Silverstone TJ09!

The airflow through my PC60 was poor though. The case was so crammed full of wires with no space for anything to breathe. Now everything has so much more room. I've not even installed any extra 120mm fans yet. Any recommendations?

I've recently upgraded from a PC-60 to a TJ09 and have got around the same sort of CPU temp drop. With the PC-6o the CPU idled around 38 or 39 degrees . with the TJ09 idle temp is now 28 - 30 degrees.

I'd hardly call the PC-60 junk though, to me it is a classic but just hard to keep cool with todays hardware.

I've added 3 Sharkoon 120mm Silent Eagle fans. One for the hard drive bay and 2 in the top. Not the best fans around I know but they provide a reasonable airflow and are quiet. They are available with blue leds which I wanted for the 2 top vent fans. At the moment I've got both fans at the top pulling air out but may reverse the one nearer the front to blowing to see if it brings my graphics card temp down a bit more.

The PC60 certainly isn't junk, i was just trying to describe how superb the TJ09 is. I will order some additional fans over the weekend. What RPM would work best? I don't want anything too loud.

I'm on my first boot now after moving my guts from the old Tornado 1000 case to my new TJ09.

The NVidia control panel used to read 54 degrees at idle for video card 1 of 2.

Right now, that same card is reading...........42 degrees at idle.

Talk about a massive change in temp. Then again, compare the massive amount of room I have in this new case to stash all the cables out of the way, and using 5 of those 120mm Thermaltake Thunderblades instead of 80mm noisemakers.

One of the biggest things to prove that it's quieter was when my wife walked in to the livingroom and said "Oh, it didnt start up?" when it was already running!!!!

I spent about 5 hours on the cabling, its far from award worthy, but the cables are all at the bottom out of the way of the airflow, which to me, is the biggest point.

If you're thinking about getting this case, stop thinking and just buy it. :D

I've had the TJ-09 for several months. It is by far the best case I've ever purchased. The only thing that would make it better would be 8 3.5" hard disk bays instead of the 6 it has. :)

The only thing I really don't like is the top mounted USB ports. I'm not fond of the location, and the ports don't hold USB cables securely so my headset USB plug will slip out now and then. It's an annoyance more than anything else.

The top ports for me are pretty snug, but I havent used em much yet so no idea if they'll loosen up over time or not.

Doing the power cables for the two 7800 GTX's was the big pain of the whole thing. Trying to run 4 molex connectors to that one area is pretty tough to hide or keep out of the way.

I think I did ok with it, and its leaps and bounds better than what I had before. The HD cages arent perfect, but those are out of sight mostly, so I wasn't too worried about making it pretty, just making sure the airflow was good.

I'm also glad I went with the blue led version of the Thermaltake Thunderblade fans, since the color is just about a spot on match to the front lights on the case. Looks really nice I think. :D

Now I just need to buy a new desk to be able to hold this thing, cause atm its sitting in the middle of the floor, and it can't sit there forever. ;)

I did a build 3 months ago w/ the TJ09, and love it. I just did another build w/ a Lian-Li PC-7B II, and I love, no probably like, it too. It's amazing working w/ a smaller and light case after the TJ09; both are great in their own way, but I still think the TJ09 is just kick ass.

Hi there,does anyone knows how to pull of the front fan ,the one that blows to the vga cards?I think it´s the four screws ( two on the bottom e two more on the up side),is it? or there's an easyer way to change that fan?

Hi there,does anyone knows how to pull of the front fan ,the one that blows to the vga cards?I think it´s the four screws ( two on the bottom e two more on the up side),is it? or there's an easyer way to change that fan?

someone explained it to me in this very thread .. early on ..
i did it .. it was a PITA .. but im not exactly sure how i did lol .. check back
earlier in the thread

how are u guys getting such great temps .. my current 8800gtx oc from bfg .. with the fan on the gpu set to run at 85% is right now idling at 65c lol .. cuz its hot in my room .. but normally around 59c .. so im afraid to even try and overclock it

Here is my TJ-09. Enjoy! I have changed all the fans to ZALMAN silence with 6 fan controllers. I turned all the fans up at day time and quite it down during night time. I am so happy with it. Excellent case.

dscf0027gc6.jpg

dsc00314fj6.jpg

dsc00316mu0.jpg

dsc00325pl9.jpg

dsc00327mz7.jpg

dsc00318ku7.jpg

dsc00328jq6.jpg

dsc00323ca3.jpg

My spec.

