Sleeping Dogs

Got a free copy of this with a new GPU. Something I noticed in the demo still bothers me about this - the floaty way you control the guy. Like, when you're running and he yaws left to right to make turns, but the camera doesn't follow. Sort of like you can't really turn like in most games, with the WASD causing you to strafe, but instead pivot. I dunno, hard to explain. Feels like steering a barge with a camera on an arm extended out behind it.

Got a free copy of this with a new GPU. Something I noticed in the demo still bothers me about this - the floaty way you control the guy. Like, when you're running and he yaws left to right to make turns, but the camera doesn't follow. Sort of like you can't really turn like in most games, with the WASD causing you to strafe, but instead pivot. I dunno, hard to explain. Feels like steering a barge with a camera on an arm extended out behind it.
Controls are fine. It doesn't have a floaty camera at all. If anything, the camera is responsive and also reacts well to changing direction (almost similar to Uncharted series where you turn Drake and there is a pause to actually mimick the movement change).

I guess I am getting old and cranky. I downloaded the demo, and immediately got annoyed at the "you got 10 seconds to chase this guy down while you try learn the controls." - uninstalled.

Wow, and I thought I was impatient! :eek:

Those instances don't happen too often in the game and there's so many other awesome things going on...you're really needlessy missing out. I hope you give it another chance sometime.

It really is one of the best games of 2012.

Wow, and I thought I was impatient! :eek:

Those instances don't happen too often in the game and there's so many other awesome things going on...you're really needlessy missing out. I hope you give it another chance sometime.

It really is one of the best games of 2012.

That is, before lasers and secret agents come into play. You know nothing of best games yet. :cool:

That is, before lasers and secret agents come into play. You know nothing of best games yet. :cool:

Only wimps and Commies need lasers and x-ray vision but oh yes, I'm locked in on November. ;)

I guess I am getting old and cranky. I downloaded the demo, and immediately got annoyed at the "you got 10 seconds to chase this guy down while you try learn the controls." - uninstalled.

LOL, I kinda felt the same way, but I managed to make it through without having to start over. I have a short attention span (and even less free time) to play these games so I definitely know where you are coming from.

Controls are fine. It doesn't have a floaty camera at all. If anything, the camera is responsive and also reacts well to changing direction (almost similar to Uncharted series where you turn Drake and there is a pause to actually mimick the movement change).

The effect he is talking about is really obvious when you first leave your apartment in North Side (or whatever the name is). If you run out the door and then turn to run down the stairs (all while sprinting) it does exactly what he is describing. Wei yaws around the corner like a jumbo jet while the camera does a weird slow follow. I actually like the effect, but it is very noticeable in that particular spot.

The transition from walking to running also isn't very smooth, but that's a pretty minor annoyance.

Finished the game and going back in to have some fun with the rest of the aux missions. I have ZERO complaints about this game. The overall gameplay, music, acting, the storyline, all of it was top notch in my opinion. DLC please!

Not the camera. The character movement.

You can change the stations. On the gamepad it is the D-pad, for keyboard it is the arrow keys.

Ahh, thanks:D

The story seems fun so far, but free roam is weaker then GTA. The city is small. Compared to GTA its very small. And much of it is non-accessible - GTA if you can see it, you can access it.
The parkour thing is neat, but it doesnt work everywhere, only in parkour specific areas.

Its fine, but GTA is still in a class all on its own.

+1

Holding out till GTA V

I think I'm almost finished. When you have the Funeral mission, how far is that?

I still can't stand the camera, and I still fight with that more than the people or cars I'm supposed to be fighting with. The shooter parts are done really well though. They have the right amount of punch and feel to me.

One thing I hate, is that with my ADD, I can not help myself from jacking those Knoxx trucks everytime I see one in the middle of my mission or going to one. And it's getting hard as hell to get away from the cops now.

I think I'm almost finished. When you have the Funeral mission, how far is that?

Not far from the end. You'll make it. :)

I still can't stand the camera, and I still fight with that more than the people or cars I'm supposed to be fighting with. The shooter parts are done really well though. They have the right amount of punch and feel to me.

With the patches and all have you experimented with mouse and other menu options?

One thing I hate, is that with my ADD, I can not help myself from jacking those Knoxx trucks everytime I see one in the middle of my mission or going to one. And it's getting hard as hell to get away from the cops now.

