So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

All I can say is that I gave in and bought a brand new 40GB... I'm impressed with it so far. Just wish I got a working 60GB so I wouldnt have had to spend so much damn money! Oh well, the luck is craptastic with me. :p

quit threadcrapping, you retail cheater!

j/k :)

My PSPs came today, one was a fat with no analog joystick. Replaced it for a buck, now everything works fine. The other was a slim that couldn't read UMDs. Put CFW in and a MSPD, good to go as well. Pretty sweet for $120 shipped total, I might sell the fat and keep the slim.

What was the "problem" listed with the ones you won? Did the seller list if it was a SLIM or a FAT, or you just got randomly lucky?

I bought a 40GB that would not read discs. After I got it, I felt it was to much of a hassle to try to fix it. Opening the PS3 Blue-Ray Drive takes 2 hours, and I did not want to do that.

I called Sony, I said my grandma bought my PS3 in December for christmas, and it broke while updating to the 2.42 firmware. The guy connected me to a supervisor. The supervisor asked why I did not have a reciept. I told him him why I did not, I also told him it got bricked right after the 2.42 firmware. After being on hold for 1 hour, the supervisor said he is sending me a box to ship it in. It is not going to cost me anything.

I will have to wait a week, but hey $160 for a 40GB PS3!

Has anyone tried returning it to a store for a new one? (ie buying a new one and taking the broken one back)
I don't see where doing that is any different than calling Sony with a "story" and getting a free repair.

Just wondering...

Depends if the store checks the S/N on the box and console. Best Buy does do this so it wouldnt work.

Target does not really check. I returned an Arcade console last month there, and I "forgot", the 256MB memory card, and wireless controller.

Target does not really check. I returned an Arcade console last month there, and I "forgot", the 256MB memory card, and wireless controller.

not to be jonny morals, but depending on your state, that's a misdemeanor theft, and potentially a felony.

not to be jonny morals, but depending on your state, that's a misdemeanor theft, and potentially a felony.

Yet calling Sony and fibbing about your console being out of warranty or claiming "gift" as a reason you don't have a receipt in order to get a free repair isn't? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to say two wrongs don't make a right but I don't see the difference.

Man I wish I hadn't have opened mine. I opened mine to try to fix it, and I used a hair dryer to remove the serial # and warranty stickers and put them on a sheet of wax paper. Problem is, they didn't stick right, they then fell off a table and now I can't find the warranty sticker. Sony won't touch the system without both stickers on it (I've already asked). I hear Gamestop buys broken systems for store credit, I may opt for that and just cut my losses. :eek:

edit nevermind the Gamestop idea; I just asked and was told "we pay like $10 for broken consoles" pfft whatever. I could part it out and make at least $70-$80. I'm going to call Sony again, see if I can get somewhere with paying $150 for the out of warranty repair despite not having the warranty sticker intact.

Anyone interested in a 60gb HDD with caddy for $45? I got this on e-bay and now I'm stuck with it. I tested it and it is 100% working. Send me a PM if you are interested, otherwise its going back on e-bay.

Someone help a guy out.

Has anyone tried returning it to a store for a new one? (ie buying a new one and taking the broken one back)
I don't see where doing that is any different than calling Sony with a "story" and getting a free repair.

Just wondering...

Probably not a wise move..Morals aside,inventory systems usually record S/N numbers and BB,CC etc train their staff to inspect returns to make sure they match the box..While the guy behind the desk says"wait here",you could get a free ride from the boys in blue...Not worth the risk IMO..

So anyone know of a good HD for the PS3? Anything 160+ gigs and what usefull things can I do with a bigger drive?

Yet calling Sony and fibbing about your console being out of warranty or claiming "gift" as a reason you don't have a receipt in order to get a free repair isn't? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to say two wrongs don't make a right but I don't see the difference.

Man I wish I hadn't have opened mine. I opened mine to try to fix it, and I used a hair dryer to remove the serial # and warranty stickers and put them on a sheet of wax paper. Problem is, they didn't stick right, they then fell off a table and now I can't find the warranty sticker. Sony won't touch the system without both stickers on it (I've already asked). I hear Gamestop buys broken systems for store credit, I may opt for that and just cut my losses. :eek:

edit nevermind the Gamestop idea; I just asked and was told "we pay like $10 for broken consoles" pfft whatever. I could part it out and make at least $70-$80. I'm going to call Sony again, see if I can get somewhere with paying $150 for the out of warranty repair despite not having the warranty sticker intact.

Never said that was ok either, but the store switch is probably theft or theft by deception in most states.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Man, how'd you grab one at $64.77? The ones I've bidded on all ended upwards of $100...

His system does not come with many of the components (e.g. controller). Buying all that stuff sets you back pretty quick.

Well. So far so good. Got this little fella a week or so ago. Arrived today. Issue per the auction was no video output. Looked a little 'used' when i got it out of the box. Plugged it in via svideo cables, no video. Did the simple reset by holding the power button and what do you know, i got video and audio. Plugged in an HDMI to HDMI cable and sweet, 1080p. In the process of doing a complete format at the moment, then an update to the firmware. The unit itself and the controller have definitely had a little use (to be expected with a used PS3). Additionally, the auction said that the USB cable was not included...it was.

Initial impressions...60GB PS3 for $178 delivered, friggin sweet. Thanks OP.

Man, how'd you grab one at $64.77? The ones I've bidded on all ended upwards of $100...

His system does not come with many of the components (e.g. controller). Buying all that stuff sets you back pretty quick.

