Skyrim Modding Megathread

The sounds of Skryim is flat out fucking amazing.

I'm stoked to hear all these glowing reviews. I can't imaging the time it would have taken to compile all of these sounds, but hell yes! Anything to increase the immersion in this game is welcome!

I went into a Dwemer ruin, and it was insane. I could hear metal pounding, distant Falmer screeches. It really helped pull me in, I absolutely love it so far.

Being able to hear the rain/wind while indoors is cool as hell, when you walk in a cave you can hear a loud whistling entering behind you from the wind.

So as a long time WoW player, SWTOR, etc... Will the combat in this game aggravate me, generically speaking? I've never actually played an Elder Scrolls game but it's impossible to escape the hype and attraction of Skyrim. I've already come to the conclusion I need to get it on PC, but what concerns me is I've heard reviewers say things like "if you're playing Kingdoms of Amalur, it's going to make the combat in Skyrim hard to swallow again".

Thoughts?

The combat is one of the roughest things about the game, though it's really not as bad as people make it sound (me included), but yes--compared to KoA, it's very dull. However, I'd say it's only a matter of weeks before we see a mod which makes the combat more interesting, like Deadly Reflexes did for Oblivion.

That being said, the vanilla combat didn't stop me from believing that Skyrim was the best game ever made for about the first 30 hours played. It wasn't until i re-rolled that i started to see issues with the game.

Cool. I guess i've come to the conclusion at this point that even if it blew total ass compared to something like KoA I still want to try it. It doesn't appear to be a major stumbling block for the rest of the 10 million players so I suspect I can learn to live with it too :)

One thing I noticed while watching the CK kit tutorial (and this is making a large assumption that Bethesda uses the tools in the same manner) is that the maps are made up of predesigned pieces. Now there is nothing wrong with that. But many of these pieces are layered together, with large portions of it not visible to the player at all. Yet I would think the entire piece would still need to be rendered, because it is a static item. So you're wasting processing power drawing all of these items that will never (and aren't meant to be) seen by the player.

For example, say one of the many dirt/rock piles in the game. There are several of them that are premade. Say you want one in the corner - you drop it into the scene, and then you drag it through the wall so that only 1/2 or 1/3 of it is showing. In the scene it looks as though there is just some dirt piled up against a wall. Yet there is still a significant portion of the rock pile being rendered that will never be visible. Seems wasteful and inefficient, IMO.

But perhaps someone can enlighten me and I'm making an ignorant mistake here.

One thing I noticed ...

You know, i actually noticed this the first time i turned on no clipping... that the ground was in fact not the ground, that there was a layer of "bedrock" underneath and that all the elements which made up the ground were floating some 6 feet above the bedrock, with parts of various items in this void.

Pretty bizarre, and caused me to wonder the same thing: how much extra resources are being used on this hidden area? I have not a clue.

One thing I noticed while watching the CK kit tutorial (and this is making a large assumption that Bethesda uses the tools in the same manner) is that the maps are made up of predesigned pieces. Now there is nothing wrong with that. But many of these pieces are layered together, with large portions of it not visible to the player at all. Yet I would think the entire piece would still need to be rendered, because it is a static item. So you're wasting processing power drawing all of these items that will never (and aren't meant to be) seen by the player.

For example, say one of the many dirt/rock piles in the game. There are several of them that are premade. Say you want one in the corner - you drop it into the scene, and then you drag it through the wall so that only 1/2 or 1/3 of it is showing. In the scene it looks as though there is just some dirt piled up against a wall. Yet there is still a significant portion of the rock pile being rendered that will never be visible. Seems wasteful and inefficient, IMO.

But perhaps someone can enlighten me and I'm making an ignorant mistake here.

Just like how it was in Oblivion and I am guessing in Morrowind and the Fallout 3/NV games. :) AFAIK, unless you create your own model (such as making a rock that fits perfectly where you want it), you are correct in that you just drop it in and drag it in place.

Just like how it was in Oblivion and I am guessing in Morrowind and the Fallout 3/NV games. :) AFAIK, unless you create your own model (such as making a rock that fits perfectly where you want it), you are correct in that you just drop it in and drag it in place.

And while that's perfect for modders of moderate to no-skill (such as me) I would think the professional devs would want to prune off those hidden bits once the final portion of the map is completed to increase performance.

And while that's perfect for modders of moderate to no-skill (such as me) I would think the professional devs would want to prune off those hidden bits once the final portion of the map is completed to increase performance.

It was a trade off. The amount of indoor and outdoor cells they had to create it would have probably taken them much longer if they did it another way.

Maybe in TES VI. :p

They added a search box and the ability to view 9 | 18 | 30 mods at once to the Workshop. Good thing too -- I don't know how they expected people to wade through 1000+ mods to find the specific one they had in mind otherwise.

Some DoF (non-ENB) mods have been released. The nexus is having problems (once again) so I can't check to see how the DoF looks in-game.

