So the OnePlus One is now here...

The OnePlus One, is almost one years old, and the 16GB version for just $299, still can't really be beat at that price range.

Once the official CM12S update comes out running Lollipop 5.1, this phone will be even more of a beast, and add to that the new Xposed, and all the battery saving modules that has as well, this thing is a battery champion, and still super fast smooth.

What other phone can you buy today at $299, off contract, with these specs and custom type stock Android OS ?

http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanogens-take-lollipop-final-testing-releasing-oneplus-one-few-weeks

The OnePlus One, is almost one years old, and the 16GB version for just $299, still can't really be beat at that price range.

Once the official CM12S update comes out running Lollipop 5.1, this phone will be even more of a beast, and add to that the new Xposed, and all the battery saving modules that has as well, this thing is a battery champion, and still super fast smooth.

What other phone can you buy today at $299, off contract, with these specs and custom type stock Android OS ?

http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanogens-take-lollipop-final-testing-releasing-oneplus-one-few-weeks

Can you even yet "buy" the 1+, or do you still need an asinine "invite" a year later?

Can you even yet "buy" the 1+, or do you still need an asinine "invite" a year later?

It's a lot better now. You don't need an invite to buy it on one day of the week, hah. But apparently you still need an invite for any other day, which sounds like you can get immediately after requesting so it's not as painful as it used to be.

You can buy it every Tuesday with no invite.

Other than iPhone 6+, nothing came close in battery life to OnePlus One.

My LG G2 had nearly the same exact battery life as my Oneplus One. Those two phones are extremely similar.

For me no. Never had the Droid Turbo but did have a Z3 Compact. Nice phone but too small. I still believe that actual SOT was better with OPO.

iPhone 6 Plus is better than all of them though in the battery department.

For me no. Never had the Droid Turbo but did have a Z3 Compact. Nice phone but too small. I still believe that actual SOT was better with OPO.

iPhone 6 Plus is better than all of them though in the battery department.

I went from the OPO to my Jailbreaked 6 Plus, and the 6 Plus has the BEST battery life of any smartphone I've owned and his 6 Plus can go 2 days easily.

But for Android phones, the OnePlus One was the battery champ for me, being much better than my Nexus 6, better than my One M8, and even better than my old and awesome Note 2.

For those who are curious... I had to RMA my OPO. I've heard not so great things about their customer support, so I was a tad nervous going into this. A few weeks ago, a portion of my touchscreen stopped responding. Here's how it went down...

On March 3rd I submitted a support request. I included a screenshot of a screen test app which showed (I thought) clearly the portion of the screen not working. The following day (3/4) I got a reply from a tech support person who thought (somehow) that I was reporting a dead pixel and tried to help me with back. E-mailed them back re-explaining my issue and that it had nothing to do with dead pixels. I got a reply that evening from a different person, requesting a video of the problem, which I sent the following morning (3/5). Got a reply the next day (3/6) saying my case was escalated to tier-two support, and I'd hear more soon. The same day I got another e-mail asking to attempt flashing a patch. I didn't really see the point, but I bit anyway. E-mailed back the next day (3/7)that the patch didn't do anything. Got a reply asking that I take pictures of my phone from every angle of the phone, including cover off. I got a little miffed about this, as it seemed irreverent to my issue. I guess they wanted to see that it wasn't physically damaged, but most people don't request pictures and videos to submit an RMA. Same day (still 3/7) my case was approved for RMA, I was asked to confirm my shipping information on the website and was told I would receive a replacement. I had a few more e-mails back and forth confirming if I would get a new phone or a refurb (my phone was immaculate and I wouldn't accept anything less as a replacement).

Same day, still March 7th, I got an e-mail from OPO saying that they have scheduled a pickup for me, and that the shipping carrier would contact me to make arrangements. They advised me it might take a few days. On March 9th, I received an e-mail form TNT Express Import Service with a small books worth of invoices, shipping labels, customs forms, battery declarations, etc. that I needed to print and sign. There was also a link to set up a pickup date, I chose to have them come get it the 10th. That afternoon, I got an e-mail asking if they could come pick it up that day (9th still) instead. Sure, why not. They sent me even more shit to print, along with overly complicated instructions, and a UPS label. Apparently UPS picks up, delivers to TNT, and then TNT handles the shipment to China. I was told to just put the UPS label on the box (which I got via e-mail about 15 minutes before he was at my door) and then just hand him the 8,000 other things I printed, and he'd sort it out. UPS man was utterly confused as to why they weren't inside the box, and what he was supposed to do with them, but said he'd sort it out. Admittedly, this concerned me.

According to the UPS tracking, it was delivered to TNT in NJ on the 11th. Tracking on the TNT website showed "Not found." Checked every day, kept saying not found. I decided yesterday that I'd give it one more day, then I'd call to see if there was an issue. Lucky for me, I woke up to an e-mail from the OPO crew that my phone had been received and they would be processing a replacement. To my surprise, a few hours later, I got an invoice for a new phone, with tracking, shipping USPS Priority from California.

So... I should have my new phone Friday or Saturday if it goes out with tomorrows mail. ~18-day turnout time really isn't anything to scoff at. Especially considering both that my phone had to ship back to China, and the people I was talking to were also from China, meaning they were replying to my e-mails while I was sleeping and visa-versa. Despite what I feel were some odd requests, all the people at OPO I talked to (which, there were like 5 or 6 of them...) were professional, courteous, and used perfect English. The return shipping with TNT was a bit more of a pain that it should have been, but kudos to them for sending a pickup and covering shipping costs back to them. I can't think of any company I've ever RMAed with paying shipping both ways for warranty service (not talking Amazon, but actual manufacturers). Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it all went.