Tj-09 case
Asus commando
Core 2 Duo E6420
Geforce 8800gts
G.skill 800 2GB
Zalman 9700nt CPU cooler
W.D. raptor 10000 RPM 36GB
Seagate 7200 RPM 200GB
Thermaltake cable management 750W
Pioneer DVR110D DVDRW
5 ZALMAN silence fans with 6 fan controllers
Mag 22 " LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64

how are u guys hiding cables so well around the hd area // my psu is alot longer so there is like no room to hide cables .. might be time to switch back to a smaller psu

Are the fans that come stock with the case too loud or don't move airflow well enough?

Seeing a lot of your setups have custom fans, I'm debating whether I should toss in 2-3 Scythe S-Flex fans in there too..

They are not that bad for the silverstone everflow fan but the HD fan couldn't connect to the fan controller so i decided to change the whole lot to zalman. They are not so expensive like nexus fans but they are very good and silence. I have 5 of them with fan controller to turn them down at night time and i don't hear anything. :D

how are u guys hiding cables so well around the hd area // my psu is alot longer so there is like no room to hide cables .. might be time to switch back to a smaller psu

I routed my cables from the back side of the HD cages to keep them out of the way and even more out of sight. My main goal was to keep the airflow through the center of the case as high as possible, and that included making sure the power supply vents weren't blocked by tons of cables right in the bottom. Some of the extra cable is coiled up in the HD bay, strapped up tight. Of course, this wouldn't be practical with 6 HD's filling the bays. I'm using 3 HD's at the moment and have them split between the 2 bays to help airflow.

Are the fans that come stock with the case too loud or don't move airflow well enough?

Seeing a lot of your setups have custom fans, I'm debating whether I should toss in 2-3 Scythe S-Flex fans in there too..

I opted to go for Thermaltake Thunderblade fans, 5 of em with blue LED's. They are extremely quiet, and move plenty of air. I replaced the fans that came with the case, including the center fan that so many people seem to be having a hell of a time with. I found it relatively easy to do. Just need a good magnetic driver and a steady hand.

I have the front and rear fans on intake, and the top 2 on exhaust, which seems to be working extremely well for getting the hot air out of the case. I don't think it matters much on the HD fan, though I've yet to really check the temps and try it both ways.

My GPU temps are down about 10 degrees over my last case, which tells me it was a good move to make.

I opted to go for Thermaltake Thunderblade fans, 5 of em with blue LED's. They are extremely quiet, and move plenty of air. I replaced the fans that came with the case, including the center fan that so many people seem to be having a hell of a time with. I found it relatively easy to do. Just need a good magnetic driver and a steady hand.

I have the front and rear fans on intake, and the top 2 on exhaust, which seems to be working extremely well for getting the hot air out of the case. I don't think it matters much on the HD fan, though I've yet to really check the temps and try it both ways.

My GPU temps are down about 10 degrees over my last case, which tells me it was a good move to make.

Very interesting. I'll note those Thunderblade fans.. especially since 5x of those seem to equal about 17.45 when the Scythe S-flex is around 15 for one.. Although, the Scythe S-Flex's move a lot more air around..

Is that the normal setup on fans most people do on the TJ09 ?
Front & rear on intake and top 2 on exhaust ?

Very interesting. I'll note those Thunderblade fans.. especially since 5x of those seem to equal about 17.45 when the Scythe S-flex is around 15 for one.. Although, the Scythe S-Flex's move a lot more air around..

Is that the normal setup on fans most people do on the TJ09 ?
Front & rear on intake and top 2 on exhaust ?

I got my fans at NewEgg when they finally came back in stock after being out of stock for weeks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999127

The specs for them list 21 dBA and 78 CFM.

I set them up the way that made sense to me looking at the case. Hot air tends to want to rise up, so the top 2 exhausting that air made sense. Swapping the rear to an intake brings cooler air right in on top of the CPU, and the front intake brings cool air right onto the video cards. The HD fan is sectioned off all on its own, and I'm not sure it really matters on than fan.

I got my fans at NewEgg when they finally came back in stock after being out of stock for weeks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999127

The specs for them list 21 dBA and 78 CFM.

I set them up the way that made sense to me looking at the case. Hot air tends to want to rise up, so the top 2 exhausting that air made sense. Swapping the rear to an intake brings cooler air right in on top of the CPU, and the front intake brings cool air right onto the video cards. The HD fan is sectioned off all on its own, and I'm not sure it really matters on than fan.

Ah, whoops.

