SS2 on GOG

yea as someone who hasn't played it before, i'm sad to already know that shit you posted.

So does the version from GoG contain that shader patch or whatever was released within the last year or so? I think it was for Thief games too, something about better lighting.

Actually, we didn't really tell you anything.
You. Will. See.....

That was a vague spoiler about the first ~45 minutes of the game, luckily. I wouldn't worry much.

Snape kills Dumbledore. Pi *is* the tiger. Vader is Luke's father.

any spoiler that takes away from the first time player's experience is not good...no matter how vague...it's like saying listen to Andrew Ryan's words carefully when playing Bioshock...vague but spoiler-ish because it gets people to notice something moreso then they might normally have

Snape kills Dumbledore. Pi *is* the tiger. Vader is Luke's father.

Aw fuck, now you gone and did it.

Well, that was it. I hope you enjoy the game that's been completely spoiled...

And Pi really IS the tiger. Be careful.

any spoiler that takes away from the first time player's experience is not good...no matter how vague...it's like saying listen to Andrew Ryan's words carefully when playing Bioshock...vague but spoiler-ish because it gets people to notice something moreso then they might normally have

Would you kindly ask people to use spoiler tags?

This game is best experience with a blind playthrough first. Re-creating that feeling is much like chasing the dragon.

Getting ready to play. Found SS Mod Manager. Easy to use. Downloaded and installed SHTUP, Rebirth 02, earth and activated these. ADOB on stanby since it gives me a conflict message.

Any other mods I should go after?

What a terrible game.

...j/k, never played it. Is it worth getting into after such a long time? Does it still hold up?

What a terrible game.

...j/k, never played it. Is it worth getting into after such a long time? Does it still hold up?

For $10 with these mods...it deserves the support, man. I saw your post in the Aliens thread. On principle alone: Buy this. Seriously.

Getting ready to play. Found SS Mod Manager. Easy to use. Downloaded and installed SHTUP, Rebirth 02, earth and activated these. ADOB on stanby since it gives me a conflict message.

Any other mods I should go after?

That's all I would use. You don't want to alter the experience, just make it look better and run better.

Hm, here's an updated list for mods.
http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

I haven't tried many of those. Time to experiment.

Oooo, didn't realize ADaoB had an update.
Isn't GoG's version patched even further? The ninja patch brought the game version up to 2.4. What is it in their package? I do highly recommend SHMUP, the higher quality music makes a big difference.

so the Rebirth mod only changes the enemy textures and not the entire world?

Try loading them in different order, it may work.
I know ADaoB 2.8 works with Rebirth 2, but I have not tried 3.0 yet.

ja1Fu60.png

And Rebirth is just enemy geometry and textures. SHTUP is the texture upgrade one, but it doesn't play nice with Rebirth and i tend to prefer it. Good thing about the mod manager, you can "turn on/off" mods and see which one you like more.
Four hundred is a new texture pack I haven't tried. I'm going to download it and see if it works with Rebirth.

And Rebirth is just enemy geometry and textures. SHTUP is the texture upgrade one, but it doesn't play nice with Rebirth and i tend to prefer it. Good thing about the mod manager, you can "turn on/off" mods and see which one you like more.
Four hundred is a new texture pack I haven't tried. I'm going to download it and see if it works with Rebirth.

I looked at some YouTube videos and I think I also prefer the SHTUP mod over Rebirth...I think I'll use that exclusively

Oooo, didn't realize ADaoB had an update.
Isn't GoG's version patched even further? The ninja patch brought the game version up to 2.4. What is it in their package? I do highly recommend SHMUP, the higher quality music makes a big difference.

GoG's version is indeed 2.4 (the ninja patch's release notes are in the install locations "doc\release_notes.txt" file.)

What a terrible game.

yes, this game still holds up, even without the mods.

SS2 is one of those games where the gameplay, the environment, sound, and the story are just so worth it that it have dated graphics doesn't really matter at all.

yes, this game still holds up, even without the mods.

SS2 is one of those games where the gameplay, the environment, sound, and the story are just so worth it that it have dated graphics doesn't really matter at all.
Exactly. SS2 and the original Deus Ex are two games that are as engrossing, entertaining right now as they were when they first were released.

I don't know, I think SS2 holds up even better than Deus Ex. In Deus Ex, for instance, you have that really stiff, awful shooting holding back the rest of it (if DX1 and DXHR had a lovechild that combined their best features, it'd be like the second coming), whereas in SS2 everything except the graphics--that is to say, the shooting, the melee, the survival aspects, the character and weapon customization--is really solid. (Though there's no denying is IS ugly as sin.)

Exactly. SS2 and the original Deus Ex are two games that are as engrossing, entertaining right now as they were when they first were released.

I'm starting to get this. Guess what the bulk of my free time this weekend is all about?

Try loading them in different order, it may work.
I know ADaoB 2.8 works with Rebirth 2, but I have not tried 3.0 yet.

3.0 of what?

Thanks to you and some others here for the tips. :)

Absolutely!
I want as many people as possible to enjoy this masterpiece. It's truly a rare timeless classic. :)
Also, I wasn't able to do it last night, but I'm gonna try using the four hundred texture pack tonight. Apparently its not a "mod", and you just replace most of the game textures. That should just work with no mod conflicts, so we will see. From what I read, it gets its name for the 400% scaling that was done to the game textures. Impressive!

Yay, I get home all happy I get to play SS2 again and my Comcast was out all night. A 3 day weekend should make up for it.

Back