• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

skyrim controls

The KB/M support for this game is AWFUL. It's blatantly obvious that it's a console port.

Half the time either the KB or mouse won't work in menus so you have to use some awkward combination of the two. Simply awful. Plus due to the forced VSync or whatever, in-menu mouse movement is laggy as shit.

Described it perfectly. I'm actually debating plugging in my 360 controller, which was last used for Assassin's Creed 2 and Super Meat Boy. I try to not read any news about games like this so nothing is spoiled for me, so this whole mouse debacle was unbeknownst to me before tonight.
 
I think this was mentioned before as well, but to add insult to injury, if you have a 360 controller plugged in, you can't even use the mouse and keyboard.
 
I had to switch from the 360 controller to the keyboard. The camera movement is too sensitive for me. It took me a bit to figure out how to get out of the character menu. I kept pressing "Esc."

But, I can definitely tell the game is very much a console port because of the 360 controller. The controls does feel more natural on the controller, but I'm more used to the keyboard and mouse. The menu is also another good indication they tailored it to be more intuitive for controllers than the keyboard as well. At the same time, I'm actually quite liking how quickly it is to move around the menus compared to Oblivion. It's just so simplified.

I think this was mentioned before as well, but to add insult to injury, if you have a 360 controller plugged in, you can't even use the mouse and keyboard.

Yup, keyboard and mouse is disabled if the 360 controller is plugged in. You have to go into the menu after starting up to uncheck that option. Again, if that right joystick wasn't so sensitive, I'd probably use it.
 
What's the problem with the controls now?

I went in expecting some fucked up console UI, but navigating the menus using the keyboard and mouse came naturally to me. The OP's claim that you cannot use the mouse in the UI was false; I'm able to scroll through the menus using my mouse wheel and click around without using the keyboard. It does ask for confirmation an awful lot, which is as simple as pressing E or click Yes with the mouse. I really don't see a problem here.
 
What's the problem with the controls now?

I went in expecting some fucked up console UI, but navigating the menus using the keyboard and mouse came naturally to me. The OP's claim that you cannot use the mouse in the UI was false; I'm able to scroll through the menus using my mouse wheel and click around without using the keyboard. It does ask for confirmation an awful lot, which is as simple as pressing E or click Yes with the mouse. I really don't see a problem here.

Yup, mouse scroll works, clicking in menu works, just takes a min to figure out exactly how you are supposed to do it, then its all cake.
 
It seems the Y axis sensitivity is bound to the current Frames per sec. If your fps are low, then moving in the Y axis with the mouse is slow. X is fine. Weird stuff
 
OK, there still doesnt seem to be any consensus on this, but after reading this thread I'm definitely not going to pay for this game until get to try it.
 
Can you customize the controls like you could in Oblivion?
 
Numpad keys are reserved

Jesus fucking christ

Yea they really didn't spend even one second thinking on how they could make the PC experience better.

They gave us mod tools, and couldn't give a shit about anything else except how to make more money from consoles.
 
Can somone please tell me how to get Vsync to turn off, its giving me horrible mouse lag.

I have tried Riva Tuner, Ray Adams Tray Tools and D3D over rider , nothing is working.

Godamn AMD drivers are bugged with W7

And the problem isn't with just this game, alot of them do it. I am never buying or using another AMD card again.
 
After playing a bit more with the UI it's starting to kind of work, but it's really unintuitive. Plus, how do you drop items? I see something that says to press R to "store"...seems to be the same as dropping but why the fuck does it say "store"? Kind of silly.

Also, how do you "pick up" items, like physically in the world? I thought it used to be Z for Oblivion but that doesn't work, and I can't find a bind for it in the controls menu.

I wish they would have just stuck with the Oblivion inventory/menu system TBH. With a mod to make it show more items per screen it was just fine.
 
KBM is working fantastic for me. I did unplug the 360 controller as it was going to that first. I haven't had issues with mouse lag and I have an older system.

The menu was not intuitive but now that I understand the tab(back) E(forward) it actually feels very slick. I can navigate menus entirely with my left hand and don't have to click on anything. While this may not be preferable for some it does flow very smoothly once you try to use the system.

To drag a corpse or pick up an object hold "E" by default. The use key. You can also bind keys 1-8.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/m8tnk/guide_how_to_use_18_hotkeys_for_items_and_spells/

Farther down in the comments someone goes through setting up dual wielding and offhand binds.

Dropping items is indeed "R" by default. On mine it says Drop not Store so I'm not sure what's going on there?

Please don't spread disinformation.
 
After playing a bit more with the UI it's starting to kind of work, but it's really unintuitive. Plus, how do you drop items? I see something that says to press R to "store"...seems to be the same as dropping but why the fuck does it say "store"? Kind of silly.

R drops if you're not in a container, and it stores if you've opened a container.