You don't have to have ADD to have that problem. :D

Not far from the end. You'll make it. :)

With the patches and all have you experimented with mouse and other menu options?

You don't have to have ADD to have that problem. :D

1. Perfect cause Armored Kill comes out tomorrow.
2. I have not expiremented with the in-game mouse options because the issues with he camera have to do with auto scrolling and stuff like that. I figured all it was was for just adjusting sensitivity. I have a Corsair M60 and even when I put the poll rate to its lowest, its still crazy sensitive and the positioning of it still kinda sucks for me. I had no issues with Batman AA and AC though.
3. Heh, so it's not just me. I would be all about a mission or a destination. Rocking out to the jams on the radio. Just cooling. Then I see a Knoxx van.... STOP. FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE! I"M JACKING THAT SHIT!

2. I have not expiremented with the in-game mouse options because the issues with he camera have to do with auto scrolling and stuff like that. I figured all it was was for just adjusting sensitivity. I have a Corsair M60 and even when I put the poll rate to its lowest, its still crazy sensitive and the positioning of it still kinda sucks for me. I had no issues with Batman AA and AC though.

Patches added new options. Look them over carefully if you haven't already. :)

3. Heh, so it's not just me. I would be all about a mission or a destination. Rocking out to the jams on the radio. Just cooling. Then I see a Knoxx van.... STOP. FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE! I"M JACKING THAT SHIT!

It really drives me nuts. ;) I'm doing something else and sure enough one of those comes by and I just *have* to get it.

What a great game. Can't wait to see what DLC they put out for this.

I've got the same problem with the drug deal hangouts.

You still have quite a good chunk of content left.

Is holding down space and tapping it to smoothly hurdle over something that difficult?

Ok clocked the game, pretty good storyline but it was too short. 9 hrs worth of gameplay + some side missions completed. 8/10 from me. Hopefully the DLC's will follow shortly sometime.

just finished the main story , and i loved it.

Hope DLC will add more to the story...

I'd give it a 5/10. Its in beta state at best which is too bad because it could have been very good. The following just make it near unplayable:

- Broken fighting system. Why does it take my character 3 seconds to react while he is being hacked to death?

- Poor movement/camera system. Is it really that hard to make it so I can run forward while panning my camera to look to the right?

- No quick saves. 2012 open world game. Really?

- Inconsistent saves. Playing a mission at night in a fast car with a knife and die or quit the game to resume later? You'll resume during the day, different car, and no weapon. Even though the NPCs are in the same state.

- Only 4 game save slots. Again, its 2012.

- Horrible performance. Lots of stuttering, low frame rates in general. The graphics look decent but the performance you get is very bad. Expect half the frame rates of BF3.

- Textures look rather shitty even with the HD texture pack.

- Horrible menu system.

- Odd driving physics. Press the ram key while going forward at 100 MPH. Your car might jump 5-8 feet to the right or left randomly.

- Too hard to get weapons. 10 hours into the game and I've probably only used a weapon 6-8 times.

- Obvious console port. Unlike Dues Ex, this is one horrible one.

- Keyboard won't work until you unplug your HOTAS. I imagine other USB devices will cause issues as well.

- 3rd person. It sucks having your player covered and being unable to see where you are going. Why third person games still exists is beyond me.

Its too bad the execution was so poor. The core game is fun. But it gets frustrating when you enter combat with the jittery performance, horrible movement/camera controls, and a character who seems to enjoy not fighting back whist being stabbed to death.

The pause in the fighting is normally the penalty for missing a block or another move. It's by design, I think.

The ram key while driving is tied to the left analog stick (on a controller) so you decide which way it rams. Works same with keyboard and mouse I expect, so it isn't random.

Keyboard works fine with a XBOX controller, just like Just Cause 2 did.

3rd person view is a way of life, you'll just have to get used to it.

The pause in the fighting is normally the penalty for missing a block or another move. It's by design, I think.

The ram key while driving is tied to the left analog stick (on a controller) so you decide which way it rams. Works same with keyboard and mouse I expect, so it isn't random.

I find that hard to believe. You see bad guy. He initiates the attack so you attempt to block or hit him. So instead of reacting you sit there and wait a few seconds and then fight/block? Sounds really dumb.

As for the ramming I can be driving in a perfectly straight line, press the ram key (to hit a car in front of me) and my car jumps almost another car's width to whatever side the game desires.

