Silverstone TJ09!

How exactly did you fix the bowed panel?

I just grabbed the top edge, roughly in the middle and bent it ever so slightly (maybe even very slightly over-straightened it) and so as not to do kink the metal edge. It's been straight as a rail and no bulging ever since.

Thinking about getting this case with a PCP&C 750W power supply. However, my mobo's power cable is at the very top, and I know the ps is at the bottom of the case. Has anyone had issues with the length of hte power supply cable not reaching the motherboard? Thanks.

Thinking about getting this case with a PCP&C 750W power supply. However, my mobo's power cable is at the very top, and I know the ps is at the bottom of the case. Has anyone had issues with the length of hte power supply cable not reaching the motherboard? Thanks.

My OP1000 reaches the very top corner of the 680i :) Lets just say I was one very happy camper.

Hello all ...

I just got my Silverstone TJ-09 (Black w/ Window) and I LOVE IT. The room, the design, the quality, the EVERYTHING ... all B-E-A-Utiful.

I guess my only concern was when I plugged in the Silverstone fan in between the two HDD cages and the wires caught fire ... not good.

Anywho ... I will post some pics later on ... YAY

Blocatan
www.daklan.org

Where's your pics Ockie??? I want to see your very outstanding workmanship on the TJ09. :cool:

Yea yea yeah, I've just been really busy latley :( I should have pics on the camera, but they do no justice... I have to take new ones.

Oh, it would have been much better if I could have found a plating company here :(

Hello all ...

I just got my Silverstone TJ-09 (Black w/ Window) and I LOVE IT. The room, the design, the quality, the EVERYTHING ... all B-E-A-Utiful.

I guess my only concern was when I plugged in the Silverstone fan in between the two HDD cages and the wires caught fire ... not good.

Anywho ... I will post some pics later on ... YAY

Blocatan
www.daklan.org

Oh my, such a positive outlook on the situation after something so bad happened! Any clue why the wires caught fire? Was there a short or tear in the wiring itself? I guess if there had to be a positive outlook on it, be glad it happened right away and not hours later when you may have been out of the house. The fans feeding that flame oxygen would have been disastrous to your system and perhaps your house.

I take it you are going to have to swap that internal fan out for something else now?

Pics for sure please.

FIRE!!!!!! FIRE!!!!!!!! /beavis

lol.. that sucks, but was prolly just a shorted wire on the fan.. these things happen from time to time.. it's better to have it happen right then, then happen when you're not around and have the whole thing go up. :eek:

anyways.. welcom to team TJ09! :)

Oh my, such a positive outlook on the situation after something so bad happened! Any clue why the wires caught fire? Was there a short or tear in the wiring itself? I guess if there had to be a positive outlook on it, be glad it happened right away and not hours later when you may have been out of the house. The fans feeding that flame oxygen would have been disastrous to your system and perhaps your house.

I take it you are going to have to swap that internal fan out for something else now?

Pics for sure please.

Yeah, I can not help but have a positive attitude when this stuff happens .... It sucks, but i was there to catch it.

The pics of the case and the burnt wires below. I sent some pics of the fan (which the fan is still fine, just the wires got fried) and asked them to do something about it.

The "funny" thing about it was my immediate reaction was to grab the wires and yank them away from their power source. It worked, but my fingerprints have all be permanently changed and it ripped the already fried red wire in two ...

I did inspect it before putting it into place, and everything was fine. I even had it running for a while at the back of the case ... whatever ... such is life.

HEY .. did you know it is hard to take pictures of tiny wires .. I tried :|

First the Finished product ...

ate1.JPG

ate2.JPG

ate4.JPG

And the burnt wires ..

fan2.JPG

fan6.JPG

fan9.JPG

Thanks ...

Yeah, my X1900XT still serves me well ... and I run at 1920X1200 (Dell 2407). I bought the 680i with the intent of doing an SLI 8800 GTS ... but money ... need .... some

I started putting together my new system tonight in the TJ09 and I really love the motherboard tray. It makes installing the motherboard and large heatsinks and stuff so much easier than it was with my last couple of desktops when I had a Lian-Li V1000B both times. I've just began to work with the case so I can't comment on everything yet but one I do wish they would of done a better job on is the side panels. They are pretty thin so they're a bit flimsy. They should of been thicker and that would of also helped improve sound dampening further.

