So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

Well got everything hooked up today. Originally it was a no power on unit that turned on when i got it and displayed the hdmi connection message but a had no hdd or controller. So i got the hdd and controller today and got everything hooked up, once I got to the xmb it was working for a minute and then got pixelated and froze. I restarted and got no picture but do have sound. I had loaded the latest firmware on a usb so from memory went through the menu to update. I could see it reading the usb but nothing happened after awhile. I eventually restarted the system and got a screen saying it was updating. system rebooted and now im back to audio but no video but my tv is recognizing a 1080p signal. I tried with the composite av cables and still no luck. Any ideas?

man, this has been driving me crazy all night, anyone with any ideas?

man i keeping trying to bid on stuff but they keep bidding on their own auction to raise the price. Makes me kinda mad.

All I can tell you is we've had 15 success stories so far since the thread started.
It was a mix between "no power" and "no A/V" for the most of them.....

QFT
Again I'm 0-for-1 with 'no video' (first one I bought) and 1-for-1 with 'does not power on' (second one I bought). If I were to buy another one, I'd buy a 'does not power on' one again because worst case scenario with those is a bad psu, and that's easily replaceable and shouldn't cost much.

'No video' could be a bad HDMI port, bad multi AV out port, RSX gpu issue, bad motherboard.... a whole slew of things. Again I've tried reflowing my RSX gpu with a heat gun which (if that was the issue) would supposedly fix it - but it didn't.

man, this has been driving me crazy all night, anyone with any ideas?

It could be overheating and shutting off the video. Have you put a fan (ie box fan) outside of the Ps3 to blow tons of cool (ambient) air into the system? Try it. The intake vents are on the right side of the console where the "bulge" is (near the disc drive slot), where all the little logos are for Bluray, SACD, DTS 5.1 etc. If it works with the fan on it, then you know it's a heat issue (and that's an easy way to figure that out without having to take it apart).

man i keeping trying to bid on stuff but they keep bidding on their own auction to raise the price. Makes me kinda mad.

Bid at the last minute, don't bid with time left. At the least, bid with like 30 seconds left. I usually start putting in my bid around the 10sec remaining mark, and after confirming, my bid goes in around the 1-2 seconds left point.

Just scored a premium 360 that does not power on for 75 includes all the cables accessories so even if I can't get it work I can make all that $$$ back by just parting it out. Hopefully it's just a messed up power brick.

It probably powers on fine. ;)
Either that or the power brick is bad which is a simple replacement. :)

Won this auction here for a premium 360. Came up to about $122 after shipping and taxes. Check out the problem note for the item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=380054558483

I bought a used wired controller for $20, hoping that would be its only problem. I hooked everything up, and the system works, as far as I can tell, 100% fine. There were no batteries in the wireless controller, so I popped in 2, and the sync does work, so i just
returned the 2nd controller. Not bad at all :D Also, it did come with the ethernet cable.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just picked up my used 60 gig "No Audio/Video Output" from DealTree here in Irvine. Stopped by BestBuy, and convinced the worker there to let me test out my unit. Plug it in via HDMI, restarted the video- BAM, working PS3. After I reformatted the HD, I threw in The Prestige, and I was watching it in its 1080P goodness :D

I'm so happy right now. Thanks U.N. Inspector! I owe you one ;)

Well got my 2 PS3s...

1st one 40gb (no power)
2nd 60gb (no audio video)

The 40gb is booting up, but came with no hard drive or caddy! :mad: I'm talking to customer support via email to dealtree. Hopefully I can get things worked out. I'm using the caddy from the 60gb to test everything out. On a spare HD I put in, it's taking a long time to format and it failed once. Maybe I put in a bad hard drive.

On the 60gb (no audio video) I think may be permenently screwed. When I started it up. I was holding down the power button to do the video reset and thought I heard the little "bleep" noise when a menu pops up. It was too late as my finger was holding down too long to react. I then tried 10x with different video cables and I can't get any audio or video! The controller blinks 4 lights and doesn't seem to be recognizing anything. The system smells like nicotine when the fans turn on which proboly isn't a good sign. I cleaned it off really well though (exterior) and put a blow dryer on cool to try and get any dust out. Hopefully I can get something to work out once it cools down. Hopefully not a borken GPU :(

The 40gb is booting up, but came with no hard drive or caddy! :mad: I'm talking to customer support via email to dealtree. Hopefully I can get things worked out.

Most of them don't come with drives and/or caddies though (unless specified otherwise).

