Silverstone Sugo SG09

I really like the mock-up, I'd even pay more to have one. Its very clean and sleek but I'm left wondering how we'd handle the PSU power cord.

I did a quick post to Silverstone, but linked your original post rather than the whole thread.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038813830&postcount=17

Excellent, thanks. The link I used actually does link to my post, just in thread context. I kind of wanted people to see the responses people posted here without having to click the full thread link. But the single-post link is fine too.

I really like the mock-up, I'd even pay more to have one. Its very clean and sleek but I'm left wondering how we'd handle the PSU power cord.

The redesign doesn't change the internals - the power cord is still routed to the back as Silverstone has it. That plastic housing for the outlet protruding from the back is somewhat questionable though, and could probably be improved.

I absolutely love your redesign Necere. I would definitely buy one over the vanilla SG09. My only suggestion would be to work fans into the front. This could be done w/mesh grilling or something stylish.

I hope someone at Silverstone notices your work formally. ^_^

My only suggestion would be to work fans into the front. This could be done w/mesh grilling or something stylish.

There are dual 92mm fans in the front.

I hope someone at Silverstone notices your work formally. ^_^

Yeah, so Tony got back to me, here's the gist of it: the SG09 aesthetics were polarizing at Computex; my redesign looks similar to what they'd like to do in future models, though this specifically wouldn't fit into their Sugo series on account of the 23 liter size limit for that series (the front panel on my design adds depth, pushing it over the limit).

There are dual 92mm fans in the front.

Sorry, poor choice of wording. I know the fans are still under the PSU, it was the airways I was thinking about here. Just not sure how much the side exhausts could do.

Yeah, so Tony got back to me, here's the gist of it: the SG09 aesthetics were polarizing at Computex; my redesign looks similar to what they'd like to do in future models, though this specifically wouldn't fit into their Sugo series on account of the 23 liter size limit for that series (the front panel on my design adds depth, pushing it over the limit).

I didn't realize there was a 23L ceiling on this case family, the look of the case makes more sense now. I figured it was something that an engineer designed the looks of, just didn't know why. The looks on the original case don't actually bother me. I like things with a minimalist, workhorse aesthetic.

I wish you all the best with your future ventures into case design... Or whatever it is that you do. Great job regardless.

redesign doesn't change the internals - the power cord is still routed to the back as Silverstone has it. That plastic housing for the outlet protruding from the back is somewhat questionable though, and could probably be improved.

I should have been more clear. Doesn't the psu exhaust shroud block the plug for the psu power cord in the end of the psu?

Also I think its great that someone at Silverstone took the time to comment on your design. Congrats :cool:

Sorry, poor choice of wording. I know the fans are still under the PSU, it was the airways I was thinking about here. Just not sure how much the side exhausts could do.

Airflow would be adequate, I think, particularly if the bottom of the front panel is also open. Fractal's new Node 304 has dual 92s and a comparable amount of ventilation which, according to a Fractal rep, is more than sufficient.

I wish you all the best with your future ventures into case design... Or whatever it is that you do. Great job regardless.

Thanks.

I should have been more clear. Doesn't the psu exhaust shroud block the plug for the psu power cord in the end of the psu?

This isn't really an issue. The shroud could simply be removable, or only a partial shroud to direct the flow while allowing access to the plug, with the side panel closing off that section when the case is closed up.

Anyone know the distance between the side case wall and the motherboard for this? Just saw the preview of the EVGA GTX 680 Classified and it's 5.25" tall... Same as the GTX 580 Classified.

Anyone know the distance between the side case wall and the motherboard for this? Just saw the preview of the EVGA GTX 680 Classified and it's 5.25" tall... Same as the GTX 580 Classified.

Judging from the picture of the 180mm top fan it looks to be about 160mm (over 6") of clearance. There may be any issue with the 120x25mm side fan at the bottom but a 15mm fan should squeeze in. The cooler shown in the photograph is Silverstone's new SST-NT08 which has a 120mm fan imbedded so it appears to have a 130-140mm height from the MB.

Last edited:

Good to know Necere. I like that Silverstone is listening. I also like their focus on keeping the case small. But they really need to work on a cleaner design. They did a good job with SG08 so why did they ruin this one :(

What the hell is with Silverstone's fetish for slot drives? I dont mind laptop drives, but will never stick one of my valuable discs in a slot.

What the hell is with Silverstone's fetish for slot drives? I dont mind laptop drives, but will never stick one of my valuable discs in a slot.

Condense it all as bootable images/installers/software on something faster and more convenient than optical. They're almost floppy drives these days.

Judging from the picture of the 180mm top fan it looks to be about 160mm (over 6") of clearance. There may be any issue with the 120x25mm side fan at the bottom but a 15mm fan should squeeze in. The cooler shown in the photograph is Silverstone's new SST-NT08 which has a 120mm fan imbedded so it appears to have a 130-140mm height from the MB.

Awesome, just playing around with some ideas for a next system right now. Little Box or Big Little Box basically. Thanks!

i prefere it on small cases, why waste the space on a 5.25" ODD when it virtually never gets used, and gets in the way of decent cooling?

i prefere it on small cases, why waste the space on a 5.25" ODD when it virtually never gets used, and gets in the way of decent cooling?

