Samsung 30nm 8GB kit
Asus Maximus V Gene z77
2x Evga FTW+ 660TI 3GB in SLI
some cheapy ssds and a hdd

this will be fun

Last edited:
Here's a nice mod in the SG-09:
o0690051712259404381.jpg

MUCH better face. The current face of the "stock" case is so fugly.

Judging by that mod, it seems like it wouldn't take much of a manufacturing change for Silverstone to improve the look of the front of the case. (Then we could all stop whining about it. :) )

I think Wednesday were looking at building his computer using this case, will post pics when I get a chance :)

I've installed the silverstone slimdrive in my '09 case and the DVD's are getting stuck, possible causes?

silverstone's rebrand drive's suck. i've had them before and they always got stuck.

I've had mine together and running very well:

Asus Maximus V GENE
4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC
Corsair H80
2x Intel 330 SSds
SEASONIC X750 GOLD 750w

There is enough space (I'd have to take the side fans off) to fit another GTX 670 when the time comes. With auto fans set, the PC is really not that loud (except on initial startup when its going full bore)

There is not much to mounting the slimdrive, just a holder with some pins that go into the drive on the left side, 2 barckets on the right. The case wraps around the unit.

HaX, why do you think SStone's rebranded drive's suck?

I've had mine together and running very well:

Asus Maximus V GENE
4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC
Corsair H80
2x Intel 330 SSds
SEASONIC X750 GOLD 750w

There is enough space (I'd have to take the side fans off) to fit another GTX 670 when the time comes. With auto fans set, the PC is really not that loud (except on initial startup when its going full bore)

Pictures please :)

There is not much to mounting the slimdrive, just a holder with some pins that go into the drive on the left side, 2 barckets on the right. The case wraps around the unit.

HaX, why do you think SStone's rebranded drive's suck?

Lol, every one i've owned came in doa. I think the ones I ordered were rebrand's of a panasonic drive. But anyways, each time one came in i would put it in my case and the disc would get stuck and it wouldn't be detected by the motherboard. I thought maybe it was because there was too much pressure or something was squishing the drive but that wasn't the case cause i checked and double checked everything, it was just the drive itself and the thing flexed like crazy. I moved to cheapy sony drive and it hasn't given me a problem since. The product itself might not be bad but my experience with them has caused me to stay away from them.

I beleive the one I've got is an LG variant.

Update: got the drive to work, it was binding behind the case bezel.

Last edited:
Sorry for the iphone pics (still saving for a real camera). I did the PSU mod which was somewhat a pita but completely worth it. Loving this case so far, but definitely want to swap some case fans out and cut my own PSU cables to length in the future. For now I am just going to enjoy it :)

dL6dcl.jpg

Hey, Jon Lee, did you run into this when you took apart the x-750?

It looks like there is a tin casing around the switch and plug:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Should I rip it off? Or is that solder hiding a screw? :-/

photo4.jpg

This is what's under.

So let it be known. The Seasonic x850's plug cannot be reoriented.

Also, I must have broke something in the process of taking it apart and putting it back together. The PSU no longer boots my machine.

Expensive lesson to learn. :(

photo4.jpg

This is what's under.

So let it be known. The Seasonic x850's plug cannot be reoriented.

Also, I must have broke something in the process of taking it apart and putting it back together. The PSU no longer boots my machine.

Expensive lesson to learn. :(

That completely sucks. Thanks for taking the dive for us.

Just barely opened the box tonight after I got all my stuff together ie Crucial m4 ssd, 3570k, 3tb drive, memory motherboard etc.

Missing a slot load drive....fail. Anyone know a good one?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I opted to go with just a USB DVD drive. IMO optical drives are on their way out, and for me are only needed for initial OS install. Even that 'need' is minimal these days. Virtual Drives and Steam install everything else. So I went with a more versatile approach and picked up a cheap USB drive.

I need to post pics of the setup for you guys, but I like it. For such a small box, it really offers plenty of versatility. For instance, you can actually have 4 SSDs in there if you wanted, though cable routing will become more difficult, the possibility is there. I have 2 SSDs installed in the highest most slots in order to route cables underneath the drives.

