Soyo 24" LCD at Office Max $299

Why would anybody buy anything from this POS company.

They are lairs and thives.

Soyo doesn't make the panel, so the panel is good.

If you just want a 24 inch screen and won't need to mess with the stand much or use the OSD menu or switch between inputs, then I'd say it's a really good monitor.

Unfortunately for me, I found using both inputs together very buggy which is no doubt Soyo's influence, so Soyo did kill this for me. But for other people that just plug in one computer, adjust their colors, and then don't plan to change anything and keep it simple, I think it's still a great deal.

But I say this with a tiny bit of uncertainty, because as I read these forums, some people make me think high def content already won't work if I don't have HDCP OS and monitor. So I acknowledge I'm not 100% sure of what I said before, but somewhere in the high 70ish percentage. :)

This should set you straight, dumbass:
HDCP protection is now activated. Consequences :
and this
HDCP: The graphic card and monitor nightmare.

Btw, I'm kidding about the 'dumbass'. It was random and totally unwarranted :)

The monitor apparently doesn't support 1080p, it's not listed as among it's supported resolutions. I took it for granted that if it supported 1920x1200 then naturally it would also do 1920x1080, but seems I was wrong about that.

Thanks for the reponses, it has been very helpful. The cropping issue seems strange. If it didn't accept a 1080p signal, wouldn't it just be a blank screen? Regardless, a major draw of this monitor for me was going to be a 360 in addition to the computer. how does the 360 look on the monitor at 1360x768, if you would be so kind...

Highly detailed specs here.

IMG_1999.jpg

I might be way off, so someone correct me if I am, I don't follow this very closely....

But it is my understanding that you really don't need HDCP at the moment. High definition content from Bluray, HD-DVD, and other sources is getting ready for HDCP, but this won't actually be enabled until several years yet (2012 I think?).

When HDCP copy protection is enabled, then the high def content won't play on a computer and monitor that are not HDCP compliant.

If you are buying a monitor that you think you'll be using for more than half a decade and will be playing high def content on it, then you'd want to get something that is HDCP ready.

But I say this with a tiny bit of uncertainty, because as I read these forums, some people make me think high def content already won't work if I don't have HDCP OS and monitor. So I acknowledge I'm not 100% sure of what I said before, but somewhere in the high 70ish percentage. :)

If you don't have HDCP Blue-Ray and HD-DVD movies (even played through a computer) will be limted in resoltion to somewhere around standard DVD resolution. It wont output to 720p nor 1080p.

Trust me. I'm in that same boat. My 22" panel doesn't have HDCP...I'd pay an extra 50 to have a monitor with it.

Thanks for the heads up! Gotta get my self one before it sells out, haha.

check the threads at FW, SD, AT and others for more details and feedback.

google is your friend

Well, seems like you enjoy yours. Any gripes that you personally have regarding the monitor?

Also are there any external devices that you can use to connect consoles to your PC? I remember seeing one in an earlier thread but can't remember what it's called.

I just use it a a monitor for a single PC, I put it on my desk, hooked it up, adjusted the brightness, and loaded the color profile. I have done nothing since that other than use it.

it's a basic LCD monitor, DVI and VGA input connections only, if you are after HDMI and other stuff then this is not for you.

Man so thinking about picking one up... I live a block or 2 away from and Office Max. Think I need to get rid of this Sony 24" CRT...

Nice.

I'm going to be using the monitor for heavy gaming and some graphic design, so it seems like it's a good choice because of it's good color reproduction and quick response time. Am I correct? Or should I look elsewhere?

I love mine!
Gaming is really excellent on it.
My wife does advertising using bunches of graphics and loves my Soyo...just like she loved my Dell 2001FP which she conned off of me with benefits :eek:
I'm easy...

I love mine!
Gaming is really excellent on it.
My wife does advertising using bunches of graphics and loves my Soyo...just like she loved my Dell 2001FP which she conned off of me with benefits :eek:
I'm easy...

slut. :p

The monitor enclosure is so ugly.. I wish it was more ergonomic like the Samsung one.

The monitor enclosure is so ugly.. I wish it was more ergonomic like the Samsung one.

Ditto. I may end up getting it anyway, since it seems like a good panel, but soyo really could've done a little more there.

Does anyone know if you order it by phone, can it be returned to a B&M Office Max, and what their return policy is like?

Soyo?! What the hell ever happened to them... Not making mobos anymore or WTF? never hear of them... Fry's used to be inundated with them.
Word, my 7VCA was good enough to get some PC100 to 140MHz! Even had some of their Airielink network kit a while back.

I had enough of a good memory of them to go with a Soyo 1998 19" LCD. All's good, except for a single white pixel on the bottom edge of the screen, which is only noticeable on a black background. I'd rock a 24" for $270 no prob.
Beauty, or the lack there of, has nothing to do with ergonomics.
The Mayo Clinic said:
The science of designing the job to fit the worker, rather than physically forcing the worker’s body to fit the job.
http://www.nationalpainfoundation.org/MyTreatment/MayoClinic_glossary.asp

-bZj

So tempting, I need to drop this GDM FW900...

Gah... you could get 2 of these for the price of a dell 2407... :p

just picked one up tonight , first one was bad drove back to the store the girl replaced it no questions asked . my 7 yr old son is happy with it :) . not bad for 300 bucks
my sons pc is a althon64 FX 55 with 2 gig of ram and two X1600 pro's he has no problems at all ,no ghosting at all

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it worked with the 360, other wise its a no go for me, still a very very very good price, I just don't need another monitor unless it will work with my 360.

I have a couple questions:

Can this be used with a PS3 or XBOX360? Possible work around?
Anyone using Vista with it? Any issues?

no issues with Vista 32 bit. can't say about PS3 or Xbox as I don't have one

I might be way off, so someone correct me if I am, I don't follow this very closely....

But it is my understanding that you really don't need HDCP at the moment. High definition content from Bluray, HD-DVD, and other sources is getting ready for HDCP, but this won't actually be enabled until several years yet (2012 I think?).

When HDCP copy protection is enabled, then the high def content won't play on a computer and monitor that are not HDCP compliant.

If you are buying a monitor that you think you'll be using for more than half a decade and will be playing high def content on it, then you'd want to get something that is HDCP ready.

I had to have HDCP to use the DVI port off my comcast motorola cable box. I had 2 22" screens, one with HDCP, one without. The only one that would work as the HDCP enabled monitor.

What would happen if you used a VGA to DVI converter for the xbox 360?

I have a couple questions:

Can this be used with a PS3 or XBOX360? Possible work around?
Anyone using Vista with it? Any issues?

From what I have read using vga with the 360 gives you major image cut off, and if you have an hdmi xbox using the dvi gives you a gray bar down the center of the screen.

Anyone who has this -- if you play a game in 1024x768 for instance - does it blackbar it or stretch it....does it give you the option?

More expensive LCDS will allow you to black bar.

Cheap LCDs only stretch.

Anyone who has this -- if you play a game in 1024x768 for instance - does it blackbar it or stretch it....does it give you the option?

More expensive LCDS will allow you to black bar.

Cheap LCDs only stretch.
Dude, just set your video card up to add the black bars, no big deal. :p

Back