As for the 360 controller that is nice, but there is no reason this game should not work with a mouse/keyboard. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of PC gamers don't use gamepads and use mouse/keyboards for 90% of all games.

Again, the core game is actually very good. Just the porting, performance, and small things add up to make the game terrible.

I find that hard to believe. You see bad guy. He initiates the attack so you attempt to block or hit him. So instead of reacting you sit there and wait a few seconds and then fight/block? Sounds really dumb.

Maybe, but one of the perks (can't remember if it is triad or cop) is "reduced wait time for missed block" or something to that effect. Which implies it is by design.

Does anyone have experience running Eyefinity and/or Crossfire with this game?
Quite a few Steam codes coming up on ebay, presumably from AMD's games promotion and it sounds like a great game.

I'd give it a 5/10. Its in beta state at best which is too bad because it could have been very good. The following just make it near unplayable:

- Broken fighting system. Why does it take my character 3 seconds to react while he is being hacked to death?

- Poor movement/camera system. Is it really that hard to make it so I can run forward while panning my camera to look to the right?

- Inconsistent saves. Playing a mission at night in a fast car with a knife and die or quit the game to resume later? You'll resume during the day, different car, and no weapon. Even though the NPCs are in the same state.

- Horrible performance. Lots of stuttering, low frame rates in general. The graphics look decent but the performance you get is very bad. Expect half the frame rates of BF3.

- Horrible menu system.

- Odd driving physics. Press the ram key while going forward at 100 MPH. Your car might jump 5-8 feet to the right or left randomly.

- Too hard to get weapons. 10 hours into the game and I've probably only used a weapon 6-8 times.

- Obvious console port. Unlike Dues Ex, this is one horrible one.

- Keyboard won't work until you unplug your HOTAS. I imagine other USB devices will cause issues as well.

- 3rd person. It sucks having your player covered and being unable to see where you are going. Why third person games still exists is beyond me.

Its too bad the execution was so poor. The core game is fun. But it gets frustrating when you enter combat with the jittery performance, horrible movement/camera controls, and a character who seems to enjoy not fighting back whist being stabbed to death.

I have finished the game and while it was fun I can confirm some of your issues.

-Fighting system is better than GTA but still feels like a shoddy attempt at copying Batman AA/AC mechanics. That delay is just fucking stupid when u miss a counter, even with that perk u get later on. In Batman, if I missed an attack or two it was clearly my fault.

-Camera sucks and fucking right man, what the hell is so difficult with allowing me to run and look somewhere else at the same time. Especially so for cars.

-There are quick saves. Go back to your apt and take a nap. The game always saves after that. Or at any time you can hit escape and save on command. Not sure where the issue is with this. The rest of the issues with saves are noticed but not really that annoying to me.

-I got good performance and only saw slowdowns in like a few areas. The textures actually looked really good but it seemed this game only really shined when it was raining, graphically.

-Driving was a it weird but I liked it more than GTA. I always hated how in GTA, if you hit a pebble on a motorcycle you are fling off it. In SD, you actually stay on the bike for most bumps and bangs.

-This game wasn't really focused on weapons it seems. Only during the main missions did you really start needing them towards the end. The gunplay however was done really well. I enjoyed that almost more than the fighting.

I enjoyed the game but also shared some of your concerns, I think the rest of your concerns are mainly subjective and more-so your opinion than any overall fault with the game.

-There are quick saves. Go back to your apt and take a nap. The game always saves after that. Or at any time you can hit escape and save on command. Not sure where the issue is with this. The rest of the issues with saves are noticed but not really that annoying to me.

There are saves, but not "quick" saves. I am guessing he means a key you can press to instantly save.

Then again, I don't think GTA or SR3 had a quicksave button, either, so I don't see it as a huge problem. Of course I'd love to see more games with a traditional save system have quicksave for convenience, but it's not a deal-breaker.

The game's not perfect but 5/10 is INSANELY harsh. You must have been playing a different game than I was and by quite a huge difference.

The game's not perfect but 5/10 is INSANELY harsh. You must have been playing a different game than I was and by quite a huge difference.

I was thinking like, 9/10 haha. It was soooo good. But you know what they say, if you can't make games, bitch about them all day like a paid critic.

