So, what are you rocking for VR?

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Just a simple question, what are you all using as your main VR driver? What headset, games, standing/sitting/room scale, etc. are you using at this time?

My Headset + System:
Pico 4
Gigabyte 4090
5800x3D

Games:
Ghosts of Tabor
Into the Radius
Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades

Settings:
Wireless using Virtual Desktop
90fps
130%-150% SS depending on game
H264+ at 200Mbps
Everything on highest possible settings
Medium boundary setting for full movement

Quest Pro. I do a fair amount of standalone games, but I also use Virtual Desktop with a RTX 4090 through wifi 6e with a pair of Asus ET12s. One next to my desk and one near my dedicated VR room.
The VR room is 13'x13' or so with 9' ceiling which is nice because I don't need to worry about hitting the ceiling (as long as I don't jump). I've had a few painful moments playing Echo VR in the basement which has lower ceilings.
I use Philips A4216 "wireless sports headphones" but with a short wire to the headset, they're nice because the ear cup is small enough so the headset band doesn't interfere with it and they stay cool in active games.

1696563924961.png
1696564189986.png

I'm on the low end I see. Sported a rtx2080 and a Samsung Odyssey + with a AM4 1700x @ 4GHz originally.
Served me well and was very happy at the combined price at that time.
Upgraded the O+ to a HP G2 and bumped the CPU to a AM4 5700X. Holding out for a better GPU when the price meets my expectations because my older rtx2080 seems competent for the majority of VR.

I have a few headsets but I use the Quest 2 all the time. My PC is above average, AMD 5800x CPU and 6900 GPU. A lot of my gaming is Roomscale, either wireless or standalone. Most of my VR playing time is with others. I am part of a group that plays online together regularly, we play walkabout, Demeo, Star trek etc.

Will be moving to the Quest 3 in a couple of weeks. Will then need to consider getting a new GPU to get AV1 encoding.

I run a 5900x, 32gb, 4090, and a Valve Index. I am on my 6th controller and 3rd headset cable. I absolutely love the experience I get from the index, but the cost to keep it running has certainly pissed me off. Yet, its still the best all around setup. I have a quest 2 also but the latency with PCVR is just too high on it for competitive play and stand alone is meh, so it mostly sits there until something else breaks on my index and I have to use it as a backup till new parts arrive. I do have about 6k hours on the index though.

Games: Population One, After the Fall, War Dust get played every week. Also lot of flat to VR mods like Resident Evil. About to try Westworld because I never played it and heard it was pretty good.

Varjo Aero with 5800x3d and 4090FE. Mostly iRacing with some MSFS and others thrown in there. I have a set of Vive wands for other games but mostly do sims. I like Onward a lot, have played some War Dust, HL Alyx and a few others.

Mostly use a Crystal for sim racing, Got a Pico 4 which I use for room scale stuff, a G2 which I haven't decided if I should keep yet and PSVR2. Just recently sold a G1 and Quest Pro.
I mostly play AMS2, SkyrimVR, Elite Dangerous on PC and GT7 on PS5.

Last edited:
I also have a Varjo Aero (upgraded from a Valve Index after Varjo finally dropped their prices to a more reasonable level.)

My PC VR journey started with a HTC Vive, then a Oculus Rift, then the Valve Index. Now the Aero. Currently powered with what's in my sig below.

I'm very happy with the performance of the Aero - it is definitely a big jump up in resolution/clarity from the Index, along with no god rays or bloom... plus really nice edge to edge clarity and a massive sweet spot. I wasn't very happy with the Aero's lack of a built-in sound/mic solution though... so I did a little non-invasive modding and now it's perfect:

Varjo-Index-Sound1.jpg

Varjo-Index-Sound2.jpg

Varjo-Index-Sound3.jpg

Started with the rift s then 5K super and 8KX. The 8KX is sitting in the storage closet waiting for a GPU with enough juice to run it properly @90Hz or the 5K super to crap out and force me to get a 4090 to try. Mostly playing flight and racing sims as I'm too old to act like I'm not.

Just bought a Reverb G2 V2. Should be here tomorrow. Hoping for better results than with the original Rift I used to use for a short time.

