SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

niclas90 Finally got to put my machine through some gaming, and the results are indeed better than I expected!

Per HWMonitor:
~40 minutes of PUBG @ Ultra settings --> 79*C max package temperature
~30 minutes of CSGO @ whatever max is FPS uncapped --> INSANE 92*C or something
Capped at 200FPS: 75*C max package temp

Looks like the cooler does indeed make a difference, even with delidding in place!

Note also that I've got an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC so LP53 doesn't fit with the fins parallel to RAM, so I think if cooler was placed optimally things could be even cooler!

niclas90 Finally got to put my machine through some gaming, and the results are indeed better than I expected!

Per HWMonitor:

Looks like the cooler does indeed make a difference, even with delidding in place!

Note also that I've got an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC so LP53 doesn't fit with the fins parallel to RAM, so I think if cooler was placed optimally things could be even cooler!
The LP53 doesn't fit parallel to RAM? That's surprising, the ASRock Z270 ITX motherboard layout looks very similar to the Z170 Fatal1ty I had and I was able to get the fins parallel. I oriented the heat pipes towards the RAM slots and it was a pretty tight fit but it worked. Here's a picture of my old Intel setup:

WEUOyQt.jpg

Per HWMonitor:

Sounds like there is indeed a small difference. I've never hit 92C+ though. I guess it's just a random spike, and probably not anything to be worried about. You could try testing with Prime v26.6 to be sure.

The LP53 doesn't fit parallel to RAM? That's surprising, the ASRock Z270 ITX motherboard layout looks very similar to the Z170 Fatal1ty I had and I was able to get the fins parallel. I oriented the heat pipes towards the RAM slots and it was a pretty tight fit but it worked. Here's a picture of my old Intel setup:

WEUOyQt.jpg

Cool man, thanks for the pics of your previous setup! I played around with the orientation a bunch but it looks like the spacing is indeed different on the z270 layout, and I don't think it has to do with my RAM (Vengeance LPX) being chunky or anything:

IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG

IIRC I saw one other poster talking about this specific mobo having the same issue with LP53. EDIT: Found it! Cheers again jisaku_taro for an amazing build log!

I'm curious if anyone who has the z270 Fatal1ty could chime in to see if the CPU/RAM layout allows for fins parallel to RAM on that board instead. That would be a huge benefit that I'd be willing to try and sell/replace this mobo TBH if anyone can confirm.

Sounds like there is indeed a small difference. I've never hit 92C+ though. I guess it's just a random spike, and probably not anything to be worried about. You could try testing with Prime v26.6 to be sure.

I'm really new to stress testing, so I appreciate the specific recommendation on Prime v26.6! If I'm trying to undervolt/overclock CPU and probably even my GPU (1080 FE), would you recommend using the same?

Last edited:
Cool man, thanks for the pics of your previous setup! I played around with the orientation a bunch but it looks like the spacing is indeed different on the z270 layout, and I don't think it has to do with my RAM (Vengeance LPX) being chunky or anything:

IIRC I saw one other poster talking about this specific mobo having the same issue with LP53. EDIT: Found it! Cheers again jisaku_taro for an amazing build log!

I'm curious if anyone who has the z270 Fatal1ty could chime in to see if the CPU/RAM layout allows for fins parallel to RAM on that board instead. That would be a huge benefit that I'd be willing to try and sell/replace this mobo TBH if anyone can confirm.

I found this build log, which I actually referred to on the SFF Network forums when I was asking around about the LP53. Turns out that motherboard was indeed the Z270 Fatal1ty ITX and not the regular non-gaming Z270 ITX, which may explain why I was able to use the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM whereas you are not able. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-118#post-1043127724

I found this build log, which I actually referred to on the SFF Network forums when I was asking around about the LP53. Turns out that motherboard was indeed the Z270 Fatal1ty ITX and not the regular non-gaming Z270 ITX, which may explain why I was able to use the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM whereas you are not able. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-118#post-1043127724

Ha! I 100% found your SFFF post that linked back to that post during my rabbithole searching :D

I appreciate your thoughts and recall on this question very much!

