So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

You'd probably get a better deal if they didn't have dummy accounts bidding all the items up.

I managed to get a Laptop from ebay for my brothers birthday. Was only £50 and plays 1.6 pretty well. Has a Pentium 2GHz, 9600 and 512mb ram. Some of the keys are buggered on it though and the touchpad skips every 2 seconds.

Well, I give up and am going to put my unit with no video back up on ebay. I have a new Dual Shock 3 controller that I just opened to see if it connected and a 160gb Western Digital notebook drive that I stuck in and formatted but hasnt been used other than that since thats when unit stopped outputting video if anyone's interested.

Well, I give up and am going to put my unit with no video back up on ebay. I have a new Dual Shock 3 controller that I just opened to see if it connected and a 160gb Western Digital notebook drive that I stuck in and formatted but hasnt been used other than that since thats when unit stopped outputting video if anyone's interested.

How much did you spend total on the PS3 (not counting accessories/HDD)?

How much did you spend total on the PS3 (not counting accessories/HDD)?

With tax and shipping about $120. Gonna fire it on ebay for $60 + 20 shipping unless anyone here is interested. I know the power supply is good, and unit has sound but video that i can get from hdmi or composite. It had video once or twice, but none since. I dont know if it reads blu rays or not because I don't have any and theres no video. It's got scratches on it, but I'm assuming most do that people got as it came with no box and they are used, broken units.
000_0296.jpg

000_0297.jpg

If the warranty sticker + serial are still intact (or don't appear to have been removed), Sony will repair it out-of-warranty for $150 which (including what you've spent total) is still cheaper than an 80gig Ps3 bundle.

Just something to consider, that's all. ;)

If the warranty sticker + serial are still intact (or don't appear to have been removed), Sony will repair it out-of-warranty for $150 which (including what you've spent total) is still cheaper than an 80gig Ps3 bundle.

Just something to consider, that's all. ;)

See I thought about this when I received my broken PS3. The original problem was listed as "no video" which turned out to be fine. It was probably mislabeled since blu-ray discs/games don't work on it. The thing that stopped me was that it's an original 60GB unit and I've heard stories of Sony swapping them out for "newer" models. Rather than take that chance, I bought a new laser on ebay for $50 so I should be able to fix it myself hopefully. We'll see in a couple of days.

Oh, I thought they wouldnt if I didnt have the original hard drive.

No, I think they'll tell you to remove the HD anyway since it would have your saved data on it. (Microsoft does this with the 360 at least, and I don't see how Sony would do it any differently.)

But if phobic is correct (and he probably is), that would suck to send in a BC 60gig and get a no-BC 40gig model back (hardware wise of course; ignoring the HD space difference). The 'no video' ones are probably the hardest to repair though since it could be anything. Once I make sure whether or not I need to gut my 'no video' 60gig for the BD-ROM drive, I'll probably put it back up on eBay as well. :(

I wish I would've bought a "does not power on" from the get go (since those would be cheap and easy to fix), but at least now I've got one that works fine. (Only ? is whether or not it reads Blurays and I'm going to go rent something later to test that out.)

No, I think they'll tell you to remove the HD anyway since it would have your saved data on it. (Microsoft does this with the 360 at least, and I don't see how Sony would do it any differently.)

But if phobic is correct (and he probably is), that would suck to send in a BC 60gig and get a no-BC 40gig model back (hardware wise of course; ignoring the HD space difference). The 'no video' ones are probably the hardest to repair though since it could be anything. Once I make sure whether or not I need to gut my 'no video' 60gig for the BD-ROM drive, I'll probably put it back up on eBay as well. :(

I wish I would've bought a "does not power on" from the get go (since those would be cheap and easy to fix), but at least now I've got one that works fine. (Only ? is whether or not it reads Blurays and I'm going to go rent something later to test that out.)

Mine WAS a no power on from the get go, but when I recieved it it turned on and then no video.

So I got my Does not Power on PS3 w/o HD. It does power on without any problems. When I pop open the HD tray, there was no caddy :(. Component cable detect it with no problems.

So I got my Does not Power on PS3 w/o HD. It does power on without any problems. When I pop open the HD tray, there was no caddy :(. Component cable detect it with no problems.
Put a HD in it and just jam some folded paper in there to keep it from moving around.

Update my box arrived from Sony. It was 3 Day Select. It had a next day air label :D.

Anyways in the box it said I need proof of purchase. WTF!!? I called Sony they said I just have to write a note saying its okay.....

Anyways they recieved it today, and shipped out another one, so I will get mine on Wednesday!

All in all good deal $145 for a 40GB PS3 :D

Thanks UN INSPECTOR!