So I finally retired my Rift S and purchased a Meta Quest 3 to go along with my PiMax 5K Super and I'll be honest, even though the PiMax has a much wider FoV I prefer the Meta Quest 3. For several reasons I'm probably gonna retire the 5K Super as well. Number one being the lenses are just so much better in the Quest 3, absolutely no glare or god rays and a very large sweet spot followed closely by the ability to play it completely wirelessly via Air Play and still harness the power of my VR rig to run games. The next biggest plus is comfort while wearing it (at least after you ditch the standard garbage headstrap it comes with) and it's no where near as bulky on your face. And lastly the full color, depth accurate pass through video (it's worlds away better than the black and white image the Rift S offered) and some of the demos really opened my eyes to what is possible with mixed reality games.

2 things for anyone looking to get a Meta Quest 3.

1) put the headstrap it comes with directly in the garbage (yes it's that bad)
2) if you want to use Air Play make sure you have a good home wireless network.

I purchased a MojoXR heatstrap that while being cheap is also surprisingly comfortable
https://www.amazon.com/MOJOXR-Adjus...ocphy=1015054&hvtargid=pla-1728861637195&th=1

And I carried these over from my Rift S to use as "over the ear speakers" and they fit perfectly on the MojoXR
https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-BNK-9...t=&hvlocphy=1015054&hvtargid=pla-448838184870

I changed my VR rig specs a bit too since I had to move the RTX 4090 to another PC I'm currently I'm using for VR:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D
ASRock RX 7900 XTX
64GB 6000Mhz RAM
1000W EVGA PSU
1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I finally retired my Rift S and purchased a Meta Quest 3 to go along with my PiMax 5K Super and I'll be honest, even though the PiMax has a much wider FoV I prefer the Meta Quest 3. For several reasons I'm probably gonna retire the 5K Super as well. Number one being the lenses are just so much better in the Quest 3, absolutely no glare or god rays and a very large sweet spot followed closely by the ability to play it completely wirelessly via Air Play and still harness the power of my VR rig to run games. The next biggest plus is comfort while wearing it (at least after you ditch the standard garbage headstrap it comes with) and it's no where near as bulky on your face. And lastly the full color, depth accurate pass through video (it's worlds away better than the black and white image the Rift S offered) and some of the demos really opened my eyes to what is possible with mixed reality games.

2 things for anyone looking to get a Meta Quest 3.

1) put the headstrap it comes with directly in the garbage (yes it's that bad)
2) if you want to use Air Play make sure you have a good home wireless network.

I purchased a MojoXR heatstrap that while being cheap is also surprisingly comfortable
https://www.amazon.com/MOJOXR-Adjus...ocphy=1015054&hvtargid=pla-1728861637195&th=1

And I carried these over from my Rift S to use as "over the ear speakers" and they fit perfectly on the MojoXR
https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-BNK-9...t=&hvlocphy=1015054&hvtargid=pla-448838184870

I changed my VR rig specs a bit too since I had to move the RTX 4090 to another PC I'm currently I'm using for VR:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D
ASRock RX 7900 XTX
64GB 6000Mhz RAM
1000W EVGA PSU
View attachment 610040
I've heard people say they also prefer Q3 over the pimax crystal because of the lenses too. All the resolution in the world doesn't matter if the lenses distort the image or make it blurry.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard people say they also prefer Q3 over the pimax crystal because of the lenses too. All the resolution in the world doesn't matter if the lenses distort the image or make it blurry.
Curious where you read that because it sounds more like cope on reddit, or misconfiguration. My Q3 looks great, is 1/3 the price of Crystal, and wireless is great, but there's a big jump with a properly configured Crystal driven by appropriate PC hardware.

Obviously a lot of this is subjective and there are so many variables - even variance in face shapes can be a big modifier to things like FOV and distortion.

Curious where you read that because it sounds more like cope on reddit, or misconfiguration. My Q3 looks great, is 1/3 the price of Crystal, and wireless is great, but there's a big jump with a properly configured Crystal driven by appropriate PC hardware.

Obviously a lot of this is subjective and there are so many variables - even variance in face shapes can be a big modifier to things like FOV and distortion.

View: https://youtu.be/mjjpR8pSxwU?t=276

Reactions: DPI
like this
I'm sitting on my monies waiting for the 5090 to come out. Each time I think about bitting I end up paying down my principle on bills.

My VR room/office is too cluttered to do VR at the moment. 😅

Maybe again some day.

Pimax 8K X with micro-OLED or micro-LED lens would answer everything I think. 4096x4096 per eye with such lens should work too.