I was looking at an older set of Thermaltake Thunderblades which only had 28~ CFM, and hence the price difference as well. Regardless, those are some nice fans, think the LED's would make me choose 3x of them over the Scythe S-Flex's as they are rated for around the same dBA and CFM

The front lights on the case for HDD and power are both deep blue, and the LED's on the fans match the color almost prefectly.

Those 5 fans light up the inside pretty well, and overall I think it looks pretty snazzy.

When I get home tonight from work I'll try to get a decent picture of it to post here, as long as you all promise not to laugh at my wiring job, LOL. ;)

The CFM/dBA ratio was pretty good when I saw the specs, and once I plugged one in to test, I was very happy with the purchase and the decision I made to swap out the 2 fans it came with and put in 5 of those instead.

So here are some pathetic pictures of my case with those Thermaltake fans.....

First pic I left the flash on.....
TJ09-B-Unlit.jpg

Second pic without the flash.....
TJ09-C-Lit.jpg

Third pic of the top.....
TJ09-A-Top.jpg

Limahl,

Thanks for the photos. What is that grey stuff behind the back fan? Looks like foam, but could just be the camera playing tricks on me.

Also, I think you said setting that fan as intake cooled down your CPU temps, but wouldn't you also be blowing some warm air back in floating up from the vidcard exhausts? It's probably cooler air than your previous CPU temp which is why your CPU temp still went down, but I would think theoretically you'd be better overall with it blowing out instead of in. Then again, that would leave the GPU fan as the only intake fan for the whole case, so the holes in the back of the case would be the only other source of intake air. Not so sure that would be good either. If only they put room for 2 GPU fans instead of one the airflow wouldn't be so complicated :)

Your eyes don't deceive you.

My wife works for a refrigeration company, and that stuff is filter material for industrial units. She got me some scrap (stuff is expensive as hell), it lets tons of air in and keeps all the bloody dust out of the case, I plan to find a better way to mount it in the long run.

You raise a valid point about the airflow, but here's my (probably insane) logic about it.

The front and back fans push the same amount of air, so putting those 2 facing each other is pretty much an equal amount of force pushing all the air to the center of the case, which the top 2 fans channel up and out.

I have no clue if thats really whats going on, part of me wishes I had a smoke wand I could have done some closed case testing with before I put in the guts and sealed it off.

I guess I could take a day and change the rear fan to exhaust and see where the temps go. Right now I'm thrilled they are lower than they were before the case swap.

Damn this thread, after holding our for months, I ordered mine today. Silver, mostly because it was cheaper and had free shipping and most people seem to have black anyway. Hopefully it keeps my pair of x1950xtx's nice and cool...can't wait.

Treat her gently. :D

I'm still looking for a computer desk suitable for her to sit on and show off all her glory.

I don't regret the purchase one bit, and hope for many years of happy use.

Remove the whole cage assembly from the case frame. There are 4 screws kinda of hidden inside the fan cage that you need to remove. On the top and bottom of the fan cage, there are two slots/cut-outs that you need to get a screw driver into, the screws are in there. Remove them and then it will come apart.. kind of. You still have to fiddle with it a bit to get it completely apart.

I wish I had some pics to show you.. but I don't unfortunately.

Treat her gently. :D

I'm still looking for a computer desk suitable for her to sit on and show off all her glory.

I don't regret the purchase one bit, and hope for next years dream machine case not to be as good from SilverStone!

Fixed!

I had a TJ07 then went to a TJ09. LoL

You still have to fiddle with it a bit to get it completely apart.

I just bought a few Scythe S-FLEX fans to replace the stock fans in one of my TJ-09’s.

I was reading through your response, is it hard to get the front fan enclosure back together after you take it apart?

I just bought a few Scythe S-FLEX fans to replace the stock fans in one of my TJ-09’s.

I was reading through your response, is it hard to get the front fan enclosure back together after you take it apart?

A good magnetic screwdriver is a must, no way around it.

Just takes patience and a steady hand after that.

i need some cooling tips in here ..

cuz even with a scythe fan in the center holder blowing on my 8800gtx oc .. it idles at like 62-65 even with the gpu running at 85%

its just crazy

A good magnetic screwdriver is a must, no way around it.

Just takes patience and a steady hand after that.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

cuz even with a scythe fan in the center holder blowing on my 8800gtx oc .. it idles at like 62-65 even with the gpu running at 85%

I’m wondering which model Scythe fan you are using. I’ve got two 8800GTX KO’s jammed in this case and you’ve got me worried.