Just get a scrap piece of cardstock or use a [junk mail] postcard, fold it up in a working manner, and slide the drive in with that; that's what most of us have done. :)

On the 60gb (no audio video) I think may be permenently screwed. When I started it up. I was holding down the power button to do the video reset and thought I heard the little "bleep" noise when a menu pops up. It was too late as my finger was holding down too long to react. I then tried 10x with different video cables and I can't get any audio or video! The controller blinks 4 lights and doesn't seem to be recognizing anything. The system smells like nicotine when the fans turn on which proboly isn't a good sign. I cleaned it off really well though (exterior) and put a blow dryer on cool to try and get any dust out. Hopefully I can get something to work out once it cools down. Hopefully not a borken GPU :(

That's how mine was; use a can of compressed air. The blinking lights on the controller means it wants to sync with the console which is done by hitting the 'Home' (PS) button.

The 40gb with the format issue, try hooking up the HD to your PC and formatting it with FAT32, I had the same problem but after formatting it myself everything works great.

Just picked up my used 60 gig "No Audio/Video Output" from DealTree here in Irvine. Stopped by BestBuy, and convinced the worker there to let me test out my unit. Plug it in via HDMI, restarted the video- BAM, working PS3. After I reformatted the HD, I threw in The Prestige, and I was watching it in its 1080P goodness :D

I'm so happy right now, I can't even explain. This bad boy is going up on the forums (already have a 60 gig PS3). Anyone want one? :p

Thanks U.N. Inspector! I owe you one ;)

I want one! So long as it works ;)

Ok, for the 60gb model. I let it cool down and when it booted up. it gave a bunch of blocks of white and black. I reset and then no picture.

I let it cool down again and then put a blow dryer on cool aimed on the back of it. It then starting blinking green, then yellow, then red. AGh!

Any fixes for this?
I tried googling about opening a ps3, but all I got was youtube videos of people opening their Ps3 :(

Won one today from the dealtree/sold_broken people. Will update as I get it. It's a no audio/video. Wish me luck.

I'm so happy right now, I can't even explain. This bad boy is going up on the forums (already have a 60 gig PS3). Anyone want one? :p

Thanks U.N. Inspector! I owe you one ;)
Ill take it for what you paid for it + shipping..:rolleyes:.C'mon man..Im sure UN Inspector didnt post this for members to try to turn a buck off fellow members..Sheesh.

Ill take it for what you paid for it + shipping..:rolleyes:.C'mon man..Im sure UN Inspector didnt post this for members to try to turn a buck off fellow members..Sheesh.

I'd pay more...remember there's a REALLY good chance that it won't work, and the guarantee that the one you're buying works, is a great deal.

Now, if he wants to charge the same price as a brand new one, it wouldn't be a great deal, but a guaranteed working ps3 for less than brand new retail is a good deal still.

I'd pay more...remember there's a REALLY good chance that it won't work, and the guarantee that the one you're buying works, is a great deal.

Now, if he wants to charge the same price as a brand new one, it wouldn't be a great deal, but a guaranteed working ps3 for less than brand new retail is a good deal still.

Hes selling it for $375 in the FS section..:eek:

Hes selling it for $375 in the FS section..:eek:

well, 60s when you can even find them in stock still go for original retail new, which is 599. Sonystyle had them in stock for like ten minutes earlier this week and they sold out.

It was probably a mistake to mention what I did in this thread, and for that, I appologize. Let's try to keep this thread on track.

So:

+1 for a "No Audio/Video Output" that I got to work by restarting video

Got the new 32" 1080P Regza RV530U. :D Just wish I had a better camera :( (picture hardly does it justice). Magnificent LCD btw. Got it for $750.00 from the Egg. Oh just for a little bit of info, the PS3 I got from Sold_Broken was made in January of 07' (the only con to the whole deal I had.) I'm betting I have the oldest out of the bunch, still works top-notch though.

I must say, even if the PS3 deal is going downhill, there are still some pretty awesome deals in this store. Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-IS-Velocity-...056476334QQihZ025QQcategoryZ179QQcmdZViewItem
I don't know what it will end up going for, but for a VM computer with a 3GHz C2D and 3GB thats a good price. Pop in an 8800GT for 130-150, and you got a banging computer.

Plus there are several PSP's for sale that simply need minor repairs to be working. Such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-IS-Sony-Play...6466160QQihZ025QQcategoryZ88433QQcmdZViewItem

An analog stick and a new set of buttons costs under 15 dollars.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3373
4 Dollars for an analog stick

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,6277.htm
9 Dollars for new buttons.

Still some pretty amazing deals left on this site in my opinion...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've picked up two 'analog stick broken' psps already, simple $1 fixes that doubled the value :) spoiled buttons are also busy to fix, I have one coming in soon that has a broken X button that I'm planning to fix and flip as well.

Do you mind me asking what your profit margins are from this? I've been tempted to do this myself since I consider myself a fairly seasoned PSP modder lol, I just haven't been able to decide if the profits were worth the time. What do you think?

Back