Starcraft 2 Beta

Is psionic storm a viable counter to MMM blobs?

It can do really well but psionic storm is 100% micro intensive and a stimmed blob (supported with medivacs) is way too fast for psionic storm to do any real damage. It wouldn't have helped with the game I mentioned before unless we timed it perfectly. Terran wall-ins are soo annoying.

Is psionic storm a viable counter to MMM blobs?

Hell yes, the problem is you would need to position them in a way were they don't get raped so easily. Although I would rather build 2 DTS with 2/0 upgrades over 4 HTS with no mana for storm when they initially warp in.

DTS at 2/0 upgrades is 45 dmg and at 3/0 60 dmg

Hell yes, the problem is you would need to position them in a way were they don't get raped so easily. Although I would rather build 2 DTS with 2/0 upgrades over 4 HTS with no mana for storm when they initially warp in.

DTS at 2/0 upgrades is 45 dmg and at 3/0 60 dmg

I feel the same way, especailly if you scout terran using mules. I like to make 3 or 4 and split them between the mineral lines, certain buildings, and his army. He cant scan all 4 locations at once and if you time with mule drops he wont have any energy anyways.

Having a hard time vs the new Thors. They bunch up so well, I can't touch them with lings. What the hell am I supposed to do? :( I can't get infestors quite early enough.

also, very depressed because plat is a totally new game.

also, getting better very quickly :p

Last edited:
The problem with storm is ghost EMP. Then you're forced to fuse archon which isn't very good against MM due to concussive shot.

The problem with storm is ghost EMP. Then you're forced to fuse archon which isn't very good against MM due to concussive shot.

The other problem is that it looks like someone is taking an electric shit when you cast it. That and it just doesn't seem to do a ton of damage to quickly moving units.

I had a similar experience last night. I applied a lot of pressure to a zerg player in a 1v1 game on a 4 player map while expanding pretty aggressively. We had several back and forth battles in the middle of the map until I finally gained the upper hand, set up 2 pylons in a very forward location, and started pumping out guys through about 8 warp gateways. Right before I launched myself into his base a nydus worm popped up in mine and we literally started destroying each other's mains at the same time. The only thing that saved me was that I had expanded to several different locations and he had not. He eventually set up a vespene extractor in my main to try to buy himself some more time so I had to wade through is whole army to actually win, but it was pretty satisfying.

I'm really enjoying the game a lot.

I watched a friends replay of a 2v2 he did with a bunch of his friends. P&T v Z&P. The game was wild. By the time it was half over only my friend (playing the P of the P&T team) was the only person still in their original base. Everyone else pretty much ended up shifting to the left a couple resource fields because of hits on their main locations. Of course since my friends base survived the longest he ended up the most powerful and wiped the other team out, but it was just amazing to watch the ebb and flow of the game. Heck, within the first 10 minutes the T player was kicked out of his base and had to retreat to where he and my friend could better protect each other.

just played 2's with my friend against this guy who lags really hard and my commands wouldnt register, really gay way to lose a game

Seems like most platinum players should actually be gold players. With this all of these new people playing it seems like platinum has got a bit soft. I used to struggle in it, and now it seems pretty even for me in almost every game. I haven't gotten that much better, I just think the skill level has decreased.

Seems like most platinum players should actually be gold players. With this all of these new people playing it seems like platinum has got a bit soft. I used to struggle in it, and now it seems pretty even for me in almost every game. I haven't gotten that much better, I just think the skill level has decreased.

Or you are matched according to original intent, fighting against some around your level, not above it.

Admit it, you like walking/jogging/running up inclines! What you want to face off against is a diamond league player.

Is it youtube that is slow with video feeding from higher quality streams, or is it my isp (time warner) artificially slowing my downloads?

try and play this youtube video on 1080p and see if you can get it to run with no pauses, same with 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlpJGlGRIE

What is the point of adding such higher quality video options if it won't download fast enough?

Is it youtube that is slow with video feeding from higher quality streams, or is it my isp (time warner) artificially slowing my downloads?

try and play this youtube video on 1080p and see if you can get it to run with no pauses, same with 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlpJGlGRIE

What is the point of adding such higher quality video options if it won't download fast enough?