I started putting together my new system tonight in the TJ09 and I really love the motherboard tray. It makes installing the motherboard and large heatsinks and stuff so much easier than it was with my last couple of desktops when I had a Lian-Li V1000B both times. I've just began to work with the case so I can't comment on everything yet but one I do wish they would of done a better job on is the side panels. They are pretty thin so they're a bit flimsy. They should of been thicker and that would of also helped improve sound dampening further.

I agree on the side panels. Is your bowing at all? When it's up and running see if they rattle.

Silverstone never really cares about sound isolation. TJ-07 was even worse!

I have a few more new pictures:

TJ09 Gallery

First I mentioned that I changed my NorthBridge fan to a Cooler Master Blue Ice Pro:

IMG_3907.jpg

And I also added the Antec V-Cool Pro!

IMG_3906.jpg

I noticed the memory got a little warm so I stuck the Corsair Dominator Fan on my Ballastix.

IMG_3944.jpg

Here's the completed project before some of the add ons:

IMG_3902.jpg

And here it is without the Dominator Fan:

IMG_3912.jpg

A peek inside with the latest cooling gizmos.

IMG_3946.jpg

very sweet looking. You have some nice hardware in there and its very clean. Everyone with their fancy C2D systems with 8800's. I'm still stuck with my NF4 Ultra-D and X1900XTX. My system looks soo hold compared to yours lol.

I can't even fit a ram cooler in my case due to the placement of the ram slots in relation to my Big Typhoon. How do you find the dominator fan? Is it loud having 3 of those little fans running? When I do get a new board, cpu and ram I am going for a new heatsink and possibly a ram cooler but can't decide on whether to get the OCZ. Corsair or the Antec Spot Cool.

Thanks!
This will prolly be my last rig I am building for a long time.
I have been building a new rig every 6 months lately.
But I am expecting my first child in Sept. Game over.

You can get the Dominator fan by itself at several places.
I recommend Central Computers if you are in the Bay Area.

Otherwise that thing is silent on a 12v rail!!
The noisest part of my machine is prolly the Tuniq HSF turned waaaay down.

Well after 6hrs of work today, I finally moved my radiator inside my case. I must say it looks extremely sleek now. Here is a before pic :
3.jpg

And after:
Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture039.jpg

I would like to thank everyone that answered my questions.

OMG. I see you have an S-Flex F variant for the center fan! Finally someone who can comment on this first hand! HOW IS IT?! Please tell me it pushes a lot more air than the stock fan which I find quite weak. Did temps drop with the S-Flex when compared to the stock fan? Lastly did you have a hard time swapping the fans? Did you do it while the case was empty or while it was loaded? Any info would be appreciated as I was looking on using that fan for my own case but only if it provided very good airflow for a very hot running video card and chipset.

Lastly, is your 120mm rear fan acting as an intake? I only ask because I see you added a filter which I think is not adequate if the fan is acting as an exhaust. As an intake I can see where you are coming from however.

I look forward to your answers.

p.s. good case job too!

Well after 6hrs of work today, I finally moved my radiator inside my case. I must say it looks extremely sleek now. Here is a before pic

I would like to thank everyone that answered my questions.
that's hot
nice job and kickass rig ;) :D

OMG. I see you have an S-Flex F variant for the center fan! Finally someone who can comment on this first hand! HOW IS IT?! Please tell me it pushes a lot more air than the stock fan which I find quite weak. Did temps drop with the S-Flex when compared to the stock fan? Lastly did you have a hard time swapping the fans? Did you do it while the case was empty or while it was loaded? Any info would be appreciated as I was looking on using that fan for my own case but only if it provided very good airflow for a very hot running video card and chipset.

Lastly, is your 120mm rear fan acting as an intake? I only ask because I see you added a filter which I think is not adequate if the fan is acting as an exhaust. As an intake I can see where you are coming from however.

p.s. good case job too!

Well I have the 63 cfm S flex that moves a bit more air compared to the stock fan (53 cfm), but its a lot more quiet at max speed. As far as temps go I really didnt notice a huge difference in temps, its more along the lines of a 2c drop. But this was acceptable for me because I wanted more air flow but not the dust intake tha comes with it ;) . Overall the scythes are a great quality fans.
I personally installed it when the case was completely empty, its extremely easier. Just make sure that you have a long magnetic screw driver, otherwise ask everyone around you to put some ear muffs on :D . As for my rear fan, it is acting as an intake which is why the fan filter is in place. These 88cfm yate loons are powerful so I made sure to take some steps toward preventing dust build up.

