Soyo 24" LCD at Office Max $299

just got it this Soyo home a bit ago to replace my 22" Viewsonic...

I cant tell one difference in quality or color from one to the other...Just that one is bigger.

I played several games without ghosting. Surfed around without any issues at all. Watched part of a movie and it looked great as well..

So quite frankly, I am very pleased with the cost vs quality factor...

I just need to sell my Viewsonic now.:D

Just came from my local Officemax, there's eight (8) of them on the shelf for $299+tax, out the door. I can't believe they still have stock. Talked my old man into buying one, and his had no dead pixels- IQ is as good as any Dell 24" I've ever seen. Last time I checked, the dell 24 was going for slightly more than double what this costs. SOYO may scare a bunch of folks because of their rep with mobos, but at this price, buy two and run them side by side. If one fails, you're still ahead.:p

I don't think the 6800GT nor 7800GT will draw blackbars for you. I think you have to have a monitor that does that.

If I'm wrong - PLEASE tell me where the option is to change that? I'm tired of stretched 1024x768 on my 1680x1050 22' widescreen.

I don't think the 6800GT nor 7800GT will draw blackbars for you. I think you have to have a monitor that does that.

If I'm wrong - PLEASE tell me where the option is to change that? I'm tired of stretched 1024x768 on my 1680x1050 22' widescreen.

In the ATI control panel, it's called "Use Centered Timings", vs "Scale image to full panel size". I'm pretty sure there's a similar option in the nvidia controls. Oh yeah, and supposedly it actually works, cause the ati one doesn't, grr.

In the ATI control panel, it's called "Use Centered Timings", vs "Scale image to full panel size". I'm pretty sure there's a similar option in the nvidia controls. Oh yeah, and supposedly it actually works, cause the ati one doesn't, grr.

Yup, on the newest drivers anyway there is. It is in section dealing with "Flat Panel Scaling" or similar. I can't view it right now since I am at work but I am 100% it is there.

Ive bought this Soyo 24" the first time they had it for 299 about a month ago.
Ive totally liked its display quality and performance but, there are couple of things that are annoying.

First off and the least annoying for me is the switching between the DVI port and VGA port. When you do this the monitor temporarily renders the display useless until you unplug the power cable from the back (hitting the power button doesnt work)

If you have multiple sources this would be annoying, but if you are just using it from one source it would be fine (even dual monitor setup from one source works fine) Its just the switching between either port you want to display.

Second- There is a faint hum coming from the speakers - I went into the OSD Menu (which is weird and troublesome) and saw the volume was automatically set at some high rate. There is no way to turn off the speakers completely - you can only turn the volume down to 0 and even then the humming doesnt go away completely. I notice this sort of stuff because I like my workspace quiet - ie: low db fans - if any.

Third- I just started noticing that Im getting some weird noises from the back of the monitor. It sounds like a fly is stuck in there buzzing around...but it sounds abit more like little clicks...kinda like the way a car sounds when its cooling down after a decent drive.

Has anyone else has this happening? I wonder what it is?

Update: I just checked my 2407 and it does the same thing! except probably 1/5th as loud. This is weird.

I ordered the monitor 9-8, I was told I'd get an e-mail when it shipped. It was supposed to come from the OM distribution center in Orlando. I heard nothing by 9-12 so I called. I was told it would be delivered 9-17. Ok fine, so I waited. 9-17 got here and no monitor, so I called again. They said I should have it. I wanted the tracking number, but they said they wouldn't give it out over the phone. "Send it to my e-mail address"! They wouldn't do that either. I looked online at my CC statement and the monitor had been charged on 9-11!!!! I was pissed! I demanded the tracking and finally got it. UPS had never received the package! I called OM and canceled the order. What a mess..

Hmm..I have had my monitor for about a month also, and it has been absolutely wonderful, havent notice any noise, speakers work great, monitor is absolutely working great. Maybe I got one of the good ones.