Looks like I've some mobo replacement to ponder now

I'm really new to stress testing, so I appreciate the specific recommendation on Prime v26.6! If I'm trying to undervolt/overclock CPU and probably even my GPU (1080 FE), would you recommend using the same?

For testing the stability of an undervolted chip Prime v26.6 will work just fine. I usually just use the stresstest tool included in Intel XTU (used for undervolting the CPU) though. I've managed to undervolt my 7700k by -0,060 V. I was hoping for a bit more, but the system starts to crash with an offset of -0,065 V.
I didn't get any significant amount of performance/cooling out of undervolting my 1080 Ti, but please report back if you gain anything (as i'd like to know how then ;) )

For testing the stability of an undervolted chip Prime v26.6 will work just fine. I usually just use the stresstest tool included in Intel XTU (used for undervolting the CPU) though. I've managed to undervolt my 7700k by -0,060 V. I was hoping for a bit more, but the system starts to crash with an offset of -0,065 V.
I didn't get any significant amount of performance/cooling out of undervolting my 1080 Ti, but please report back if you gain anything (as i'd like to know how then ;) )

Fantastic, I appreciate you sharing your experience with CPU-side stuff. I'll hopefully get to tinker a bit over the next couple of weekends. I hope I'll be able to share something back with you re: GPU-side tweaks :D

Ha! I 100% found your SFFF post that linked back to that post during my rabbithole searching :D

I appreciate your thoughts and recall on this question very much!

Looks like I've some mobo replacement to ponder now

My pleasure, hope it works out for you. Personally I don't know if the temperature difference is significant enough to justify the cost and hassle of switching motherboards, but I can also see how every degree counts for an i7-7700K in a Zaber Sentry.

Ryzen's rectangular cooler mounting and the brackets on the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 meant the only possible orientation was perpendicular to the DRAM slots. Speaking of which, I'm considering switching to G.Skill Flare X RAM for better Ryzen compatibility, but wondering if anyone has experience using RAM that isn't "low profile" like my Corsair Vengeance LPX. I was able to find one post earlier in the thread with the same RAM modules. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-126#post-1043195386

The Hynix Corsair LPX is leftover from my Intel build, XMP 3000 MHz at 15-17-17-35. Doesn't boot at 2933 MHz, boots at 3066 MHz, but takes a little while to POST even when I loosen the timings to 16-18-18-36. Occasionally it just won't POST and I have to power cycle a few times to get it to boot. Also get the occasional black screen during use, so I have a feeling my overclock isn't exactly stable.

Ryzen's rectangular cooler mounting and the brackets on the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 meant the only possible orientation was perpendicular to the DRAM slots. Speaking of which, I'm considering switching to G.Skill Flare X RAM for better Ryzen compatibility, but wondering if anyone has experience using RAM that isn't "low profile" like my Corsair Vengeance LPX. I was able to find one post earlier in the thread with the same RAM modules. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-126#post-1043195386

I remember following along past discussion with anxiety regarding RAM heights. I found this from SaperPL himself about max height without HDD bracket being ~51mm. G.Skill purports that the Flare X set is 40mm tall so I think you're in good shape-- assuming there are not tricky overhang/clearance issues with the edges of your cooler and all that.

I remember following along past discussion with anxiety regarding RAM heights. I found this from SaperPL himself about max height without HDD bracket being ~51mm. G.Skill purports that the Flare X set is 40mm tall so I think you're in good shape-- assuming there are not tricky overhang/clearance issues with the edges of your cooler and all that.

Nice, thank you for finding that, appreciate the help!

Finally received my Sentry and it's awesome!

My parts list

- Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / 0.975V
- 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Black 1866Mhz
- AsRock Z87E-ITX
- EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition iCX
- Noctua NH L9i
- Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
- Silverstone SFX-L 500W

I had to mount the SSD underneath the GPU because of the temps, this way it runs 14 degrees cooler under full system load.

The overall temperatures under full load are not that bad for such a small case.