Also, how do you "pick up" items, like physically in the world? I thought it used to be Z for Oblivion but that doesn't work, and I can't find a bind for it in the controls menu.

Press and hold E (or whatever your activate button is). Only works on items, corpses, and such. I tried it with swinging signs and no worky.

I wish they would have just stuck with the Oblivion inventory/menu system TBH. With a mod to make it show more items per screen it was just fine.

I find this a lot snappier than Oblivion's UI.
 
R drops if you're not in a container, and it stores if you've opened a container.



Press and hold E (or whatever your activate button is). Only works on items, corpses, and such. I tried it with swinging signs and no worky.



I find this a lot snappier than Oblivion's UI.

I like tables where i can see the stats of multiple items for comparison. I like to be able to sort by weight or sell price so i can sift through the hundreds of items i'm sure to have in an Elder Scrolls game.

I'm not sure how they thought it was a good idea to only allow you to see the stats of ONE item at a time.
 
I like tables where i can see the stats of multiple items for comparison. I like to be able to sort by weight or sell price so i can sift through the hundreds of items i'm sure to have in an Elder Scrolls game.

I'm not sure how they thought it was a good idea to only allow you to see the stats of ONE item at a time.

Exactly why i prefer the Oblivion UI.

And I could have sworn it said "Store" when i was just in my normal inventory, but perhaps not. Good to know.
 
Anyone have luck binding certain weapons and spells to the number keys on top of qwerty? I figured out how to put items into favorites, but it takes longer than I'd like to switch between items in favorites.
 
I don't know what all the fuss is about, pick up a damned controller and get over yourselves. :cool:
 
I don't know what all the fuss is about, pick up a damned controller and get over yourselves. :cool:

Why should we? It's a PC game played in the first person perspective. Well done KB&M support should be a given in that situation.

My 360 controller is vastly preferable for a great number of games to me, but games from the FPS/RPG genre are not a part of that number. Not for me anyway.
 
Anyone have luck binding certain weapons and spells to the number keys on top of qwerty? I figured out how to put items into favorites, but it takes longer than I'd like to switch between items in favorites.

Simple, favorite something first. Then go into the favorite menu by using Q. Highlight over something in the list. Press a number. Boom.

If you have a spell hot keyed and press the key twice, it will dual wield the spell.
 
Why should we? It's a PC game played in the first person perspective. Well done KB&M support should be a given in that situation.

My 360 controller is vastly preferable for a great number of games to me, but games from the FPS/RPG genre are not a part of that number. Not for me anyway.

Exactly. And it's not unreasonable to expect that the KB/M support be at least as good as Oblivion seeing as it's, you know, the predecessor to this game. Unfortunately they made it fairly wonky unless you use a controller, which just goes to show where their heads were at when developing it.
 
Exactly. And it's not unreasonable to expect that the KB/M support be at least as good as Oblivion seeing as it's, you know, the predecessor to this game. Unfortunately they made it fairly wonky unless you use a controller, which just goes to show where their heads were at when developing it.

KB/M control is just fine. It's a little clunky at first, but once you get over the learning curve it works well. Mountain out of a mole hill with this. Oblivion's UI was horrible and beyond unorganized.
 
wtf, no non 360 controller support?

my desk is temporarily unavailible and my PC has been off for some time but after reading all this about skyrim working so well with controllers (and impatience to play skyrim) i moved it near my tv, hooked up my logitech controller and no worky!!!

so a PC game only nativley supports an console controller?
 
KB/M control is just fine. It's a little clunky at first, but once you get over the learning curve it works well. Mountain out of a mole hill with this. Oblivion's UI was horrible and beyond unorganized.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Oblivion, then. Definitely liked it better than this. I agree that you can learn the new interface but even after doing so I still prefer the old one better.

wtf, no non 360 controller support?

my desk is temporarily unavailible and my PC has been off for some time but after reading all this about skyrim working so well with controllers (and impatience to play skyrim) i moved it near my tv, hooked up my logitech controller and no worky!!!

so a PC game only nativley supports an console controller?

I've actually found that to be the case with a lot of games, now. I think I tried using my Logitech Rumblepad 2 controller on the latest Driver game and it wouldn't work at all. Ended up getting a 360 controller for BF3 and other games that require it. I think the change was in Windows Vista/7 where now the 360 controller is like "the" supported one. All the new Logitech controllers, while styled differently, follow the same button layout and configuration because of this.
 
Why should we? It's a PC game played in the first person perspective. Well done KB&M support should be a given in that situation.

My 360 controller is vastly preferable for a great number of games to me, but games from the FPS/RPG genre are not a part of that number. Not for me anyway.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but like most jokes it's probably based on a genuine sentiment. On your second point, conventional wisdom is that genre dicates whether you go controller or kb/m. Perspective doesn't have near the impact. Skyrim is an RPG console port, the UI has been designed & streamlined for the 360 controller. There's no fast twitch involved, you don't need laser precision with your mouse to track targets.

