SS2 on GOG

From what I hear, it should be on Steam sometime soon...immediate purchase

Will buy on a sale...even as good as this game is, I can't bring myself to spend $10 on a game this old.

This is on my "games to play" list. I know its awesome, I've played a couple hours...but my ADD stops me from getting to far because of other shinier games!

This is one reason why I've constituted my "2 games max installed at once" policy. The more games I have installed the more games I never beat. Been working beautifully with LA Noire and Sleeping Dogs so far!

even though I own a cd copy, I'll probably buy just for the ease of install.

best game ever made.

Does this game have support for 7/8 ? Don't want to buy to have it not launch our crash often.

SS2 is one of my all-time favorite games - thanks for posting!

One question though - have there been any user created mods/texture packs/etc for this game? Would love to play it again with better visuals than the original release...

There is a mod called Rebirth that added higher polygon models/textures if I remember correctly. Haven't used it in several years so we'll see if it works with the GOG version :D Can't wait, I lost my ss2 disc years ago :(

The article suggests that Rebirth mod and others will work with the GoG/Steam versions.

I hope that the coop multiplayer mod also works. Terror is a dish for two, after all.

That's great news, this game has been impossible to get for years, I'm glad to see it finally get some distribution. I snagged it a couple years ago when you could get it off of some "abandon-ware" sites, before the content owner let everyone know that it was not, in fact, abandon-ware and it disappeared. Hopefully, the graphics mods work because it sure is dated.

One of the greatest days in gaming history was when SS2 was originally released.

One of the second greatest days in gaming history was finally seeing digital distribution for the game come to fruition in 2013.

This is seriously worth celebrating. And I say that as someone with an original copy.

awesome news!!!

how long will the GoG exclusive last for before it comes to Steam?

I enjoyed the game too. It would be great if they could bundle the high-res pack with the download, or at least point it out to people buying the game. Hell, give the original mod developers a bit of the money, they deserve it IMO!!!

LOL that it's going for more than either Bioshock 1 or 2 does on their frequent sales.

It's a better game than Bioshock. And it will be $5 on sale eventually.

I don't think anyone can disagree here.
Of course someone will attempt to prove me wrong, just because I said that...

SS2 laughs at Bioshock1/2 from a great height.

I don't think anyone can disagree here.
Of course someone will attempt to prove me wrong, just because I said that...

SS2 laughs at Bioshock1/2 from a great height.

I missed the boat on it so I guess I'm going to try it with the Rebirth mod because this thing is older than Methusaleh now.

When I see comments like yours...and I've done this many times myself...I'm wondering how much of that is warm rosey color glasses nostalgia. ;)

I'm looking at the screens for that "as is" and I can't make myself do it. I know graphics aren't everything and all but still.

I missed the boat on it so I guess I'm going to try it with the Rebirth mod because this thing is older than Methusaleh now.

When I see comments like yours...and I've done this many times myself...I'm wondering how much of that is warm rosey color glasses nostalgia. ;)

I'm looking at the screens for that "as is" and I can't make myself do it. I know graphics aren't everything and all but still.

:( That is disappointing, especially coming from you.

Try it with Rebirth and SHTUP. It'll still be far from Crysis (or games from 2004 for that matter) but it's a lot better.

I can't say that the rose-colored glasses thing applies here. It's not like this was an okay game that people look back on favorably because it did one or two things right. It was absolutely astounding at the time, and if you can get past the graphics it holds up very well today. It blends action, horror, inventory management, skill building, etc.and was still really suspenseful when I played it again a year or so ago. I love that you have three classes to choose from and often multiple ways to accomplish things. And like Dead Space, the whole idea of being alone on a space ship with many other things that want to kill you is very creepy. Except in SS2's case, the ship itself is after you as well.

I know I can't convince everyone, but it would truly be a shame to miss out on the experience.

It's worth a play. The game was as seminal as fallout or PS:T. You'll see bits and pieces through it that have been reused in later games, most notably the audio records they scattered around in Doom3.

It's got a nice mix of FPS and RPG elements that make it pleasantly complex with zero taint of consolitis.

I can still replay the original Deus Ex with the texture mods and what not so if that's what we're talking about here....and the legends say yes...then off to GOG I go. ;)

EDIT: Done. :)

Last edited:

Well considering it has been installed for years on my PC, and I play it usually once a year, my glasses are crystal clear! :)

Plus, that super secret ninja patch EX, that came out a few months ago, made me play it again. :) (I assume that is the version you receive from GOG)

I absolutely love the game. The experience is just, soo... unique, and still makes me jump, even after all these years. :D

I can still replay the original Deus Ex with the texture mods and what not so if that's what we're talking about here....and the legends say yes...then off to GOG I go. ;)

EDIT: Done. :)

Whew. /wipes sweat from brow

If you can handle Deus Ex's (another all time great) graphics, you can handle these.

I look forward to your thoughts. For the best experience, play alone and in the dark with headphones...you know, standard practice for scary games.

Impressed to see native support in the menus for 16:10 resolutions and stuff like that.

How difficult is the Rebirth Mod install?

Easy. don't forget shtup too.

Some notes: The game has different classes for different play styles and there are different ways to upgrade skills and implants. Weapons wear out (and can be upgraded and repaired), enemies can be researched. I've read of 'wrench only' playthroughs, the wrench being the default weapon, like HL's crowbar.

Google, if you can find System Shock 2 Mod Manager.
Download that and use it. Very easy and will also tell you if any mod conflicts with another(as you load multiple ones).

The normal place to download it is strangebedfellows.de, but it looks like they exceeded their bandwidth.

And like Dead Space, the whole idea of being alone on a space ship with many other things that want to kill you is very creepy. Except in SS2's case, the ship itself is after you as well.

Ah.... how can I elaborate on this, without giving spoilers??
GRAPE APE!

Last edited:
yea as someone who hasn't played it before, i'm sad to already know that shit you posted.

So does the version from GoG contain that shader patch or whatever was released within the last year or so? I think it was for Thief games too, something about better lighting.

Back