SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

Looks like I'll be holding onto Simcity 4 for a long time :)

A little help from simtropolis.com + some NAM = Simcity 4 is a little more lovable then the new Simcity.

Hey, it helps when Simcity 4 is still available on Steam :D

i'm enjoying it so far. the city size isn't a crippling as i had feared. that being said, it would be nice to have more space.

Damn, the bitching is immeasurable here.

Dremic, how's the gameplay?

Having a great time so far. Wish I didn't have to work today. However I am glad I got the game for only $44.

I have it downloaded now but won't have time to play for a couple more hours. Can't wait though!

Damn, the bitching is immeasurable here.

Dremic, how's the gameplay?

excellent.

first piece of advice though... build avenues.. cause you cant upgrade streets to avenues and they limit your growth.

but yeah otherwise the gameplay is sick. my city was booming in an hour and a half i had 50k citizens and my friend had like 10k with zombie infestations haha.

lots of fun

excellent.

first piece of advice though... build avenues.. cause you cant upgrade streets to avenues and they limit your growth.

but yeah otherwise the gameplay is sick. my city was booming in an hour and a half i had 50k citizens and my friend had like 10k with zombie infestations haha.

lots of fun

LOL, zombies already, nice.

Worth the price premium?

To those taking a moment to post about the game just wanted to say thanks. I'm still on fence on this and this thread is a deciding factor. I have a $25 gift card that I might put towards the game.

To those taking a moment to post about the game just wanted to say thanks. I'm still on fence on this and this thread is a deciding factor. I have a $25 gift card that I might put towards the game.

i will say that if online drm is something that bothers you then stay away, cause this game has such heavy amounts of drm its obscene. the first hour i played i was on the east server ( i live in vegas ) and it kept saying my city wasnt synced and i would have to rollback. it was infuriating. my friend wasnt having a hard time though so i restarted and switched to west server and it was fine. still really obnoxious if you ask me though.

other wise the game is crazy big. i found myself on the turtle speed just following people around and watching.

Hey how does work when you offline. does it cut off the cities in your area from trading with you, or you from supplying them with power?

Hey how does work when you offline. does it cut off the cities in your area from trading with you, or you from supplying them with power?

when i was watching the livestreams from letsallbemayor.com or whatever they said if you have an agreement then that continues when youre offline, like if you are buying power from a neighboring city that continues etc.

excellent.

lots of fun

Can you bulldoze the street and then build an avenue?

you can but anything built on that street will be destroyed as well, meaning you basically have to demolish everything and rebuild that area with avenues. its good to just incorporate both avenues and streets into your city to prevent this

i will say that if online drm is something that bothers you then stay away, cause this game has such heavy amounts of drm its obscene. the first hour i played i was on the east server ( i live in vegas ) and it kept saying my city wasnt synced and i would have to rollback. it was infuriating. my friend wasnt having a hard time though so i restarted and switched to west server and it was fine. still really obnoxious if you ask me though.

want to hop on your single player city for a few minutes before getting on with your life? sorry pal, get in line. wait your turn, apparently permission to play your own game is limited, and needs to be rationed out due to artificial scarcity. and deleting your progress due to sync failure as well? sounds super fun.

yj8h0DJ.jpg

I weep for all the stupid bastards paying to humor this circus, and supporting the systematic degeneration of our gaming market. screen cap forwarded from reddit.

Wow...hopefully by the time I want to play this, it'll drop down to $30 or so and the problems will be ironed out.

That is pretty idiotic. Why the crap are the servers unable to house all the players, especially when the game is ONLINE ONLY.

It happened with Diablo 3 and it'll happen with pretty much any hyped-up title that the idiot developer/publisher/whoever decides it needs always-online DRM.

It's the future and the future is now. Also in the future you will be able to login; but that isn't now. Classified information on a need to know basis.

spaceballs_at_now_now.jpg

Yea. Not happening. I played the beta and really love the game, but the single player issues with online servers is pushing me away. I just can't get myself to do it. I want to play the game, not wait for an online server to play a single player offline game.

$60? Great. Thank you! Oh, sorry, you can't play that now. You have to wait. Offline? HAHAHAHA!