4790k with 1080Ti. Badly wanting to upgrade but will need a $4k budget for what I want. Too many other things keep coming in the way.
Had a CV2,.went to Quest2, about to move on to a Quest3 this week.
10yr old kid plays more than I do (Gorilla Tag, Ballers), but I try and get in when I can (Half Life Alyx, Flight Sim, Racing...everything else depending on the mood.)

Last edited:
Original Rift and a 3070. Will upgrade if there's ever a game that makes it worth it, but everything I want runs fine and it's ... fine? Haven't found many great VR games so far. Just mostly do Beat Saber and Robo Recall still.

Pimax 8K X with micro-OLED or micro-LED lens would answer everything I think. 4096x4096 per eye with such lens should work too.
Pimax rumored to be releasing a cut down version of the crystal in Q4 this year. The headset will be strictly PCVR with no battery or stand alone hardware and oh yea 4K micro oled panels.

Original Rift and a 3070. Will upgrade if there's ever a game that makes it worth it, but everything I want runs fine and it's ... fine? Haven't found many great VR games so far. Just mostly do Beat Saber and Robo Recall still.
Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR)
HL: Alyx
Into the Radius
Moss
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

AB AETERNO - demo out, no release date yet
Metro Awakening VR experience coming out sometime soon?

I get you (and I know this post was from November) but there are some cool things out there. I've been trying to do some more seated experiences lately since I don't have room for standing/roomscale right now, and Moss is pretty good for that.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR)
HL: Alyx
Into the Radius
Moss
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

AB AETERNO - demo out, no release date yet
Metro Awakening VR experience coming out sometime soon?

I get you (and I know this post was from November) but there are some cool things out there. I've been trying to do some more seated experiences lately since I don't have room for standing/roomscale right now, and Moss is pretty good for that.
I really do not like alyx (see my post in the game review thread) - great demo, crap game, do better valve. I did pick up Radius, the wife loves moss, and I got red matter 1/2 and another one too. Just takes so much effort to fire up VR for anything significant...

I really do not like alyx (see my post in the game review thread) - great demo, crap game, do better valve. I did pick up Radius, the wife loves moss, and I got red matter 1/2 and another one too. Just takes so much effort to fire up VR for anything significant...

That's the nice thing about the new Quest headsets. You just put them on and play, anywhere.

I would recommend trying out BoneLAB. It's very much a VR game and not just a game made to work in VR like HL:A is IMO.

Hp reverb g2 with a 5950x and 3090, although thinking about downgrading to a 3080.

Only game has been flight sim, although want to try and get minecraft java figured out.

Not sure what else is worthwhile.

7800x3d, and my 3080ti with the vive pro that I have had since dec 2018 wish i had something with more vram though.

Finally got my hands on an 8KX that works with AMD gpu's and the 7900XTX runs it with no problems at it's native resolution using only 275 watts at 72 Hz. I can run it at 90Hz but that pushes it up to 340 watts and I don't like the heat output during summer heat so it's perfect there for now.

I still have my HP Reverb G2 but I'm not sure why, I never use it for anything anymore. I couldn't find another VR game I actually liked after Half Life Alyx. I played Skyrim for a bit but got bored quickly. Played a bit of Super Hot. Everything else just seemed janky. Performance is solid on the 7900 XTX and 5800x.

Flight sim with google earth instead of bing maps mod is amazing in VR.
There seems to be some debate about this as a matter of Altitude condition. Which do prefer for low altitude non commercial flight environmental quality as I haven't tried it yet?

Using the original Reverb with updated G2 cable and face plate.
Using an Intel ARC A770 LE with a Ryzen7-5800x3D.
Sims are Assetto Corsa...Assetto Corsa Simulazioni...Automobilista...Automobilista 2...Rfactor 2...RaceRoom Edition and Live for Speed.
Seated in 40/80 profile simrig.

Updated my sim cockpit with a new frame over the winter and added a 7950x3d. My home built wooden frame wasn't quite holding up to the direct drive wheel and gseat.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_153503889.jpg
    PXL_20240211_153503889.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 0
There seems to be some debate about this as a matter of Altitude condition. Which do prefer for low altitude non commercial flight environmental quality as I haven't tried it yet?
I prefer the google imagery in both situations to bing.

i also use google earth a lot for work stuff, so it may be familiarity.

When I had the occulus rift s google earth vr was awesome. Could fly like superdude around the planet in 3d and drop down to street view in small villages in the Alps to see the villages. Found a few valleys like that I'd like to visit one day before I kick off.

Back