So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

U.N.inspector

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all.....
So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380046524923

I received it describing it did not power up. I plugged it in and to my surprise, it worked fine. I believe this company's tech evaluators don't know about the ON/OFF switch in the back of the console as it was off when I plugged it in. I went ahead installed an 80GB Momentus 7200rpm HD and bought MGS4 and have been putting the system through it's paces....What is even funnier is that the system has a manufacture date of May 21, 2008. It's 2 months old! wow....

My point of this thread is to spread the word.....This Ebay seller auctions ALOT of consoles and their evaluation of the items they get are minuscule and there techs seem clueless. Anyone wanting to try their hands on an item for cheap, are a little tech savy and willing to take a chance......This seller is a good place to look. Thus far, I received both a PS3 and a PSP and way below value.....stating they had issues with no issues found and both fully functional.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I heard another good tip is to buy ps3's that "have no video" because people switch between HDMI and AV, but don't know how to reset it back to default so it re-detects.

I still wouldn't take a chance though, because you could get 10 that don't work.

I heard another good tip is to buy ps3's that "have no video" because people switch between HDMI and AV, but don't know how to reset it back to default so it re-detects.

I still wouldn't take a chance though, because you could get 10 that don't work.

If not then you still get a console u can send in for repair for 150 or whatever they charge. So as long as you go in knowing you may get a big deal, or you may have to pay the 150, at least either way you save some money. Thanks Op ima keep my eyes open.

If not then you still get a console u can send in for repair for 150 or whatever they charge. So as long as you go in knowing you may get a big deal, or you may have to pay the 150, at least either way you save some money. Thanks Op ima keep my eyes open.
Then you have to pay another $100+ for a HDD becuase most 'broke' ps3's on eBay don't come with HDD's.

Well.....

I like taking chances..
So far, I have scored;

1. PS3 for $112
2. PSP for $40
3. Marantz DLP projector worth $2K for .99 cents.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1272425

*** there's more but they are unviewable on Ebay as they are over 6 months old.

Then you have to pay another $100+ for a HDD becuase most 'broke' ps3's on eBay don't come with HDD's.

:confused:
Hard Drives for $100? My 80GB Seagate 7200RPM was $40
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190216453558

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn nice grab on the projector. If you're looking to make a profit on it I'll offer up 10 bucks. Take it or leave it guy.

Nice work OP. It really is a win-win. Worst case scenario is you send it Sony to get it fixed, but you are still getting it quite a bit under retail.

Damn nice grab on the projector. If you're looking to make a profit on it I'll offer up 10 bucks. Take it or leave it guy.

Lol........
I received the projector at 1hr. There is already 1097hrs on it.
It's not going anywhere....lol....

As far as this latest find......
I've been playing with the PS3 for 2 days now. Average of 4-5hrs.
There's definitely nothing wrong with it...
Off to Gamestop to buy another game........

Dude, that is as kickass as it gets man. I was reading this thread on my mobile phone on a road trip today and was amazed and laughing at the "on/ off" switch being enough to rule out that the PS3 was defective. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for one myself. I already own all 3 consoles but wouldn't mind having an extra PS3 for the living room as a Blu Ray player... I hope to have the same luck as you... Thanks for the heads and the thread man, I would have never thought of this if it wasn't for you...

HOLY SHIT!!!

Following the advice of this thread, I bought a PS3 from this company. This one was reported no video output. I paid $79 for this thing.

I just hooked it up, and it was not outputting video. I learned from poking around that to reset the video just hold the power button for 10 seconds. I did that and then turned it on.

SURE ENOUGH ITS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND WORKING HA HA PS3 FOR $79. This thing is in perfect condition and manuf. in Sept 07.

Im off to buy MGS4.

HOLY SHIT!!!

Following the advice of this thread, I bought a PS3 from this company. This one was reported no video output. I paid $79 for this thing.

I just hooked it up, and it was not outputting video. I learned from poking around that to reset the video just hold the power button for 10 seconds. I did that and then turned it on.

SURE ENOUGH ITS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND WORKING HA HA PS3 FOR $79. This thing is in perfect condition and manuf. in Sept 07.

Im off to buy MGS4.

Congrats Dude!!!!!
Now if any of us have the type of $$$ it would take to by like 5+ consoles..
A killing could be made on resale...lol.

lol wow.

I might have to buy a second one and sell it if the chances are this good.

i dont see where the item description says whats wrong with it. i want to try my luck too.

bidding on a couple right now, they have the no power deal as the problem it wont work, hoping its like the op and its just the power switch thats not thrown.

Incredible!!!!

I'm glad to see fellow hardforum members taking advantage of this....
Yes, I could have kept this to myself but nothing makes me happier than seen fellow Gawd's
brighten their lives or fill their pockets.

FYI, I wouldn't try this on Xbox 360's unless it's the falcon chipset.

so what about sony warranty? do they require proof of original purchase? maybe if it doesnt work and we luck out we can still send them in for repairs?

I believe diggin through the forums.....all Sony cares is that
the warranty seal is still intact.

Mine from this company...the seal is intact.

cool beans one last question. For the consoles with out a hard drive how can we tell what they originally were? reason is i want to know which one has backwards compatability and which dont if i were to receive one.

Most of them come in the original box.
It says on the side what size it came with and the serial#, manufacturer date,ect...

aww i just heard from a friend that rma'ed his ps3 they require proof of purchase. damn.

Dude, that is as kickass as it gets man. I was reading this thread on my mobile phone on a road trip today and was amazed and laughing at the "on/ off" switch being enough to rule out that the PS3 was defective. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for one myself. I already own all 3 consoles but wouldn't mind having an extra PS3 for the living room as a Blu Ray player... I hope to have the same luck as you... Thanks for the heads and the thread man, I would have never thought of this if it wasn't for you...

Doesn't susprise me one bit. Anyway even if the unit does have a bad power supply you can always pick up either another power supply for 70 bucks or so(I've seen them on ebay for less) or pick up another one of these that is listed as powers on no video or defective optical drive and peice them together. For 250 bucks or so you can peice a working one together with 2 controllers and parts. Not a bad deal.

Congrats Dude!!!!!
Now if any of us have the type of $$$ it would take to by like 5+ consoles..
A killing could be made on resale...lol.

U.N.

I picked up one for 86 plus shipping. Figure I'll give it a wirl to see what it takes to repair the power supply if it is bad.

Does MS require proof of purchase? They have some RROD 360s which are definitely still in warranty because of the 3 year thing they added

Remember guys......

If you get one unrepairable....
Sell it right back in a same style auction.
Hell....Title it the same to insure it'll end up sellimg for what u paid.

I have bought broken stuff before and sold it as broken for more $$$...
Not much more.....but I didn't lose anything on it..

Does MS require proof of purchase? They have some RROD 360s which are definitely still in warranty because of the 3 year thing they added for RROD.

Haven't messed much with 360's.
Bought mine new (falcon chip).....didn't want the fear of RROD.

U.N.

Thanks for the heads up, gonna snag a 20GB PS3 that does not display video, hopefully it works so that I can resell it or at least trade it for something else on craigslist since I already got a PS3.

Sony only requires proof of purchase for free warranty service within a year. Outside of a year or without a proof of purchase, repairs are $150. Even that, at the price you guys are getting PS3s, its still cheap. Going to recommend this to my roommate who is looking for a BluRay Player.

No kidding, everyone keeps out bidding each other and raising the prices of these! Stop it! :p

Yeah I am going to keep these guys in my favorite sellers for a while and then hit them up in like 3-4 months. Hope that its still going on then!!

Back