I weep for all the stupid bastards paying to humor this circus, and supporting the systematic degeneration of our gaming market.

this is over the top and pretty unwarranted. sorry dude you could hang yourself in your closet and online drm will still exist and people will still buy this game. you can speak with your wallet all day and get no where, but id rather just pay for the games i want to play. I play games for fun.

dont jump down peoples throats because they dont give a shit about online drm, its not on us to agree with you.

id prefer games with no online drm sure but i still want to play sim city hence the purchase

I've been playing this series since the original. After the horror that was Spore, I just can't give any more money to EA, knowing they will fuck up everything I love.

I have no doubt that this game is awesome (I was never able to partake in the betas), but I expected sync and server load issues. Like many others, I refuse to pay for a non-MMO game that I have to wait to play. Once all the bugs are worked out, this will end up in my rotation. Until then, I'll have to satisfy my Sim City needs with YouTube videos.

That's a repost shown as having been posted 9 hours ago (no idea when it was posted originally), but doing the math that puts it at 4am eastern time. I'm not sure if the game unlocked at midnight eastern, or midnight pacific, but either way (given the history of how these things have gone) who didn't expect this? Why is there so much 'outrage' for something everyone saw coming?

I was able to download and play at 4.30am eastern time this morning, no wait, no nothing. I understand the frustration, but people know what they're getting into.

this is over the top and pretty unwarranted. sorry dude you could hang yourself in your closet and online drm will still exist and people will still buy this game. you can speak with your wallet all day and get no where, but id rather just pay for the games i want to play. I play games for fun.

dont jump down peoples throats because they dont give a shit about online drm, its not on us to agree with you.

id prefer games with no online drm sure but i still want to play sim city hence the purchase

dont take it personal, that wasn't aimed at you specifically. but, you reap what you sow. as long as you keep paying for it, they'll keep doing it.

That's a repost shown as having been posted 9 hours ago (no idea when it was posted originally), but doing the math that puts it at 4am eastern time. I'm not sure if the game unlocked at midnight eastern, or midnight pacific, but either way (given the history of how these things have gone) who didn't expect this? Why is there so much 'outrage' for something everyone saw coming?

I was able to download and play at 4.30am eastern time this morning, no wait, no nothing. I understand the frustration, but people know what they're getting into.

so as long as it only happens some of the time, but not all of the time, it's ok. not sure what a repost or time of release has to do with anything. it's happening to someone, somewhere, after the game is out. no problem as long as it's not you?

dont take it personal, that wasn't aimed at you specifically. but, you reap what you sow. as long as you keep paying for it, they'll keep doing it.

so as long as it only happens some of the time, but not all of the time, it's ok. not sure what a repost or time of release has to do with anything. it's happening to someone, somewhere, after the game is out. no problem as long as it's not you?

Where have you been since the dawn of time? Everyone is selfish, and everyone is happy, when things go right for them. What benefit is it to anyone to give a crap about why their shit isn't as good as your shit?

Harsh reality, heh. I wish things worked perfectly for everyone, but it's just not how the dice rolls.

I have never played the Sim City series. I love RTS games (Sins of a Solar Empire) and the Total War series. You think i will enjoy Sim City?

Don't like games like the Sims.

I have never played the Sim City series. I love RTS games (Sins of a Solar Empire) and the Total War series. You think i will enjoy Sim City?

Don't like games like the Sims.

If you liked those games, there's no reason you wouldn't like this. There's no fighting however, at least physical confrontation. It's mostly a pure simulator, in that you control everything that happens within your city.

If you liked those games, there's no reason you wouldn't like this. There's no fighting however, at least physical confrontation. It's mostly a pure simulator, in that you control everything that happens within your city.

I enjoyed the combat, but i preferred to win via economy and politics.

Rise of Nations was another game i loved and i always tried to beat the game without combat.

I will definitely buy this game in a month or two once i have the free time. My only problem with games like Sim City if it's like Total War is, I don't stop playing once i stop. It turns into a marathon because i become addicted. One more turn turns into five hundred turns and i realize it's 4:00 AM and i have to be up for work in one hour.

