Socket AM2 Club!

Have an AM2 AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 arrive at my door last friday, I will try to remember and edit my post with a picture of the box or something.
 
Leon2ky said:
So I was prepping to OC the shit out of my Sempy, come to find out the MSI board I got from Newegg is DOA :mad:


Mine too, stupid MSI board.

Mine wouldn't cycle past system chipset initialization.
 
Seems like there are a lot of problems with the new boards. My ASUS came with a bad bios chip and it wont post with ocz ram.
 
zrikz said:
Seems like there are a lot of problems with the new boards. My ASUS came with a bad bios chip and it wont post with ocz ram.
Oh no, don't say that :( What OCZ ram are you using?

My AM2 4200+ was supposed to arrive Monday along with my other stuff, but I guess they forgot to include it :rolleyes: It should get here by Thursday, hopefully.

List o stuff:
Asus M2N32 Deluxe
4200+ X2 & Zalman 9500
EVGA 7900gtx
OCZ gold series 6400 (came with a nice rebate :))
 
your screwed ;( I was using OCZ gold 2 x 512 pc 6400... im sorry to tell ya. I had to order some kingston and it works fine now. Ended having to go to circuit city and buying some cheap ram yesterday to get it to run, ordered a gig today with overnight and am going to return the other ram to circuit tomorrow hopefully.
 
I suppose that is true, I actually think I recall someone saying they did get one set of OCZ gold pc 6400 working on their board on the Asus tech forums, I do hope you get lucky.
 
Leon2ky said:
I believe you, and I added you to the list. Also I updated the list of available AM2 Processors :D.


I appreciate it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly once I fire this thing up. :D
 
IxGOxSOLO said:
I appreciate it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly once I fire this thing up. :D
good luck man. :D

sadly, it seems that a lot of people have been having problems.. probably nothing a bios update can't fix, but still :(
 
I own a am2 motherboard but am lacking of a processor.


Im looking at a Athlon x2 4000+ cause of the 1 meg L2 cache. But i am wondering, Since it is a dual core. do i really need 1meg of L2 cache? i am just wondering cause the 4000+`s are in scarce supply right now. Is there much a differince in the 1meg cores than the 512kb cores?
 
1mb is buttery smooth...and its sooo worth it. if i coulda gotten a 165 or 170, i woulda just for the 1mb cache. 512k is smooth with DC, but 1m is just butter.
 
Does anyone make an after market heatsinks for am2 yet?. I found a OEM processor and i need a HSF for it. Or can i adapt a 939 backplate HSF to fit the am2?
 
oh yeah, forgot about that. anything that "clips in" to the backet with only one lug will still work :D
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
good luck man. :D

sadly, it seems that a lot of people have been having problems.. probably nothing a bios update can't fix, but still :(


Well you can now add me to that list. Keep getting issues upon install, BSODs seems like RAM problems(I don't think it likes my corsair xms ddr2 pc5400). Apparently, the m2n-sli deluxe is somewhat prone to these(memory incompatibilities). Still tinkering around, doing some tweaks etc. so hopefully I'll get this worked out soon.
 
ThatsAgood1jay said:
Does anyone make an after market heatsinks for am2 yet?. I found a OEM processor and i need a HSF for it. Or can i adapt a 939 backplate HSF to fit the am2?
scythe mine as eclipse mentioned :D
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
just cause you said that, i'll make sure it does :D

i vote we have a bandwidth competition. use sandra 2007 for consistancy? ;)
I should buy a set of this RAM (PC4800) for my s754 system just to spite you...and to see how close I can get to AM2's bandwidth :D
 
I'm not having any problems, running ROCK solid and SUPER stable. No crashes, locks, or freezes... nothing, runs like a dream.


I avoided OCZ primarly for the compatibility reason and I went with the XMS2 instead :) Works like a charm.
 
Unknown-One said:
I should buy a set of this RAM (PC4800) for my s754 system just to spite you...and to see how close I can get to AM2's bandwidth :D
ddr1-600's theoretical bandwidth is a meager 4800mb/s

to hit 7500mb/s, you'll need.. at leasst 470mhz ram at 100% efficiency... which is very hard :p


IxGOxSOLO, tbh, i've hated asus's amd mobos for a while now. they just don't give the amd design team enough money, and the boards are plauged with issues.. seems that msi didn't quite get this first revision right either. getting one of those foxconns will be hard with the budget i have though :(
 
obiwansotti said:
Mine too, stupid MSI board.

Mine wouldn't cycle past system chipset initialization.

I too got a MSI Motherboard from Newegg. My system would not post till I found out the the ram is required to be 1.8 volts. The OZC I baught was 1.9volts. Ended up ordering 2 extra Gigs Total 4gigs of ddr2-667 for the box.

