues? It seems I've been stuck in Bronze, even though since I've been in bronze league, I've only lost a couple games, and won a handful. If I'm playing against higher rated Gold people, shouldn't it advance me to Gold?

Thanks for your explanations and help, Intel. Helps everyone around here out. :)

What's your record?

I know for diamond promotion you generally need at least 25 games, commonly around 30.

For the lower divisions if you win A LOT you will promote quickly but I don't think it's uncommon to play a lot of games before getting promoted.

I actually placed in bronze in one of my 3v3 teams with a 3-2 record with some friends. We're 17-4 now and rank 1 in gold. We're guessing we'll get around 30 games and go straight to diamond or get into platinum soon. It seems that if your goal is diamond it doesn't actually matter where you place... 25-30 games later you'll be diamond if you deserve it.

I know a lot of people feel like *all they play* is diamond / plat players... but you have to really pay attention to that especially for team games. Make sure the team that you just beat is actually diamond or plat rather than having one or two diamond / plat players that aren't even diamond or plat in the team you just beat / lost to. Pay close attention to who you beat / lose from now on.

Right now 3v3 and 4v4 have very *few* diamond players compared to 1v1 and 2v2 due to the sheer amount of games it requires to place into diamond and the larger formats being generally less active.

I just picked up the CE at walmart, cant wait to check it out.

Just bought the game.

Can anyone recommend a site/page that has counters? Something I can print? I've done a few challenges, but I have the memory of a goldfish. Would be nice to have a printout of units and their counters.

Just bought the game.

Can anyone recommend a site/page that has counters? Something I can print? I've done a few challenges, but I have the memory of a goldfish. Would be nice to have a printout of units and their counters.

There's an in game list of units under help (f12) that lists what they're strong and weak against. It's not definitive but it gives you an idea. If you don't know right off the bat just check their armor type and what bonus damage they have.

Just bought the game.

I keed, I keed. :)

What's your record?

My record is only 9-6. 4 or 5 of those losses are from the placement matches. I'd think after 8 or 9 wins and only a couple losses, it would advance me to the next league (counting wins and losses AFTER the practice league). I think maybe it did (since I've been playing Gold players), but it just doesn't show it.

Im in gold league with about a .55 ratio of win/lose

Gold league seems to do placement matches fairly well. Im not the best 1v1 but ive had some great matches

My record is only 9-6. 4 or 5 of those losses are from the placement matches. I'd think after 8 or 9 wins and only a couple losses, it would advance me to the next league (counting wins and losses AFTER the practice league). I think maybe it did (since I've been playing Gold players), but it just doesn't show it.

That's not enough games to advance at all. Just keep playing. 15 games in the grand scheme of things is really low.

Hey can anyone share me there replay for the Tarsonis campaign (The Great Train Robbery). Preferrably somewhere at the begining of the game. It seems when I try to load this mission it crashes to the Windows 7 desktop. I've tried re-installing the game, but I'm still getting the same error on the same mission.

Thanks in advance.

have you tried using the amd hotfix?

i used to crash on that level anywhere from a few secs of loading to a few minutes.

i'm running an HD 5770 1gb card.

no crashes and game runs great after that hotfix

have you tried using the amd hotfix?

i used to crash on that level anywhere from a few secs of loading to a few minutes.

i'm running an HD 5770 1gb card.

no crashes and game runs great after that hotfix

Could you give me a link to the hot fix? :D

TBH, my google skills aren't as good as I though. :(

BTW, I'm currently using 10.3 drivers for my 4670.

EDIT: Just to be on the safe side, did you mean this fix? http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICat107aBetaDriver.aspx

Last edited:
Maybe try 10.4a? I think a lot of people find that driver to be the most stable. Also worth giving directxwebsetup a try to upgrade your DirectX.

I keed, I keed. :)

Haha, ah, if only. :)

Mass stalkers with blink and upgrades seem to be a simpler and more effective "all-in" build for Protoss unless you have over three bases. Getting mass void rays with the speed boost and air upgrades is pretty awesome though, its just the getting there that can be troublesome.

That's not enough games to advance at all. Just keep playing. 15 games in the grand scheme of things is really low.

Any idea how many games you have to lose on average to get dropped to lower divisions? My pain in Platinum is already starting so I want an idea of how many ass beatings I'm going to have to take before I'm in a division where I belong.

we lost 10 straight yesterday.

I'm on four straight (3 this morning) and they haven't been pretty. I suppose upon further review I've decided that 2 of my 3 losses this morning could have been wins had I used a better game plan. My problem is I flat out suck versus Zerg no matter what. :(

Still starting to regret not throwing my placement matches. Thanks Blizzard for not allowing us to reset our stats. :mad:

I was on the receiving end of some insane Zerg micro last night. Involved mass queens and infestors.

Don't remember the map name, but it was a 4-player map that looked like it would be on Shakuras. The center is elevated and split in the middle by a narrow pass with xel naga towers on both sides. The elevated portions are also enriched mineral deposits.

Anyhow, it was Zerg (me) and Protoss vs. Zerg Zerg. Game went for an agonizing 46 minutes... I opened up with 6 pool, then immediately sent 6 lings and rushed the nearest Zerg (purple). One of them drone (teal) scouted my friend's base, but had he scouted me, the would've seen the spawning pool being built. So lucky. First guy didn't stand a chance, I managed to take out his pool while it was being built, then he used drones to gang up on my lings. Before the last ling died, I spotted a mass of zerglings headed out, so I built 3 spine crawlers, which totally paid off when the counter strike arrived.