I don't even bother since I know my craptastic connection can't handle anything above 480p.

I'm sitting on a 6 mbps line (the best this podunk South Carolina town offers).

There are a lot of new players due to the pre-order beta key deal. Rankings are a relative system. With more new players obviously you would be relatively better even if you yourself haven't gotten better at all. Also, an inactive ladder will always be a meaningless ladder. There are plenty of people in platinum who just played their 5 placement games and never played anymore or maybe 1 or 2 more games. I feel that at release there will likely be more than 5 placement games like before, or an implementation of decay to combat stagnation and rank camping.

Time to sleep, just had one of those crappy nights. I usually like to scout the opponent and counter whatever he is doing rather than just having a specific build order in mind. Tried something different in my first game tonight, lost, then it went down hill from there... lost 4 of 5 and just now wanted to get one game in before heading to bed and I get dropped?! FUUUUUUUUUU

I just did a 2v2 custom game, pugging, and it was double zerg oppo so I went to drop a rax in his base just in case. He let down a depot, and I built it, then attacked it with an SCV. No response to chat, so I lifted off, no change so I made a marine and killed the SCV, then his marines attacked. So I left.

It's been a while but that's a first for me in RTS, he was completely deranged. If there's a surefire way to slash a good game by the Achilles tendon it's limit it to MP and have bad players. And I know this is beta but what's funny is I'm sure beta WoW had a lot of "single-player" testing, just small quests PvE. SC2 is actually concentrating the dependency on other players, with the MMO being more easy-going and has more solitude.

I just did a 2v2 custom game, pugging, and it was double zerg oppo so I went to drop a rax in his base just in case. He let down a depot, and I built it, then attacked it with an SCV. No response to chat, so I lifted off, no change so I made a marine and killed the SCV, then his marines attacked. So I left.

It's been a while but that's a first for me in RTS, he was completely deranged. If there's a surefire way to slash a good game by the Achilles tendon it's limit it to MP and have bad players. And I know this is beta but what's funny is I'm sure beta WoW had a lot of "single-player" testing, just small quests PvE. SC2 is actually concentrating the dependency on other players, with the MMO being more easy-going and single-player.

Wow. I barely followed your post. You did a 2v2 custom game... with people you didn't know. What did you expect?

Also, you were facing double zerg... but you dropped a rax in 'his' - your partner's (?)... base, 'just in case'? You were both terran I guess... but I don't follow the reasoning behind building a rax in his base...? Go play ladder? If you don't want to depend on other people, play 1v1? Not very many serious / people who know what they're doing are going to play a custom pub game.

I don't think 2v2 custom pub games are going to be the achilles tendon of sc2. :rolleyes:

Time to sleep, just had one of those crappy nights. I usually like to scout the opponent and counter whatever he is doing rather than just having a specific build order in mind. Tried something different in my first game tonight, lost, then it went down hill from there... lost 4 of 5 and just now wanted to get one game in before heading to bed and I get dropped?! FUUUUUUUUUU

Dude I know the feeling, yesterday I got my ass kicked by an early rush because I got lazy and did not scout right away. I was already super frustrated and got dropped the next game!

Or you are matched according to original intent, fighting against some around your level, not above it.

Admit it, you like walking/jogging/running up inclines! What you want to face off against is a diamond league player.

I like playing people that are better than me, yes. I also like winning as well, and enjoy an easy game every now and then. I'm not saying that I love hard matches, I'm saying that the leagues don't have the same difficulty any more due to player saturation. This concept concerns me with the full release right around the corner. I feel like there needs to be more leagues than just five.

There will be a pro league. Right now I think it's not bad, and when full release it'll even itself out

Also, some plat leagues seem easier than others to rank up in, my points in some divisions is considered top 10! LOL!!! Anyhow, it's not so much skill decrease, people adapt to things and they don't know it. I for one think plat league is hard, I've been playing the 1700+ players a lot and it's a struggle but wins do come :)

I really think to gauge your skill in plat, you gotta be able to stay in it for more than just 20 or so games. Most low rating 1300 below usually just got promoted and are still potential gold players

What intel hydralisk said is exactly my thoughts, some people barely play their matches in ladder and just hope to rank camp so to speak, and play a few games hoping to win haha. I'm hoping some day I'll make it into pro league... Gotta keep dreaming!