Here is the thread link for one DoF mod:
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/559373-dragon-warrior-efffect-wip/

Thank Ya! Love me some DoF, I didn't really care of the color scheme but he's releasing a version which has a separate DoF option. This has the most aggressive DoF to date but I really like the near-based Dynamic Depth of Field, as it relates in real-time to objects and movement. STALKER SoC has some mods for it, and iirc so does Oblivion.

It's near-based DoF based on what I saw from a quick run through (not Dynamic). In other words the DoF line is essentially moved closer to the character, and applied not only to distant lands but to the area in front of or around the character. Dynamic (from what I understand) is actively applied as the character moves around and shifts focus to objects and areas directly in front of the character, the best way to test this is to walk as close as you can to a object of relative significance, which should bring it into focus and blur everything beyond it. Gionight posted some pics which illustrate this technique, unfortunately the ENB config that he posted doesn't actually use it, leading me to believe that he has tweaked some settings beyond the latest ENB release. When I attempt to hack the config it actually blurs the objects directly in front of you and focuses everything else. ENB noted that he has yet to actually implement this feature, but will in the future. Hopefully this new mod will address it, as I am not a fan of ENB series mods. I know some people hate blur and DoF but I enjoy blur in moderation and DoF in excess!

It's near-based DoF based on what I saw from a quick run through (not Dynamic). In other words the DoF line is essentially moved closer to the character, and applied not only to distant lands but to the area in front of or around the character. Dynamic (from what I understand) is actively applied as the character moves around and shifts focus to objects and areas directly in front of the character, the best way to test this is to walk as close as you can to a object of relative significance, which should bring it into focus and blur everything beyond it. Gionight posted some pics which illustrate this technique, unfortunately the ENB config that he posted doesn't actually use it, leading me to believe that he has tweaked some settings beyond the latest ENB release. When I attempt to hack the config it actually blurs the objects directly in front of you and focuses everything else. ENB noted that he has yet to actually implement this feature, but will in the future. Hopefully this new mod will address it, as I am not a fan of ENB series mods. I know some people hate blur and DoF but I enjoy blur in moderation and DoF in excess!

Thanks for the information. I am hoping for something like this without having to use ENB:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036717771&postcount=287

ENB has the basic DoF and there is at least one other DoF developed for it. For instance:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=822 (SES - Not sure which DoF this one uses)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RncWrgeMNi0 (Matsos DoF)

Is there currently a way to increase the number of shadow-producing lights active at once?

Edit: Fixed my pex issue.

Last edited:
Just installed "Dragon Warrior Efffect WIP" and I'm loving it. That paired with FXAA, only using sharpening tweaks, I've achieved the best looking settings I've personally seen.[/url]

I liked the DoF in that mod, but hated the color saturation. I don't understand why so many modders are obsessed with over saturating the colors. It's looks completely unrealistic. I don't ever remember it being this bad in Oblivion. But maybe that was because Oblivion had a more saturated look by default? A lot of the graphics mods I skip over because they mess with the colors in a way that makes the game look worse.

I liked the DoF in that mod, but hated the color saturation. I don't understand why so many modders are obsessed with over saturating the colors. It's looks completely unrealistic. I don't ever remember it being this bad in Oblivion. But maybe that was because Oblivion had a more saturated look by default? A lot of the graphics mods I skip over because they mess with the colors in a way that makes the game look worse.

Out of the 17 or so presets, half of them had a "cool" setting while the other a "warm" setting. I didn't find the colors over-saturated at all. I'll work on a screenshot.

Out of the 17 or so presets, half of them had a "cool" setting while the other a "warm" setting. I didn't find the colors over-saturated at all. I'll work on a screenshot.

Please do, I'm curious to see how your game looks. :eek:

anyone know if hayden has his widescreen fixer out anywhere yet to support new patch? using some other eyefinity fix and it sucks in comparison. don't even want to play it right now.

I find the same. I'm still trying to find settings that aren't gaudy with oversaturation.

I wonder if the monitors being used have something to do with it, though. Maybe on TN panels, they don't look so saturated.

anyone know if hayden has his widescreen fixer out anywhere yet to support new patch? using some other eyefinity fix and it sucks in comparison. don't even want to play it right now.

Nope, nothing from Hayden yet. I'm using Hellifax's plugin for the Widescreen Fixer, but yeah, it's nothing like Hayden's.

Apparently Hayden just got back home from a business trip on Friday, so he hasn't been able to work on an update yet. So I'd expect to see something soon.

Also, with the CK out now, maybe we'll see a "real" fix by way of a UI mod.

Just curious - what would a widescreen patch even do? Is there some kind of problem with 16:9 resolutions and Skyrim?

I love it.

I just wanted to see the rest of that interface finally addressed that UI doesn't like the whole starfield thing and the rest of it.

Do you know if Sky UI has any better way to do hotkeys? The main thing that annoys me about it's interface is the fact that you can't do any equipment combos to a single hotkey or assign to the left or right hands from a hotkey except for the clunky way it works now.

I mean just being able to assign a sword and shield to a single hotkey and a healing and ward spell to another would be great for example.

Back