Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Another 2007FP + 3007WFP + 2007FP setup... this is mine.

WP_000072.jpg

Sweet :cool: Makes my triple 27" Eyefinity setup look way too wide. I would trade in my three Dell 2709W's for your 30" and two 20" in a heartbeat.

How do you game on that ? I know Eyefinity will not support a Portrait + Landscape + Portrait mode, neither does nVidia ? And SoftTH is just a beta and I thought it only works on DirectX9 games and lower ?

Don't know why the big big VideoCard companies do not support P+L+P in drivers. Would be awesome.

....A bunch of games can be played in softth if you check the softth site. But I think most if not all have to use directx 9, and it breaks punkbuster functionality on some of the more popular games , although that can be patched eventually (supposedly). Other than that I've seen some online vids of people playing some games in windowed mode across the whole PLP desktop. It gives a slight performance hit vs fullscreen. I've read that sli might work in windowed mode (not sure if its buggy or not), while crossfire definitely does not (only 1 gpu used in windowed mode). Other than that the PLP setups are good for gaming on the center monitor while using the side monitors for other apps/multitasking with browsers, online chat, voice/gaming chat, music, email client, etc, and obviously very nice for full desktop usage when not gaming. I'd prob stick with your three 27" if you really want eyefinity gaming.
....Just so you know, I'm planning on doing a 27" cinema display in landscape flanked by two asus 19" 1440x900 led backlit TN's in portrait mode. It should come out similar to the 30" + bookend LCD setups. I already have one of the 19" screens in portrait next to my 28" hannspree, and I just ordered the other 19" today. I know your 2709w's are 1920x1200, but the 19" screen(s) line up decently in portrait with my 27.5" viewable hannspree which is 1920x1200 for now, while I'm waiting on purchasing the 2560x1440 monitor. If you just wanted the side monitors for auxiliary/extra desktop space usage that might work for you.
... I'll post pics whenever I get the whole setup going, but it might be awhile if I decide on a 6990 due to availability, and then I have to order the cinema display shipped to bb after that. I can't get the 27" display until I get a video card that can drive it so the whole thing is held up at the moment. My current gtx260 can't even output to more than two monitors either.

Sweet :cool: Makes my triple 27" Eyefinity setup look way too wide. I would trade in my three Dell 2709W's for your 30" and two 20" in a heartbeat.

How do you game on that ? I know Eyefinity will not support a Portrait + Landscape + Portrait mode, neither does nVidia ? And SoftTH is just a beta and I thought it only works on DirectX9 games and lower ?

Don't know why the big big VideoCard companies do not support P+L+P in drivers. Would be awesome.

I just game on the 30" and use the wing monitors for other things (Browsing ([H] obviously! ;) ), IM, Vent, Outlook for work email, etc...)

Other than that the PLP setups are good for gaming on the center monitor while using the side monitors for other apps/multitasking with browsers, online chat, voice/gaming chat, music, email client, etc, and obviously very nice for full desktop usage when not gaming.

When I get my third monitor I plan on playing with SoftTH and windowed gaming to see if they work well for me, but for now I use it for stuff like this:

Another Use for Multi Monitor Setups by mattlach, on Flickr

Last edited:
Are you playing source in windowed mode there?

I personally use my second monitor for chat/voip/foobar/temps and with every other game I just put the game in windowed mode + no border...it works fine with sc2 and the like, even other source engine games like tf2, but in css it forces the brightness to be 2.2 (max darkness) and everything is way too contrasty/dark. I'm thinking of just making a hotkey on my monitor for changing the gamma and whatnot but if there's a way to do it natively I'd love to hear it

similar use: http://i.imgur.com/CaolZ.jpg

My old setup LG L246WP-BN and NEC 20WMGX2, I eventually added another 20WMGX2 for a triple display setup but I can't find the picture. I unfortunately had to sell all my displays due to a financial situation. Now I'm left with a BenQ 19" TN I got from a friend. It's terrible going from a triple display setup to this.

IMG_0573.jpg

Are you playing source in windowed mode there?

I personally use my second monitor for chat/voip/foobar/temps and with every other game I just put the game in windowed mode + no border...it works fine with sc2 and the like, even other source engine games like tf2, but in css it forces the brightness to be 2.2 (max darkness) and everything is way too contrasty/dark. I'm thinking of just making a hotkey on my monitor for changing the gamma and whatnot but if there's a way to do it natively I'd love to hear it

similar use: http://i.imgur.com/CaolZ.jpg

Nah, I'm running it full screen.

The only downside is that if I need to actually USE anything on the side monitor, rather than just look at it it, as soon as I click, the game minimizes. I've never tried windowed mode... I might give it a try though!

I wish everything supported windowed mode. Its so much more convenient, even playing the actual game on a single monitor like that. Without it, it really ruins multitasking on multiple monitor setups while gaming (off one machine).

