Silverstone Sugo SG09

I also picked one of these up yesterday (Osaka, Japan) - about $125 with tax. Was trying to decide for a long time between this, the TJ08-e and the SG09. Size-wise, this neatly splits the baby between the TJ08 and SG08 while retaining pretty much all the capability of the TJ08 that I care about (I'm planning a gaming box with 1 or 2 SDD drives and 0 or 1 2.5" HDD for storage and either a 7970 or GTX 670 with the potential of adding a second card for Crossfire/SLI depending on what display(s) I pick)

I haven't opened the box yet, so no pictures. However, based on my handling of the case at the store, it looks quite nice in person, including the front grill, which I know many people were hesitant about. Also quite light, though we'll see once I put in a PSU :)

I'm excited to build in this case! It's been a few years since my last build (been using a 17" laptop in the meantime) so I can't wait to see how much power I can squeeze into this box.

This is the list of components I'm currently planning to use. Any suggestions are welcome!

PSU: Silverstone SST-ST75F-P with SFF cable kit (already purchased)
MB: AsRock Z77 Extreme-M (already purchased. Wanted z77mx-d3h but the 2nd PCIe 8x slot on is the bottom slot, so was worried I wouldn't be able to use two GPUs)
CPU: ? (2500k/3570k/2600k/3770k) The SBs are ~$25 cheaper than the IBs here, but concerned about PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0 if I go dual GPU
GPU: stock 7970 or gtx 670 (latter is ~$30 cheaper)
RAM: 2x8GB of cheap PC1600 :)
Storage: 1 (or 2) Samsung 830 SSDs (256mbs) + 1 TB 2.5"
Cooler: ? would a Hyper Evo fit in here? How about a Silver Arrow/NH-14D? Given the cross-flow of air from 18" fan right above it, I'm thinking it might be best to go with a Kuhler 920 or Corsair h80. Thoughts?)

I wish I was in Osaka, Japan to buy one, errr - I want to try a build in this case badly.

Damyr, how, thoughtfull of you, yes I'll send you money via PayPal for you to buy me one! :p

Moar pics!!!

I'm really interested in seeing a build for this case!!

it doesnt look quite as "cheap" in the pictures you guys are now posting and im really excited!

I live in Hong Kong, they've had this case for at least 3 weeks at the computer stores here, so i'm not really sure why no reviews are coming out yet :S

there is an update in page 6. please check it in case you don't know.
that's all I can offer today. I think others will post pic soon.
cheers.

cheers.

Wow! Thanks a lot! That's a hefty update, lots of great pics. Now I'm really hoping it's gonna come out in October in Europe.:confused:

cheers.

nice pics man, I had to look into the psu you used, looks like a seasonic x series and the width looks to be 160mm?

I'm thinking of getting this case with an led fan on the psu but I'm probably gonna get a 180mm unit so that the fan is centered on the front grill- hows the power extension cord fitment? I noticed the connection is upside down, did you have any trouble fitting the power cord inside and putting side panel with the fan back on?

R8FJfx

as you can see due to the direction the connection is facing, the cord leads downwards which could possibly interfere with the side panel with the fan and have fitment issues

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours assembling tonight. Still don't have all the parts, but I figured I'd past a few quick snaps before I go to bed. Should be pretty self-explanatory, but I'll supplement with descriptions tomorrow.

Sorry for the poor quality -- the lighting in the room was not ideal :)

DSC03413.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

DSC03415.jpg

DSC03416.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...tI/AAAAAAAABt0/TWH5aR7dpys/s1325/DSC03417.jpg

DSC03418.jpg

Overall, I am very impressed with the design and the build quality. Fitting the motherboard, psu and CPU in was a snap. There's TONS of room for proper cable routing/hiding too. (I'm using the SilverStone Strider 750w with SilverStone's short modular cables)

Case fan on high speed is audible (but not loud). On low speed, I don't notice it.

Any suggestions for GPU to get? I'm thinking 2x670s given that 2x7970s might be too much for my PSU. But 2x7950s seem like a better value and perform on par with 2x670s when both overclocked?

Great looking build, though with so much space around the CPU you could do with a tower cooler.

make sure you get video cards with a blower type cooler, so it'll blow the hot air out the case (if going SLI)

I know it gets bolted in, but is the psu centered (relative to the front grill) if you align the edge to the right side rather than the left? I'm a stickler for symmetry lol

as for the gpu, depends on what you're gonna play but I'd go with the amd

Megavolt: I hadn't thought to check -- I'll take a look tonight.

The PSU can be put in in two positions as far as I can tell, with the modular cables either extending into the main side of the case or the storage side of the case. I think the latter makes for a cleaner build.

Also, I should mention that the storage compartment seems to be decently cooled in case anyone is worried about this -- the 180mm fan on the top straddles both compartments a little, so there's some airflow.