OK so putting paper as spacer works with the HD. Apparently the system retain all of the previous user info. Best $88 ever spent. Drive works. :) One slight problem, everything is output to b/w on component.

Well I got an Email from Sony! Read!

Dear PlayStation(R) Owner,

On 08/25/08 we shipped a PLAYSTATION 3 - CECHG01 and if applicable, peripheral(s) and/or accessories, to you.

The system was shipped to you via UPS. The Tracking Number is BLEEP6. To track your shipment, you may log on to www.ups.com

Your exchanged system will come with a 90-day limited warranty. Please note that, if the original limited warranty that came with your brand new product is still valid, it will remain valid for a period of 1 year. The warranty coverage on your replacement console will be the greater of your new 90-day limited warranty or the remainder of your valid original 1-year limited warranty.

Support Information
===================

If you have additional questions, you can view the FAQ section of PlayStation.com or send us an email by visiting:
http://www.us.playstation.com/contactus.aspx?id=select

If you would prefer to call us, you can reach our Consumer Services Department at (800) 345-SONY (7669). Our representatives are available to assist you Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

For information on our Privacy Policy please visit:
http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id-privacypolicy

When contacting us, please be sure to reference your Service Request Number which is 1-186898036

Sincerely,

Consumer Services
Sony Computer Entertainment America

Well I got an Email from Sony! Read!

Dear PlayStation(R) Owner,

On 08/25/08 we shipped a PLAYSTATION 3 - CECHG01 and if applicable, peripheral(s) and/or accessories, to you.

The system was shipped to you via UPS. The Tracking Number is BLEEP6. To track your shipment, you may log on to www.ups.com

Your exchanged system will come with a 90-day limited warranty. Please note that, if the original limited warranty that came with your brand new product is still valid, it will remain valid for a period of 1 year. The warranty coverage on your replacement console will be the greater of your new 90-day limited warranty or the remainder of your valid original 1-year limited warranty.

Support Information
===================

If you have additional questions, you can view the FAQ section of PlayStation.com or send us an email by visiting:
http://www.us.playstation.com/contactus.aspx?id=select

If you would prefer to call us, you can reach our Consumer Services Department at (800) 345-SONY (7669). Our representatives are available to assist you Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

For information on our Privacy Policy please visit:
http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id-privacypolicy

When contacting us, please be sure to reference your Service Request Number which is 1-186898036

Sincerely,

Consumer Services
Sony Computer Entertainment America

I got one back fixed yesterday. Pretty fast, requested a box Monday and it is already back.

I got my shipped email from Sony, I should have it on Thursday. I'm pretty sure I can resell it for $300, mmm 100% profit not bad :)

Ok, 2 updates

got the 40gb model working perfectly! I'm going to sell it on craigslist or ebay. Only problem is when you pick it up and tilt it, it sounds like something is rolling around in there :confused:

As for the 60gb (no audio/video). It seems like a lost hope. It turns on green, and i've tried using a blow dryer on cool into the fan holes and then it blinks red and yellow :( . However, if I don't do that, it just turns on green, and won't show anything. Here's what i've done so far...

-Multiple video resets
-HDMI, composite, component cables
-Letting it cool down overnight and try turning it on

The very first time I turned it on, I thought I got some audio but I was holding the video reset button to have it default and the next time it turned on, I got no audio or video. The one time I got any sort of video was when I turned it on, I got a bunch of black and white boxes. Any fixes or suggestions you guys have? I've thought about opening it up but then if I want to resell, it won't have anymore warrenty. Is this correct? in other words...

If I break the warranty seal, could I still send it to sony after and still only pay 150$?

Any other fixes you guys can think of before putting it up on ebay?

Don't break the warranty seal otherwise Sony won't service it PERIOD. Try contacting them and speaking to a supervisor tell them you got it as a gift etc they may cave in and fix it for free if you're lucky, worst case scenario you'll just pay $150 to get a new one.

Where is this warranty seal? I don't see it on my Does not Power on PS3

mine was going to come on friday, but it shipped to the wrong address ...sigh

I have to call and reroute, but can't do it until the day it's set to be delivered. Can't wait :0

The PS3 you snagged was a steal! Nice work. I love buying this type of stuff and trying to fix it. Here is my question for everyone in this thread.

What EXACTLY do you search for to pop up AS-IS or kind of broken items? Do you honestly just look through everything?

I searched for "broken ps3" "ps3 no power" "ps3 no video"

and started reading item descriptions, looked for low bids, and so on.

The PS3 you snagged was a steal! Nice work. I love buying this type of stuff and trying to fix it. Here is my question for everyone in this thread.

What EXACTLY do you search for to pop up AS-IS or kind of broken items? Do you honestly just look through everything?

The sellers "sold_broken" and "2ndturn-closeouts" are ones I used.