Horizontal
CPU: 76°C
GPU: 84°C
SSD: 48°C

Vertical
CPU: 76°C
GPU: 76°C
SSD: 45°C

WP_20180217_10_27_38_Rich.jpg

A big thanks to Dr. Zaber for this beautiful case!!

Good afternoon,

I'm planning to build a PC using this case (bought a white one at the launch) and I have a few questions/looking for advice.

What cooler is the best to use for both amd/intel? I currently plan to buy either a 8700k or a 1700x.

What type of gpu cooler is best? I would assume blower but I'm all ears to what one performs at peak.

What power supply should I buy? I'm currently looking at the SF600.

Thanks in advance :)

What cooler is the best to use for both amd/intel? I currently plan to buy either a 8700k or a 1700x.

I've only looked at Intel, and can tell you that the 8700K runs hot. Apparently even hotter than the 7700K that I've got in my build. A popular mod here and with other SFF cases was the take the excellent quality all-copper heatsink from a Cooltek / Thermolab LP53 and attach a Noctua NF-A9x14 fan (the same one that comes with the NH-L9i in case you've one of those around) onto it with wire, zip ties, etc. I have that on mine and it seems to do okay cooling the CPU, but bear in mind that I've delidded my 7700K. Delidding is kind of a big step, but it really helps with the latest Intel K CPUs.

What type of gpu cooler is best? I would assume blower but I'm all ears to what one performs at peak.

I've got a GTX 1080 Founders and the fan is kinda louder than I expected it to be, but far from a dealbreaker for me. There are posts deep in the thread that seem to show comparable performance with either blowers or open-air coolers so long as your Sentry is vertical. I *think* horizontal still favored blowers. Not 100% certain since I had my GPU before Sentry and wasn't going to change anyhow :p

What power supply should I buy? I'm currently looking at the SF600.

SF600 is big enough to make cable management a problem. Personally, I think that SF450 will suffice unless you're planning to do major overclocks. And if you're planning to do major overclocks, I'm not sure if Sentry is equipped to really deal with the extra heat anyhow but then again this is Hardforum so maybe you're up to the challenge :]

The SF450 & SF600 are the same size, 100mm x 63mm x 125mm.

Yeah I have both the 450 and 600, one in each of my Sentry pc's. Same size, same cables as stiff as concrete. That's the real limitation is the cables.

...Oh my gosh wow. How I somehow thought they were physically different in size is beyond me. Thanks for correcting my misinformation...!

Verified though that the stick cables at least on my SF450 we're damn near unusable in terms of cable management. I ended up getting custom ones.

...Oh my gosh wow. How I somehow thought they were physically different in size is beyond me. Thanks for correcting my misinformation...!

Verified though that the stick cables at least on my SF450 we're damn near unusable in terms of cable management. I ended up getting custom ones.

I'm just about to start my build. Might I ask which custom cables you bought?

Speaking for myself, I got cablemod cables. They are expensive. Also for a few of their cables like sata power, iirc, the shortest option is still quite long for Sentry. Overall I'm glad I did it.

There are other smaller, single man operations that do custom cables and sleeving. Usually better and cheaper, but it depends how quickly you want them as they can take longer.

I ended up going with custom cabling from an [H] member who I believe was active in this thread earlier. He is based in the US which was attractive to me over Cablemods. I think I was his last cabling customer though, since his site now has a little pop-up about being on hiatus: http://avaentum.com/

In case it helps with maybe Cablemods or some other service, here are the lengths I selected that worked out pretty nicely:

Motherboard 24pin: 10in
CPU Power: 16in
GPU Power: 12in

EDIT: Installed on an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC

Last edited:
I ended up going with custom cabling from an [H] member who I believe was active in this thread earlier. He is based in the US which was attractive to me over Cablemods. I think I was his last cabling customer though, since his site now has a little pop-up about being on hiatus: http://avaentum.com/

In case it helps with maybe Cablemods or some other service, here are the lengths I selected that worked out pretty nicely:

Motherboard 24pin: 10in
CPU Power: 16in
GPU Power: 12in

Ive heard of him. Good stuff. I wasn't sure if he was still making cables. I checked his website, I think that popup is an ad? I clicked it and my browser got hijacked.