Finally, the space inside this case is huge! I definitely think I could fit a Noctua or Silver Arrow cooler in there if I wanted to. However, I'm a little worried that the air path for a tower cooler is perpendicular to the air path for the penetrator fan. Do people think it would be better for overall case cooling to go with something like the H80 exhausting out the back?

For video cards, I think this case may benefit from blower-type coolers. The bottom-front 120mm intake fan blows air right where the intake on blower-type coolers would be, which makes it ideal, yes? I suppose you could also put 2x92mm fans in and turn the whole side panel into exhaust if using non-blower-type coolers on the video cards and rely on the 180mm fan alone for intake, but this seems more problematic. What do you guys think? Non-reference coolers seem to be much better generally, but in this case, maybe blowers are preferable if going for 2 graphics cards.

Megavolt: I hadn't thought to check -- I'll take a look tonight.

The PSU can be put in in two positions as far as I can tell, with the modular cables either extending into the main side of the case or the storage side of the case. I think the latter makes for a cleaner build.

For video cards, I think this case may benefit from blower-type coolers. The bottom-front 120mm intake fan blows air right where the intake on blower-type coolers would be, which makes it ideal, yes? I suppose you could also put 2x92mm fans in and turn the whole side panel into exhaust if using non-blower-type coolers on the video cards and rely on the 180mm fan alone for intake, but this seems more problematic. What do you guys think? Non-reference coolers seem to be much better generally, but in this case, maybe blowers are preferable if going for 2 graphics cards.
Cool, let me know- and I yeah know it can be flipped around with the fan facing inside, just wanted to seeif it can be centered by moving it over and using longer 6-32 screws, kinda wanna see how a 180mm psu looks in this case.

As for the cooling for the video cards, I think the blower type is the most effective for multiple cards, given that it's a small case and the point you outlined where the bottom intake fan blows air to

I just noticed in that picture where the computer is on, are the side panels not fully affixed or is there some sort of fitment issue?

The side panels are not afixed because I didn't actually screw them in, so the bottom panel tends to push the top panel out a bit. (I was in a hurry to take some pics before calling it a night). With the panels screwed in, there is no fitment issue.

I know it gets bolted in, but is the psu centered (relative to the front grill) if you align the edge to the right side rather than the left? I'm a stickler for symmetry lol

as for the gpu, depends on what you're gonna play but I'd go with the amd

Yeah, i'm wondering the same thing....
is there any way to make the PSU line up with the silverstone logo?

Maybe i'm just a bit anal about symmetry as well, but it would really bother me if it didnt lol

The case actually looks a lot better than the silverstone official pictures =)

looking good, i just dont like the front cover of this case. I want a aluminum front cover.

Got mine on pre-order from a place here in NY..

I am also selling a PC Labs Qmicra V2 case in mint condition..

If anyone is interested you can PM me..

hey, guys. I am back.

after 3 hours working, I almost finish my installation.
here are some pics to show how amazing this case is.

MB : DQ77MK
CPU : i5 2500

i will install 8G*4 memory and 3.5 2T*2 later.
(parts not arrive yet.)

it is very silent. I plan to run ESXi with plenty of vm machines as my home server.

here is the inside. pretty clean.
DOw51g

close look 1.
hmbIgM

close look 2.
TyUYzH

back panel
sRgAAR

top view
6w3dxB

view of hdd/other
FVvlmO

Last edited:
Not bad price but I can't see to think what the best cooling setup would be......I guess something like an AIO Watercooling unit would work- taking the fresh air from the 180mm fan...Think it should work better then a regular tower type of heatsink...What about you guys?

Not bad price but I can't see to think what the best cooling setup would be......I guess something like an AIO Watercooling unit would work- taking the fresh air from the 180mm fan...Think it should work better then a regular tower type of heatsink...What about you guys?

I would like to know this as well, most hardcore enthusiats will tell you that a supreme non-"run of the mill" CPU tower cooler will spank an AIO watercooling unit.

I'm not disagreeing that they can be better but in SFF I'm not so sure, also when the "spanking" occurs in test videos I've seen on YouTube videos we're talking a mere couple of degrees.

Noise supposedly is better on air than AIO so who knows; hardcores will recommend the Thermalright Silver Arror SB-E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xrsuPwDbo

I think SilverStone made provisions for AIO but honestly I think that consumers have basically demanded it so much it's a requirement out of the gate regardless if it's actually better.

In pc cases like SG05 etc where HSF height is limited AIO watercooling is king, but outside of that idk.

Last edited:
Any plans from Silverstone to change that fugly front panel?

Just bit on one of these. I think the fan placement is perfect on this case. I will set all the fans as intake except the 80mm. This will blow all the hot air out where it should and blow cool air across the hotter areas.

I am on the fence....Like the size :)

Please post pictures of your setups once you receive the case- many thanks in advance :D

Back