My toss buddy and I stayed committed to harassing the purple zerg, so I kept sending packs of 6 lings at a time before his ally (teal) stepped in with a mess of roaches. I had a misstep by teching to roaches myself at that point and decided to go with mutas after. Since the teal zerg had a garrison at purple's base, we decided to alternate attacks between the two.

Kind of a mistake, the teal zerg was a microing machine. He had maybe 6 or 7 queens and was constantly transfusing them to fend off my mutas. I turned tail and ran, then sent banelings instead. Paid off handsomely, came back with a gang of zealots and mutas before a massive amount of infested terran eggs started shooting out of the ground. Mother f@#%! I ran my mutas out AGAIN, but my friend never saw infestors before, so his entire zealot army was taken out.

Half the game went this way, instant infested marine armies would burst from the ground and I'd burrow, kite, and wait for them to suicide then come back or unburrow before finally sending over seers to wipe em out.

Jerks stuck it out to the very end though. Almost got an expo up, while I had 4 and my ally had 3. They should have GG'ed a long time ago.

I'm on four straight (3 this morning) and they haven't been pretty. I suppose upon further review I've decided that 2 of my 3 losses this morning could have been wins had I used a better game plan. My problem is I flat out suck versus Zerg no matter what. :(

Still starting to regret not throwing my placement matches. Thanks Blizzard for not allowing us to reset our stats. :mad:

yeah it is totally fun to be kicked and kept down in gold top #5 and ONLY PLAY AGAINST diamond and plat and lose 10 straight and lost about 150pts, so fun thanks blizzard your expanded ai matchmaking is awesome then again my teammates never build some sort of detectors, or terrans never have scans ready or teammates have no units in the 5 mins mark or telling me to build units to rush when they are building cannons in their bases thinking cannons can unburrow or something so fun or being rayrushed and never have turrets and building massive immortals vs. rays awesome

I wonder if I get achievements or icons for losing 20 straight?
and we only win when I double or triple the other team's score

4 out of the 10 games we lost straight yesterday I had the overwhelming dominate #1 score

we lost because my so called teammates had no units in 5 mins and everyone went air instead of ground and I am suppose to cover their bases while in charge of the offensive to the enemy oh and they like pretty costly units like thors and immortals high teching and their expansions never have any type of d what so ever and when enemy attacks lets not move their workers away lets run towards them to get killed yay

and we only win when I double or triple the other team's score

Only once, did I ever have a decent teammate in 2v2. All other times, I already was 1v2 (effectively) and in the postgame, easily outmined, outgunned, and outscored both players combined, of the other team...

It makes this game very boring for me, right now.

Oh, well, my guest pass expired a bit :p

4 out of the 10 games we lost straight yesterday I had the overwhelming dominate #1 score

we lost because my so called teammates had no units in 5 mins and everyone went air instead of ground and I am suppose to cover their bases while in charge of the offensive to the enemy oh and they like pretty costly units like thors and immortals high teching and their expansions never have any type of d what so ever and when enemy attacks lets not move their workers away lets run towards them to get killed yay

DON'T move your workers to attack, otherwise, when your reinforcement arrive, the enemy unit AI will not auto target your troops, but will keep on killing your workers (since if they attack, they are reguarded as an enemy).

QQ moar nub.

..just kiddii!!!! Why don't you either (1) team up with friends that CAN play or (2) stick to 1v1 where the only person you can blame/celebrate is yourself?

^^

QQ moar nub.

..just kiddii!!!! Why don't you either (1) team up with friends that CAN play or (2) stick to 1v1 where the only person you can blame is yourself?

I dunno, I was playing on the Taiwan server (I was in China the past week, did you know Taiwan has a 30-60 day free "guest pass" for everybody?), and it would only assign me to 2v2, despite what I chose. I can read the traditional text, so I am certain I wasn't selecting the wrong options.... :(

QQ moar nub.

..just kiddii!!!! Why don't you either (1) team up with friends that CAN play or (2) stick to 1v1 where the only person you can blame/celebrate is yourself?

yeah I am about to go to solo on my own now
we need to have a hardocp sc2 clan or something haha

Any idea how many games you have to lose on average to get dropped to lower divisions? My pain in Platinum is already starting so I want an idea of how many ass beatings I'm going to have to take before I'm in a division where I belong.

Honestly, I have no idea. It wasn't very many games in beta - I had a friend drop TWO divisions within 10-15 games (platinum to silver).

I haven't had any personal experience with it other than that... and I've seen threads on various forums where people have gone on 15+ game losing streaks and haven't been demoted.

If anybody wants to play or practice, feel free to add me. Im at the platinum league trying to step up my game to get to diamond.

Add me: Thumper (280)

If anybody wants to play or practice, feel free to add me. Im at the platinum league trying to step up my game to get to diamond.

Add me: Thumper (280)

What race do you play? I'm platinum Protoss and want to practice my PvT against bioball. SLCPUNK(#895)

Man.. almost done with the single player campaign on brutal.. 21/26 so far. Once I finish that up, I'll step into multiplayer. I know if I go multiplayer now, I'll never finish the campaign.. lol.

Man.. almost done with the single player campaign on brutal.. 21/26 so far. Once I finish that up, I'll step into multiplayer. I know if I go multiplayer now, I'll never finish the campaign.. lol.

There's 29 if you want kerrigan.

Slicing through a bunch of AT's cut my way to diamond 4v4 :D It seems that every team I get in 4v4 is AT now.

Next gotta jump from plat 3v3 to diamond :D

Back