I enjoyed the combat, but i preferred to win via economy and politics.

Rise of Nations was another game i loved and i always tried to beat the game without combat.

I will definitely buy this game in a month or two once i have the free time. My only problem with games like Sim City if it's like Total War is, I don't stop playing once i stop. It turns into a marathon because i become addicted. One more turn turns into five hundred turns and i realize it's 4:00 AM and i have to be up for work in one hour.

addiction warning necessary ? haha

i would definitely consider it a strategy game.

This one was an easy call for both haters and lovers of Sim City 5. Once the server issues are resolved in a few weeks we will start to get real reviews of the game. I wish they would do away with this online required crap.

I'm pointing out that it hasn't happened to *everyone*. Nothing to do with being selfish, I'm just laughing about how excitable everyone is about something we all KNEW would happen. Look at it this way: isn't it anticlimactic?

Regarding the time stamp, I'm saying that screenshot must have been taken at most a few hours from release when all the servers were getting reamed. Again, I'm not defending the use of the always-online system, or them perhaps not having found some magical solution to solve the problem, I'm simply saying: we have had many examples of how unreliable online-only games are on launch day (either because of DRM or the games were MMOs), so why is this a surprise?

I'm pointing out that it hasn't happened to *everyone*. Nothing to do with being selfish, I'm just laughing about how excitable everyone is about something we all KNEW would happen. Look at it this way: isn't it anticlimactic?

Regarding the time stamp, I'm saying that screenshot must have been taken at most a few hours from release when all the servers were getting reamed. Again, I'm not defending the use of the always-online system, or them perhaps not having found some magical solution to solve the problem, I'm simply saying: we have had many examples of how unreliable online-only games are on launch day (either because of DRM or the games were MMOs), so why is this a surprise?

It shouldn't be a surprise and isn't. What is a surprise is how the industry continues to struggle with this model. You know how many copies have pre-ordered, you know how many copies you have printed, and you have metrics to predict sales, yet game after game fails to properly prepare an online environment for launch. You can count on one hand how many games have done it right, and that is remarkable in this mature of a market.

It shouldn't be a surprise and isn't. What is a surprise is how the industry continues to struggle with this model. You know how many copies have pre-ordered, you know how many copies you have printed, and you have metrics to predict sales, yet game after game fails to properly prepare an online environment for launch. You can count on one hand how many games have done it right, and that is remarkable in this mature of a market.

I think it's the ZOMG screenshot posts that get me a bit. Maybe I'm more of a pessimist than most.

I'm not sure I can think of a single game actually that has launched smoothly? I guess I haven't been playing at 12am/3am on most launch days though.

i think they did okay, i havent heard any problems except for at midnight last night.

diablo 3 was much much worse. it was like 3 days of shit fest

Well, you can't, but I avoided avenues to bulldoze later. Pretty much like most Sim City games, build a small self sustainable town, leave it running all night, come back with a few million in spare money to bulldoze everything and start the larger city.

man, people are hating it on the review. why didn't these morons check it out before it was released?

I had a chance to talk to Ocean Quigley - he was on event in Poland to promote SimCity. I asked him about terraforming, and he told me, that they didn't want player to play god, but mayor, so Maxis deliberately cut out the modifications of terrain from the game.

He also said, that the reason, why you can't like in previous parts, to generate random terrain is, that the team spent really lots of time on preparing the maps - one map take about 2-3 weeks, and they carefully placed the resources like water and oil. So there will not be any modding tools release any time soon.

But, of course, he said that there will be map packs in future - knowing EA and microtransactions, well, it's golden opportunity :)

I think it's the ZOMG screenshot posts that get me a bit. Maybe I'm more of a pessimist than most.

I'm not sure I can think of a single game actually that has launched smoothly? I guess I haven't been playing at 12am/3am on most launch days though.

somebody has already said it in this thread i believe, but they (everyone) just don't feel like investing huge wads of cash in their infrastructure when they'll never see this kind of volume again after today and tomorrow.

sucks for you and i, the consumer, on launch day. but it makes sense from a business perspective. assholes.

Back