My TJ09 should be arriving tomorrow if all goes well. (Crossing fingers that UPS doesn't destroy it in the process).

I ordered it from NewEgg after reading about 30 pages into this thread, and it was $20 off at the time!!! (The silver was $40 off but I went for the black, of course).

For the time being I plan to move my current system into it to better cool it, going SLI and 5 HD's put my old Tornado 1000 case beyond its ability to keep up.

I'm going to be taking my time to plan cable routes and such, and measure and order extensions where needed to keep the mess out of the way of the airflow in the center as much as I can. I don't know that I'll resort to modding the case to route the cables behind the MB, but I may jump into that if I feel brave enough.

In the end I hope I can manage at least half as good a job running the cables as most of the people here have done. Sadly it's not my best skill, but I'm going to try and force myself to be patient and do it right rather than rush it.

My thanks to everyone for the ideas and inspirations on this case. I can't wait for it to arrive!

My TJ09 should be arriving tomorrow if all goes well. (Crossing fingers that UPS doesn't destroy it in the process).

I ordered it from NewEgg after reading about 30 pages into this thread, and it was $20 off at the time!!! (The silver was $40 off but I went for the black, of course).

For the time being I plan to move my current system into it to better cool it, going SLI and 5 HD's put my old Tornado 1000 case beyond its ability to keep up.

I'm going to be taking my time to plan cable routes and such, and measure and order extensions where needed to keep the mess out of the way of the airflow in the center as much as I can. I don't know that I'll resort to modding the case to route the cables behind the MB, but I may jump into that if I feel brave enough.

In the end I hope I can manage at least half as good a job running the cables as most of the people here have done. Sadly it's not my best skill, but I'm going to try and force myself to be patient and do it right rather than rush it.

My thanks to everyone for the ideas and inspirations on this case. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Make sure you have some extra long SATA cables for your HD's.. it makes the wiring job much easier to keep clean.

I agree to this, 24" at a minimum, 36" if you plan on wanting great wire hiding with drives that are mounted on the far right of the cages.

36" it is then!

My last check of the UPS tracking page shows, for some reason, that my case got sent from CA to CT, and then to KY instead of to MA, so it went backwards for some reason and now has an ETA of Friday.

Love to know how that happened. I always seem to run into issues using UPS.

Sigh.

p.s. good case job too!

I have also been using the S-flex 63's since I built in arly Feb. I never even used the SS fans, since I was buying the extra HD and 2 top fans I went ahead and replaced the rear fan too (but not the middle intake fan). I also think that they are very quiet and I am happy with them so far. I can say I got better results using the rear as an intake than an exhaust (2-3C drop in proc temp). I also have my TT120 with the exhaust pointed up and the top fans are exhaust. I think I have two different flow regimes in my case:

1. air come in rear, goes through proc heat sink, is discharged out of the top , maybe even picks up some heat/air from the active cooling on my memory.

2. air comes in midship ventilation, picks up air moving through HDDs, goes through video card and out video card exhaust.

this may be an oversimplification of things, but it was the logic i used setting things up. I am still considering adding a slot fan under the vid card.

Well despite a detour to KY on its way to me, my case arrived this afternoon.

Kickass is the only word I can use to describe it.

I spent this evening replacing the 2 fans that came with it, and adding 3 more for a total of 5 Thermaltake Thunderblade fans. I hooked one up to an old AT power supply to verify the airflow direction and check the audio level. It was super quiet and moved a heck of a lot of air compared to the fans I've got in my old case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999127

The middle fan was interesting to take out and replace, not hard really, just had to have patience and a good light source. Was a lot easier than I feared it might be. I have the rear fan as an intake, middle fan as an intake and the top 2 pulling air out the top. The HD cage fan I'm going to mess with a little to determine the best way to put it to keep things cool and not pull in tons of dust.

It will be a while before I get the guts of my PC moved into it, but I'll pick away at what I can do until then.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some 36" SATA cables with one straight end and one right angle end??? Preferably without the metal clip on em (had a bad experience with those before).

Well despite a detour to KY on its way to me, my case arrived this afternoon.