As far as the power cord goes, it would be much nicer to have a case that has the power cable plug oriented in the proper direction. However this is certainly not a make or break aspect. Without modification to the PSU, I have mine installed and the case still buttons up nicely. Again, this is just a cable routing issue/ aesthetics, certainly not a usage issue at all.

However, instead of modifying the PSU, it would probably be easier to by a power cord with the angle oriented in the proper direction, and swap it out for the one in the case. But again, this is not completely necessary.

Just finished my build. This case is nicely engineered and very 'clever'. I built it strictly for HTCP duty but with a possible heavy gaming upgrade path.

Asrock z77 pro-m
8gb g.skill ripjaws
old 520 watt Corsair psu
old 5450 AMD video card

Case is super quiet. I couldn't install the optional side 120mm fan because of the Corsair A70 heatsink. Overall I would recommend this case. Can still fit 2xsuper long video cards ie 7970s cross fired.
If you get this case I would also think about getting the Corsair Hydro series for more room and better cooling.

I've just mounted my system in sg09.

The good:
Lot's of space for a "normal" system
Any modular psu with short cables fit in the case
Support huge coolers
Very good build quality
A lot of fans and airflow
Good cable management

The bad:
Very expensive DVD drive
Ugly
Not very quiet (a price to pay in order to get a fresh case)
Not the smaller case in the market (the price to pay in order to get matx, long cards, big atx psu)

In the end I must say I'm very happy with my new mobile gaming desktop!

I'm going to try my first modding in this case!

EDIT (photos):
Comparison with my previous case: CM Elite 431 Plus

Last edited:
Using this for htcp movies only in my living room. Controlling the fans via bios this thing is whisper quiet. Me thinks its your cpu or video card fans being loud.

Slowly building a system in this case. Right now I have my old parts (stuff in my signature) stuffed into it. Really tight fit for the PSU. Corsair's cables are so damn stiff that they're hard to get where they need to go and they're so long that everything is crammed. Fair warning: Not all CPU coolers will fit. My A70 is too big,the top of the heatpipes push against the side panel meaning I can not get it on. Ordered a AIO water cooling unit for it but I won't put that in until I get everything else...Probably. Going to put a Hyper 212 in it this weekend.

Going to replace the Corsair PSU with a Silverstone one and get Silverstone's short cable kit, that will get rid of a lot of the clutter. I'm also going to get an ITX mobo and replace the mechanical hard drive with a mSATA SSD. The mechanical will become an external drive so I will have no traditional drives in the case at all. That will make it really clean.

All in all I really like the case so far. I've wanted a tiny system for a while but I haven't made the jump until now. It's an interesting experience building a system in such a small space.

Put a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, fits pretty easily. Thought it would be hard to fit in, but had no trouble at all.

The short cable kit makes your life much easier!!

Post some photos!

I'll take pictures when I get everything upgraded and in. I'm installing parts in at night after work so I'm not always thinking about taking pictures while doing it.

Here's my SG09 fitted with a Noctua NH-D14 and an Asus GTX680 DirectCU II (it has a triple slot cooler)

I placed my 2 SSD's in the space where the ODD was supposed to be, fit like a glove, and gives me the space behind the mobo to place a 3.5 inch HDD and lots of space to hide my cables.

I did place a 92mm fan at the end of the case in the optional spots to helps extract the hot air emitting from the GPU., works well.

LL

LL

LL

I built a system in this case as well, and I have to say the efficient layout is very nice. It's as small as can be but i might be switching over to a mini itx system soon

Very Nice!!!

Does the CPU cooler touches the graphic card?

The metal bracket used to hold the fans onto the heatsink do indeed touch the GPU's backplate, but since it's a backplate and not the PCB I should be plenty fine. Been running fine for a while now.

The SG09 is the ultimate "air-cooled" matx case ever, I've managed to fit a triple slot cooler, with 3 fans right above it to help it cool even more, and a massive double heatsink CPU cooler with 2 chassis fans right on it.