==========================
MSI 570 Plat. MB
AMD 3500+ AM2 (35W)
2xGigabyte 7600 GS Silent Pipe II (SLI mode)
4x1Gig DDR2-667
4x250 Gig Seagate Sata II
Antec Silent Case
 
wezzel said:
I too got a MSI Motherboard from Newegg. My system would not post till I found out the the ram is required to be 1.8 volts. The OZC I baught was 1.9volts. Ended up ordering 2 extra Gigs Total 4gigs of ddr2-667 for the box.

==========================
MSI 570 Plat. MB
AMD 3500+ AM2 (35W)
2xGigabyte 7600 GS Silent Pipe II (SLI mode)
4x1Gig DDR2-667
4x250 Gig Seagate Sata II
Antec Silent Case

Are you serious? It REQUIRES 1.8V ram? That better be bullshit.
 
The boys at monarch sent out my cpu and heatsink today. hopefully ill be up and runny with my new system friday night. God i hope i didint get a bad msi board. and i hope it likes my OCZ ddr2 800 :rolleyes:
 
Looks like AMD is killing the X2 4000+, X2 4400+, and the X2 4800+...they just kicked us in the god damn balls.
 
Leon2ky said:
Looks like AMD is killing the X2 4000+, X2 4400+, and the X2 4800+...they just kicked us in the god damn balls.

They want to cut out all those 2x1MB processors because that will force more people to look at the FX processors if they want more L2 cache. Before the FX really didn't offer anything outside of unlocked multipliers. The change will also put more of a space between the X2 processors so that its actually a little more of an upgrade to go with the higher model.
 
wezzel said:
I too got a MSI Motherboard from Newegg. My system would not post till I found out the the ram is required to be 1.8 volts. The OZC I baught was 1.9volts. Ended up ordering 2 extra Gigs Total 4gigs of ddr2-667 for the box.
um. wtf?

the ram i'm using is "rated" for 2.2v at stock? but that doesn't matter cause the voltage isn't progammed into the SPD.
 
Well I'm back, got it working. Had to manually set the RAM voltage, [Auto] settings are for wussies anyway :p. Good times. :D
 
haha, you should take a multimeter to it and see what auto actually gives you
 
burningrave101 said:
They want to cut out all those 2x1MB processors because that will force more people to look at the FX processors if they want more L2 cache. Before the FX really didn't offer anything outside of unlocked multipliers. The change will also put more of a space between the X2 processors so that its actually a little more of an upgrade to go with the higher model.


Also allows them to lower the prices on the non fx lineups... which is a good thing.
 
burningrave101 said:
They want to cut out all those 2x1MB processors because that will force more people to look at the FX processors if they want more L2 cache. Before the FX really didn't offer anything outside of unlocked multipliers. The change will also put more of a space between the X2 processors so that its actually a little more of an upgrade to go with the higher model.
remember back in the s754 days when they were dropping all the clawhammers to move to 512mb cache only? look how well that worked out.. we ended up getting 1mb back eventually. i bet this will be the same exact deal.

and besides, 512kb cache chips are much cheaper to make, overclock better, and put out less heat. with an integrated ddr2 memory controller providing gobs of bandwidth, the difference between 1mb and 512kb is smaller than it used to be :D
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
remember back in the s754 days when they were dropping all the clawhammers to move to 512mb cache only? look how well that worked out.. we ended up getting 1mb back eventually. i bet this will be the same exact deal.

and besides, 512kb cache chips are much cheaper to make, overclock better, and put out less heat. with an integrated ddr2 memory controller providing gobs of bandwidth, the difference between 1mb and 512kb is smaller than it used to be :D

You haven't seen the 3500+ have you ;).
 
Well, I can verify that the OCZ Gold 6400 (2gb kit) will NOT work with the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition :mad:
 
saturnine2 said:
Well, I can verify that the OCZ Gold 6400 (2gb kit) will NOT work with the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition :mad:
even with just one stick in?
 
Even with a single stick. Tried both sticks in every slot, nada.
 
Well, I just ordered some Corsair 6400C4, which is on the ASUS supported memory list. Cost a bit, but will hopefully work.. I've had lots of problems in the past with OCZ stuff, I should have known better than to buy more.
 
Anyone running this stuff?

OCZ Platinum 1GB

The last review says it all... hopefully I'm not going to run into problems again and RMA it again.

Edit: Oh, I'll get Pictures of the system to join the AM2 Club soon.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
remember back in the s754 days when they were dropping all the clawhammers to move to 512kb cache only? look how well that worked out.. we ended up getting 1mb back eventually. i bet this will be the same exact deal.
fixed :p
 
Back
Top