Ive heard of him. Good stuff. I wasn't sure if he was still making cables. I checked his website, I think that popup is an ad? I clicked it and my browser got hijacked.

Yeah, it's formatted kinda oddly. That link goes to a new site that is something else he's working on, but IIRC it's entirely out of the PC hardware space. I just copied the text in case anyone else is curious:

This is just a note to let you know that I unfortunately have to take a little break from cable sleeving for now so as such I won't be accepting the bulk of any new orders. I will likely still do S4 Mini cable sets I'm not totally sure when I'll be back online and ready for orders again but I'm hoping that it to be within a month or two. Sorry for any inconvienience :[

Feel free to check out what I'm up to right now tho!

[Link to his new project]

His cabling was fantastic and he is a super friendly dude. If he decides to get back in the cabling game I'd strongly encourage working with Avaentum if you're Stateside. Beats the heck out of Cablemod shipping from across the pond.

Which mobo do you have? I need lenghts for asus z270i

D'oh! Forgot to include that important bit of info. I'm running an ASRock Z270M-ITX/AC. My lengths have a decent amount of wiggle room so hopefully it will work for most other layouts. IIRC, ASRock and ASUS Z270 ITX boards have a pretty similar general layout. Gigabyte is the only other one I researched and it had a lot different layout for some of the power connectors.

ZeroPucks and other builders out there who might also be interested in how LP53 cooler fits on ASRock ITX motherboards, MrNateTheGreat is awesome and replied to a PM with very interesting follow-up on his build log photos that showed the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM on his ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty mobo.

Turns out the parallel-to-RAM fin orientation did not provide anything more than negligible improvements in cooling versus perpendicular. In fact, doing so was stressing other components on top of being only of middling improvement. Excepted from our conversation (with his approval, and emphasis mine):

So I ended up rotating it back to the fins being perpendicular to the ram (and in-line with the I/O shield). I think I had tried to make it fit parallel, but it was pushing really hard on the onboard stick of ram and I was worried about having issues since I travel with my computer often. I did run it parallel for a little bit though and can’t really say I’ve noticed a difference in temps either way. I’d say you’re ok leaving it perpendicular.
So bottom line, it fits... but is super tight and is pushing the ram over hard if I did it parallel. It might work if the ram had a thinner heat spreader, but I’d not even bother. Getting the cooler in parallel felt like I was gonna break the ram and that worried me more than having the fins fit my OCD. Haha.

ZeroPucks and other builders out there who might also be interested in how LP53 cooler fits on ASRock ITX motherboards, MrNateTheGreat is awesome and replied to a PM with very interesting follow-up on his build log photos that showed the LP53 with fins parallel to RAM on his ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty mobo.

Turns out the parallel-to-RAM fin orientation did not provide anything more than negligible improvements in cooling versus perpendicular. In fact, doing so was stressing other components on top of being only of middling improvement. Excepted from our conversation (with his approval, and emphasis mine):

I figured as much. I think I read a similar experience in this thread or the one on SFF Network saying the difference was negligible. As it is the NH-L9a-AM4 in my current build only fits perpendicular to the RAM slots for Ryzen motherboards, and my temperatures are perfectly fine under load. With that anecdotal evidence in mind, I think you can rest easy with your current motherboard.

I just wanted to add to the conversation. I couldn't justify the high cost of custom length cables, so I personally chose to buy Corsair's own individually sleeved cables for $39.99 USD. They are still the same length as the ribbon cables, but are much easier to work with in a tight case like the Sentry. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRWN5M2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just wanted to add to the conversation. I couldn't justify the high cost of custom length cables, so I personally chose to buy Corsair's own individually sleeved cables for $39.99 USD. They are still the same length as the ribbon cables, but are much easier to work with in a tight case like the Sentry. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRWN5M2

Thanks, I grabbed those cables from Amazon. Not the ultimate fix but I'm not waiting forever to put this together and the included Corsair cables are horrible.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I reused my GSkill 3866 sticks in an Asrock Z370 ITX Fatality board. It works, but it is an extremely tight fit.. uncomfortably so.