I ordered the monitor 9-8, I was told I'd get an e-mail when it shipped. It was supposed to come from the OM distribution center in Orlando. I heard nothing by 9-12 so I called. I was told it would be delivered 9-17. Ok fine, so I waited. 9-17 got here and no monitor, so I called again. They said I should have it. I wanted the tracking number, but they said they wouldn't give it out over the phone. "Send it to my e-mail address"! They wouldn't do that either. I looked online at my CC statement and the monitor had been charged on 9-11!!!! I was pissed! I demanded the tracking and finally got it. UPS had never received the package! I called OM and canceled the order. What a mess..

I've had mine for about two weeks. One stuck pixel left hand bottom and no humming not worth the hassel of returning. However they did fuck up my first order and by the time they figured it out the LCD was out of stock. I bitched and was told to pick another monitor and they would give me 20% off. I told them I would get back to them and to just put it in the case notes. A few days later when I saw the deal was back I called and got the extra 20% plus my $30 dollar coupon, long story short I paid $256 OTD with tax. Their customer service sucks but they did make good in the long run. ;)

Office Max will have this Soyo 24" LCD monitor on sale for $299. no rebate, no coupon.

sale runs Sept 23rd thru 29th.

a bump for anyone still wanting one of these...

God damnit, I really want one... but I have almost no money... :(

GDM-FW900.. or... Soyo 24" LCD... :confused:

FW900 is nice, but it's old and heavy... colors might be better but that's not a huge deal to me... I could probably get $200-250 out of it if I sell the FW900 too... so I could upgrade for $50-100

Tempting...

Verified it is, in fact, back at the $299 price.
This is insane for such a large monitor.
I've seen two of these in operation now, and they look as good as the Dell 24's to me. If I want extra usb ports I can get a hub for $5.

I'll wait. Acer has a 24" for $299.99, even if it has a $100.00 rebate, 24" prices look like they are falling.

I'll wait. Acer has a 24" for $299.99, even if it has a $100.00 rebate, 24" prices look like they are falling.

Hmmn... Now let's see...Spend $399 plus tax with a $100 rebate and hope I dot all the i's and cross all the t's or just drag my lazy arse to OfficeMax and grab one for $299. Choice 2 is the correct answer!
yes, they're dropping...Thank God!

Gave my Dell 2001FP to my better half and have been limping along with her old Samsung 191T. Uggh!
The Soyo is great! Don't miss my 2001FP anymore!

heck im considering this....and adding a atsc/qam box for the bedroom. No pc needed, and it still portable enough to move around to friends/another room/console gaming

thx for the headsup folks

Just ordered one over the phone hoping to use a coupon code also, but because of the instant savings they wouldn't let me. Oh well, still $100 cheaper and free next day delivery.

Is this monitor HDCP compliant? If I purchased one it would be mainly for grabbing an X-Box HD-DVD drive and watching HD-DVD movies on my PC.

Is this monitor HDCP compliant? If I purchased one it would be mainly for grabbing an X-Box HD-DVD drive and watching HD-DVD movies on my PC.

From what I have read on other sites, it is not HDCP compliant. Can anyone verify this and can the OP make note of it?

Just ordered one over the phone hoping to use a coupon code also, but because of the instant savings they wouldn't let me. Oh well, still $100 cheaper and free next day delivery.

Depending on the code, you could have tried ordering online. I did that the last time these were at $299 with no problems. Ended up being around $280 with tax, free shipping.

Depending on the code, you could have tried ordering online. I did that the last time these were at $299 with no problems. Ended up being around $280 with tax, free shipping.

Tried two different codes, both were invalid online. The guy actually even said over the phone that you might be able to use codes online on top of the instant savings, but that they weren't able to enter any through their computer. I'm still happy with the outcome though.

I have had this monitor for four weeks now. ;)
I think it was well worth the money. The monitor it replaced was a NEC op clear 19". I
paid $475.00 for it two years ago. The SOYO does not have the usb ports the NEC had but I can live without them for a 24" screen and $300 bucks.
I finding that anything that has to do with computers is out dated in what two years or so?

Just my take on this deal.
later
mark

Tried two different codes, both were invalid online. The guy actually even said over the phone that you might be able to use codes online on top of the instant savings, but that they weren't able to enter any through their computer. I'm still happy with the outcome though.