Well I jumped on board and bought the TJ09 with Sound dampening material from http://www.frozencpu.com

Bought two 36" Sata Cables, 1 24" rounded cable ( yea, my DVD and CD burner are still IDE)

I have used the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F ( 63.7 CFM) before, so I bought 5 to replace all the fans inside the case, a 6th Scythe is replacing my Delta Fan on my Ultra X Heatsink from Enzotech. Those Delta's are loud!

Now just need to make up my mind on the PSU, either Enermax Galaxy 1000w or the Thermaltake 1000w. That PC Power and Cool 1000w is just to damn pricey, and what Video card 8800GTX or Crossfire 2900xt's (given the drivers are much improved in the next month)

My rig will look like this, minus the 2 next purchases PSU and GFX

TJ09 Case /w Sound Dampening
Core 2 DuoE6600
Gigabyte P965-DQ6 v3.3
Crucial 4gig kit Ballistix DDR-800 4-4-4-12
Bose Companion 5 Sound system (you got to hear it to believe it)
Ultra X Heatsink (Enzotech)
Dell 2407 24" WideScreen
Ageia Physx Card
Vista Ultimate 64bit

Well I jumped on board and bought the TJ09 with Sound dampening material from http://www.frozencpu.com

Bought two 36" Sata Cables, 1 24" rounded cable ( yea, my DVD and CD burner are still IDE)

I have used the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F ( 63.7 CFM) before, so I bought 5 to replace all the fans inside the case, a 6th Scythe is replacing my Delta Fan on my Ultra X Heatsink from Enzotech. Those Delta's are loud!

Now just need to make up my mind on the PSU, either Enermax Galaxy 1000w or the Thermaltake 1000w. That PC Power and Cool 1000w is just to damn pricey, and what Video card 8800GTX or Crossfire 2900xt's (given the drivers are much improved in the next month)

My rig will look like this, minus the 2 next purchases PSU and GFX

TJ09 Case /w Sound Dampening
Core 2 DuoE6600
Gigabyte P965-DQ6 v3.3
Crucial 4gig kit Ballistix DDR-800 4-4-4-12
Bose Companion 5 Sound system (you got to hear it to believe it)
Ultra X Heatsink (Enzotech)
Dell 2407 24" WideScreen
Ageia Physx Card
Vista Ultimate 64bit

sounds sweet...and i'm with you on all of it until go go with the ageia card and vista 64. I personally wouldn't go for either of those.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

I’m wondering which model Scythe fan you are using. I’ve got two 8800GTX KO’s jammed in this case and you’ve got me worried.

im running the highest output one .. the 1600rpm i believe
i dunno why .. i always get the crappiest temps ..

when i was running 2 x 8800gtxs .. temps were pretty crazy lol .. like upper 60s idle

im running the highest output one .. the 1600rpm i believe
i dunno why .. i always get the crappiest temps ..

when i was running 2 x 8800gtxs .. temps were pretty crazy lol .. like upper 60s idle

Might want to check the model number on the front of the fan itself. Thgere are 3 different models: SFF21D (800rpm), SFF21E (1200rpm), SFF21E (1600rpm)

Has anyone had any experience removing the rivets from the side window on this case?

sounds sweet...and i'm with you on all of it until go go with the ageia card and vista 64. I personally wouldn't go for either of those.

Myself I wouldn't go Vista unless it was 64-bit. Vista runs well with a lot of memory and on 32-bit you're not going to make use of having 4GB of memory installed. Right now 2GB will be enough but games are already starting to push towards using up 2 gigs of RAM. For future upgradeability I would suggest 64-bit unless you want to buy another OS a few months to a year or more down the road.

That performance pc TJ09 does not look to great. Kinda looks slapped together for the purpose of charging an arm and a leg for it.

Myself I wouldn't go Vista unless it was 64-bit. Vista runs well with a lot of memory and on 32-bit you're not going to make use of having 4GB of memory installed. Right now 2GB will be enough but games are already starting to push towards using up 2 gigs of RAM. For future upgradeability I would suggest 64-bit unless you want to buy another OS a few months to a year or more down the road.

i agree with you on the 64 bit benefits...it was more against Vista in general.

Question about the center (video card) fan. Mine is not running, I'm assuming you have to plug the fan header into the board to get it to run? If that's the case, how did you guys do that, the header I have only protrudes out of the bottom about an inch, definitely not long enough to plug into the mb...

Back