Btw, OP YOU ROCK! My first "no video" PS3 doesn't do composite, but will do S-Video and HDMI.

My second "No video" had a missing harddrive, and after installing a harddrive, is now loading my settings from my first PS3 just fine :D

Who checks these things anyways? :D Now I gotta figure out what to do with the first PS3.... Sell it obviously, but what's a good price for one that won't do composite?

I wrapped a spare 20gb HD in paper and stuck it in. It's a really tight fit so I have no idea how i'll take it out lol.

As a last atempt trying everything. I put the Ps3 in my frigerator to cool it down. It seems to have heating problems so my logic is to "freeze" it and try to power on to at least get SOMETHING on the screen.

^I know it sounds really stupid, but if I can just get it to start, maybe I can flash it to a newer firmware and fix any problems?

As a last atempt trying everything. I put the Ps3 in my frigerator to cool it down. It seems to have heating problems so my logic is to "freeze" it and try to power on to at least get SOMETHING on the screen.

Going from low temps to high temps like that will likely lead to condensation which will probably cause even more problems; I wouldn't do that. :)

Put a box fan outside of it where the intake vent is (where the little labels are on the side, ie SACD, Bluray, DTS etc) and try it that way.

Awsome news!
I put the ps3 in the frig for 10 minutes and I finally got video and audio!
It only lasted 1 minute before the screen froze and finally went checkard. I restarted and had no more video :(

BUT...this now gives me two options...

Should I open the ps3 breaking the warranty seal and put some AS5 on the heatsink and GPU to prevent it from over heating and possibly fix the overheating problem and have a working ps3?

Or just try to sell it as is and make up my losses from selling my other working ps3.

I'm really tempted to open this 60gb model PS3 but by breaking the warrenty seal, it may lower the resale value if I can't get it fixed. What do you guys think?

I tried again but didn't frigerate as long as the first time and had a hair dryer set on "cool" ready to go. I only got a few red blocks and no picture even with the extra fan or "box fan" :p . So I'm going to need to frigerate it longer, and then use the hair dryer in addition for extra flow but it still may not be enough...maybe the broken warenty seal is worth the risk?

I gave up trying to fix my no-video.

Think I'm just going to get a Sony card and get a new 80gb with the $150 off promo. Got a PS2 so I dont care about BC.

Well got my no power 360 today, it turns on just fine but the hard drive was not included which is not what the posting said. I'm not gonna RMA it though since I can resell it for 160 or so on craigslist which is double what I paid for it.

I'm getting broken ps3's on ebay and since I have my proof of purchase then I just RMA with sony and when I cant I have my BB warranty for 2 more years hehe.

then resell on ebay for $$$ and start over again :D

well, i sold one of mine more than I paid for it. Any advice for shipping overseas (other than tracking number)?

The other I sent to Sony but it makes me wonder if everything was going to be ok if it didn't have a small little dent behind the unit. I wonder if the receipt was legit even though it had auction typed all over it. Makes me want to try again but ich..i have no money

PS3 should come back from Sony tomorrow. UPS called, UPS always calls for a signature required deievery but never asks for a signature,

My 360 from Microsoft needed one the guy left it there.......

I'm not new to the whole PS3 as-is ebay auctions but I've been eyeing PS3's again (sold my old venture long ago) and decided to start watching auctions along with you guys. Won my 40GB Monday before lunch and arrived today right as I got home.

My auctions was a for a powers up but no video output, missing hard drive. Got it unpacked (practicly brand new looking everything), stuck a 120GB hard drive I pulled from an external USB drive enclosure and hooked her up.

Happy to see the PS3 needs to format your hard drive screen, did that and ran the newest firmware update off my USB flash drive and tada I'm in the PS3 menu now downloading demos and chugging away. Tested blue-ray drive works great.

I didn't try the composite port which may be bad but I can care less with HDMI and optical audio. I notice my square button on the Six Axis isn't working in the menus have to test it in a game and see how it does.

Here's the auction link for the LSI Distributors close-outs, lots of auctions see how your luck goes guys!

My auction won :)

*Update: control is fine, had to take it apart looks like the plastic circuit layer under the square button had a extra piece of plastic covering the part for the rubber to touch; that took care of it. 112 dollar playstation 3 rocking away :D*

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well, i sold one of mine more than I paid for it. Any advice for shipping overseas (other than tracking number)?

The other I sent to Sony but it makes me wonder if everything was going to be ok if it didn't have a small little dent behind the unit. I wonder if the receipt was legit even though it had auction typed all over it. Makes me want to try again but ich..i have no money

that sucks I hope it wasn't the receipt you got from the eBay auction, and I hope the one you sold didn't go to Nigeria! haha :D

Back