Weird, I actually just ordered a second LCD with a $30 off coupon online and it worked fine. Of course, these came from fliers sent to my work, so maybe that's the difference?

Weird, I actually just ordered a second LCD with a $30 off coupon online and it worked fine. Of course, these came from fliers sent to my work, so maybe that's the difference?

Yup, there are certain codes that are only availible for phone use. Of course, those are no good if the CSR won't let you use them.

so tempted to get one. i already have a 22" and not sure the upgrade is worth it. lack of hdcp is the only thing keepin me back. then when this price goes up again, i'll regret it. haha.
what are the workarounds for hdcp? i've got an hd dvd drive that still has some hope left, just need some soldering done, and need an hdcp monitor.

I am in the same boat, except I don't care about HDCP. I have a new 22" and a new 8800GTX, and wonder if this would be a good upgrade, or maybe wait for one of those killer BF sales or something.... It is sooo tempting, I am just kinda stuck... Maybe they will run out in store before payday, and I won't have to worry about it. Although, they have 34 in stock and have only sold three since sale started..../sigh

From the OfficeMax Website can you check and see if an item (This Monitor) is in stock at an Officmax near your home ?

I'd just call the local Office-Max

Just picked mine up, $325 out the door (didn't feel like dealing with delivery/coupons/phones)

No stuck/dead pixels, it's pretty much perfect, the base slides around on my wood desk a little bit but it's fine.

So tempting. This would nicely replace my 19" Soyo, and allow me to remove the monster 19" CRT that sits in my livingroom for when my HTPC is acting up. I got too many bills this month though - damn truck registration is $441! Damn CA DMV!

-bZj

Yea, I'm sorta in-debt over it right now, but it's worth it... panel is beautiful.

Sold the FW900, and bought the Soyo in one big trip... definitely worth it.

Feel free to share these pics, I got plenty of bandwidth

I also picked one up today, and I'm completely amazed. The stand is crap and it won't win any beauty contests, but it greatly surpassed my expectations on performance, picture quality, and viewing angles. I keep having to remind myself it only cost me $299 + tax.

Hmm, the viewing angle looks pretty decent, on the horizontal axis anyway. I see the vertical being a bit of a problem especially when looking from below.

But overall excellent quality considering the price! I think I will bite myself if the deal is still up.

The website says the deal has expired... is it still going strong in stores, or is this one kaput?

A couple of guys I know went over this morning after seeing mine and picked up one each. Our local store still had them in stock for $299.

The website says the deal has expired... is it still going strong in stores, or is this one kaput?

Still shows $299.99 for me on the website. Try using another store location, might be an issue of lock stock numbers.

I was sooo tempted to purchase one of these, but wanted to wait until payday to not cut myself short on money between now and Friday. I had to work and exhaustively long day yesterday, (16 hours of constant presentations), and when I got home, I found one of these new beasties on my desk hooked to my gaming rig. My wife and son went out and purchased, came home, cleaned my desk and hooked it up for me. Although I only played with it for like 10 mins, I found no bad/dead pixels and the colors looked pretty decent to me out of the box, (I am probably color blind). This monitor looks and plays much better than my 22" Acer I had. Woot for having a nice wife and son!!

Now I just need to figure out how to use two LCD monitors in my gaming setup...

I was sooo tempted to purchase one of these, but wanted to wait until payday to not cut myself short on money between now and Friday. I had to work and exhaustively long day yesterday, (16 hours of constant presentations), and when I got home, I found one of these new beasties on my desk hooked to my gaming rig. My wife and son went out and purchased, came home, cleaned my desk and hooked it up for me. Although I only played with it for like 10 mins, I found no bad/dead pixels and the colors looked pretty decent to me out of the box, (I am probably color blind). This monitor looks and plays much better than my 22" Acer I had. Woot for having a nice wife and son!!

Now I just need to figure out how to use two LCD monitors in my gaming setup...

haha, that's the ultimate gift right there. right on dude.

i'd bite as well, but my computer is too slow to run anything at those resolutions so i'll have to sit on it till early next year. maybe by then there will be some other options in the price range as well.

Back