So.....I got a PS3 for $100 on Ebay.

Just got a xbox360 core delivered that I snagged for $60 with jammed DVD drive. Grabbed a toothpick and some tweezers took out the little rubber piece from the DVD drive washed it off and popped back DVD drive now works great. I got a $30 giftcard from Target so I just gotta get some HD cables and a wireless controller. Does anyone know if I can use a regular wireless adapter or do I have to get the MS one?

Unfortunately MS makes you buy their wireless adapter for $100. Congrats on fixing that DVD drive; that is a steal.

My "unit does not power on" arrived today. Auction did not say but it was a 60gb. Got it for $78 + ship with no controller. Plugged it in and red light was on. Did the video reset and displays through HDMI. 160gb hard drive arrives today and I'll stop and get a controller. So far so good, guess I'll just have to see if it reads games/ blu rays.

My "unit does not power on" arrived today. Auction did not say but it was a 60gb. Got it for $78 + ship with no controller. Plugged it in and red light was on. Did the video reset and displays through HDMI. 160gb hard drive arrives today and I'll stop and get a controller. So far so good, guess I'll just have to see if it reads games/ blu rays.

Usually they're pretty good about testing the bluray drive, so if the unit you bought doesn't say anything about not reading discs you should be good to go.

Congratulations by the way :)

Usually they're pretty good about testing the bluray drive, so if the unit you bought doesn't say anything about not reading discs you should be good to go.

Congratulations by the way :)

How would they test the discs if they thought the unit would not power on?

Just got a xbox360 core delivered that I snagged for $60 with jammed DVD drive. Grabbed a toothpick and some tweezers took out the little rubber piece from the DVD drive washed it off and popped back DVD drive now works great. I got a $30 giftcard from Target so I just gotta get some HD cables and a wireless controller. Does anyone know if I can use a regular wireless adapter or do I have to get the MS one?

You can use a cheap wireless bridge from what I hear and save over 50 dollars. Google will give you the details.

My PS3 with no video arrives today. I already have a 160GB HDD laying around so hopefully I get some love. Will report after I get it of course.

I didn't realize that you could use ICS with the xbox360 so now I can share my wireless connection with it via my macbook. It was kind of a pain to set up but I found a really helpful guide which got it working in 5 minutes. I'm bidding another premium with a stuck DVD drive to resell :)

Try Lowes or Home Depot, I picked up a heat gun from one of those stores for, what I think was $25 (its been a while).

It's worth a shot; I don't have a heat gun, I don't know anyone who owns a heat gun, and all I have on hand is a hair dryer (that does get admittedly hot). Again it's worth a shot, what's the alternative - sitting on it without trying anything? :confused: :eek:

Didn't work either way, not that I'm surprised. Cheapest heat gun I've found is a Black & Decker for $27 on Amazon; no local retailers (that I've called) have anything but industrial ones and those are upwards of $100.

I just bought a "No Power" for $150 from Sold_Broken.

I figure my worst case scenarios are 1) Pay Sony $150 return and get a new PS3 for $300, 2) Buy a new power supply for $50 and get it for $200, 3) Re-sell it on Ebay and get at worst MOST of my money back. Seems like a win-win-win gamble.

Unfortunately MS makes you buy their wireless adapter for $100. Congrats on fixing that DVD drive; that is a steal.

You do not have to get an MS wireless adaptor. I am rocking a WRT54G with DDWRT firmware acting as a wireless access point.

Try Lowes or Home Depot, I picked up a heat gun from one of those stores for, what I think was $25 (its been a while).

Will do, thanks ;)
I called Lowes yesterday and was told they didn't sell them, but the guy *did* sound clueless. :D

You do not have to get an MS wireless adaptor. I am rocking a WRT54G with DDWRT firmware acting as a wireless access point.

I think he is meaning not having a network cable plugged into his 360. Its the only way I know of to have "wireless" to your console. Anyone can just plug in an access point with any equipment.

I picked up a Wagner HT 3500 Digital Heat Gun for $42.99 at Lowes on my way home from work. They had a cheaper model for $24.99, the HT 1000, but that only has 750F and 1000F settings whereas the HT 3500 goes from 250F to 1350F (and reportedly, reflowing the RSX should be done 300F-400F).