Can anyone recommend something that is slimmer?

Well I mean they work.. but it's tight.

In the end I robbed these 2 sticks from my workstation (32GB 4x8 kit), so rather than modding I'd prefer to just stick them back in there and pick up something new. Long story short but the workstation is getting an overhaul this fall, so I was going to limp along until then.

Sorted out I think.. ordered: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengea...00mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2z3200c16

Last edited:
Well guys, I sold my gtx 1080 Founders Edition (for a small profit at that ;)) in anticipation of the currently still rumored next gen gpu's from Nvidia. If they are indeed released in spring/summer I'll be sure to be one of the first to try the next gen xx80 gpu in Sentry. Here's hoping it's a good bit better (even 10% would be great) than 1080ti but at lower power and heat. Already got the funds set aside (y) looking forward to having even more reckless amounts of performance in Sentry.

Maybe by then Ryzen refresh will be out too. Tempted to upgrade the old 4790k and move to a new platform. :D what a time to be a sff enthusiast!

Well guys, I sold my gtx 1080 Founders Edition (for a small profit at that ;)) in anticipation of the currently still rumored next gen gpu's from Nvidia. If they are indeed released in spring/summer I'll be sure to be one of the first to try the next gen xx80 gpu in Sentry. Here's hoping it's a good bit better (even 10% would be great) than 1080ti but at lower power and heat. Already got the funds set aside (y) looking forward to having even more reckless amounts of performance in Sentry.

Maybe by then Ryzen refresh will be out too. Tempted to upgrade the old 4790k and move to a new platform. :D what a time to be a sff enthusiast!
Best of luck to you and all of us alike. I’d jump on the same train, but fear playing Pubg on a 560 would be tuff:dead:

Oh no, why'd you give me the idea...

Anyone know if the iGPU on a 7700K can handle Overwatch at any quality settings for at least 144FPS? :p

Best of luck to you and all of us alike. I’d jump on the same train, but fear playing Pubg on a 560 would be tuff:dead:

Luckily my "home office" Sentry has a 1060 3gb if I need to get my gaming fix, if my girlfriend is willing to share haha. Though I need to focus on my dissertation now anyway so its best to not have too many distractions.

Oh no, why'd you give me the idea...

Anyone know if the iGPU on a 7700K can handle Overwatch at any quality settings for at least 144FPS? :p

Lol good luck with that. You could always get a GT 1030 in the meantime haha better than nothing. Honestly the current used market is a sellers dream! I don't ever recall a time when almost 2yr old tech sells for more than the original price. It's crazy! I'm taking a bit of a gamble assuming Nvidia will release new gpu's soon but I feel like it's worth it.

Some RAM compatibility anecdotes: I first tried the Team Dark Pro 3200 MHz CL14 modules which are 45 mm tall, but the heat spreader design means it doesn't conflict with the bracket. And even if it didn't fit, I had the option to unscrew the plastic piece at the top, which is separate from the actual aluminum heat spreader and reduces the height by a good amount. Unfortunately even with Samsung B-die memory, it failed to boot on my motherboard. I updated the BIOS and finally got it to boot, but couldn't overclock to 3200 MHz. So I downgraded the UEFI and switched out for G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz CL14, very pricey but the guaranteed compatibility was nice and overclocking was ridiculously easy.