It's not a case to use with water cooling though, with the lack of space for radiators. I prefer air-cooling with massive heatsinks, better than AIO coolers and much more quiet and way less hassle, no pumps to go bad or anything leaking on my parts.

Anybody know if a Corsair HX750 Would fit in the SG09? I know it says 180mm is the maximum, but was wondering if anybody has tried one of these longer PSU's yet. I really want to go to this smaller form factor on my 3570K system, but I just got this PSU like 2 months back and would hate to replace it already.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should be fine, since this is from the silverstone manual.

"The SG09 supports power supply with depth of up to 204mm. The limitation of power supplies with modular cables is 180mm"

This is how I've set-up my fans after reading about it earlier, and I must say it's definitely helped drop my temps across the board, including my 3.5" hard drive behind the motherboard, which I was thinking might increase in temps.

377c7460_sg09picfans.jpeg

Makes more sense, bottom fans as intakes, and top and rear as exhaust, and now has proved to work better for me after I've tested it.

You sir...need to be working for somebody...that is a very clean design and I agree that silverstone's logo needs a rework. Seriously though, that design is "shut up and take my money" worthy.

+1, hell of a design

Decided to refresh my SG09 with a GTX780, since I game on a 2560x1440 Korean monitor. This time I really put a lot of effort into cable management, it's quite time-consuming on such a small case, but love it nonetheless.

CPU:
i7 26000k @ 4.4ghz

CPU cooler:
Nocua NH-D14

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68

Power Supply:
Kingwin Lazer Platinum LZP-550 550W ( over-sized 180mm length PSU)

RAM:
Corsair XMS3 2GB x 4

Storage:
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Vertex 4 512GB SSD
Western Digital 1 TB Black Caviar

Added Fans:
120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 2
92mm Silenx EFX x 2
80mm Noctua NF-R8

GPU:
EVGA GTX780 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler

Now here come the obligatory pictures:

Last edited:
Hey I'm wondering if anyone has used the short cable kit with a different power supply than silverstone. Judging by some pictures it looks like the seasonic X650(600?) won't work, so I was just wondering if anyone was using another brand that did. I'd like to buy a different Power supply to save money I guess but $30 isn't a huge deal. Just wondering.

PP05 short cable kit will not work with any other PSUs. Only the Strider series can use these.

PP05 short cable kit will not work with any other PSUs. Only the Strider series can use these.

Incorrect, I'm using some of the PP05 cables on my G-series Seasonic. At least the Molex and SATA ohm out the same as the G stock cables and I'm pretty sure I checked the PCIE also but I don't have a GPU at present. Could be the main mobo connector doesn't but it would be worth a try as that one is just a straight one-to-one extension basically.

EDIT: Looked at some connector close-ups of an X-series, it looks like they've split up the mobo connector differently so that one would likely not work without havking the connector up

Last edited:
I stand corrected Stevo, but in my defense it was the 24-pin connector I was thinking about when I made the comment.

The 4+4pin EPS cables tend to be interchangeable between most modular PSUs because they are defined in the ATX v2.2 spec, while the PCIe connectors are defined by Pcisig external cabling spec. That the sata/molex connectors also work between Seasonic G and Strider is a happy coincidence.

(I recently almost burned an SSD because I used a cable I'd made for a Strider in a Zalman PSU. The pinout looked the same, I was lazy and didn't check, then there was smoke from the 12V line. Thankfully, although I'd shorted the 12V line, my SSD only uses the 5V so it works fine. Moral of the story: check with multimeter before you switch PSUs.)

Yeah, I realized I may have jumped the gun on my original response neglecting the Mobo connector. Curiously the gnd connections on all the cables I ohmed out were swapped between Seasonic and Silverstone while the power lines were one-to-one, definitely wrote down and drew everything out twice before connecting(and then on junk hardware first). The Silverstone round cables are so much more compliant than the Seaonic flat cables I had to try it.

Back