Shogun 2: Total War

niiiice, I hope they do rome2 total war later on as well.... I wonder what they could do after that though?

Other than doing something really like the warhammer/LOTR mods and such... *cough* (Fantasy: Total War)
 
I hope that Creative never goes the Fantasy route - it usually means the end of the empire. Fantasy General, for example, was the beginning of the end for the superb Panzer General series.
 
Can't wait for this. I too am disappointed with the current TW games that have guns in them I always liked soliders with bows :D
 
yay. Huge TW fan here, but i HATED Empire. Glad to see this going back to roots
 
started with shogun, then to rome, those are the only two games from the series that I loved, I still have rome and play it, Im finishing a greek campaign as we speak :D
 
Rome really hasn't aged all that badly. Shogun on the other hand wasn't even fully 3D.

I aplaud their decision. I wonder if there will be Mongols though...
 
Loved the original shogun, and thought the series went downhill after that, hope they manage to recapture that awesome.
 
If the enemy doesn't randomly spawn money and armies out of thin air, then it will be great.
 
That's asking a lot, Parmenides. :D

Seriously, I will only be getting this if they truly improve the AI this time around.
 
The first TW game I played was Rome, but i've owned every one since and that was my favorite. Can't wait for this!
 
That's asking a lot, Parmenides. :D

Seriously, I will only be getting this if they truly improve the AI this time around.

Heheh, probably too much for them. They don't seem to care about improving AI. Rome was pure awesome.... except if you wanted a challenge..... Rather than fighting a king or general, I felt like I was playing Defense Tower on the world map, with the only difference being that I could attack invade their turf too. World map strategies weren't military/campaign strategies, but counter-AI strategies instead. A lot of cool strategies became useless when you played a harder skill level, since the AI just auto-spawned whatever they wanted.

I really wanted to try Medieval, but after hearing the the AI is Rome. I skipped. Skipping the latest too. I'm skipping all Total War games until they overhaul the AI, in which the series is otherwise very awesome.
 
Last edited:
Having played all the Total War games since Rome, I'm excited for a return to Shogun Total War. I've always found the area/history interesting, yet the lack of 3D in the original put me off.

However, I really hope they remake Rome Total War with the next game. I'd LOVE to play the updated version of it!
 
cool. I skipped Napoleon because it didn't look different enough from Empire and I played the crap out of that. I do hope they improve the AI though.
 
niiiice, I hope they do rome2 total war later on as well.... I wonder what they could do after that though?

Other than doing something really like the warhammer/LOTR mods and such... *cough* (Fantasy: Total War)

The only thing that made Rome: TW not perfect was the absence of naval battles. With what they did in Empire and Napoleon, I would say a remake of Rome would be the bestest thing that could happen :D

But for now I will look forward to Shogun II :cool:
 
I enjoyed the first Shogun Total war.
I'm sort of torn on this, like I was with Medieval II, the time period is interesting, and provides a good mix of mounted, ranged, and melee units that gives about as much complexity to the battle system as you can find anywhere in games. But there are also so many places Total war can experiment with instead of re-hashing their own territory.
I'm less disappointed by a remake of Shogun than I was by Medieval II since both the battle and the strategic map have evolved so much since the original. I'd equally enjoy a modern total war, or an American total war (focusing on the westward expansion and conflict with European powers in North America), or even something focusing more on mainland Asia (China / Mongols) unification and expansion would mix things up.

I'll be buying and sinking more hours of my life than I'd like to admit into it... as long as I'm done with Civ 5 by the time it's out.
 
Looking pretty sweet. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing a fantasy Total War at some point, but I guess that's too much of a niche market for these guys to consider.
 
Show me some videos demonstrating the AI has really been improved and I'll be impressed.
 
Wow, graphics have come a loooong way. Didn't think I'd see a strategy game with hundreds of soldiers on screen, each so extravagantly detailed, so soon.
 
Fantastic, I hated Napoleon Total War. I like castles and swords. Forts and musketmen bore me to tears. I actually went and bought Napoleon right away after reading the reviews and after how much I enjoyed Medieval II. Not going to go for that again.
 
Eh, I loved Empire/Napoleon era total war games, it was a nice change of pace since virtually most RTS games are medieval and/or fantasy based. We hardly get any set around the Napoleon era.

I just hope after Shogun 2 it isn't again set in that or medieval era.
 
Eh, I loved Empire/Napoleon era total war games, it was a nice change of pace since virtually most RTS games are medieval and/or fantasy based. We hardly get any set around the Napoleon era.

I just hope after Shogun 2 it isn't again set in that or medieval era.

I like the era just not the weaponry.
 
Eh, I loved Empire/Napoleon era total war games, it was a nice change of pace since virtually most RTS games are medieval and/or fantasy based. We hardly get any set around the Napoleon era.

I just hope after Shogun 2 it isn't again set in that or medieval era.

I think it overwhelmingly likely that after Shogun 2 we will get Rome 2. In fact, I hope we do.
 
I'd like something new/different then what we've already gotten.

WWI for example, how many WWI rts games are there? Let alone AAA ones.
 
Agreed with so many above, Rome was the best TW thus far. It needs a remake next.

I did not like the last one at all, anyone else feel the same way? There is something more satisfying about strategically sending in melee units or cavalry or properly positioning archers (with limited ammo).

Looking pretty sweet. Personally, I'd enjoy seeing a fantasy Total War at some point, but I guess that's too much of a niche market for these guys to consider.

A fantasy general TW would be awesome. Have you played King Arthur? It has a few of the TW elements. A very good game while you're waiting for a fantasy TW.
 
Why is Rome better than Medieval 2? I never played Medieval. Just wondering.

Rome was awesome through and through... except one big problem: Their AI was weak. Every Total War since then, I've heard reports that the AI has not improved.
 
Agreed with so many above, Rome was the best TW thus far. It needs a remake next.

I did not like the last one at all, anyone else feel the same way? There is something more satisfying about strategically sending in melee units or cavalry or properly positioning archers (with limited ammo).



A fantasy general TW would be awesome. Have you played King Arthur? It has a few of the TW elements. A very good game while you're waiting for a fantasy TW.

Rome was my favorite as well. The theme and gameplay just mixed so well. Empire was a huge disappointment. I gave a second shot recently and it still failed to draw me in. I like some of the campaign map enhancements made, specifically the neato tech tree and how provinces develop. But combat, particularly fort warfare, was just a buzz kill.
 
Back
Top