I just did it a few minutes ago, now I have to wait for it to cool down so I can hook everything back up. I'll post an update later. (crosses fingers)

I did it at 350F for 3 minutes and then let it sit for a few minutes, then I went back and did it for 3 more minutes at 450F. If reflowing the RSX is going to fix my video issue - this first shot will do it. ;)

Well, I finally got my "No video" PS3 today. I plugged up everything, turned it on...
My Westinghouse LCD detected a new HDMI connection.

BAM! PS3 displayed some message about wanting to use HDMI.

Seriously, I didn't do a thing. When I was fooling around with the HDMI cable, I noticed that if I wiggled it, the display would cut off. Seeing how I will rarely move the PS3 and I know what the fix is, I'd say I'm smooth sailing. I popped in my 160GB HDD and I now have a 160GB FULLY backwards compatible PS3 (it was an original 60GB model). I paid more than I wanted to ($120) but I saved a lot more.

The only problem I'm going to have now is deciding which console I want my games on since I have all 3 currently (although the Wii may be going bye bye). This rocks!

Thanks for the heads up OP!

I picked up a Wagner HT 3500 Digital Heat Gun for $42.99 at Lowes on my way home from work. They had a cheaper model for $24.99, the HT 1000, but that only has 750F and 1000F settings whereas the HT 3500 goes from 250F to 1350F (and reportedly, reflowing the RSX should be done 300F-400F).

I just did it a few minutes ago, now I have to wait for it to cool down so I can hook everything back up. I'll post an update later. (crosses fingers)

I did it at 350F for 3 minutes and then let it sit for a few minutes, then I went back and did it for 3 more minutes at 450F. If reflowing the RSX is going to fix my video issue - this first shot will do it. ;)

good luck, will be very interested to see if this works out for you.

Well the reflow hasn't worked; I think I may take it back apart and do it at a higher temp than 450. I think 550F is the next highest up on my heat gun. :confused: :(

My PS3 box should have been here by now....? Anyways UPS delayed it to Friday.

I bought an Xbox 360 Pro HDMI the other day it said the power brick smokes while plugged in.

It sure indeed smoke, but I have like 4 power bricks tried another one it worked :).!

BTW: The date is 2/24/08. Is this a falcon?

Also it had every sticker on it, Like the one you get on the eject tray, so it was not even used :)!

There are no Xenon systems with HDMI.

HDMI is the easiest tell. 175w psu, lack of a middle peg in the middle row of the psu socket on back of the console, a lack of a copper heatpipe running through the HSF - those are all the telltale signs of a Falcon.

OT I'm trying to reflow my RSX again, this time I'm doing the front AND back of the motherboard/RSX socket. I've also upped the temp; 1 minute at 450F (low), 3 minutes at 550F (high). I just did the back side first, as recommended on Xbox-scene forums (specifically for fixing an RRoD 360 but it applies here as well). I'm waiting 45mins for the board to cool off, then I'll do the front. I'll post an update later when I'm finished.

edit
Well reflow try #2 didn't work. :(
I'm throwing in the towel on this one (specifically, the board). Everything else works though so I can part it out and make some money back, which will help. :eek:

Yes, although I'm not sure how much I'll be parting out. I'll let you guys know.

My $64 "does not power on" #2 system comes today. That may require nothing at all, or I may need to use the (working) power supply from "no video" #1. I should still have the extra BD-ROM drive to sell (hopefully). Again I'll let y'all know. ;) Once I figure out what's wrong with #2, I'll have a good idea of what I'll be able to do with #1. :)

I JUST NEED the blu-ray drives i need 2 of them
but whatever you have will be great

Alright, so I know this is a PS3 thread, but I've picked up a couple of DS lites from this place so far. "Item does not power on".

1.) really doesn't power on even when charged - usually the fuse is blown. Google on how to solder a shunt in place to fix it

2.)powers on but no display/audio/activity - everytime I've seen this, taking it apart and reseating the bios seems to fix it. I think this chip must get jarred out of place.

Alright, so I know this is a PS3 thread, but I've picked up a couple of DS lites from this place so far. "Item does not power on".

1.) really doesn't power on even when charged - usually the fuse is blown. Google on how to solder a shunt in place to fix it

2.)powers on but no display/audio/activity - everytime I've seen this, taking it apart and reseating the bios seems to fix it. I think this chip must get jarred out of place.