Why would anyone benefit from a kb/m config for an RPG/console port when it's SOOO clearly designed for the 360?
 
so looks like i would have to update to a newer logitech or use a 360 controller. i have hesitations using a 360 controller because i hear the RF reciever fails often...

So get the wired 360 controller. Way cheaper and it works just fine.
 
Also, I went to turn off mouse acceleration in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file, but the command wasn't there. I added "bMouseAcceleration=0" but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?
 
Also, I went to turn off mouse acceleration in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file, but the command wasn't there. I added "bMouseAcceleration=0" but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

It was there on mine.

The default SkyrimPrefs.ini should be (from a steam install with no modifying of settings):

Code:
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=5
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=2500.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=8
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=3600.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=500.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=1000.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=0
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bFull Screen=0
iSize H=900
iSize W=1600
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=3072.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=4096.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=3
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=10
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=0
fGrassStartFadeDistance=3500.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=0
bGeneralSubtitles=0
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=750
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=1.0000
uID3=0
fVal2=0.4000
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.8000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=25000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=100000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=20480.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=0.7500
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=100
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=5.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=3.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=6.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1

It's there in the controls section.
 
at the link i posted up above read post #9

You can't even click on options to select them! You can't move sliders with your mouse!

All keyboard driven.

An example would be this:

You are in the menu and "save" is selected...you can't just click on "load" or "settings". Your mouse pointer does nothing basically.

I'm sure you can work out how lame this is.

The KB/M support for this game is AWFUL. It's blatantly obvious that it's a console port.

Half the time either the KB or mouse won't work in menus so you have to use some awkward combination of the two. Simply awful. Plus due to the forced VSync or whatever, in-menu mouse movement is laggy as shit.


Only pirated versions of the game released by a certain Razor group has this problem with the mouse where you can't click certain items in the interface. The legit version does not seem to suffer from this problem.

....So yeah. Zing.
 
so looks like i would have to update to a newer logitech or use a 360 controller. i have hesitations using a 360 controller because i hear the RF reciever fails often...

Fails how? You mean in terms of reception, or the device itself? I had mine for about a year and a half before it simply shorted out, but a very simple sottering trick brought it back to life and its been good since, going on nearly another 3 years. I can find you a link if you want. As far as reception, works flawlessly.
 
Fails how? You mean in terms of reception, or the device itself? I had mine for about a year and a half before it simply shorted out, but a very simple sottering trick brought it back to life and its been good since, going on nearly another 3 years. I can find you a link if you want. As far as reception, works flawlessly.

The wireless recivers have very well known problems with dying.
 
My comment was tongue in cheek, but like most jokes it's probably based on a genuine sentiment. On your second point, conventional wisdom is that genre dicates whether you go controller or kb/m. Perspective doesn't have near the impact. Skyrim is an RPG console port, the UI has been designed & streamlined for the 360 controller. There's no fast twitch involved, you don't need laser precision with your mouse to track targets.

Why would anyone benefit from a kb/m config for an RPG/console port when it's SOOO clearly designed for the 360?

I am used to navigating in FPS games with a KB&M. To me, the 360 controller is kludgey at best in any situation on a FPS game, regardless of whether is also a RPG, and slow paced.

The benefit is obvious. I buy a game to play it and have fun, playing a game like this with a 360 controller is not fun to me. Other people may have different preferences when it come to controls, but that does not change my preferences.

It's not like it matters really. By the time I actually buy this, (when the GOTY comes out), sometime next year, Bethesda or the mod community will have fixed the error anyway.
 
The wireless recivers have very well known problems with dying.

Yeah, those receivers are crap, after a second one died in less than a year I just went back to the wired version with a 9' cord.
 
the keybindings are not that great, i set the use key(default e) to mouse button 4, it works for most part cept when i read a book, i cant loot it by pressing the mouse button, i have to go into options set it to E then i can loot the book, few other keys like the spell fav buttons, when i change the key for it i can open it with the new key but i cant close it i have to press the default key binding even if i changed it just to close it, or press tab. i use the arrow keys, numpad and the del, en, page down buttons that area of the keyboard it gets anyoing to having to go all over the keyboard to get simple things done.

I hope they fix this in a patch soon, but other than that so far its a amazing game
 
GlovePIE didn't work to rebind numpad keys, but ahk does. Occasionally a movement key will 'stick' and require that I hit it again to toggle it, but at least I can play.

Code:
#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
 
#IfWinActive ahk_class Skyrim
Numpad8::w
Numpad4::a
Numpad5::s
Numpad6::d
Numpad1::i
Numpad2:: p (remove the space)
Numpad3::/
Numpad7::z
NumpadDot::Tab
NumpadEnter::e
 
Back
Top