This. It saves so much space using slim drives and SFX power supplies. If they started making 2.5" drives with ~2 TB of storage we'd stop seeing 3.5" drives as well probably.

I think his point was not slim drives as slot drives per se. I. personally, have never had a slot drive eat a disk on me and I do prefer the looks of a simple slot. Having said that, I don't think it would made much of a difference to have a slim tray drive on this model, appearance wise.

I think his point was not slim drives as slot drives per se. I. personally, have never had a slot drive eat a disk on me and I do prefer the looks of a simple slot. Having said that, I don't think it would made much of a difference to have a slim tray drive on this model, appearance wise.

Fair enough. I had forgotten that they make tray loading slims. xP

I really like the SG09, yeah the front is a bit ugly, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be too hard to dremmel those slats out and replace them with a grating or mesh of some sort, or even solid brushed aluminum, set off from the face a bit.

In terms of the cooler, can anyone recommend a cpu cooler that may fit close that the rear case fan would almost act as a pull fan across the fins; or one that its pull fan would sit back far enough to basically just remove the case fan and have the cooler exhaust almost directly out the back?

FINALLY - that layout.

I agree the exterior looks a bit ugly, but finally a major company has decided to put the power supply in that position in a "normal" case (ie, not the FT03).

Finally someone gets it. Looks like the perfect matx case for volume/performance.

Condense it all as bootable images/installers/software on something faster and more convenient than optical. They're almost floppy drives these days.

In order to condense to a mem stick or something, one still needs an optical drive to start with.

On another note thanks to this thread I have seen the SG08 uses a regular size laptop optical drive.

I'm so torn between building a server/htpc/gaming machine in this case or building an htpc/gaming machine in a FT03 mini or SG05. :(

FINALLY - that layout.

I agree the exterior looks a bit ugly, but finally a major company has decided to put the power supply in that position in a "normal" case (ie, not the FT03).

Finally someone gets it. Looks like the perfect matx case for volume/performance.

I fully agree with this... The only thing to complain about with this case is "the look". Functionally optimal or approaching optimal. Love it.

Why didn't they make the SG09 look more like the beautiful SG08? One can only hope that Silverstone comes out with an SG10 that beautifies the SG09 (just as the SG08 beautifies the SG07).

IMO SS should've gone back to the SG05 or TJ08-E design for PSU intake.

Ass:

micro.jpg

Class:

18f9a2194f.jpg

front-620.jpg

^^^ I agree with this. :)

If anyone from SilverStone is reading this thread, it's clear that we want to love this case for many practical reasons, but the aesthetics of the case just don't do it for us.

The fact that people are actually redesigning the case and posting the designs in this thread demonstrates how much we want to like this case. Once SilverStone fixes the front facia and other appearance issues, then they will have a huge hit on their hands.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

First I just want to let you guys know that SG09 has been finalized and there would be no styling changes done to it. Our target is to ship this case by next month (with general availability worldwide completed by August). There was a slim chance that we would hold up production by another month of two just to redesign the front panel. But the feedbacks we received during Computex by those who saw the case in person was good enough that we had gone ahead with it.

While I understand this maybe disappointing to some of you, I can assure you that the production version will look better in person than photos shown so far from Computex on a pre-production case.

Some of you may also be wondering why we didn't go with a metal mesh for the front panel, the reason for this is because we designed the removable grille with nylon filter fused to the plastic. This will allow users to easily remove it and wash/rinse with water. Had we used metal mesh instead, the case would have required a separate part for filter because you can't wash metal in water (rust problems). As Necere mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a 23 liter size limit that our engineers had to stick to so it was impossible for them to design a more elaborate, thicker panel.

Could we have designed the look of the plastic grille differently so that it resembles a metal mesh grille? Yes probably, but it wouldn’t be as strong structurally (going from metal to plastic) and the ventilation wouldn’t be as good as the current design.

I hope this little peek into our design-thought process helps give you guys a different perspective on the SG09 and why it isn’t easy for us to just change front panel design for pure aesthetic reasons.

Tony,

But you guys already make seperate filter parts. just look at the picture of the TJ08e. :D

My favorite Silverstone case is still the SG03 in silver. Nicest looking one IMHO. I wish Silverstone would take the SG03 the way it looks and improve it in some way (without changing the way it looks).

I would like to see a SG02 reboot that kills the old drive cages and makes room for decent fans. I like the horizontal layout a lot.

Also cool would be a small case that can be used either in a traditional fashion with 2 videos cards in SLI etc., or the space above the expansion slots can instead be used for 3.5" drives. Kind of a convertible SFF gaming rig or server based on your needs.

@Tony

That's understandable, I'm sure the sg09 although not as clean as sg08 or tj08e, will still look good enough in person.

Hopefully if the case sells well maybe we might see an updated version in the future with cleaner aesthetics.

@Tony

Thanks for the information! I would choose the early release date over a diffferent front everytime.
Hope to see it in person soon.

cu

Could we have designed the look of the plastic grille differently so that it resembles a metal mesh grille? Yes probably, but it wouldn’t be as strong structurally (going from metal to plastic) and the ventilation wouldn’t be as good as the current design.
I'll take an ever-so-slight reduction in airflow for a quantum leap in aesthetics, thank you very much.

Back