Be careful, silverass will rat on you to Nintendo :rolleyes: . Anyway, good tips!

Best $64 I've ever spent!!!
IMG_1587.jpg

I need to try out the disc drive, but it works!!
I hooked it up, flipped the switch in the back...standby light (red) comes on. I switch my tv to HDMI, hold the power button til the 2nd beep (to reset the video), 2 seconds later "an HDMI connection has been detected". :D :D :D

I cannot believe it - I finally got a working one!
1 for 2 ain't bad!!!

"does not power on" eh? Powered on a-ok for me. :D
Looks like it came from the Marlboro factory so "mr. handy can of compressed air" helped me fix that little issue. (TONS of nasty tobacco in the vent slots) ;)
I'll post more pics later, and I'm going to go rent a BD to try out the drive to make sure it works.

Oh yeah, it's a 60gig. (no drive, no caddy of course)
Mfr. date December 2006. Put in my 160gig WD Scorpio.

0 for 1 on "no video"
1 for 1 on "does not power on"

Keep that in mind, potential bidders. ;)
OP thank you so much for posting this thread. If you ever come to St. Louis area, send me a PM and we'll go get some brewskis of your choice. :)

My "THE UNIT DOES NOT POWER ON" shipped today from Cali! I will update next week when I get it.

OP thank you so much for posting this thread. If you ever come to St. Louis area, send me a PM and we'll go get some brewskis of your choice. :)

Hell Ya on the Brewskis.......Congrats.....
Welcome aboard....

If your ever in Orlando, FL - PM Me prior...to coming...
I'm the Technical Planner (last 10yrs.) for all Universal Studios Theme Parks in FL...
Wouldn't mind showing ya around....Make ya hurl on a few rides or something......lol.
:D

Hell Ya on the Brewskis.......Congrats.....
Welcome aboard....

If your ever in Orlando, FL - PM Me prior...to coming...
I'm the Technical Planner (last 10yrs.) for all Universal Studios Theme Parks in FL...
Wouldn't mind showing ya around....Make ya hurl on a few rides or something......lol.
:D

Bidding on three thanks to you and the other stalwarts in this thread, we'll see in the next few days if I win any.

Well got everything hooked up today. Originally it was a no power on unit that turned on when i got it and displayed the hdmi connection message but a had no hdd or controller. So i got the hdd and controller today and got everything hooked up, once I got to the xmb it was working for a minute and then got pixelated and froze. I restarted and got no picture but do have sound. I had loaded the latest firmware on a usb so from memory went through the menu to update. I could see it reading the usb but nothing happened after awhile. I eventually restarted the system and got a screen saying it was updating. system rebooted and now im back to audio but no video but my tv is recognizing a 1080p signal. I tried with the composite av cables and still no luck. Any ideas?

Well crap. Mine was originally listed as a "no video" unit but today I went and got MGS4 to see if it was worth the hype. The PS3 won't read the disc at all. I popped in a DVD and it started up instantly. I'm assuming my laser is bad. Hmm... what to do, what to do?

HD caddy
Call Sony if you need one.
1-800-345-7669
Hit option 0, then option 1

I called the other day to ask if I could get a replacement one, or buy a replacement one. Actually, I called twice. The first time I called, the person was like "we don't have those to send out". (whatever)

The second call, the person said "let me check on that" and put me on hold. A few minutes later she said "someone will call you back" and then asked me when I'd be available to receive the callback at home, which I told her after 5pm. I never did get a call, but I didn't really remember about it either.

I come in to work today and there's an envelope sitting on my desk. I notice it says it's from Sony and it has the SCEA logo on it. Small envelope, little bulge...I figured "nah, couldn't be". Open it up - HD caddy wrapped in bubble wrap with a tiny envelope taped to it, assumingly which has the 4 screws in it. :D

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET :cool:

So I checked out the ebay page and they have a lot of these things going... how many of you have received one that said no audio/video and it worked fine? Because if this is the case I really am interested in grabbing one of these bad boys!

So I checked out the ebay page and they have a lot of these things going... how many of you have received one that said no audio/video and it worked fine? Because if this is the case I really am interested in grabbing one of these bad boys!

All I can tell you is we've had 15 success stories so far since the thread started.
It was a mix between "no power" and "no A/V" for the most of them.....

Back