I'll disagree. I can't let huge control issues slip by. :p I was playing it some more and my character sat there for a few seconds instead of shooting his gun. I then tried to make a quick get away by getting in my car. Again, he just sits there. By then a cop gets me and I press the space bar. Yet again... the character doesn't seem to care. So instead of shooting, getting in a car, or resisting arrest, he sits there for about 7-8 seconds doing absolutely nothing. Now I lost my gun. :rolleyes: Which is another problem. The game gives you an open world, but no choices in how to go about anything. I spent a lot time trying to find certain items for a mission (a weapon or a fast car) and you loose them so easily due to bugs and other nonsense. You're then forced to play the game with the vehicles and no weapons. You don't get a choice in how you want to play. When it comes down to it, the game is almost as linear as CoD if you actually try to do something. The only freedom you have is driving around aimlessly and buying clothes.

I think my mini review is spot on. :D

Last edited:
I'll disagree. I can't let huge control issues slip by. :p I was playing it some more and my character sat there for a few seconds instead of shooting his gun. I then tried to make a quick get away by getting in my car. Again, he just sits there. By then a cop gets me and I press the space bar. Yet again... the character doesn't seem to care. So instead of shooting, getting in a car, or resisting arrest, he sits there for about 7-8 seconds doing absolutely nothing. Now I lost my gun. :rolleyes:

I think my mini review is spot on. :D

Yeah, I had zero of these issues. Never at any point did I not have control of my character.

Sounds like his keyboard stopped working... :p

Never had those problems, either.

If the mission requires a gun or car, there is always a gun or car nearby you can grab. I don't remember ever having to look for a car or gun to complete a mission. Sometimes you just magically had a gun when you did a Triad mission - like you get in the car without one, and when you get out of the car at the mission location, poof, gun in hand. Plus there are tons of fast cars just driving around you can carjack if the mission didn't give you one. Heck, I think even the face missions gave you a car if you needed one for the mission, so I don't get that complaint at all.

Because it isn't supposed to be a complete walk in the park? It's already easy enough, the delay is there so you can't mash left and right and never get hit.

Eh, I felt like the camera was only bad in vehicles, other than that it was decent.

GTA doesn't have them either, and last I checked this game was more like that than any other game.

Yeah I agree, the weapons were kind of annoying to get. Then again the game was focused on fighting(martial arts) so yeah.

GTA 4 had what, 12 or 11 and it shared those with an autosave and the Episodes. 4 Saves isn't too bad, there aren't really any major choices to make...

What settings? I got a constant 60FPS except every now and then with everything maxed except AA, which I put on the second highest

Depends, some look good and some do look really bad.

- Horrible menu system.

I can kind of agree on this.

My response in red.

Sounds like his keyboard stopped working... :p

Never had those problems, either.

Works for everything else. :D Also changed my mouse since I got the game. Had a nice one just now. Character stops responding, gets arrested. Loose gun + $25,000 HK. Then I respawn, start driving and I get a CTD. Thanks to the lack of quick saves, who knows how far back I'll have to replay. Which is why quick saves are a must.

As for the settings, I run everything maxed out aside from AA (at the lowest option) at 1920x1080. I get an average of 26-32 frame rates, though with stutters and lower frame rate parts it goes lower. BF3 on the other hand gets an average of 45 with lows around 25.

Works for everything else. :D Also changed my mouse since I got the game. Had a nice one just now. Character stops responding, gets arrested. Loose gun + $25,000 HK. Then I respawn, start driving and I get a CTD. Thanks to the lack of quick saves, who knows how far back I'll have to replay. Which is why quick saves are a must.

As for the settings, I run everything maxed out aside from AA (at the lowest option) at 1920x1080. I get an average of 26-32 frame rates, though with stutters and lower frame rate parts it goes lower. BF3 on the other hand gets an average of 45 with lows around 25.

System specs?

Obvious console port. Unlike Dues Ex, this is one horrible one.

I completely disagree. After the recent last patch the controls and camera seemed fine to me. They are doing a great job supporting the game, its completely playable with a mouse and keyboard, and has some very nice pc features. The game looks much better than the console version. It also runs well.

I really enjoyed this game. I think that its better than Saints Row 3. To be honest this game sort of reminds me more of Mafia 2 than GTA4. Maybe a mix between the two. I thought that the main missions were very good. I enjoyed quite a few of the side missions too. I highly recommend this game and I'm not normally a fan of third person action games either.

Back