Kickass is the only word I can use to describe it.

I spent this evening replacing the 2 fans that came with it, and adding 3 more for a total of 5 Thermaltake Thunderblade fans. I hooked one up to an old AT power supply to verify the airflow direction and check the audio level. It was super quiet and moved a heck of a lot of air compared to the fans I've got in my old case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999127

The middle fan was interesting to take out and replace, not hard really, just had to have patience and a good light source. Was a lot easier than I feared it might be. I have the rear fan as an intake, middle fan as an intake and the top 2 pulling air out the top. The HD cage fan I'm going to mess with a little to determine the best way to put it to keep things cool and not pull in tons of dust.

It will be a while before I get the guts of my PC moved into it, but I'll pick away at what I can do until then.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some 36" SATA cables with one straight end and one right angle end??? Preferably without the metal clip on em (had a bad experience with those before).

Geeze that's 2000 RPM, your last fans must have been like a tornado.:eek:

hehe what is the exact rpm, cfm and noise level of those fans? Do you run them at 12v full blast?

Everyone is mentioning they changed that center fan with an empty case. I sure wish I did that before putting everything in.

BTW, you aren't the first to mention putting the rear exhaust as an intake. I have it swapped for a Panaflo 38mm thick M1A which is 86cfm at 12v but I run it at 7v on my Sunbeam Rheobus. Do you feel putting as an intake would benefit my cpu and case temps overall or should I just leave it as an exhaust? Yea I know, try and see. I am just wanting some opinions before hand because though it isn't hard to turn around, it isn't a snap in like the top two.

Geeze that's 2000 RPM, your last fans must have been like a tornado.:eek:

My current case that I'm going to replace is, get this, an old Tornado 1000 case!!

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews/misc/3dcool_tornado/

I just re-read the article from Januray 2000 and this paragraph made me laugh.....

It Costs How Much?

The $135 price might cause a bit of sticker shock, but a closer look at the individual components reveals a quite different story. A comparable Globalwin YCC-802 case has an online price of approximately $79, and that's just for the case itself. Each of the 4 dual-ball bearing 80x80 fans will run you $8 each, adding another $32 to the sticker price. Even cutting the side panel blowholes comes at a price and I found several online outlets offering to perform such a feat, though at $12 per blowhole. Adding up the component and service costs yields an amazingly accurate final retail price of $135. As with other businesses, 3DCOOL.COM must get slightly lower prices than you could find online, but I don't see the Tornado 1000 being sold at a huge markup.

I just paid double that and then some for this new case LOL.

The case is pretty cramped with all the stuff I have in it, and the smaller fans just can't keep up with the heat anymore. I kept getting more and more powerful fans, but at this point, I might as well have a 747 in my livingroom.

hehe what is the exact rpm, cfm and noise level of those fans? Do you run them at 12v full blast?

From the NewEgg spec page....

RPM 2000
CFM 78
dBA 21

I was running it at full power, and it was extremely quiet to me, and was pushing a nice amount of air.

Make sure you have some extra long SATA cables for your HD's.. it makes the wiring job much easier to keep clean.

I am using regular length sata cables, works fine, cable management is immaculate (tooting my own horn).

From the NewEgg spec page....

RPM 2000
CFM 78
dBA 21

I was running it at full power, and it was extremely quiet to me, and was pushing a nice amount of air.

lol. I somehow doubt that 21dba part. Probably more like 34dba. I can't believe having 5 of those at full speed would be quiet! Yikes!

lol. I somehow doubt that 21dba part. Probably more like 34dba. I can't believe having 5 of those at full speed would be quiet! Yikes!

The one I plugged in was barely audible. Wish I had a decible meter to test it with.

I've seen some reviews online for it that say its a hairdryer and the 21 dBA rating is BS, but I dont get it, to me its nowhere near that loud at all. Maybe I'm losing my hearing and don't know it??

5 of em together should be interesting. I should snag an old AT power supply and chain em all together just to see how much of a hurricane I get in the case. :D

My TJ09 has arrived at the depot! I think i can go pick it up even though they aren't putting it out for delivery today :D

Just got it all built up. God is this thing stunning or what :eek: It makes my old Lian-Li PC60 look like junk! I can't believe i'm saying this, but it is easily worth the £169 i paid for it! Happy camper here.

Back