Last edited:
speaking of leagues... I wonder if your league you settle into after you learn the ins and outs of the game is related to standardized tests.

copper - bronze - silver - gold - platinum

you could set the middle of silver to 1000, edge of platinum to 1600, bottom of copper to 400.

my starcraft ladder ranking?

rank 1 silver. right around the same area as a standardized test score I got on my sats, nothing ultra high, just a bit over one standard deviation above the mean. I don't know man, looks fishy, could starcraft say something else about the players?

que conspiracy theories

Can you guys get into games right now? My friend and I are getting this weird message:

ATTRIBCACHE_NO_GATEWAY

edit: Yup...

Last edited:
is there a way to play against better AI online?

i see there is a way offline, but a friend and I want to go up against medium AI together

I too am having problems playing games. It gives me the error attached_nogateway when I attempt to search for an opponent.

anyone use banelings? i have been using them the past couple of games with great success. :D now that roaches are nerfed they are the only decent thing zerg has left.

Here's a great Q&A with one of the blizzard community managers on the league placement and divisions. I recommend taking a look at it, answers a lot of peoples questions that get asked a lot.

StarCraft 2 Beta Leagues & Ladder FAQ

Edit:Just saw it was posted 2 months ago but everything in it is still valid I believe.

I may have overreacted to the roach change, but it does make sense late game. Early game, Z is just forced into more of a defensive posture than it already is because of the inability to make the same amount roaches. Well, if Z fast expands like pretty much every does nowadays, they're already in a defensive posture anyway, just make a couple more spine crawlers.

I had a ZvP game where I fast expanded, turtled with spine crawlers, and spent my first 100 gas on lair tech so I could get hydras. I still got roaches to stand in front of the hydras because they are still worth it to tank damage while hydras annihilate everything.

Zerg are still viable. I play Zerg + Protoss in 2v2 Gold with my bud. We have been kicking some ass even with the roach nerf. Just gotta scout so you know how to stop them.

Apparently, opt-in beta invites are still going out. I had lost hope at this point, but at 8AM this morning there was an invite sitting in my inbox.

Maybe they've finally gotten around to handing out invites to people with older hardware. I just knew keeping my 7800GTX 512MB around would be good for something. ;)

On another subject, I thought I read a long time ago that you were able to play single player vs the AI (fixed on Very Easy). Did they remove that functionality at some point?

On another subject, I thought I read a long time ago that you were able to play single player vs the AI (fixed on Very Easy). Did they remove that functionality at some point?

Nope, not removed. You have to create a "Custom Game" and add AI to the other team.

I just won 2 matches by rushing with drones at the start of map and attacking the enemy base. This only works as zerg vs protoss or terran though since drones are the strongest workers.

Wow, they didn't micro their drones/scv/probes at all then. Protoss would demolish that attack IMO. Actually.. That attack shouldn't be working :p
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

SCVs are the strongest workers, not drones. Also, that sounds hilarious and absurd.

The Zerg nef is a big deal, but they're still really good. I'm not sure which race is the strongest, but with all the buffs to mech, I'm thinking Terran might have a pretty sizable advantage now.

As of patch 12 my nvidia drivers keep crashing constantly.

Tried several versions, all crash now. Dammit.

Anyone seeing similar? Display corruption and then the driver crashes.

SCVs are the strongest workers, not drones. Also, that sounds hilarious and absurd.

The Zerg nef is a big deal, but they're still really good. I'm not sure which race is the strongest, but with all the buffs to mech, I'm thinking Terran might have a pretty sizable advantage now.

SCV has the lowest health. (as of patch 12, it got nerfed way back, though).

Pro-league or not, I believe most people will participate (at least competitive players) in international leagues like iCCUP.

Back