That said, since I sent my phone away, I've been using a Lumia 635 to get by. I am so fucking ready to have my phone back :p

Cliffs:
-First contacted OPO 3/3 with problem, expecting to have brand new replacement phone by 3/20 barring any shipping complications.
-OPO support was awesome, and commutation was surprisingly quick for communicating with people on the other side of the globe.
-TNT (their shipping partner) is a pain in the ass, but pickup and shipping costs were paid by OPO.
-Not nearly as bad as the rumors say (at least, they have improved if they sucked before)
-My Lumia 635 sucks. I miss my phone.

EDIT: Phone delievered today, 3/20, as expected. It's a brand new, factory packaged phone. Good stuff!

Last edited:
So, dumb question. How do I check for Android updates? Under the About section in Settings it isn't there like all my other android phones

So, dumb question. How do I check for Android updates? Under the About section in Settings it isn't there like all my other android phones

For me, in About Phone, there is "System Updates" which does offer to install a newer version for me (it's wanted to do this since I got it a few months ago but I keep declining).

The only thing I can think of is that you probably have the latest version already, then. What version do you have?

What about the Cyanogenmod version? Just Android version isn't specific.

Also, I have no idea if it matters, but did you set up a CyanogenMod account? I do have one myself. It might be necessary to get the updates. But again, not sure. Just a thought.

You do not have to have a CM account to get the OTA updates.

The CM account allows you to sync your profiles, quiet hours and various other settings (WiFi and Bluetooth passwords). If you switch to another cyanogen phone, you won't have to set this stuff up again.

How well it works I don't know.

This is my second OnePlus One. My first I sold after a few months to try the Jailbreak scene on the iPhone 6 Plus, but even with JB, I still missed Android dearly. And the OnePlus One is such a nice phone, with AMAZING battery life, warp speed fast, and so smooth. I have to say I am really liking my OnePlus One a lot. CM12 on this beast rocks.

Really not just the cheap price, but out of any other smartphone, there's nothing else I would pick right now. My Wife has the Nexus 6, which I could have instead, and I don;t want that huge thing, with average battery life. Galaxy S6 ? Nope I hate Touchwiz, and battery life sucks. HTC One M9 ? Nope, poor battery life.

I picked up a Tempered glass screen protector, my first tempered protector ever, and it went on flawlessly. Can't even tell there's anything on the screen, very smooth, clear, and no fingerprints.

CaseBase;
http://www.amazon.com/Casebase-Premium-Tempered-Protector-Oneplus/dp/B00O6EQIIO

And I picked up a nice thin case, this thing has great grip, is a very form fitting tight case, and looks like an extension of the phone, not a big bulky case;
http://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Frost...427992140&sr=8-2&keywords=nillkin+oneplus+one

Here's my homescreen;

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tried to get multiple OPOs for work and the purchase order wouldn't get cleared due to the invite-only/Tuesday-only ordering system. Had to get LG G3s instead :(

Last edited:
OnePlus’ Oxygen OS is now available
http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-oxygen-os-availablle-598703/

OnePlus needed an extra week to deliver it, but its new Oxygen operating system is now available for download.

“Our goal for OxygenOS is to provide faster, more meaningful updates and a better-integrated range of services for every OnePlus user,” said OnePlus’ Carl Pei in a blog post. Pei emphasized the back to basics philosophy of the project, that values “performance and battery life over gimmicks and bloated features.”

Thanks for sharing the invite, my Nexus 4 is getting a little long in tooth, can't wait to get this phone!

Wow, the OnePlus will be a massive upgrade, from the Nexus 4. You'll love it. Avd the battery life compared to the N4, LOL no comparison, I'd say 100% better.

Will the OnePlus One Sequel look like an Oppo R7?

Last year's One is basically an Oppo Find7. Since OnePlus is under the same umbrella as Oppo Mobile (parent company being Oppo Electronics), I'm expecting the sequel to be close to something Oppo Mobile already has got again. R7 looks to be the only one in Oppo's current lineup to be "flagship" caliber.

I guess we'll find out on April 20th.

Last edited:
Agreed. Oneplus Two announcement would have been a much better choice.

1+2 not due out till Aug / Sept timeframe. And will still need an "invite" for purchase.

I am curiously interested, but that's really close to the Note 5 release in Sept / Oct, and if the Note 5 has the same cool design as the S6, just in larger Note size then I may jump all over that.

You read the part where the Two is confirmed to have the idiotic invite system....right?

I did. I would not expect any less from OnePlus. They made a nice first phone in the OnePlus One but there were,plenty of missteps made by OnePlus along the way so I would hope they learned from their mistakes but apparently invites are still going to be required.

The only thing that OnePlus really has is a low cost and insane battery life. The rest is run of the mill at this point and with the software fiasco between Oxygen OS and CM 12s I really don't know where they will go.

They have a hard enough time with the hardware end of things let alone trying to keep up with their own home brew OS or the fighting with CM. By the time the Two gets released the 6s, Note 5 and Nexus will be out or on the immediate horizon so the competition will only get stronger.

OnePlus has stated that they will be using more premium materials and the Two will cost more, but who knows,what that cost will be. I would assume it will be less than a flagship from one of the big boys but the closer they get to other flagships in price the less benefit there is to buying from them.

You read the part where the Two is confirmed to have the idiotic invite system....right?

Given how easy invites are to get, people give them away by the truckload on this forum alone, I'm not really seeing a legitimate issue with that.

The rest is run of the mill at this point and with the software fiasco between Oxygen OS and CM 12s I really don't know where they will go.

They aren't going back to Cyanogen. That much is for sure. And nobody should want them to at this point.

Given how easy invites are to get, people give them away by the truckload on this forum alone, I'm not really seeing a legitimate issue with that.

The invites are easy to get...now that the 1+1 is long in tooth and most everyone doesn't want one anymore.

Back