My old setup LG L246WP-BN and NEC 20WMGX2, I eventually added another 20WMGX2 for a triple display setup but I can't find the picture. I unfortunately had to sell all my displays due to a financial situation. Now I'm left with a BenQ 19" TN I got from a friend. It's terrible going from a triple display setup to this.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/stevemedes/IMG_0573.jpg?t=1299854421

My heart goes out to you, bud.:(
Things will get better for you soon enough.:D

I wish everything supported windowed mode. Its so much more convenient, even playing the actual game on a single monitor like that. Without it, it really ruins multitasking on multiple monitor setups while gaming (off one machine).

I definitely agree with this, to take this even further I wish everything supported borderless windowed mode ala Mass Effect 2/WoW.

While SLI works in windowed mode, it's akin to a car traveling on deflated wheels. It can be done, but you don't want to do it.

@corry
Sleek. Do you recommend those speakers? And where is your sub?

Thanks,
the speakers are really good; sub is under my desk

Do I recommend them? No.

With the money spent on these speakers, you can probably get something way better.

heh.. am I in the right thread? There have been setups like that on this thread for years now. Some people's replies are acting like his setup is unique. Its a nice PLP setup though - not knocking it , but there is are a ton of other PLP pictures and info in this thread (amongst others).

Yes that is my 5B with a OBR 30.5 fullmod in it. :)

I never move it cuz I broke 1 of the clamps. soo it stays. I have never had any problems with my Keyboard or mouse. at all. For the gaming I run the wired G500 and for movies I use a MX Revolution. Never found to have any problems at all.

before.jpg

Here is a cleaner picture from my desk than first posted. Complete collection of input devices as a bonus (of course never used in this config, just for the pic :D)
desk.jpg

24 27 27 24

Nice LCD graphics tablet there. Do you find that more intuitive than a smaller traditional tablet + looking up at vertical screens?

It's actually just a biiiiiiiig wacom, it allows me to work with the tablet on a big screen surface while keeping screen/tablet movement ratio close to 1:1 :)
Some people don't get used not looking at the surface they draw on but if you do, this wacom XL is great :D

I was wondering if anyone has some PLP setups that aren't of the common 20-30-20 Dell design as I am thinking of doing a 19-28-19?

[Spun Ducky] I was wondering if anyone has some PLP setups that aren't of the common 20-30-20 Dell design as I am thinking of doing a 19-28-19?

.....I actually am working on doing that. I bought a 19" Asus LED backlit 1440x900 and put it on an ergo-style arm in portrait mode next to m y 27.5" viewable hannspree 1920x1200 for now. I did this to see how I liked the 19" screen.
.... My plan was to get a 27" LED backlit 2560x1440 apple cinema display and new gpu to drive it, and put a 19" 1440x900 on each side for PLP.
....I needed a new gpu to drive the apple cinema display (ACD) 's minidp input, so I was just waiting on the 6990 to come out to see if I liked it and could swing the price. I have 14 days to return the ACD after I get it, so I wanted to be sure I would have a gpu installed beforehand in order to fully test it during this return period.

...I didn't take any pictures of the 28" (27.5" viewable) Hannspree TN with the single 19" Asus LED backlit TN next to it to show you , sorry, but it does line up pretty nicely size-wise. It also gave me a good impression of 1440 high resolution and text size before I decided on ordering the 27" ACD. My second 19" asus arrived today but my current gtx 260 can't drive three monitors, so its still in the box.
... Btw I bought the 6990 outright with my tax return, and I'm doing 18-month no-interest at bb for the monitor. It turned out to be cheaper than internet prices even after taxes due to shipping costs, plus I can return it to store if I have any problems (though they don't keep any in stock so can't quick-swap), and the 4yr svc contract was only $60 on it which beats anywhere else I found (even squaretrade).
...My 6990 should arrive Wednesday, and my 27" ACD is supposed to arrive for pickup at bb friday. Hopefully I will have a few pics to post here this weekend, if all goes well.

I was wondering if anyone has some PLP setups that aren't of the common 20-30-20 Dell design as I am thinking of doing a 19-28-19?

I was looking into that as well, but I decided to go with 3x 28" instead because of the lack of nvidia surround support.

I was looking into that as well, but I decided to go with 3x 28" instead because of the lack of nvidia surround support.

Well I already have a 3x1 eyefinity portrait setup and I figure since I have one of the hannsg 28 lcds sitting around as well I could grab up 2 19 inchers to make a custom hex setup. have the PLP bottom then run eyefinity top in landscape probably.

The mounting isn't tough as I already have enough of the 3 way adjustable wall mount arms from monoprice. I also have a laser level so its been pretty simple making them look good. I will have to put up pics when i get it all finished but for now I will just have to live with quad monitors. :D

Back