Even though the Flare X is only 40 mm tall, the design of the heat spreader means the Sentry's HDD bracket will rest on top of the RAM module. There isn't any pressure or tight fit, but there isn't complete clearance like there was with the Vengeance LPX or Team Dark Pro. The G.Skill Flare X comes with temperature sensors and temps don't seem to be affected, and 30 minutes in RealBench (8GB allocated) went fine, and the faster RAM gave me a couple more points in Cinebench R15. I was still able to mount my 2.5" SSDs without any problems. Some pictures for anyone looking into these modules for use in the Sentry:

lkoTvCK.jpg

cXSKK1p.jpg

yzitxhb.jpg

Some RAM compatibility anecdotes: I first tried the Team Dark Pro 3200 MHz CL14 modules which are 45 mm tall, but the heat spreader design means it doesn't conflict with the bracket. And even if it didn't fit, I had the option to unscrew the plastic piece at the top, which is separate from the actual aluminum heat spreader and reduces the height by a good amount. Unfortunately even with Samsung B-die memory, it failed to boot on my motherboard. I updated the BIOS and finally got it to boot, but couldn't overclock to 3200 MHz. So I downgraded the UEFI and switched out for G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz CL14, very pricey but the guaranteed compatibility was nice and overclocking was ridiculously easy.

Even though the Flare X is only 40 mm tall, the design of the heat spreader means the Sentry's HDD bracket will rest on top of the RAM module. There isn't any pressure or tight fit, but there isn't complete clearance like there was with the Vengeance LPX or Team Dark Pro. The G.Skill Flare X comes with temperature sensors and temps don't seem to be affected, and 30 minutes in RealBench (8GB allocated) went fine, and the faster RAM gave me a couple more points in Cinebench R15. I was still able to mount my 2.5" SSDs without any problems. Some pictures for anyone looking into these modules for use in the Sentry:

In the first image it kind of looks like the stick is not fully pressed into the slot because the ram radiators are blocked by the hdd bracket by the corner, and you could install the ram with radiators if you detached the hdd bracket, installed the ram and then reattached the bracket since the ram radiators have cut corners there. Really weird shot :p

Also note that there should be short countersunk screws in the package for the purpose of mounting that hdd bracket so the won't stand out this much and will let you install second 2.5" drive into that bracket.

In the first image it kind of looks like the stick is not fully pressed into the slot because the ram radiators are blocked by the hdd bracket by the corner, and you could install the ram with radiators if you detached the hdd bracket, installed the ram and then reattached the bracket since the ram radiators have cut corners there. Really weird shot :p

Also note that there should be short countersunk screws in the package for the purpose of mounting that hdd bracket so the won't stand out this much and will let you install second 2.5" drive into that bracket.

Hah, sorry for the confusion! But yes, the RAM design slopes diagonally at the corners so I was able to press it in completely with the HDD bracket just barely touching the corner. https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-pro-ddr4

I did not know about the screws for the bracket! I've been using those other screws this entire time :facepalm: For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues mounting two SSDs in that bracket.

For what it's worth, I tried the Flare-X memory in my Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac board and it would not fit. The RAM slots must sit just slightly higher and therefore the hard drive bracket has to install at an upward angle.

Mostly just a reminder that it's such a close fit that we're talking about tiny variances that will make or break the clearance.

Last edited:
Ugh, finished my build today and the GPU riser doesn't work.

Is there a US based source for the appropriate 3M risers, or any other high-quality part that will work? I've spent way too much time on this to have not yet used it.

Attaching a pic of the one that was included with my case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dipuezkn8priycr/riser.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Ugh, finished my build today and the GPU riser doesn't work.

Is there a US based source for the appropriate 3M risers, or any other high-quality part that will work? I've spent way too much time on this to have not yet used it.

Attaching a pic of the one that was included with my case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dipuezkn8priycr/riser.jpg?dl=0

Being unable to get to the boot screen after a build is an unfortunate ending to any build.

I tend not to assume on the internet and want to double check so things with you before jumping straight to a replacement purchase.

Did you test run your build out of the case before assembly, with and possibly without the riser? If so did it boot properly? Does the computer stay on, primarily, is the GPU on as well when the screwn is blank?

Sometimes re-slotting the riser helps or “adjusting the bend” may help as it did in my case. I had a cable putting pressure on it as well so adjusting that may have also solved my blank screen issue. (Made to many adjustments in between booting to accurately pinpoint the culprit).

Also send a pm to SaperPL or ZombiePL and I’m sure they’d be more that happy to help any fellow Sentry owner with problems/concerns.

Back