Soyo 24" LCD at Office Max $299

Quick question: How do you calibrate an LCD monitor? I used the NVIDIA driver wizard to adjust colors a bit, gamma, etc. Is that how calibration is done? Should I use other software to do this?

I have a a Gretag Macbeth Eye One color calibrator, I use this on all my LCD's, I found this better than the huey or Spyder Pro as true color reproduction goes. I could send you my profile and tell you what my monitor settings are. While it will not be 100 accurate(Just because all monitors are different), it will be better than stock.

My tool
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=834

nice monitor but im bringin mine back to the store now line of dead pixels in less than 2 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAudio
nice monitor but im bringin mine back to the store now line of dead pixels in less than 2 days

me too

I cant seem to win with monitors lately

Just return it and get another one mine was the same way solid line at the bottom. The next one I got was awesome. And dont use that sorry dvi cable that's with the monitor it will give you problems.

alright well i exchanged it for a new one no problem no questions asked but i can see a few dead pixels already on this one, how many are to be expected on a screen of such high resolution? ive found 7 already, one of which is black
i have the worst luck with monitors, im gonna go exchange it AGAIN tomorrow

I love mine, I got it the last time it was on sale. No dead pixels yet; knock on wood. This is an awesome monitor for 299.

Quote:

Just return it and get another one mine was the same way solid line at the bottom. The next one I got was awesome. And dont use that sorry avi cable that's with the monitor it will give you problems.

Whats wrong with the stock cable? In my eyes, It sure beats paying 70 bucks for a dual link cable... I was under the impression that it was a digital, not an analog signal going through the cable, hence the quality of the cable is much less of an issue with digital.:confused:

Bring a notebook with you, and power it up before you leave the store.... running dead-pixel detection program.

Yep, I got a bad steak at Kroger's a few months ago. Now I bring a hibachi with me and cook that sucker right in the middle of aisle 3, as the store manager and customers look on. Sometimes I have to cook several before I find one I want to buy. :p

My cable was crap, now my colors are richer and there is no problems at all with my monitor. The best 300 usd I spent on a upgrade in a long time:D This cable only cost me 12.00 at the egg

I just exchanged mine, and I'm wondering, just in case this one also fails to make it, how does this panel compare to the L2410NM Westy?

Ok, found a problem with mine. If I run any non-native resolution I get a weird distortion down the right side of the screen. It must be a problem with the image scaler, since non-native res set to the 4:3 scaler rather than 16:10 in the on screen display. Anyone else have this?

*EDIT* Hmm, turns out any resolution below 1440x900 is fine. Just the higher res non-natives have it. Grrrr.

Ok, found a problem with mine. If I run any non-native resolution I get a weird distortion down the right side of the screen. It must be a problem with the image scaler, since non-native res set to the 4:3 scaler rather than 16:10 in the on screen display. Anyone else have this?

*EDIT* Hmm, turns out any resolution below 1440x900 is fine. Just the higher res non-natives have it. Grrrr.

its in your scaling .go into your ati control panel and fine where its got scaling and tell it to use your monitor scaling.

its in your scaling .go into your ati control panel and fine where its got scaling and tell it to use your monitor scaling.

I'm pretty sure it is using the monitor's scaling, it's outputting whatever resolution I like, it's just the monitor's scaler that's having trouble with certain resolutions. If I click "use centered timings" it'll display whatever resolution I like perfectly, just with black bars. Is there some way to have the vid card generate a lower resolution and then scale it before output to the monitor?

Just dropping in to pimp my mini comparison/review of this monitor.

You can read it here.

Nice comparison . ;)

Btw , I just set up my Soyo today (prod date: July/07) and so far all is well *knock on wood* .

No dead pixels , no lines , nada . Basicly no adjustments made either , minus a little brightness thus far . I may tweak the settings a tad in the next day or two , but for now things look just fine . Gonna run a gambit of games first , and go from there before I do anything else .

I just hope the hardware holds up , as I'd hate to return this one ; as it seems to be a keeper atm . Iam not sure if I can still do the added OM warranty , but Iam going to try tommorow and grab atleast and added 1yr for $30 (just to be safe) .

This deal is alive once again tomorrow (11/4). I stopped in-store to look today, and buying it with the OM CC offer nets me 10% off the deal, so I can afford to add the 2 yr extended warranty to it as well.

This deal is alive once again tomorrow (11/4). I stopped in-store to look today, and buying it with the OM CC offer nets me 10% off the deal, so I can afford to add the 2 yr extended warranty to it as well.

Wow , again ... :cool:

Btw , Ive had mine for about 3-4 weeks and its doing great , along with my brothers and a buddy of mine who bought one last time around . Production dates being July and Sept 07 .

i'm wondering how the people who brought this during the first sale in august are doing with the monitors

It appears after reading three threads full of Soyo user comments that the earliest batch of these units was problematic, but the later batches were more reliable ?? I'm just basing that off of the time periods that these were sold at $299 and users who bought them in mid-October at the sale price haven't had as many complaints.

Really can't beat the price, but the extended warranty seems to cover my @ss, so I hope this panel works with no issues to report. I'm using a budget FujiPlus 19" now, so cheap LCD panels are right up my alley.

Totally happy with mine thus far. Had it for a while now too. Gonna buy another for the office.

It's baaaccckk...... for a limited time only, this fabulous LCD can be yours for a low low introductory price of just $299. Seriously, it's pretty decent. Mine is great after 3 weeks. No dead pixels at all.

I have not had any problems with mine. I only have had it for a month though...

Wow .. this puts my 19" FujiPlus to SHAME !! Just got back from the store and hooked it up and the colors really pop. Running at 6500k with brightness set to 40 and contrast at 45 .... still tweaking those settings but so far, so good.
No dead pixels, and I used my existing DVI cable, with the plan being to use the Soyo cable on my old 19".

*fingers crossed*

Hopefully Best Buy or another outlet has a higher quality 24" for under $250 on black friday. We'll see! Hope you guys are liking your monitors!

I have had mine for about 6 weeks, and I must say. This is an awesome monitor. I have officially put my original worries to rest now. It is flawless. I'm really glad I bought it.

Well, I've decided I'll pick one up either today or this week. :) What type of panel is this btw?

Dont forget to add that you can buy a coupon on ebay($1-$5) for $30 off $150 to make this monitor really sub $300 after taxes+shipping.

I just the monitor setup. Bought it today. Very nice screen. Dont see any dead pixels. So far best $300 spent on a montior. Went from my old Dell 21" lcd.

Has anyone used this monitor and a LG L246WP-BN? If so, how do they compare in screen quality?

Man, I got it almost 2 months ago and have had no issues since..

I love it...And am glad I got it...Looks as good as the higher end screens.

And games look fabulous. :D

Back