Yeah, I just needed the system itself, nothing else.
I did miss out bidding on one that came with nearly everything for $76; stupid eBay acted like I hadn't logged in when I went to bid around the 9 seconds remaining mark. :mad:

Well. So far so good. Got this little fella a week or so ago. Arrived today. Issue per the auction was no video output. Looked a little 'used' when i got it out of the box. Plugged it in via svideo cables, no video. Did the simple reset by holding the power button and what do you know, i got video and audio. Plugged in an HDMI to HDMI cable and sweet, 1080p. In the process of doing a complete format at the moment, then an update to the firmware. The unit itself and the controller have definitely had a little use (to be expected with a used PS3). Additionally, the auction said that the USB cable was not included...it was.

Initial impressions...60GB PS3 for $178 delivered, friggin sweet. Thanks OP.

I thought the same until I tried the DVD drive. Did you try viewing a disc yet? My DVD drive was toast.

My second PS3 shows up tomorrow (a no power unit).

I got mine today; a "will not read disc" version. The BD drive won't read discs, any type, like the auction said, but the rest works flawlessly. Maybe I'll look for a disc drive.

My no power unit is on the truck for delivery today! I'll give an update here tomorrow after I try it out tonight. Hoping it's a switch or a video reset, I am downloading the firmware to USB right now to be safe and my 160gb hdd is coming tomorrow. What's everyone using for a hard drive caddy or if there is no hard drive is it still coming with one?

I thought the same until I tried the DVD drive. Did you try viewing a disc yet? My DVD drive was toast.

My second PS3 shows up tomorrow (a no power unit).

After the full format finished over night, i updated the firmware this morning. I chucked a DVD in to check the drive and it played no problem. So, I think I have a winner. Have not tried a BluRay disc or game yet (I have neither on hand), but from the looks of it, I have video, I have audio, it reads DVDs. Not sure what else could go wrong, but so far so good.

Just received the 2nd one. No go.

Unit does have power but no A/V. Reset does not work. Black screen. Unit power button then locks up since I cannot use the front switch to power off.

Dammit.

I'm going to attempt to "reflow my RSX gpu" on the one I have right now tonight.

People on Llamma forums say to use a heat gun; I'm going to try a blow dryer, and I may also try something similar to what they did here with the 360, which is loosen the heatsinks, power on the system and let it overheat (which apparently then reflows the solder).

I'll post an update later. *crosses fingers*
If this fixes a "video reset doesn't work on a no video system", good lord that would be sweet. :)

has anyone tried this deal with an "as is" wii?

I don't know what goes wrong with the Wii, outside of WiiConnect24 causing the system to overheat and have gpu problems. I don't know what the "innards" look like or what could be done (in that case) to repair the gpu if that is the problem.

360 and Ps3 seem like most things can be fixed; I'm not sure about the Wii. :confused: You might want to check the forums over at llamma.com and see what sorts of Wii problems there are. http://forums.llamma.com/viewforum.php?f=27

People on Llamma forums say to use a heat gun; I'm going to try a blow dryer

I'm not sure why people always seem to think this works. Blow dryers cut off at about 140F to keep from burning peoples scalps. Good lead free solder doesn't melt until around 600-700F. Heat guns are used because they (can) reach temps of 1000F.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, it's just that I see this everytime the heat gun trick is brought up.

She finally got to my house after waiting 2 weeks for an e-check to clear and United Pitching Service to come through.

The warranty seal still intact :)

And to my surprise...

As Borat would say, "Great Success!"
I opened the box, popped in the HD, hooked all the cables up (didn't even have to flip the switch in the back) and it worked perfect! I couldn't believe it. :D
Thanks a ton U.N. Inspector! I feel as though I owe you now... :p

I think I'll have to pick up a new HDTV pretty soon... Maybe the Toshiba Regza 1080P? :)

As Borat would say, "Great Success!"
I opened the box, popped in the HD, hooked all the cables up (didn't even have to flip the switch in the back) and it worked perfect! I couldn't believe it. :D
Thanks a ton U.N. Inspector! I feel as though I owe you now... :p

I think I'll have to pick up a new HDTV pretty soon... Maybe the Toshiba Regza 1080P? :)

Alright.......Nice Find :D
Congrats on the new addition to your entertainment line-up &
Welcome to the Club!!!

got the first delivery of 2 yesterday, 60gb version with no audio/video problems.

Attempted switch trick about 20 times to no avail, no sound/video through either HDMI or standard vga.

Also removed HD assuming it was a bricked ps3, re-formatted the drive, re installed with no avail.

Only noteworthy thing to pass on is when hooked up through hdmi, every time i power on the system, my westy Does auto-detect to the hdmi port, stays black without audio and displays no-signal.

waiting for the 40gb model still, will update later.

Just noticed that the unit I got today was really a 60GB model (not the advertised 40GB) based on the model number.

I'm not sure why people always seem to think this works. Blow dryers cut off at about 140F to keep from burning peoples scalps. Good lead free solder doesn't melt until around 600-700F. Heat guns are used because they (can) reach temps of 1000F.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, it's just that I see this everytime the heat gun trick is brought up.

It's worth a shot; I don't have a heat gun, I don't know anyone who owns a heat gun, and all I have on hand is a hair dryer (that does get admittedly hot). Again it's worth a shot, what's the alternative - sitting on it without trying anything? :confused: :eek:

Didn't work either way, not that I'm surprised. Cheapest heat gun I've found is a Black & Decker for $27 on Amazon; no local retailers (that I've called) have anything but industrial ones and those are upwards of $100.

Just got a xbox360 core delivered that I snagged for $60 with jammed DVD drive. Grabbed a toothpick and some tweezers took out the little rubber piece from the DVD drive washed it off and popped back DVD drive now works great. I got a $30 giftcard from Target so I just gotta get some HD cables and a wireless controller. Does anyone know if I can use a regular wireless adapter or do I have to get the MS one?

Back